Viator Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Viator President, Attractions and Vacation Rentals, TripAdvisor Dermot Halpin
Dermot Halpin

Pros
  • There's a very good work life balance here (in 7 reviews)

• With the investment allowed by our acquisition by TripAdvisor we can now invest heavily in our staff, processes and training (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • First was customer service and almost half the crew in Las Vegas was let go (in 6 reviews)

• It is a small company that is growing fast (in 4 reviews)

1. "Partner Support Coordinator"

Current Employee - Partner Support Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Partner Support Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Incredible amount of freedom to lead my projects, low level of bureaucracy. Great level of support from my manager, VP and colleagues. After working at several leading tech companies, not being micro managed and not having to drink the tech koolaid is incredibly refreshing.

Cons

Sometimes a lack of resources in engineering, stuff can take a bit longer to fix or develop but with Viator and Tripadvisor doing so well, that is only a matter of time before we grow even more.

"New Management and CEO have no time for current employees"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viator full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Viator used to be a great place with a wonderful female CEO and what I thought to be a clear vision. The senior management team was excellent. There were some challenges amongst them but that is to be expected.

Cons

Everything I said above is gone. The new CEO is a horrible communicator and cares little for people. He has replaced many positions with his cronies from Vacation Rentals division and feels he can do no wrong (despite leading a division that is dying a slow death he was put in charge of one of the biggest growth areas) The new team is top down management and very heavy handed with staff. Numerous people have left

Advice to Management

Get rid of the new CEO and find someone who cares about the team

"Started GREAT - changed top management - Now Outsoucing"

Current Employee - Supplier Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Supplier Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Viator full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great people to work with. Easy to hit the sales goals. Snacks are good when supplied. Somewhat easy to move to a new job after a year.

Cons

A few months ago a new CEO came on and started outsourcing. First was customer service and almost half the crew in Las Vegas was let go. The people in Manila weren't trained, their emails are terrible and many customers complain. Now they are starting to outsource other areas of the company. While this is a 'cost saving' measure - at what expense? With the fall-off in international travel to the US, you'd think they'd prefer professionals not just order takers.

Advice to Management

Mentor the staff you have. Let them know what other opportunities. If you want to save $ - looking into telecommuting. 1000's of companies do it. STOP Outsourcing jobs that need someone with a kind demeanor and product knowledge.

"Death by a thousand cuts at a declining company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in travel is cool
    Most employees are friendly to work with

Cons

Regular lay offs meaning poor morale
    No remote working except for Execs who are all remote
    No work life balance
    Dark, depressing office space

Viator Response

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr. Director of Product

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, although this type of feedback is always tough to read. We realize that change can be unsettling. Like any successful consumer internet ... More

"Fun industry but we aren't paid enough and career growth is very slow"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in the travel industry, which is such a fun industry to be in.
    We get an awesome benefits package, which includes paid medical, and cheap dental and vision. We also get a fitness stipend which is super nice. The culture is social (but can be very cliquey with employees that have been around for a while). The office is nice and centrally located close to downtown. The majority of management is very understanding of work/life balance.

Cons

Pay is way too low for the area and industry, particularly in sales. All sales employees are constantly complaining about how little we are paid and how rough it is to survive in SF on such a low salary. Employees aren't given regular raises, so beware if you're actually trying to make money or have a savings account.

They are trying to do more to create more of a fun company culture, but it is a very slow process. The experience here largely depends on your team and who you report to, as managers aren't held to a certain standard across the board. Everyone here tends to pretend like everything is great instead of changing things that aren't working--although that seems to be changing now that we have more resources from TripAdvisor. Communication within the company is very bizarre and there is close to zero communication between teams. Most employees don't feel comfortable walking across the office to speak to a colleague they don't know--it just isn't done unless you have a personal relationship with someone on another team, which is something new employees don't have and fall behind because of it.

Advice to Management

Employees, especially younger people starting out want someone to mentor them and teach them skills they can take with them for the rest of their careers. Be involved in your employees' career development and help them plan for their careers and life--and fight for them to get raises. It's rough out there.

Also, do more to promote teamwork and collaboration within teams and across teams. I hear often that other teams don't know what others teams do.

"So cannot wait to leave"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Viator full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks when they stock, even if it is the same thing over and over. Really good pay. Decent benefits.

Cons

Very clique-y. They pick and choose. Always letting people go and then making the others scramble to make up for it. Change is near daily at this point. Always something different. Very poor training. leads with absolutely no leadership skills.

Advice to Management

Stop getting rid of people and improve on what employees you have. Better training. So many trainers and yet poorly trained staff.

"Dont get too comfortable here...."

Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Viator (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay a living wage, lots of free stuff, its fairly easy to hit goal if you come to work focused, the customers love us and our service.

Cons

They really don't hire many people from the placement agency they use. From the moment you step out of training they look for an excuse to let you go, whether its coming back from break a minute late or missing goal by 2 or 3 percent, or stepping on one of their many, many rules.... I think their goal is to get rid of people in under six months so that they can cover the peak season while avoid paying you Unemployment Insurance. They opened a new call center in the Phillipines, so most likely they'll start outsourcing the peak season jobs there in a year or two.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the new hires... this is a temp gig. That way they can make other plans for their lives after the summer.

"N/a"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Viator full-time

Pros

benefits and comps, nice break room(when stocked)

Cons

They have unrealistic views and a fake sense of growth they constantly promote, if your not a money maker your not qualified to be part of the team. Very stressful environment with their office politics, I enjoyed my job very much when I started but over time I seen things started to change for the worse and felt they didn't care about employees feedback. Very fake place to work, and very cliquey.

Advice to Management

Stop turning the place into a corporate monster and go back to the roots Viator started on.

9. "High energy and a lot of growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viator full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a very good work life balance here. You're given the tools, resources, autonomy and time to do your best work. Co-workers are awesome as well. Everyone looks out for one another and helps with each other's work regardless of whether or not they have any stake in it.

Of course there is the office as well. Very nice, contemporary work place. Snacks and food galore, have the latest tools to complete my work and the office location has easy access to all the cities amenities.

Cons

Having the company split between three different time zones and four different locations can be tough, especially when it comes to making sure everyone is on the same page. We have the tools that make it manageable but it's still challenging.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow finding a way to bridge the gap between time zones is going to be an absolute need. Finding a solution now can help better prepare us.

"Email Support at Viator"

Current Employee - Email Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Email Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Viator full-time

Pros

The Pros about working there are the comped tours you can sign up for, and its a really relaxed position.

Cons

The cons about working there would have to be everyone starts off as temporary and hav to work up to full time..