Wellmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
John D. Forsyth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company looks out for its employees and values the work/life balance philosophy (in 9 reviews)

• Not only do they provide a great environment, but they have great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a strict "no-work-from-home" policy (in 4 reviews)

• No work from home policy because the CEO believes all employees should be treated equally (customer service can't work from home so no one can) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

I worked at Wellmark full-time

Pros

Great people and benefits at Wellmark

Cons

Can be too political

2. "Trainer"

I worked at Wellmark full-time

Pros

Great work environment, flexibility, work life balance

Cons

None at all. Great workplace.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. "Tech Lead"

I have been working at Wellmark full-time

Pros

Fundamentally stable business model and in the middle of technology upgrades

Cons

Frequent changes in middle management , lack of telecommuting.

4. "Recommend!"

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Wellmark for almost 6 months. It has been a great experience!

I like that they encourage wellness in the workplace. It isn't just a wellness program for the sake of having a wellness program, but it is integrated into our every day life. Every employee has a desk that can move into a standing or sitting position at their convenience. Many water stations set up to encourage drinking more water. Music in the stairwells to encourage taking the stairs. Free on-site health facility for employee and +1.

I feel like I can grow here. I am currently working with my leader to identify a mentor that I can talk with, that is outside of my current field. I want to learn more about the business as a whole and better understand how I fit into the bigger picture.

Cons

I wasn't very excited about the downtown location, however that is offset a bit as I feel safe in the attached parking garage.

5. "Wonderful culture and professional treatment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company looks out for its employees and values the work/life balance philosophy. The benefits are very good, and the working conditions could not be nicer. The company has a Well for Life Center (gym) that is one of the best gyms in Des Moines, and there are programs for everyone there. The CEO of the company is very much in tune with what's going on within the company, and he often addresses employee concerns in newsletters and email message.

Cons

In all my years in the workforce, I can say I've never worked for a company where there were fewer cons. The company values their talent.

6. "Best Company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Process Excellece in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Process Excellece in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    The CEO truly cares about his employees
    Amazing benefits
    Focus on health and wellness
    Great culture of inclusiveness and diversity
    Takes great care of their employees overall
    Senior leadership is amazing to work with

Cons

Smaller company challenges with red tape

Advice to Management

Continue to offer amazing benefits and inclusiveness

7. "Wellmark is an Employer of Choice!"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been gainfully employed in corporate America for almost 40 years. Almost half of those years have been spent at Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield. When doing a comparative analysis of my work experiences between different companies, I can say, without hesitation, Wellmark is the best company I’ve ever worked for! Wellmark has a very inclusive, diverse, and supportive workplace culture. In essence, Wellmark is committed to being the type of company where each employee is important, respected, and feels a sense of belonging. Furthermore, with its liberal tuition reimbursement program and an employee initiative to be the “CEO of your own career”, Wellmark demonstrates its longstanding commitment to be invested in employee development both inside and outside of Wellmark. Wellmark also has outstanding benefits in terms of career development and advancement opportunities, free parking in a covered parking garage, fitness facility, great healthcare coverage, competitive pension plan, paid time off, and a 401K program with matching employee contributions. Wellmark has managers and leaders who are transparent and who genuinely care about the employees they lead! Wellmark also deeply values the customer and their experience and has developed strategic objectives specifically geared toward enhancing and improving the experience of the customers that they serve! In sum, Wellmark offers a great product because it is a great company supported by great employees! Wellmark is truly an employer of choice! If you’re looking for a great company to be a part of, you need look no further than Wellmark!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

8. "Wellmark"

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great overall benefits including a performance incentive plan for all employees at all levels (at my former employer only exempt/salaried employees participated in the bonus plan), tuition assistance, free membership for employees and their plus one to Well for Life Center, free annual health screenings plus $ incentives to get or stay healthy, free parking, onsite café and store.

Cons

Sometimes just saying I work for an insurance company (not Wellmark specifically) due to the negative spotlight the industry has currently. Everything we do at Wellmark is for our members so at the end of the day I am very proud to work for such a great company.

Advice to Management

Keep being as transparent as possible with employees. Helps us do our jobs better and takes the worry out of thinking we don't know what's going on, etc.

"Do yourself a favor....look someplace else!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nice building. On paper this place looks great. Once you get in here you'll quickly learn it is a disaster.

Cons

This place is getting worse year after year. Terrible "leadership" and pretty bad morale through out the place. I have been here more than 20 years and it breaks my heart to see what it has become. The best people leave or are terminated. If you want to make a difference, you should go work someplace else.

Advice to Management

The management needs to go and they need to start over. Too many underqualified, undereducated, insecure people are managing this place and they're killing it.

10. "Good Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

There are a lot of good people there.

Cons

The days can be long.