Vans Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

4.3
Vans Global Brand President  Doug Palladini  (no image)
Doug Palladini
Pros
  • "Great discount, good people, good environment(in 121 reviews)

• "Fun work environment, good discount(in 70 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay, stress factors aren't worth it at times, most if not all of the shoes after tax are worth more than your paycheck(in 48 reviews)

• "Minimum wage, inconsistent schedule at times(in 36 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vans and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

FUN

May 6, 2021 - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great starting job! Fun coworkers, good scheduling, and great experiences.

Cons

No bad reviews for this one guys sorry!

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Experiences can vary

Apr 19, 2021 - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Gilroy, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed dress code, good discount, possible to have a fun work environment. Depending on your SM, DM, it can be very valuable resume building experience. However, that is generally not the case.

Cons

ASM is easily the worst position in the store. 90-95% of the responsibility of a SM but only about half the pay, while entry-level associates will get 3/4 your pay and have no added responsibility. Brutal retail scheduling, not as bad as big box store hours but still bad. Unless you have a great SM (you probably won’t) that knows how to schedule and hire. The illusion of upward mobility. Corporate talks a big game and has training plans on paper, but they will fall short of meeting the terms of your employment agreement. That goes for raises and for promotion opportunity. Outside talent gets paid more than homegrown. Corporate will issue changes without considering the effect on operations. They are functionally retarded when it comes to actually implementing their ideas in a real store.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Talks the talk

May 3, 2021 - Director in Costa Mesa, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of amazing people with many diverse talents and interests. The brand has real promise to continue long term growth. Lots of low hanging fruit both in the business and how the brand operates.

Cons

Vans executive leadership cares more about talking the talk than walking the walk. From I&D efforts to things like being consumer led, real strategic and long lasting actions are not being taken. Lots of box checking and time spent preparing scripts vs instituting real change.

4. 5.0

Great Place to work

May 6, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff, great place to work.

Cons

Low pay with limited hours

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent Place to Work Considering it's Retailxd

May 8, 2021 - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a company that actually cares about valid, real-world issues and takes a stand on them.

Cons

Sometimes they implement things when it's either too late or doesn't make sense at the time.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Vans for 2 years

Apr 22, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

good for just starting out, if you're still living with your parents and not in dire need of more than 400$ a month

Cons

ranged from 12-16 hours a week, the 4 hour shifts weren't worth it if you had a longer drive to work, and management went downhill real fast, towards the end of my time there once everybody quit and they had to hire all new people ... it started out incredible when i first got there bc the vibes were good, and i actually liked coming to work despite having the small pay, low hours, etc but once you start getting new people that get easily rude when they get stressed out , and move people like that up, it's not worth it anymore... the good vibes were no longer present

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun, easy, great first job

May 2, 2021 - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The environment is filled with fun people who acre about eachother and try and help you in any way you can. The starting pay is great and you get amazing discounts.

Cons

peak seasons can be very hectic

8. 5.0

Love Working for Vans!

Apr 12, 2021 - Floor Supervisor in Whittier, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a part-time Floor Supervisor you get what I believe is the base layer experience for a management role in most other jobs. Being part-time also really helps when you're going to school. So the hours are flexible, all while getting some experience leading a team. Also a lot of opportunity to move up within the company.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Reliable Worker

Feb 24, 2021 - Sales Associate in City of Industry, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like working for Vans because I love the atmosphere of the company. There’s a feeling of community that I feel at work with my customers and coworkers that I have never felt at any other job. There’s also so much room for diversity in the company. I feel like Vans let’s their employees be themselves and I can’t say I have had any bad experiences from the company in my time working here. Finally, I feel like the managers at my store have set myself and my fellow associates up for higher positions. They’re continually challenging us to be better and show us how to do things the right way. I’m always well prepared and well informed because of my managers.

Cons

I don’t really have any complaints other than the new shoe boxes because they give me a lot more paper cuts than the last ones.

10. 5.0

I love it here

Mar 22, 2021 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Besides the fact that you get a free pair of vans when you first start out AND you get 50% off on everything (30% on sale items), you have the opportunity to reach 70% off everything if you are employee of the month. It's also just a great retail store to work for. I love my coworkers & I love showing up to my shifts. I also love how we can wear pretty much whatever we want as long as it's family friendly.

Cons

There's really not any cons for me yet (I haven't even been here 6 months yet) but I wish I had more hours. Not really a con considering I *want to go to work more*

1 person found this review helpful