KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 129 of over 144 reviews

3.4
Virgin Galactic CEO Michael Colglazier
Michael Colglazier
Pros
  • "It's a very collaborative environment with a great work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "9/80 work schedule is great, but we work most off Friday's(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "CEO is consistently absent making VG a rocket club(in 7 reviews)

• "Since when did ANY rocket program have that type of operating margin forecast(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Virgin Galactic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 4.0
      Featured Review

Great Job

Mar 24, 2021 - Flight Test Engineer in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very interesting to work on Space travel and the high dynamic environment of the different phases of flight

Cons

Not really anything comes to mind that would be a con.

Virgin Galactic Response

It's excellent to see that you love working at Virgin Galactic and it's great to have you as part of the team in Mojave. I am confident we will continue to rely on you and your teammates for insights as we lean into our objectives for 2021 together. Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback!

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

May 31, 2021 - Stress Engineer in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, loved the biweekly education seminars, works 9 hour days with every other Friday off. Pretty supportive of career outcomes within the company.

Cons

Location wasn't the greatest but understandably so. Starting to move a little faster than I feel they are ready for.

Virgin Galactic Response

Many thanks for your time and contribution to our success over these last couple of years! As we integrate back to work post the pandemic we look forward to having our full and expanded teams driving our goals. We love to hear that our culture is great and that you leveraged our educational seminars. Development of our people and our efforts to continue to focus on values are at the center of our culture. Best to you in your future career endeavors and thank you for your contributions to Virgin Galactic!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Company!!

Jul 11, 2021 - Senior Systems Engineer in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, benefits, and team mates. We all share a dream at Virgin and work together to make it a reality. In comparison to other company's I have worked with the benefits are the best I've seen in 25 years in Aerospace. The medical benefits show the care the company has for its employees wellbeing and health. These benefits take me back to the mid-1990's with respect to cost and co-pay. Standard 401(k) retirement and match with a bonus company funded deposit to the 401(k) whether you are contributing or not. Flexible work schedule (at least at my location) with a 9/80 schedule for salaried employees (M-Th 9 hour days, On-Fridays 8 hours, Off-Fridays every other week). I cannot say enough about the benefits at working at Virgin Galactic.

Cons

This is not really a Con per se, it just came as a surprise mainly. Some aspects of the hiring are more aligned with a UK mindset rather than US with respect to relocation. Specifically, the company does not cover relocation costs that other US based employers would. That being said, a lot of roles have been approved for remote work so that does mitigate the need to relocate and thus the cost of doing so. Also, at least in my case, my role included a signing bonus which did cover a majority of the costs in end.

Virgin Galactic Response

Welcome to our team! What an exciting year-one with us you have had. We appreciate the candid feedback on our relocation support and recommends of different models to consider. We would value additional thoughts you may have on our recruiting processes align more closely to the UK model. We love that you love our total reward offerings! We are purposeful to invest in our people and in various aspects of well-being from financial, healthcare, and mental wellbeing. Once again ... welcome to the team!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A fun and immersive job out of college

Jul 7, 2021 - Avionics Integration Engineer in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Significant responsibility as an entry-level employee - Excellent middle management within engineering - Had a wide variety of tasks within software and electronics design

Cons

- The work can be stressful given the small team size - I experienced some friction in working with teams outside of engineering. The quality of work done by other groups and the pace at which it was completed made my job more difficult.

Virgin Galactic Response

Our purpose at Virgin Galactic is to create opportunities for our teammates in each role to have an immediate and sustained impact within the Company no matter if the role is a spacewrench lead, technician, group lead or an avionics leader. It’s great to learn that you stepped in and made a difference immediately and were supported by your leadership. As we continue to scale and build the collaboration and refinement within our functional areas. Continue to provide us feedback on areas to evolve and improve

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, poor tech, poor leadership

Jun 5, 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company was staffed by talented and passionate professionals. The culture was inclusive and welcoming. 9/80 schedule.

