KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

WillowTree Reviews

Updated May 6, 2022

Found 318 of over 357 reviews

4.6

What people are saying about WillowTree

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people are amazing; extremely smart and talented while somehow maintaining their humility.(in 53 reviews)
  • "The culture is great; the core values are taken seriously and are well thought out.(in 30 reviews)
  • "Everyone at WillowTree is friendly and helpful!(in 29 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and 'Top Shelf' talent(in 25 reviews)
  • "Gives me reassurance that, despite rapid growth, we're still connected to our roots and committed to our Core Values.(in 24 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of WillowTree and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fantastic Culture, Experts in Craft

Apr 19, 2022 - Program Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

The continuous learning culture of WillowTree is evident in everything from day-to-day project decisions all the way up to C-level management decisions, and the result is a company that listens to it's employees and is unafraid of experimenting in order to grow and get better. This culture attracts some amazing people, passionate about their craft and laser focused on delivering amazing software products.

Cons

As the company continues to rapidly grow there are some organizational challenges (a recent example being RTO, which was addressed by creating a new "Work From Anywhere" model to pair alongside the normal "Work From Near" model already in place) and working through these challenges can lead to a little bit of discomfort in the growth/experimentation period. That said, as long as WillowTree continues to be open to trying new things and listening to feedback I know that any challenges that appear will be quickly resolved.

CEO

Thanks for your comments especially about the amazing, passionate people here. And totally agree the biggest challenge for 2nd half of 2022 will be how we bridge the experiences of those who prefer a hybrid office culture (2 days a week) with those who prefer total WFH but coming into office one week a quarter. Lots of experimentation will be the key. - TD

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, maybe the next big tech company

Apr 14, 2022 - Platform Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people all around, very wide company instead of a tall company with a focus on its people. rapid growth right now, and just generally a great company. High quality of work, working with some big names.

Cons

So far, I've had very few cons in my year working here. I've moved around a lot between tasks which has been rough, but I think it's been reasonable and partly pushed by me and partly by business needs.

CEO

Thanks for the awesome review and love your analogy of a wide company vs. a tall company -- exactly what we're trying to do in terms of maximizing personal and team autonomy... - TD

3. 5.0

Cares about employees

Oct 18, 2021 - Platform Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

First WillowTree puts a lot of effort into making sure employees feel included, and making sure decisions are made together by the people closest to the work, which contributes a lot to feeling like you actually make a difference/matter in the work you do. Another great thing on this topic, teams for some time now have been starting to set specific and lofty goals/indicators to work towards and measure themselves with ("OKR"s and "KPI"s ); on every team I've been on so far, the managers/team have made an effort to keep team health as a major performance indicator and key result, and team health is measured by surveys. Using specific measurable indicators/results in this way made me uncomfortable at first, but I think many teams have baked team health into those measurements very well and that has helped a lot. Team members on every team I have worked with also have been really accepting, and will go out of their way to make people feel like they belong, and will encourage everyone to voice their own ideas if they have any. Another pro is I have the ability to switch between platforms and disciplines very easily, as long as I am curious and willing to learn. WillowTree gives lots of time each week for folks across teams to talk about / learn more about a platform. I have learned a lot more about android development in the last year than I would have normally thanks to the awesome coworkers I have talked to, including my current mentor who I meet with on a regular basis.

Cons

WillowTree seems to be a quickly growing company right now, and is still trying to adjust to the pandemic, although it is getting close to done.

CEO

Thank you for the excellent and deep review --- loved the observation that you were unsure at first of how OKRs and KPIs would impact our teams, but the results have been helpful. - Tobias

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A phenomenal company, full of exceptional people

Mar 21, 2022 - Senior Content Designer in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

