WillowTree Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
WillowTree CEO Tobias A. Dengel
Tobias A. Dengel

Pros
  • Good work/life balance on the whole (in 7 reviews)

• There's always different projects to work on every few weeks, most of them from big name companies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance can get a bit hectic (in 8 reviews)

• There are legitimately no cons that I have experienced since joining WillowTree (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love It And Learning So Much"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WillowTree is such a great place to work. I feel the company strikes the perfect balance of pushing you to always improve, having an environment of safety to try new things and emphasizing great work life balance. This is on top of having fun afterwork events all year round and of course beer on tap at the office! I feel that I am learning so much while also doing meaningful and enjoyable work. I couldn't ask for more.

Cons

None, this is such a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the balance I mentioned above and the core values and I will be working here for a long time.

Feb 17, 2017 – VP of HR & Recruiting

Love to hear that you find your work to be meaningful and intend to be here a long time!

"Hands Down One of the Best Places to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Below are only a couple of reasons why I love WillowTree:
    • We have company wide happy hours every Friday.
    • Management is very easy to talk to and open to new ideas.
    • Great ideas are heard from everyone, no matter their title.
    • Working hours are not strict. You are trusted to get your work done.
    • One paid conference every year.
    • I can trust everyone on my team to pull their own weight.

Cons

Below are the cons of working at WillowTree:

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I love the freedom you give employees, and the trust put in them to get their work done.

"Amazing Company, Culture, Work & People"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With this being my first full-time job after college, it's hard to compare WillowTree to other companies but I know this place is incredibly special.
    - Passionate, smart and friendly people
    - Great benefits (fun sponsored events, flexible hours, working from home, good paid time off, healthcare and more, lunches, beer & kombucha on tap)
    - Work for some of the biggest Fortune 500 Companies in the US & Europe
    - Learn A LOT and get pushed by your teammates to become better
    - Safety and freedom to explore and try new things

Cons

Sometimes the work-life balance can be hard (it's also hard to stop working sometimes when you love what you do) but that balance could be said for any company in the creative field. WillowTree is BUSY which makes it hard on the team sometimes but busy is good because it means we are growing rapidly.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and transparent about thing with us. It's already something you do - but it's much appreciated!

"More than just a place of work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Test Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Test Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a ton of reasons I love working here! Here are just a few:

- Incredible Benefits
    - There is always an opportunity to step up goals, learn more, and with taking my career path to the next level.
    - WillowTree prioritizes culture and community more than anywhere else I've been.
    - Everyones voice matters here, no matter how long you've worked here and what your role is on your team.
    - Very horizontal company structure. No "boss" or "superior" breathing down anyones neck or criticizing how people perform.
    - This is a culture that promotes learning to the highest degree possible.
    - ALL ideas are taken seriously. I recently expressed my feelings for selecting a number of team members to get involved with an office safety training initiative. This wasn't even a technical initiative, but WillowTree saw my valid concerns and supported this initiative all the way through.

Most of all: The work we do here is AWESOME-- Happy people make happy apps.

Cons

More of a concern than a con-- I love our personable warm environment here. I just hope to preserve the beauty of what makes this company so awesome as we continue to grow.

Advice to Management

Note the concern above and keep up the amazing work.

May 26, 2017 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you. I think we all share that concern. We'll continue to focus on hiring nice people who do awesome work.

"WT is truly a wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - QA Software Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - QA Software Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Great place to work. You come in every day feeling excited and motivated. Working on great projects and feeling the impact of what you do. Really smart and motivated people working together in an awesome environment. Company culture is amazing.

Cons

Hardly any downsides. A great place to be.

Advice to Management

As WT grows, please keep the awesome culture and 'soul' that makes it a great place to work. Many companies lose their souls with growth.

May 26, 2017 – Chief Talent Officer

Doing our best to keep our soul :) Thanks for the feedback.

"Interesting Work, Kind People, Great Town"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful - so kind and passionate about their work. Like the other reviews have said, it makes you look forward to Mondays. I moved to Charlottesville from a big city, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. A friendly, beautiful town with a great night life.

Cons

Like most tech companies, women are far out-numbered by men. The company is definitely working to remedy this, and I hope any women reading this review apply!

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on closing that gender gap!

May 26, 2017 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your review. Diversity on many levels is something we are definitely focused on. I'll echo your sentiment - if you are a woman reading this review please apply!

7. "It's the BEST"

Current Employee - Software Test Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Test Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at WillowTree is an amazing experience. The company pushes you to learn and grow. They offer and encourage professional development in all areas so not only do you feel like you're doing meaningful work, you feel like you are growing in your career as well. Another great aspect is trust. No one is looking over your shoulder or demanding to know what you spent your day doing. The company and management trust you'll get your work done and allow you to express yourself the way you feel most comfortable. Lastly, the hours are great. WillowTree understands that people have other obligations outside of work and no one questions you if you have to leave to run an errand or pick up a family member or even for recreational purposes. They just trust that you'll get your work done and that makes coming here something to look forward to instead of feeling like having to go to work.

Cons

Nothing. Everything is great here from the people to the work to the environment.

Advice to Management

You guys are great!

"Incredible culture, great people, super work, stellar clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under our CEO Tobias Dengel, WillowTree has created a truly incredible place to work. The quality of the culture and the interesting, cool, socially conscious people dovetail perfectly with the creativity and flow of the work product. You can see the enthusiasm in our clients, whose eyes light up when they're in our offices. People are happy to work here and jazzed by what they create and who they create it with., We have a lot of the standard accoutrements of a tech firm -- amazing beer on tap, kombucha on tap, snacks, happy hours, etc -- but it's the culture of learning and creativity (like weekly "lunch and learns") that are the soul of the place.

Cons

Honestly, there's really not much I would suggest improving.

Advice to Management

Not much.

"Three months and counting"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely open environment on all fronts
    Opportunity for learning is always encouraged
    Lots of employee driven programs, such as meditation, dev discussions, board game nights, etc.
    Very close-knit, lots of opportunities to get to know your coworkers.

Cons

Many people work over 40 hours a week, not that it's a requirement, but the fact that your peers do means that it's easy to feel pressured.
    401k matching is just okay.
    Allegedly you don't get paid for your unused PTO when leaving?

Advice to Management

Meeting deadlines is hard and is an important thing. I've heard stories from other companies where they force (or at least encourage) employees to only work their 40 hours, and take adequate time off.

May 26, 2017 – Chief Talent Officer

Sorry you aren't completely satisfied with our benefits, but we do our best to make them exceptional.

"Best Place to grow your career!"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel so grateful to be able to work for WillowTree. They hire people because of your capability and potential, and they give you all the resources you can imagine to help you grow and shine! Team work is why this company grows so fast. I really enjoy working with brilliant and the most friendly people here. Everyday I can't wait go back to work! How cool is that you work on something you love!

Cons

There is no cons. Please keep what we are doing right now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!