WillowTree Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2021

4.6
WillowTree CEO Tobias A. Dengel
Tobias A. Dengel
Pros
  • "WillowTree's core values are not just talk - the team members display them on a day-to-day basis(in 25 reviews)

• "There is no pressure to return to the office (even if we have a brand new one waiting for us in Charlottesville(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Charlottesville can be an adjustment if you are coming from a bigger city, but I have liked it so far(in 18 reviews)

• "Work life balance can sometimes be less than optimal(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of WillowTree and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Amazing place to work

Feb 10, 2021 - Staff Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have really nothing but positive things to say about working here. Everyone here is passionate, great at what they do, and generous with their knowledge. The company works so well because we are trusted and given the agency to do adapt and do things the practical and correct way. The small, collaborative team style of development is a lot more enjoyable and also produces much better end result. I also constantly am learning a ton. Every day I look forward to working with these great people.

Cons

WillowTree pays well, but the salaries are likely lower than what you would get if you moved to a bigger city. However relative to cost of living the salary is very good, and the cities the offices are located are much better places to live anyway.

CEO

Thank you for the comments! Giving everyone here maximum autonomy and growth opportunities is a core philosophy. Cheers TD

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very few complaints, a wonderful place to work with great people

Apr 28, 2021 - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible culture, coworkers exhibit extremely high levels of craft, exec team is responsive to feedback, core values are actually ingrained in many company decisions and team culture, lots of office perks, fun projects to work on, managers encourage people to take breaks/PTO

Cons

Exec team resistant to full time remote work post-covid, allocation can sometimes be a mess & you can quickly change teams without much warning

CEO

Thx so much for taking the time to write this review!

3. 5.0

Best Place I've Worked So Far

Mar 4, 2021 - Senior Software Test Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Extremely supportive of employees and understands importance of work/life balance - The company has and supports several employee resource groups targeted to minority groups (and anyone can make new ones), and has made adjustments/created new initiatives based on feedback from these groups - Leadership is very clear about priorities, consistently seeks feedback from the employees, and actually creates and follows through action plans to improve - Many opportunities to grow, try out new technologies and has several processes to share information across the teams - Very positive, collaborative environment where the company's Core Values aren't just a footnote, but something that is baked into much of what the company does - Company is mostly flat, and promotions are done by merit - up to Senior Staff and Senior Engineering Director titles. So you are promoted when you are ready, not when you're ready and someone else in the role you want is promoted out/leaves the company. - Support open discussion among employees that wish to talk about pay and comp. - Flex PTO, with guidelines for minimum amount to take to attempt to minimize the issues with people not taking time off - There is a lot of autonomy in each office, branch (office subsection) and project team, and they intend to keep it that way.

Cons

- Opportunities can be heavily dependent on the project you've landed on. On the upside, most are short term or you can indicate a desire to work on a specific tech or grow in a certain area and they will work to fulfill that the best they can. - As with most tech places, there is a lack of diversity. Its better than other places I've worked, and they are working with relevant ERGs to improve, but still quite noticeable.

CEO

Thx for the review and the feedback. Totally understand the differences in projects -- as your project comes to an end, please don't hesitate to advocate for what you are looking for next with your Branch Leadership and your Mentor as well. Increasing diversity continues to be a top goal for 2021 and 2022.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to start your career, but that might be where it peaks

Apr 12, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Really great people. Everybody is wonderful to work with and reliable. * You will learn a lot, especially out of school * Management is transparent * Feedback is taken seriously by management * Good benefits overall (parental leave, sabbaticals, etc) * Offices are super nice (pre Covid)

Cons

* Your experience may vary depending on the client/project. Some are miserable to work on, others are much more enjoyable * While WillowTree is generally transparent, their salaries are not. There is very little visibility into what your pay will be should you get promoted. * Compensation is not very competitive, especially with more and more companies giving the ability to work remotely post COVID. I don’t think living outside the Bay Area makes up for the gap here. * WillowTree claims to be a team of “A Players”. But if that’s true why are we not paid like A players? * If you’re not careful, growth can be tricky as you can get pigeonholed pretty easily into one platform as an engineer. You really have to advocate for yourself here. * There’s a lot of cheerleading about how great we are, and sometimes it just gets old.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for the review. Like many companies, we struggled with the financial implications of COVID when many of our hotel and other clients had to suspend projects. We chose to do zero layoffs but instead temporary comp reductions (which were lifted at end of 2020). We are now on other side and having increased comp rapidly over the first 4 months of 2021, and will look to continue doing so. 100% agree that A players should be paid like A players.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Incredible Company With Endless Potential

Jan 14, 2021 - Business Development in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined WillowTree as part of a merger/acquisition 14 months ago. My experience has been the opposite of what I've heard about most mergers (typically negative). Working at WillowTree is an amazing experience, providing the opportunity to work with premier clients alongside some of the most talented and caring people I've ever worked with. With each new project, I'm continuing to think to myself, "this is some of the best work I've ever been a part of." It's extremely fulfilling. Leadership is extremely focused on team satisfaction + client satisfaction, consistently measuring and checking-in on these factors. Issues seem to be caught quickly, addressed in a very open manner, and followed-up on. I've worked in the agency/consulting industry for 15 years and the level of transparency and communication is superior to anything I've seen. The challenges presented by a global pandemic only highlighted the strengths of WillowTree, an authentically caring culture with insane talent. The company (from leadership down) pulled together and cared for each other, doing everything possible to maintain the amazing culture, despite being isolated. On the business side, we've maintained growth and optimism. I'd recommend WillowTree to anyone starting their career and looking for an incredible foundational experience, or a seasoned professional looking for a breath of fresh air.

