VariQ Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Ben Edson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Up-and-Coming Organization to Work For"

Current Employee - Database Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Database Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at VariQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing family-run, IT organization that focuses heavily on employee satisfaction. Incredible recruiting practices. It's great to get updates on new contracts that have been accepted, thus giving evidence of the companies expansion and growth efforts.

Cons

There are some issues when attempting to telecommunicate with the organization from a remote location.

Advice to Management

Because so many employees are remote, ensure that your telecommunications infrastructure is adequate (e.g., proper end-user testing before Skype calls, issuance of homogenized technology for off-site users).

2. "A wonderful place to work!"

I have been working at VariQ full-time

Pros

VariQ trusts their employees, and thus is very flexible with regards to schedule and work/life balance.

The people I work with are very nice!

Cons

None at this time.

3. "Learning how to be a big business"

I have been working at VariQ full-time

Pros

Very Nice People and decent benefits

Cons

Disorganized, poor work life balance, no annual review, and no raise without receiving an offer from a competing company.

Advice to Management

If high performing employees have to get an offer from another company in order to receive a raise, you are likely to lose many of your best employees.

4. "Subcontractor position"

I have been working at VariQ full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and ok benefits

Cons

Not a lot of support from program manager in terms of professional development

5. "Clickish and unresponsive to employee needs."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at VariQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Initial impression was leadership was whipping smart and hard working, instituting a well-developed process for Information Assurance assessments.

Cons

It appears you need to fit into their mold and within their inner circle. Little to no patience when you don't instantly understand their very complicated process when you've worked in the information assurance field for many years. Extremely impatient to learn their process, and seem to have no time to work with you.

Advice to Management

Engage in some empathy and open and honest understanding that your process is complicated and it doesn't have to be.

"Systems Administrator"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at VariQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, flexible schedule (based on project/client working hours) that allowed me to mitigate the horrible metro DC traffic, training incentives, excellent benefits, salary was generous and appropriate for the area, the summer and winter events were fully paid by the company (I have seen otherwise in other companies), level of corporate communications to employees was excellent as it is easy for employees on projects to feel disassociated with their company, and of course people the are wonderful!!

Cons

VariQ has grown substantially in the last 2 years and has experienced some growing pains as a result however these pains have been mitigated by adding new personnel and services that smaller companies may not need, however larger ones do (increased BD and staffing personnel, communications personnel, etc). The steps that VariQ management has put in place has turned these cons into pros.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the personnel in the field as you did with me and VariQ, especially when they roll off of projects, as this is a differentiator between a company that sees people as people and not people as dollar signs. Because I had time after my project ended I was able to add new skills, help with corporate projects and try and find a new position internally first and then externally. Due to all of this I am able to move into a new position without an interruption in employment.

"The Road to Success is Always Under Construction"

Pros

Wonderful job opportunity; greatly enjoy my colleagues and overall my encounters with all personnel.

VariQ is a company that is fast growing with opportunities for individual growth due to the various contracts they hold/manage.

VariQ seems to work hard to show they value employee moral, and host many gathering and events to encourage engagement opportunities outside/ to distract from work. Unfortunately working remote does not allow for myself and others of similar circumstance to participate in most of these events.

Cons

Just growing pains. VariQ is a rapidly growing company and if you chose to be part of the company, you should expect to work through the opportunities and hurdles with everyone else.

VariQ is working through the growing pains of managing remote operations/workers, and as they mature I hope that engagement, connection, and recognition of remote personnel will improve and increase. Again, this is something that even mature companies have to continuously work on to ensure remote work personnel feel a part of the whole and that the incentives and events that occur at corporate are in some way offered to remote facilities and personnel.

Advice to Management

Value the talent you have acquired and improve attention and solutions to recognized those who positively support and demonstrate desire and effort to make VariQ successful. Continue to work to acquire tools and resources to better support the needs of management and leadership and encourage development of eager talent.

8. "My Team does not have an "I" in it!"

Current Employee - Contracts/Subcontracts Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Contracts/Subcontracts Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at VariQ part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company yet CEO, CFO, PMs and staff are approachable and supportive.

Cons

Roll with the punches, be patient, it is a growing company--it is learning along the way with you.

Advice to Management

Do not forget staff are people--a personal "Good job!" goes a long way into boosting their morale and strengthening their loyalty.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Web Designer/Service Desk in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Web Designer/Service Desk in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at VariQ (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company with excellent personel

Cons

Long commute and have to pay for parking

Advice to Management

More teleworking capabilites

10. "VariQ: Friendly, Fun and Rewarding"

I have been working at VariQ full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

VariQ is a medium size, but fast growing company and as such I am able to interact with a wide range of positions. From App Developers, to Tech Support, to our CEO everyone has been nothing but friendly and welcoming. We even have a VariQ soccer team that anyone is welcome to join. Our facilities coordinator and director of communications (and others) organize several events a year for VariQ employees to attend. Recently employees we able to attend a BBQ which included everything from food to drinks to sports, arts and crafts for kids, more food, a raffle, and even a mountain of a slip and slide! Besides that we have also held a baby show, a "congrats on your wedding" ice-cream party, several birthday parties, and even celebrated Donut Day.
    Besides all the fun events I've been able to be a part of as an employee of VariQ, the work side is also fantastic. I started working here a few months ago and it was my first full time position in over a year, but everyone I work with has been patient and very willing to answer any questions I had during my move into the IT world. (I came from a health and wellness company.) My managers are knowledgeable, capable, and understanding.

Cons

My commute is terrible, but for now it is definitely worth it.
    Sometimes I feel as though I'm the only one in my program that is not very busy all of the time (because everyone else is very busy!), and it's been hard to try to get trusted with more tasks because I am new and have not been in office/IT work for very long (<2years)