Wellmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Wellmark Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2019

Found 109 reviews

3.9
Wellmark CEO John D. Forsyth (no image)
John D. Forsyth
Pros
  • "Great employees, Great benefits, Good mission and goals(in 18 reviews)

• "The company looks out for its employees and values the work/life balance philosophy(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work from home" is not an option(in 6 reviews)

• "There were no cons during my internship experience(in 3 reviews)

"Wish I had joined earlier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wellmark's culture and inclusive initiatives are impressive. Between the benefits offered to employees and the engagement at all levels it's no surprise Wellmark has received the honors it has. Glad to see our organization care for members in Iowa as well as South Dakota

Cons

It's hard to remember all the services available to employees between benefits, Starbucks on sight, dry cleaning, a great gym and great food.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting this great organization through outside entities. More people need to know all the opportunities inside these four walls.

Wellmark2019-01-02
  2. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and PTO. Good bonus.

Cons

More advancement opportunities. Needs to boost morale.

Wellmark2019-09-05

"Great Benefits, Work Life Struggle"

Current Employee - Technology in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for training and development. The benefits are really great and the projects are continuously challenging. The company spends a lot on support and morale parties. There are some truly amazing people in the organization that I've had the opportunity to work with. The facility and the gym are wonderful benefits to have and employee appreciation week is always rewarding.

Cons

The organization has a history of loyally promoting current employees to jobs they could not do because they didn't have the experience. This organization lacks strategy in every sense of the word and has a serious issue breaking down the silos within their organization to collaborate on tech projects. They do not understand the software development triangle, you can have it done well, done fast, or done cheap. They... fall into the common pit of thinking they can have it all. There's definitely a crab effect on some of the projects, if you try to improve or do something better, there's a culture of 'just get it done and keep quiet' rather than a continuous improvement mentality.

Advice to Management

Your platforms will continue to be mediocre unless you prioritize quality over fast features and invest in your platforms. I've seen a lot of great talent leave the organization because they got tired of trying to make the best of their marching orders. Your top down management approach drives the talented class out and puts your projects in in the hands of your less motivated employees who are riding out their... career until retirement.

Wellmark2019-08-06
  4. "Unstable company at the moment, but overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wellmark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great employees, Great benefits, Good mission and goals

Cons

Outsourcing, downsizing, management issues, overtime

Advice to Management

More communication when job duties shift

Wellmark2019-06-13
  5. "Good place under the right management"

I worked at Wellmark full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of good people and a great facility.

Cons

Old-school management style in some ways

Wellmark2019-01-21
  6. "A company to grow with"

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love Wellmark because they believed in me. They provided me an opportunity to grow and learn different skills throughout the company. I have been employed with Wellmark almost 14 years. Through my journey, I have been able to get my BA and Master’s Degree with the help of their tuition reimbursement program. Wellmark is a company of inclusiveness and is one of the reasons I am still here. I highly recommend this... company.

Cons

Wellmark faces challenges like other companies I’ve worked for with different leadership styles and consistencies but overall, I've been able to work through the barriers and notice this different opportunities provided for leadership to help develop and improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen with the intent to understand and let your colleagues help in your change to greatness

Wellmark2019-01-02
  7. "Great Company"

I have been working at Wellmark full-time

Pros

Wellmark strives to ensure employment is a positive experience. Some of the ways they achieve that is to ensure an inclusive environment, opportunity to be CEO of your own career, mentoring and wonderful benefits.

Cons

As with all companies, they have their internal issues with all levels of leadership.

Wellmark2018-12-22
  8. "Great company to work for"

in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Wellmark for almost two years, and haven't looked back since making the decision to come here. It's a great company that I've found to be well organized and well led and has a mission that I feel aligned with. Positivity and inclusion are things that aren't just talked about - both are felt all throughout the company, which I continue to be impressed by. Hard work pays off--it has been encouraging... seeing deserving co-workers receive promotions or the opportunity to take on new roles within the team to continue growing their skillsets and advance in their careers. The new emphasis on matching your role to your strengths I think has helped start more conversations about where each employee wants to go to take full advantage of their natural strengths. With such a big company comes the stereotype of lots of layers of leadership (which there are), but I've found that higher up leaders are totally accessible if you show interest and make an effort.

Cons

If I had to be critical - I do wish there was more flexibility of working remote when needed.

Wellmark2018-12-18
  9. "A place you can be the CEO of your career!"

I have been working at Wellmark full-time

Pros

The minute you walk in the doors you will be greeted by friendly faces and people willing to help you out. Wellmark has a strong inclusive culture that goes from the top down. Not only do you get to work with some amazing individuals, you have a company that cares about you as an employee and your voice counts! Wellmark also offers great benefits like tuition/loan reimbursement, Pathways to Wellness Incentives... program, a fantastic onsite gym with personal trainers and classes, and much more.

Cons

It would be hard to imagine myself working anywhere else.

Wellmark2018-12-12
  10. "The Most Supportive, Inclusive Company I've Worked For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am so thankful to work for such a progressive, inclusive and supportive company! I truly feel that they care about taking good care of their employees! I happen to work in an area with a wonderful team environment and I appreciate that. I have never worked for an employer that made me feel like my work and my opinions matter. I really do matter here!

Cons

I honestly can't think of any down sides - the people are great, benefits are wonderful, pay is awesome - really nothing to complain about!

Wellmark2018-12-12