Ventyx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Matthias Heilmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Some areas allow work from home" (in 14 reviews)

• "Backed up by strong parent company through ABB" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management has no idea how to deliver said profits other than by cutting number of employees" (in 6 reviews)

• "Ventyx operates globally, but the center of the Ventyx universe is very clearly Atlanta - other locations get forgotten regularly" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Pros

-Has ABB as a parent company

Cons

-Smaller organization within ABB Company

2. "Lost their way"

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can’t really think of any

Cons

ABB killed this company

Advice to Management

Too late

3. "Overall, good company."

Former Employee - R&D Associate Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - R&D Associate Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Most direct managers really care about employees.
    Casual environment.
    Nice, convenient location.
    Good company values and focus.
    GREAT employees.
    Get to work with some innovative groups, on important solutions.
    Yearly opportunity for merit-based salary increases.
    Yearly opportunity for bonus, based on company performance.

Cons

Some teams struggle because they can't get the resources they need, such as upgrades for their outdated laptops, access to virtual machines, etc.
    Disconnect with upper-management, but this has been improving.
    Company performance is up and down quarter to quarter.
    Some teams have HORRIBLE work/life balance. Lots of pressure from management, creating a stressful environment for those employees.
    Outsourcing is becoming more and more of an issue.
    Layoffs EVERY fall, like clockwork.
    Stale office atmosphere, but improving.
    TONS of empty desks because of massive layoffs, in recent years.

Advice to Management

Focus on stability of current products before trying to shift focus to new. Teams that have stable/on-time releases can focus on new, but other teams that struggle to release things late, while sacrificing quality, need more attention/resources. I would also suggest investing in your younger employees more, rather than laying them off because they have the least experience. Also, need to up compensation to, at least, the market rate.

The CEO is listed as Matthias Heilmann. Although he improved the company, on paper, he was just using it as a resume booster. He was with the company for 1 year and cut costs by a lot. He did this by scrutinizing the invoices and finding places where the company wasn't paid (GOOD), HUGE layoffs (BAD), and general things, such as reducing the free Friday breakfasts to monthly breakfast (NEUTRAL), etc. He also tried, and succeeded, to FORCE people to use their PTO, so that it wouldn't show up as negative balance on the companies statements (BAD). He left the company, abruptly, while it was in a good-LOOKING place, so that he could say he turned it around. He didn't make sure that it could be successful in the future. He just did everything he could do to make it look improved, during his time there.

The new CEO is Laurie Tolson, and she has done a great job of improving the relationship with upper-management, as well as improving the office atmosphere. She allowed some employees to organize a group to create a game room for the office. It worked out really well, and morale has been a little better because of it.

"Rudderless Ship"

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consulting Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation, facilities, benefits and great US-based knowledge among employees.

Cons

Negative environment due to layoffs.

Advice to Management

Be bolder, the world is leaving you behind.

5. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Durham, NC

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely deep pool of industry expert resources. Good team of market development personnel. Expansive solution set.

Cons

Integration between applications was underway when I left and company wisely saw need to push this initiative and also hone focus on strategic appliations within the portfolio. But in the meantime, this was somewhat of an issue.

Advice to Management

Focus on the key apps which play closest to the wheelhouse of ABB to take advantage of the huge strengths of the core business. Eg. Asset Health, Asset Management, SCADA, etc.

"Sr. Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Dunwoody, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros to speak of.

Cons

Ventyx is probably the most screwed up company I've ever had the displeasure to work for. I should have seen the writing on the wall when I asked about the DR plan and I was told "We don't need to worry about that because we're just a software dev company". No work/life balance. Cheap VERY cheap company. Do not expert any perks or bonuses, but do expect long hours without any gratitude. Churn and Burn attitude. I was told by the Director, and I quote " We churn and burn these IT guys, we're in Atlanta, we can throw a rock and hit another IT guy...dime a dozen". What an idiot. I started looking for a new job after that because I knew nothing would change.

Advice to Management

Management is clueless and always will be.

7. "Good company"

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with. Some areas allow work from home. Benefits are above average.

Cons

Management changes a lot. A new CEO about every 2 years. Middle management gets changed up quite a bit and so plans are a little chaotic.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan. Don't change towards one direction and then back again a year later. Company needs a more consistent direction.

"Several Years Wasted..."

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits (good but expensive), PTO, opportunity to work from home, AWESOME severance package (quite possibly the best part of working there), some friendly co-workers.

Cons

Everything else. No training, no shadowing, no encouragement whatsoever, I didn't see any possibility for career advancement or even career maintenance. Excessive bench time. Very hard to find someone to answer technical questions when they arise. No job stability - annual waves of layoffs. No one outside of the industry has any idea who Ventyx or ABB are - so it's not going to help you land your next job. Wait for your severance package and move on.

Advice to Management

Fix the "Cons". Invest in your employees. Train and cross train them. If you do that, you won't have to hire, hire, hire, then fire, fire fire.

9. "Now ABB Enterprise Software formerly Ventyx- Tough transitions"

I worked at Ventyx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company going through changes where many employees are collateral damage and end up laid off while the talking heads are promising bright future. I was hoping to end my career with the company. The team I worked with was very collaborative, if you pull your weight you will be supported by team members.

Cons

Don't expect any formal training. Utilization of internal consultants is not well planned out.

Advice to Management

Try to be more transparent with employees about their future prospects.

10. "Good first job but..."

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

-Flexible Work timings
    -Multiple locations and ability to move between offices

Cons

-Limited growth potential & no clear development tracks for employees