Cons

The vehicles are old and poorly designed in almost every aspect from Structures to Avionics. Management is always on the look out to solve today's crisis and has no time for fixes that will resolve the root cause. The same mistakes were copied and pasted into the more recent designs and just serve to continue kicking the can down the road. At the same time of providing massive schedule pressure, the company engineering support groups from IT to procurement to production control are have ineffective processes that serve to slow everything to a crawl. The engineers are expected to design around these limitations resulting in a subpar technical product.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

We love to read feedback that our Virgin Galactic culture continues to be inclusive and welcoming for all based on our experience over the last 3-4 years. We strive each day to ensure we sustain such a culture! Our people … our talent is the key to great success. Passion about our mission and our purpose is core. As our new President of Aerospace Systems works across the entire organization and Company, it is evident that our technology leaders will continue strive toward world-class in designing and building safe, security and reliable spaceships, rocket motors and motherships along with Six-Sigma process improvement as we execute and deliver. Thanks for your constructive feedback. We value all.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

All the growing pains

Apr 4, 2021 - Production in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wide breath of personal roles and responsibilities to those that want them. Some interesting and challenging engineering and manufacturing work. New executive leadership as of 2021 appears to be making changes for the better and appointing mostly more competent VPs and directors.

Cons

Poor people management and leadership. Abysmal HR and recruiting departments. Historically extremely little accountability for poor performance or downright incompetence of employees and managers alike.

5 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

It is important to receive input on the wide breadth of experiences that Virgin Galactic offers its teammates - thank you for sharing. In addition, we value your constructive feedback on our management, leadership and recruitment. Together we are confident we will drive a high-performance together as a team with our current and future talent. Please reach out to your People Team Leader with your feedback on Mojave and specifics on location. I appreciate the time taken to provide your feedback and perspective.

7. 4.0

N/A

Jun 6, 2021 - M&P Engineer in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are able to work with a bunch of areas.

Cons

The location is in the desert which makes it a not as desirable destination

Be the first to find this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

Development of skills and our teammates’ overall experiences are critical as we continue to build and scale Virgin Galactic. We value your feedback that an employee within Virgin Galactic is able to work in various areas. That is what we strive for if such aligns with a teammate’s career development. Spaceport America and Mojave continue to expand and are making great strides in our new and current work locations to build out our people’s experience while on site. Keep up your great work and thank you for your feedback!

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good People Terrible Management

Jan 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The workers are great. Generally willing to go out on a limb to help you and get work done. Lots of talent in the company at lower levels. The new CEO seems to know what needs to be done to be successful. Good Diversity, good benefits.

Cons

Upper management (below the CEO) is extremely inexperienced with how to run a business and care for people it seems to be a good old boys club. When there is a management shakeup it seems like its all the same people but with different titles so the same problems keep occurring. VG is incredibly micromanaged, and the bureaucracy rivals some government organizations. The employees were sold a spacex culture, but were actually given a bureaucratic disaster which rivals "Office Space" or the California DMV customer service. Nonpaid overtime for engineers (and quite a bit of OT is expected).

7 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

We love to hear you feel our work environment is collaborative and that the team is working together on objectives and goals! Also, Michael Colglazier, as our CEO, continues to lead us and keep us focused on our strategic priorities and ensures we build diversity into all aspects of our workforce. We want to learn more on ways certain teams may feel micromanaged and the impact of our teammates' workloads. It's great to know the Virgin Group DNA is a part of who we are and is felt within Virgin Galactic. Please keep the feedback coming. I would love to hear from you directly on other thoughts/ideas you have may have. Best, Diane

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Decent place to work

May 7, 2021 - Technician in Mojave, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

4-10 schedule, free snacks / drinks. It's hard to get any real work done, so the days are pretty relaxed / easy going.

Cons

Poor processes, lack of QA, engineering, and leadership support.

3 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

We greatly appreciate your feedback and input on the work days you experienced during your tenure in Mojave. As we continue to elevate the high bar on quality and safety, we know that such work is never ending, and it is a constant cycle of process assessments and improvement. Best to you in your new career endeavors!

10. 1.0
      Current Employee

This company is extremely toxic! Don’t make the mistake of joining!

Mar 22, 2021 - None of Your Business in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company does a great job of posing as an up and coming company... (it’s not).

Cons

This was a company that came to the public markets through a SPAC being led by Chamath. Fast forward to now and this guy has sold off all of his personal stake (any red flags yet?) Beyond that this place is very toxic. Management is very insecure and as such this affects everyone. Ask how often you work weekends or hours a day because they are understaff? (They will lie) If you enjoy being on a constant lookout of when the next round of layoffs is coming, avoid this place at all cost! I’m not disgruntled just disillusion that I join this joke of a company.

4 people found this review helpful

Virgin Galactic Response

First off, thank you for being transparent with your personal thoughts and feedback on our Company. The pandemic and all in 2020 did make the year challenging in various aspects. We are sorry to hear that your first year with us was a challenge, as well. We have an open-door policy and want to hear about your concerns and any ideas for improvement in our workplace. Your leader or I look forward to hearing from you directly.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 129 Reviews