Vectorform Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Place to Thrive"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience/UI Designer in Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience/UI Designer in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Vectorform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit at Vectorform. They encourage their employees to grow their skills in just about any digital medium.

Cons

Young company, best suited for the "Under 30" crowd. Be prepared to work late and participate outside of 9-5.

Advice to Management

Annual reviews lead employees to think they're on a management track, but it never happens. Not enough opportunity to move up. Encourage more mentorship among senior management.

"Incredible company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, awesome coworkers, passionate upper management, little office politics. Overall such a great place to work, feels like home.

Cons

This small company is growing quickly, so it (sometimes) lacks established workflows and processes, but we're getting there!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I feel appreciated and the office environment is super positive!

"Great Environment and Diverse Projects"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Royal Oak, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talent - Vectorform has some of the most fun, intelligent, and talented coworkers of anywhere that I've worked.

Culture - From management down to interns, everyone enjoys having fun while still getting work done. There are many social events, both company sponsored and impromptu after work hangouts.

Work Experience - The diversity of the projects at Vectorform as well as the resources available (knowledgeable coworkers) has greatly improved my experience and technical knowledge.

Cons

Unclear direction from upper management - Understandably, the nature of the business requires changes in direction and focus. However, management doesn't always seem to have a consensus on direction, or are just not great at communicating it.

No direct deposit - Despite being told it was something that was coming soon, here we are, still having to deposit checks. Mostly just an annoyance.

Employee turnover - This isn't necessarily a "con", but something to be aware of: employees are let go if they do not do their job or if they result in a lot of conflict within the company. This has actually been refreshing, as it results in coworkers that are not only good at their job but also fun to be around. Other companies I've worked for seem to shy away from making tough decisions, which resulted in work environments with a lot of conflict or terrible coworkers. Couple that with the competitive job market and there is more turnover than I have been used to at other companies.

"Great company to pad your resume"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Vectorform full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to some pretty cutting edge clients and technologies, Vectorform is fantastic at padding your resume. The extremely fast paced environment forces you to learn as you go and exposes you to constantly changing tech and industry trends.

Cons

Crazy hours (for me, 70-100+ hours a week). Very poorly directed and led projects by managers who were WAY to saturated with managing too many project. Completely unrealistic deadlines and horribly estimated SOWs. At the time, there were some scum bag PMs with no concern or regard for others. Although, there were other PMs I really liked (and who had families themselves) who understood where priorities should be in life.
    I had two paychecks that bounced and no direct deposit (probably because they can't guarantee the money in present in their account).

Kids culture... that is all I can say. They offer a drive home service if you get drunk and need a ride as a job perk... seriously.

Advice to Management

Look at how other businesses are run. Seriously.

Dec 2, 2016 – HR Director

Dear Anonymous Reviewer –

We care greatly about building a positive, inclusive and fun culture. In that spirit, we always appreciate constructive feedback. Before we respond directly to your... More

5. "Senior Interactive Designer"

I have been working at Vectorform full-time

Pros

Working with emerging technologies for a wide range of clients. Working in an awesome culture full of tech, gamers, geeks, artists, and entrepreneurs. Being able to work from home every now and then provides flexibility for personal schedules.

Cons

Sadly the company still doesn't offer direct deposit for payroll. When it comes to requesting new hardware or software the process can be a bit daunting and even baffling in some cases.

"Seattle office is awesome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vectorform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Vectorform for over 5 years in their Seattle office. The people who work in this office are truly some of the smartest, most professional and balanced individuals I have ever met, let alone worked beside. From designing the latest AR/VR experiences to creating insane Arduino based controllers for retail environments there's truly nothing that this team can't do. This is a full service team that invents new experiences from the ground up and can create new business models through their exceptional talents with strategic research, workshops, quick POC iteration, and enterprise level development and design. Truly the "best of the best" talent in town.

The Seattle office is a smaller digital agency than most in Seattle (15 people when I left) but every team member matters and their opinions are valued. Whether you're a junior designer or senior architect, you will have the ability to create and direct projects in a way that influences the end deliverable and creates business value for the client. There aren't any cliques or egos and many of the team members are close friends outside of the office. The work life balance is also incredible. When it's busy we work exceptionally hard to get things done, when you need time for your family, self or even just need to work from home for convenience and avoid traffic - no questions asked.

I was never full time in the Detroit office but would travel there a few times a year for meetings and training. The team in Detroit is also great and is committed to growth in the Seattle market. As team members and resources are shared across offices depending on the project, you are really able to gel with individuals across the company and make friends in new cities. Team members (as well as the CEO/President) would visit Seattle frequently for meetings and general improvement sessions in order to refine communication processes, management structure. etc.

In summary - Vectorform is a place where you can come in at a junior level (or any level, really), plan, and execute your desired career. I joined as a project manager and was able to do something completely new and different almost every year I was at the company. I learned more than I could've imagined and have worked with the most cutting edge brands in the Fortune 500. You need to treat your job like an entrepreneur and continually bring value to the company but if you can succeed at that, you will love this place.

