Welocalize Reviews | Glassdoor

Welocalize CEO and Founder Smith Yewell
Smith Yewell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you might not have a job the following (no job security) no benefits because they don't let you work for a full 90days in a row (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and overtime all the time; management people are not very insightful and arrogant; HR is the worst (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great company but understand that uncertainty is part of the job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the work-life balance at this company. For example, if you need to leave come in late or leave early to go to an appointment, you can finish a project up that night. Employees use this perk all the time to pick up kids from school or workout between stressful projects. I also work on projects that I truly enjoy and work with awesome coworkers around the world!

Cons

Not really a con unless you are not used to a technology company. There are shifting priorities because clients change their minds and translators change their minds too! Employees need to be used to shifting priorities. Employees also need to know what their role is and know who to delegate the work to when a requester asks for something not in their job role. Again not a con, employees just need to own their role and ask for help if they feel overburdened!

Advice to Management

Let employees know that if they are overworked that they are probably taking on work that should be completed by other employees. They are working on this now, but we need more clearly defined roles within the company. Also, overtime spot bonuses should go out during peak seasons

2. "Music Grader"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

The work environment and atmosphere is good

Cons

Repetitive work, long hours sitting

"Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. Especially good for people who have kids or working on a higher level degree.

Trust. This came from my manager and the other upper management team. Managers value your input and will seriously consider your suggestions.

Cons

Lack of employee appreciation and team building activities. Sometimes I feel like I am just working anonymously. I don't really "know" anyone besides my team. If you work from home all the time, you will loose the human interaction with your co-workers. Can't grab a drink with your colleagues after work, can you?

Too many upper management?? It does not concern me but I think we have too many senior titled people in this organization. Maybe it is just because they have fancier names but I do not think we need that many VPs and directors to manage a small group of employees.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the high-potential employees. Really appreciate their work and give them room to grow. I really love this company and hope I can be a part of its success.

4. "A company in search of an Identity"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management was supportive; atmosphere is collaborative. Strong MT and Solutions teams. Many bright people.

Cons

Systems and technology are surprisingly archaic. You will become close bedfellows with Excel :) As a Project Manager you must simply figure out how to organize and thrive with your wits - as there is little or no automation or operational levers built into the working systems.

When pitching services and offerings to the client, you will quickly realize how few proprietary solutions Welocalize has to offer. Those that exist cannot hold a candle to the competition out of the box. Lets use gaming as an analogy: Welocalize caters to the the modern PC owners and their competitors cater to the gaming console community. While PC's can vastly outperform the consoles with the proper investment and time, a console provides a tidy solution right out of the box. As localization consultants who can only point our customers in the direction of the competition for technology and systems - Welocalize lacks a sticky corporate identity.

5. "Finance"

Current Employee - Finance in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Finance in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the sense of team and the no BS atmosphere.

Cons

Consistent training is something that is lacking.

Advice to Management

Push hard to keep the no BS atmosphere as we grow.

6. "Great Company to work with"

Former Employee - Vendor Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Vendor Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Welocalize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, have always been treated very well and respectfully by management. Pay is more than appropriate and everyone is looking out for one another.

Cons

Not really any that I could think of at the moment. The only "negative" aspects where due to last minute decisions made by the client, which could sometimes lead to slightly stressful situations.

7. "Worst Place to Work for"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of working from home

Cons

Long hours and overtime all the time; management people are not very insightful and arrogant; HR is the worst. They just laid off a lot of people without any notice before Christmas last year. Think twice before you want to become a full-time!

"EPM"

Current Employee - EPM in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - EPM in Portland, OR

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure if there are any as the there are so many cons. The engineering team is somewhat solid but creates a lot of churns and stress when customer facing requests pile up.

Cons

JOB INSECURITY... this company only cares about how much it makes and will work you to death. No sense of direction and only old employees are valued. You'll be left clueless on how the company works or expects from you as management will always try and find a scapegoat to blame for their failures. Too many long hours including weekend work not said but expected. No career growth. If you are a new hire, I am sorry for you as the support is just not there. They ll cut you off any minute no matter how great a job you do just for the sake of piling up more $$ for senior management. Not enough tech/IT/Engineers. Promotion is laid with thick favoritism left and right. Tools and processes are quite outdated. Your freelancers are trusting you less and less.

Advice to Management

You really need to evaluate your sub-managers and approach to retention. Company has grown too greedy to stink like mains stream corporate america. Value all employees regardless of seniority. Invest in IT.

9. "Good starting point"

Former Employee - Maps Quality Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Maps Quality Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Welocalize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was fair for the job that we were doing
    Flexible hours
    Work/Life Balance (once you leave the building you don't have to worry about your work)
    Working on-site at tech leading company
    Friendly co-workers and management

Cons

Very minimum career growth
    working on the same tasks over and over again

Advice to Management

Invest more into your lower level employees

10. "Brightest minds in the industry"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

Custom L10N programs. Innovation in key accounts

Cons

Complete lack of organic growth vision

Advice to Management

Fire and replace the CSO