Cons

- With fast growth comes frequent change. Things change quickly at WillowTree, which I could see not being for everyone.

CEO

Thank you for the comment. The merge with Dynamit was complicated by the fact that we entered COVID lockdown a few months after it happened. Glad to hear we've been able to keep the best of both cultures and continue to move forward!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The rating isn't a mirage

Oct 15, 2020 - Administrative Coordinator in Charlottesville, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've had the same response to the question of what my favorite thing about working at WillowTree is for the entire 3 or so years that I've been here: I love coming to work every day being surrounded by people who aren't only amazing at what they do, but who are passionate about doing their best work and constantly aiming to improve their craft. Love my team; love feeling like I can be myself at work; love having the space and support to shape what I do and have an effect on the work we all do. WillowTree's easily the best job I've had. It's worth noting that the company's handling of the current situation around COVID has been about as good as could be, too. There is no pressure to return to the office (even if we have a brand new one waiting for us in Charlottesville!). There is complete support, understanding, and flexibility to make the best of the situation. Gives me reassurance that, despite rapid growth, we're still connected to our roots and committed to our Core Values.

Cons

It's no secret that diversifying the team is something that WillowTree needs to work on, especially at the top. That said, its commitment to doing so is real when it could easily be vapid lip service—all of our diversity initiatives undertaken with feedback and support from our Trees of Color ERG (Employee Resource Group). While it's a direction that we should have prioritized more earlier on, I believe that we're absolutely headed in the right one.

CEO

Thank you for your kind comments, most importantly about the team members you work with and our approach to COVID. 100% agree we need to improve on Diversity and it's a major goal of ours. In terms of Client Core Values, we have moved away from several of our clients who didn't exhibit the core values to our team that we aspire to (e.g. not supporting psychological safety even after multiple rounds of feedback). We will protect our teams in these situations, so would love to hear examples directly if you feel that on a given project our teams are not being treated fairly.... - Tobias

7. 5.0

Transparency and Business Acumen

Feb 1, 2021 - Software Test Engineer in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Opportunities for upward mobility * Strong encouragement to learn new technology and to innovate * Great benefits * Transparency from the top down * Rich culture * Smart, pro-active business management * Direct access to executives * A strong and proven co-location philosophy * Input encouraged to any level of the company

Cons

* Inconsistent application of promotions and what job titles mean * Some communication breakdown between remote locations and executives * Lack of trust in their own core values

CEO

Thank you for the comments, especially around upward mobility, transparency and access to the exec team. Definitely focused on ever-improving communications among offices which has certainly suffered during COVID but we need to continue to prioritize... - TD

8. 3.0

No company is perfect.

Jan 11, 2021 - Senior Director, Program Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people The CEO and CMO are approachable and seem to care Position flexibility (within reason- you can’t take a Designer role expecting to do QA work. But if you want the change, WT will support the career transition) I mostly feel listened to by branch leadership and upper levels execs Things are being done to increase DEI initiatives for ALL types of employees.

Cons

Diversity of thought Diversity of team Diversity Note: I’m a BIPOC Woman working in leadership, out of a sea of 40 ish program managers, there are only three of us. I don’t think the lack is because there just aren’t enough diverse candidates... Durham office vs Cville office vs Cbus office vibes are VERY DIFFERENT. Some voices may have a hard time being heard if you’re not open, unable to articulate your needs, and lack a understanding of general business etiquette. Sometimes some voices are louder than others. But TD and Mike are very open to hearing you out - I have direct experience in approaching them.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work with a lot of opportunity

Jan 28, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of room for growth and advancement. There is encouragement for continuous improvement and education, education stipend is a solid perk. The company culture, even during COVID, has stayed strong. Management is transparent and does a great job of keeping the whole company on the same page. There are a lot of current and upcoming projects that are exciting and, for current, fun to work on. Co-workers are the best around, hands down. There is a real move to make the company more diverse and be a leader in the industry to push for positive change.

Cons

As comes with any project with a deadline, there are crunch times to get something out the door on time. However, team management make the effort to encourage taking time off to recharge.

CEO

Thank you. COVID has challenged us like nothing before and happy to hear the view that the company culture remains strong. We are all excited to one day get back to the office at least in a hybrid/some days on/some days off basis.

10. 5.0

WillowTree is my family

Mar 22, 2021 - Senior Software Test Engineer in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management is awesome and really cares about the employees

Cons

We have not started back in the office yet but WillowTree has helped get everyone situated for WFH

CEO

Thx everyone. Excited to start testing a hybrid WFH/Office work environment as well as vaccinations continue to progress...

Viewing 1 - 10 of 252 Reviews