WP Engine Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2020

4.6
WP Engine CEO Heather Brunner
Heather Brunner
Pros
  • "Great benefits, great people, stable market(in 13 reviews)

• "Free lunch/snacks (tastes great and good variety)(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of a scaling company(in 16 reviews)

• "My colleagues in Support have been forced to relocate to work out of North Austin(in 10 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"A company that has your back"

Current Employee - Events Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Culture is welcoming, friendly, and supportive 2. Work/life balance deserves an A+ 3. There's always room for growth and managers don't want you to ever feel stagnant 4. Company is doing everything they can to make sure employees are comfortable during times of COVID-19 like sending home desks from the office and a stipend for WFH supplies

Cons

Takes a while for certain contractors and interns to move up to a full-time position, but the fact that they hired some on full-time during COVID speaks VOLUMES.

2. "Great company to work for but unclear direction"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people. Very approachable CEO and CTO. Extremely welcoming. Focus on helping others. Warm and fuzzy. At the same time solving problems at scale where typical solutions don't usually work.

Cons

The company is growing but is not the "moonshot" type. Little risk taking, decisions are slow, who does what is unclear. Many people are new due to rapid growth. Major technical debt collected over the years.

August 3, 2020Director, Internal Comms

Thank you for the feedback. You're right that our rapid growth has caused some pain, particularly for some teams. We are focused on creating more clarity and simplicity and would appreciate your input to support that. Please reach out to your leader or your EE Business Partner if you haven't already to pass along your concerns and suggestions for your team so that we can take those into consideration as we're working on this.

3. "One of the best places to work"

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. The team 2. Everyone in the company 3. Definitely lots of learning

Cons

1. Too soon to discover them. Though I highly doubt apart from the regular/normal toil there will be no other surprises. I do not see any negative points here.

Continue reading

"Great place to be an information sponge, but too much oversight nowadays."

2.0
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at WP Engine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, brilliant minds, and the CEO is a star of a human being. A wonderful place to absorb a ton of information about current day corporate practices and learn from real savants of their field.

Cons

Employees in sales and finance are worked to the bone; Sales Managers are expected to work 60-80+ hours a week to maintain their competitive position and meet their quotas. Outdated workforce expectations like very limited WFH policy. Salaries are often 15-25% less than other players in town. Benefits like, flexible PTO policy, and lunch every day was taken away while I was there to pad bottom line. Private equity offerings for new hires was also significantly reduced. Groupthink highly present; expected to conform to a limited identity and not a lot of room to "think outside the box" for solutions. It seemed like it was a much better place before Silver Lake arrived on scene and imposed overambitious quarterly milestones.

June 10, 2020Director, Internal Comms

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate your thoughts on work/life balance and are actively encouraging our colleagues to use their PTO. We routinely review our compensation and perks against the market and adjust as appropriate to ensure market competitiveness. We are all currently in the biggest work from home experiment which means a lot about our practices have changed in order to support a new way of working. We wish you had continued the journey to see what has changed.

"Best job of my career"

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Heather is the best CEO that I’ve ever worked with. Our business success is because she empowers all employees to do the best work of their careers. WordPress hosting may not be the sexiest business, but as an engineer, there are tons of opportunities to innovate and have a significant impact. We operate at a scale that is far beyond most tech companies, but we’re still small enough that you can make a difference. We’re just getting started, and are expanding into a lot of areas beyond our core business of Managed WordPress Hosting.

Cons

In the past few years, there was a lot of turnover in Product and Engineering leadership. I think we’re finally past that and are in the strongest position that we’ve ever been in.

May 27, 2020Director, Internal Comms

Thank you for the shout out!

"Great company. Great culture. Great people."

4.0
    Current Employee - Marketer in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company continues to grow at a rapid pace. Never any shortage of amazing people to work with or projects to work on. Company culture is definitely a priority as well as our core values.

Cons

With so much growth and new people being added regularly, it's hard to keep track of all the new teams and sometimes shifting structure across the organization. Open office environment is great but can sometimes be a good thing but usually is a challenge when trying to focus.

May 27, 2020Director, Internal Comms

Thank you so much for your feedback and we're happy to hear your experience with us is going well!

"My favorite company I've worked for!"

Current Employee - Confidential in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Working with awesome people throughout the whole company 2. Clean and safe environment 3. Transparency 4. Catered lunch Tuesday - Thursday 5. Paid parking 6. 4% - 401k matching 7. Great medical, dental, and vision insurance plans/companies

Cons

1. Salaries aren't market competitive to whats in town. We are smaller than the major tech companies in ATX. 2. Hard to get promoted or get raises 3. Growing business pains but ever company has this 4. Micromanaging 5. Same snacks for the last 2 years. Would like more of a variety and healthier choices 6. La Croix

8. COVID-19

"Believe the hype! This really is a Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Working with an AMAZING team of highly competent and dedicated people who truly embody the WPE core value “where the best get better” 2) Having a leadership team who practices what they preach with transparency on all aspects of the business, including weekly company-wide Town Hall meetings and quarterly all-hands meetings 3) Advocacy for and facilitation of work/life balance with generous paid leave (including 16 weeks fully paid maternity/paternity leave for primary caregivers!) and flexible WFH policies (which hopefully will be extended post-Coronavirus!) 4) Other awesome little perks like catered lunches 3x per week and a wide assortment of snacks! 5) The opportunity to work for a game-changing company who truly values its employees and provides ample opportunities and resources for career advancement

Cons

1) If you don’t function well in fast-paced, high-growth companies, you’re going to have a bad time 2) If you’re not an adept self-starter who’s resourceful and inwardly motivated (vs waiting to be dictated your role), you’re going to have a bad time 3) If you’re not a team player who values collaboration and “winning together”, you’re going to have a bad time 4) The daily commute (fingers crossed for even more WFH flexibility post-Covid!)

"Could see myself here for a while"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great people, stable market. Everyone here is a high-performer, there's no sharks out to get you, and there's great opportunity to grow. It's a growth company with smart, talented, and empathetic people. Great place to grow your career and make a difference.

Cons

Sometimes a little *too* nice. It can take a while to manage out folks who just aren't a fit.

10. "Great culture, great leadership, great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent leadership, downtown office, free hot lunches with plenty of healthy options, lots of collaboration internally and never worked at a place where people are so willing to help others with projects.

Cons

Growing pains around available resources internally and organization of information. Not unique to WPE of course but it’s a reflection of a company that’s “growing up”.

Found 157 reviews