Cons

I have 3:

- While it's incredible to work across offices with other folks in Detroit and New York, it can sometimes be frustrating as time zones, resourcing and communication can be difficult during tight timelines and highly technical projects. This is likely to occur at any tech company and/or agency but it was still one of the bigger frustrations we experienced most often at Vectorform.

- A changing landscape/branding - The tech landscape is changing every day and that's a difficult thing to stay on top of for any agency. Vectorform has done a good job of staying on the bleeding edge for 15 years but sometimes our messaging and or vision seemed muddied as to what we as a company were doing next. Exec leadership continues to improve on this messaging and branding of "Who VF is and what they do" but it also continues to change as the market demands and the landscape changes.

- Hiring - it took a long time to get hired at Vectorform (At least in Seattle) and it was always a lot of back and forth to get a new hire budgeted/approved/on-boarded. I have heard that they recently hired an HR lead in Seattle so hopefully this is getting better but it was difficult to try and grow the team in a viciously competitive Seattle market.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to hire and retain amazing talent. You've done well addressing many of the growing pains experienced in the last 2 years and now is time to ensure VF is situated at the crux of AR/VR, IoT and other emerging tech. Keep investing in the Seattle market and increase your visits to Seattle to once a month if possible in order to continue to gel the overall vision and culture of the company across offices.

"Buyer beware"

I worked at Vectorform full-time

Pros

This is a place where someone with the motivation can try on many hats and take on diverse roles. The small size of the company means self-starting individuals will thrive, while specialists and those wishing to just collect a paycheck without a lot of team engagement and accountability won't fit in. Every so often there is unique, challenging, and interesting work to be done. There are many team members who are brilliant, passionate, and energized. It will be a very personal decision whether working here will be a prudent career move because …

Cons

… the rest of the time you'll be frustrated by poor business management, poor project planning, poor definition of roles and responsibilities, poor client management, and having to carry the load for improperly scoped work and cross-country teams that often don't communicate well. On more than one occasion I was asked to lie to a client regarding budgets and work. Some employees are obviously burnt out, and pay is usually well below Seattle median, not to mention industry standards. Management is not respectful to its employees: Owners and upper management have made personal and professional threats for honest mistakes and conditions out of their control. You'll be told you won't get a paycheck if you don't record your hours properly, but enforcing such a threat is not legally allowed (nobody's tried to my knowledge). We were given vague and somewhat worrisome reasoning behind the lack of direct deposit. Change management is poor or nonexistent: Staffing and other business decisions may happen suddenly and without any (or very little) discussion. Promises on bonuses (or eligibility for said bonuses) are often broken. As at most creative agencies, you'll run into some people with egos, but at Vectorform there is nobody there keeping these egos in check. Gas lighting employees into thinking their concerns are not reasonable (or worse, that their concern doesn't exist) is standard operating procedure for management. Women, no matter their position or stature, will be asked to make coffee or wash dishes.

Advice to Management

Check your egos, implement direct deposit, listen to your advisers

Oct 18, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your candid response. Please provide your personal contact information to socmedia@vectorform.com and we will be more than happy to follow-up with you regarding your concerns. Thank you!

"Growing company with great people to work with"

I have been working at Vectorform full-time (More than a year)

Pros

> An great group of people to spend every day with, smart, energetic, and fun
    > Surrounded by a lot of talent and experience in a broad range of platforms and backgrounds, all happy to share their knowledge with you
    > Company has both solid ongoing projects and an increasing flow of new business, especially leveraging some of the latest technologies
    > A culture that encourages growing your skillset, expanding your knowledge base, and actually utilizing your growing capabilities in new business.

Cons

> Company is going through some growing pains, settling into the use of new tools and processes to deal with the increasing scope of our work. But everyone is open and aware of this and always working to continually improve.
    > Lots of people mention the lack of direct deposit - they still don't have it, but using check deposit with a mobile app makes it easy to deal with.

Advice to Management

The culture at Vectorform is one of its greatest benefits, keep doing what you do to maintain it, and keep working at those process improvements.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture can't be beat. Friendly people. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

No direct deposit, you have to wait a few days to get your check.

Jan 14, 2016 – HR Director

Hi There! Thank you for your review! While it is true we don't have direct deposit, we distribute checks on time, according to our payroll schedule, which is distributed to all employees. There is... More

"Great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Oak, MI

I have been working at Vectorform (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are smart, passionate and knowledgable. Flexible schedule and hours. Great benefits, you don't get docked for being sick, can work remotely. Projects are varied and interesting. Great workspace. Friendly office dog.

Cons

No direct deposit. However, with the latest mobile technology, easy to manage.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to attend more conferences or have better opportunities for higher leaning.