Welocalize Reviews | Glassdoor

Welocalize CEO and Founder Smith Yewell
Smith Yewell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Too many long hours including weekend work not said but expected" (in 9 reviews)

• "no benefits- OK we have some fruits but that is like a banana per person ( seriously" (in 9 reviews)

1. "great"

Pros

great communication, fast response, fun to work

Cons

nothing really say bad word

2. "Ok place for project managers; not so much if you're a tester"

I worked at Welocalize full-time

Pros

People are friendly, both co-workers and fellow testers. The amenities like free snacks were helpful.

Cons

Salary is low and the work is mind numbing if you're a tester/transcriber. Sometimes there is miscommunication with the project managers.

"Low pay but easy job w/ some Apple client perks"

Current Employee - Linguistic Tester in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Linguistic Tester in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, relatively low stress.

Cons

Monotonous work after a while. Not enough variety.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, so that they don't need to work 2+ jobs to make it. Also, managers are nice, but with the pay for the work, majority of employees are not motivated to do more than the minimum.

"Good benefits, leadership could improve"

Current Employee - Software Localization Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Localization Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits package was the best I have seen, it has decreased over the last year, but is till really good.
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Fast paced environment that changes constantly.
    - The executive team holds town halls at every major office, so you literally can sit down and talk directly with the CEO and ask questions.

Cons

- Internal advancement is non-existent. Your job role is not well defined so promotions dont really happen, the growth is organic.
    -Organic growth can lead to salary that is low compared to what your job role has grown to.

Advice to Management

- Develop internal talent more effectively to meet the projected needs of the company.
    - Set up clear paths career paths to traverse upward within the company.

"There is better - but its ok for now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Local, can take unpaid time offs if it is available on a projects

Cons

Only 3 sicks day a year, low pay for bay area, no overtime!!

"Great workplace with terrible management"

I worked at Welocalize part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse, dynamic workers and projects that definitely will challenge your skills! Fairly competitive salary, for what it's worth.

Cons

From day one, Welocalize has not demonstrated strong management. Higher up management is fairly aloof and does not seem to check up on the local management. This allows them to essentially operate untethered and ineptly so, which affects everything from the top down. Just to illustrate with the example of my first red flag: the day before I initially interviewed, I had to reach out and ask my recruiter what time the interview was scheduled for because they never bothered to tell me themselves. The cherry on top is that they then said they didn't remember (it hadn't been scheduled to begin with), and asked me if I knew!

Projects are regularly cancelled or delayed without any explanation and often on the day the project was slated to begin, often leaving independent contractors high and dry. However, should you ever be unable to take on a project due to personal time constraints, you will be condescendingly berated as if you are an employee and not an independent contractor! If you happen to be unavailable again due to anything short of a massive coronary embolism, you will fall out of favor and will not be assigned to more projects ever again. Sounds like a fair and honest policy, right?

Furthermore, if you do get the chance to take on full time work, you will always be at the mercy of the client you are contracted to. Most of the time, nothing you do is ever good enough because a statistical algorithm has determined you could have done more work that day. Either that, or somebody assassinates your character for their benefit.

Other than that, because of the contractor nature of the work, there is no real room for promotions, advancement or even raises. Benefits are sub-par, if you are even lucky enough to qualify.

Advice to Management

Either treat us like contractors or employees, stop trying to get the best of both worlds because it will make your workers resent the company and management. Stop letting inept managers become office overlords. Good luck!

7. "Okay for short term employment"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

You get paid even if you don’t have have anything to do, but it’s basically as if you’re on call, on site.

Cons

Very little room for growth, pay is nonnegotiable, and they take the majority of your paycheck for themselves. Only three paid sick days per year, and no paid vacation. Work directly for the client instead, if possible.

"Not what I was expecting!"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

Love my colleagues - we are very collaborative and supportive. Great health benefits available if you are willing to pay a good chunk of money. Good work/life balance.

Cons

When I got hired, it seemed as though upper management was very involved on at least a weekly or monthly basis, but they are VERY far removed from the day-to-day functions of the business and seem to be very unsure of the direction they want to take the company.

It seems as though they would like to migrate from a strictly operations run company to more of a sales driven organization, but they have no idea how to do that. After 20 years, they still don't seem to know who they want to be and how to go about it, which causes the employees to suffer. The organizational structure of the company is also very confusing - no one seems to have a grasp on exactly what their role is.

In December, 2017, Smith (CEO)'s message to all employees in a Town Hall Meeting were to "stay the course" in 2018. No big changes, let's just expand on the great things we are doing. January 1, they change the compensation plan for salespeople (which definitely did NOT favor the employee), and in April, they completely shifted the management of the mostly new NABU sales team.

There are red flags all over the place at this company and being owned by a Private Equity Firm who doesn't understand the industry is not positively impacting the company or it's employees.

Advice to Management

I think you know how to hire great people, but I don't think you've quite figured out how to take care of them yet. Change isn't necessarily a bad thing, but have a strategic plan in place before you make big changes and know what direction you want to go as a company. It's a confusing place to be and not one where you really feel valued as an employee. Also, when sales people have a big win or do well, praise them, get excited, share with the company - it's a big deal. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you, the end.

"A Great Place to Start"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere of learning and advancement. Team-oriented. Advancement opportunities. Flexible workspace and hours.

Cons

Internal communication takes more time than necessary and projects get delayed. Processes are muddy and workflows aren't clear. Management is removed from what is happening with PMs and other team members.

Advice to Management

Meet with your team-members more to stay updated on account issues and wins.

"Best experience in Localization in 10+ years"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've held various roles at five localization vendors over the past 12 years. Welocalize is far and away the best I've experienced. It's a sincere, loyal company that knows who they are and where they are going. Company leadership communicates the mission, vision and values for the company very clearly and expects every employee from the top down to understand them and live them out on a daily basis. In my experience, the company and my manager have been loyal and fair. I feel appreciated and valued and see plenty of advancement opportunities for myself and my peers. My work-life balance is great. I'm part of a fantastic team. I genuinely love working here.

Cons

Of course, no company is perfect. There will always be layoffs, bad decisions, people who don't play nicely with others, etc. People are human. But in each of these situations, I can see where Welocalize leadership makes the best decisions they can that will do the most good not just for the bottom line, but for the staff as well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!