Welocalize Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Welocalize CEO and Founder Smith Yewell
Smith Yewell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Friendly work environment and good pay" (in 13 reviews)

• "I enjoy the work-life balance at this company" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "No career advancement, no benefits, no job security" (in 11 reviews)

• "Too many long hours including weekend work not said but expected" (in 9 reviews)

"A Great Place to Start"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere of learning and advancement. Team-oriented. Advancement opportunities. Flexible workspace and hours.

Cons

Internal communication takes more time than necessary and projects get delayed. Processes are muddy and workflows aren't clear. Management is removed from what is happening with PMs and other team members.

Advice to Management

Meet with your team-members more to stay updated on account issues and wins.

2. "There is better - but its ok for now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Local, can take unpaid time offs if it is available on a projects

Cons

Only 3 sicks day a year, low pay for bay area, no overtime!!

"Great workplace with terrible management"

I worked at Welocalize part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse, dynamic workers and projects that definitely will challenge your skills! Fairly competitive salary, for what it's worth.

Cons

From day one, Welocalize has not demonstrated strong management. Higher up management is fairly aloof and does not seem to check up on the local management. This allows them to essentially operate untethered and ineptly so, which affects everything from the top down. Just to illustrate with the example of my first red flag: the day before I initially interviewed, I had to reach out and ask my recruiter what time the interview was scheduled for because they never bothered to tell me themselves. The cherry on top is that they then said they didn't remember (it hadn't been scheduled to begin with), and asked me if I knew!

Projects are regularly cancelled or delayed without any explanation and often on the day the project was slated to begin, often leaving independent contractors high and dry. However, should you ever be unable to take on a project due to personal time constraints, you will be condescendingly berated as if you are an employee and not an independent contractor! If you happen to be unavailable again due to anything short of a massive coronary embolism, you will fall out of favor and will not be assigned to more projects ever again. Sounds like a fair and honest policy, right?

Furthermore, if you do get the chance to take on full time work, you will always be at the mercy of the client you are contracted to. Most of the time, nothing you do is ever good enough because a statistical algorithm has determined you could have done more work that day. Either that, or somebody assassinates your character for their benefit.

Other than that, because of the contractor nature of the work, there is no real room for promotions, advancement or even raises. Benefits are sub-par, if you are even lucky enough to qualify.

Advice to Management

Either treat us like contractors or employees, stop trying to get the best of both worlds because it will make your workers resent the company and management. Stop letting inept managers become office overlords. Good luck!

4. "Okay for short term employment"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

You get paid even if you don’t have have anything to do, but it’s basically as if you’re on call, on site.

Cons

Very little room for growth, pay is nonnegotiable, and they take the majority of your paycheck for themselves. Only three paid sick days per year, and no paid vacation. Work directly for the client instead, if possible.

"QA Tester"

I worked at Welocalize full-time

Pros

Some of the management is very engaged in employee growth and promotions.

Some flexibility in when you work, no standard start and end time. Depends on project.

Cons

Much of management struggles to build strong employee rapport. Projects often change drastically or end fast enough that employee retention isn't as focused on as client satisfaction.

Constant threat of job security.

Unless you have the right setup, promotions are very limited, growth is unlikely.

"Not what I was expecting!"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

Love my colleagues - we are very collaborative and supportive. Great health benefits available if you are willing to pay a good chunk of money. Good work/life balance.

Cons

When I got hired, it seemed as though upper management was very involved on at least a weekly or monthly basis, but they are VERY far removed from the day-to-day functions of the business and seem to be very unsure of the direction they want to take the company.

It seems as though they would like to migrate from a strictly operations run company to more of a sales driven organization, but they have no idea how to do that. After 20 years, they still don't seem to know who they want to be and how to go about it, which causes the employees to suffer. The organizational structure of the company is also very confusing - no one seems to have a grasp on exactly what their role is.

In December, 2017, Smith (CEO)'s message to all employees in a Town Hall Meeting were to "stay the course" in 2018. No big changes, let's just expand on the great things we are doing. January 1, they change the compensation plan for salespeople (which definitely did NOT favor the employee), and in April, they completely shifted the management of the mostly new NABU sales team.

There are red flags all over the place at this company and being owned by a Private Equity Firm who doesn't understand the industry is not positively impacting the company or it's employees.

Advice to Management

I think you know how to hire great people, but I don't think you've quite figured out how to take care of them yet. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, but have a strategic plan in place before you make big changes and know what direction you want to go as a company. It's a confusing place to be and not one where you really feel valued as an employee. Also, when sales people have a big win or do well, praise them, get excited, share with the company - it's a big deal. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you, the end.

"Best experience in Localization in 10+ years"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've held various roles at five localization vendors over the past 12 years. Welocalize is far and away the best I've experienced. It's a sincere, loyal company that knows who they are and where they are going. Company leadership communicates the mission, vision and values for the company very clearly and expects every employee from the top down to understand them and live them out on a daily basis. In my experience, the company and my manager have been loyal and fair. I feel appreciated and valued and see plenty of advancement opportunities for myself and my peers. My work-life balance is great. I'm part of a fantastic team. I genuinely love working here.

Cons

Of course, no company is perfect. There will always be layoffs, bad decisions, people who don't play nicely with others, etc. People are human. But in each of these situations, I can see where Welocalize leadership makes the best decisions they can that will do the most good not just for the bottom line, but for the staff as well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Localization Specialist"

Former Employee - Localization Specialist in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Localization Specialist in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Welocalize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are bored sitting at home, it's a good place to hang out!

Cons

No opportunities for growth.
    No chance at any salary increases. (if they promise, don't trust them)
    Nobody cares if your role changes completely on the the client side and get more responsibilities and duties than what you were originally assigned to do.
    No professional management.
    Overall welocalize's perspective is to hire unqualified bodies to fill seats and to swindle their clients.

"Translators Italian / English"

Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros. This company is a terrible place where you wanna work. It’s not a good environment. I’m praying god everyday to help me find another place and get rid of this nightmare.

Cons

Micromanaging every single moment of my day. Pretend to control all email I’m writing before I can send. Controlling my text messages, on my private phone ( because they don’t give you a phone to work with ) . I have also to use my computer sometime because they’re computer are not upgrade and not working.
    This place make milion of dollars over the shoulder of normal people.. don’t pay a minimum salary, and treat persons like numbers, to make more money .
    We have lost all the social value . Only the dollar decide over the life of persons in this we localized company.... money money money ... take my money !!!! Give my life back to me.

Advice to Management

No advice, management in this company has sold they’re soul to the money money money maker... I can’t save them anymore...

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn about the industry, sharpen skills and be exposed to various situations that promote professional corporate knowledge and growth within your position.

Cons

The company tries to cut costs at the expense of full time internal employees as well as external contractors and vendors with whom they interact. The focus on increasing revenue is obviously superior to creating a strong work culture and long term collective growth. Although the quality of the services provided are excellent, the professionalism in terms of management and talent retention is lacking.

Advice to Management

Recognize the added value provided by loyal and hard working talent that is part of the company and promote growth through the timely provision of opportunities to move upward and a stable working environment that makes employees feel like they are a valuable asset and not expendable. Listen to the concerns and proactively tackle them to provide real-life palpable solutions to the teams already in place.