WillowTree is a phenomenal company, populated by brilliant and creative individuals who are the absolute top of their game. Whether you’re thinking about applying for a job here or are a prospective client, I can attest that WillowTree is really second to none in the work that they do. I’ve been here three years, and I don’t see myself leaving anytime soon. A big part of that is how proud I am of what we do and what we create, and how positively I feel toward this company that has worked so hard to create such a unique workplace. I worked at companies with some very recognizable brand names, but where people were not invested in the work they performed or where the work atmosphere overall was dysfunctional. WillowTree is a very different experience. People here are such strategic, innovative, and creative thinkers with incredibly deep knowledge of the industry and their craft. I’m routinely struck by just how talented my colleagues truly are. And I really appreciate that everyone here is genuinely invested in the work they’re doing, and in making products better for clients and for users. A few differentiators: - Having been on the client side in a previous job, I can see that the approach and delivery here is far superior to what you’ll find at many other companies. - You expect to see a high rate of burnout or turnover in agency life, but not at WillowTree. The turnover rate is low and people stay for long periods of time. People are happy here, the company cares about work life balance, and employees can grow here. - Clear career paths and trajectories for growth and advancement. It's amazing to work for a company that you know wants to see you thrive and advance. - Cross-functional teams and lots of collaboration. You won't be working in a silo - you'll be working with engineers, data scientists, product designers, content designers, researchers, strategists, SEO and analytics architects, and more. So much expertise and such a breadth of knowledge on a project makes for high-performing teams that are exciting to be a part of. - I really appreciate how invested the company is in its employees. So much thought goes into making our experience here as positive as it can be. And our HR and office teams are so knowledgable, helpful, and always available to talk through anything you need. - WillowTree leadership is thoughtful and transparent in their decision making. They're also very accessible. Have some thoughts or questions you want to share directly with the CEO? No problem - he has open office hours and leadership is always available to talk with and connect. - Multiple learning opportunities, ways to grow your skills, and opportunities to learn about other disciplines across the digital product universe. - Supportive colleagues who are invested in you and your success. - Flexibility; stunning offices, the ability to work from home, and the ability to work remotely are all available. Overall, WillowTree is someplace where you can feel proud of the work you do and of the company that you're part of.

Cons

As with any agency you have little control over the types of projects you work on, though leadership certainly does try to take your preferences into account! I've found a lot of value in all of the projects I've worked on here, however.

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this super thoughtful and detailed review -- I hope others feel like it gives a bit of an "inside look" into what we're trying to do here.... - TD

5. 5.0

Great Place to Work!

Apr 14, 2022 - Senior Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, enjoyable work, good benefits. Basically everything you would want at a job you can find here!

Cons

Only con is that if you're a very talented/driven/competitive engineer, you can probably find other companies that have better pay (Amazon, Netflix, Large Financial firms, etc.).

CEO

Thanks for the review -- we do everything we can to make it awesome to work here, and we're always looking to increase comp and benefits.. - TD

6. 5.0

Supportive culture

Oct 14, 2021 - Product Architect in Charlottesville, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've enjoyed working at WillowTree. The management is transparent about plans to the extent possible, communication is frequent and in multiple formats, and the company strives to be inclusive. Our Core Values were developed by all the employees instead of by management as happens at many companies, and they are reviewed regularly and updated by company as a whole. (The format for this has changed since we have more employees in more locations now but the goal is still to enable input and feedback from everyone and incorporate that into the final product.) People talk about the Core Values here and take them seriously; they are used in everything from interviewing to annual reviews. There are a lot of opportunities to learn new skills and whole new domains, between the client mix and the range of opportunities within the company itself. Lots of options for lateral moves into different roles or movement up within a role. Teams are very autonomous. You have a lot of leeway to decide amongst your team how you will work and manage issues that arise during your project.

Cons

Some clients are more challenging than others.

CEO

Thank you for the review -- and yes completely agreed a big challenge will be maintaining our culture over multiple geographies and those working from home. We'll learn a lot next year as we (hopefully) emerge from pandemic and will keep our eyes on this... - Tobias

7. 5.0

My Favorite Company By Far

Apr 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great workplace culture, transparent leadership, fun team environments, great physical office space

Cons

Salary could be a bit higher

CEO

Thanks for the kind review -- and we're always working on improving comp and keeping ahead of the market!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company, if you're placed on a good project

May 6, 2022 - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture, Internal company tech

Cons

Embedded client projects, pay compared to the industry, options are pretty worthless

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great for people young and looking for experience.

Mar 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The idea that I could bring my authentic self to the company is what I was told - and I felt that, until about 2 months in. The sleek and relaxing offices were an added bonus. Great place for recent undergrads to learn. Tobias and Mike have a lot of experience to share!

Cons

I really struggled during my time there. I wrote an earlier review and lazily sugar coated things. However, after a recent conversation from another ex-Tree, I’ve decided to be honest and more direct with why I felt miserable there. I’m to blame for some of my issues. But the culture while there was not supportive towards a healthy environment for me and the diversity I thought they wanted. I was told WT was a place where I could be myself but events like the below made me realize staying would cause deep, deep emotional harm. Please note, some teams are great. Others need an overhaul. 1. Anyone with a VP or above should look into leadership training. Scenario: I brought up a few concerns re: my team. To my boss. I asked him to provide feedback or corrections I could make. I was pretty much verbally hugged and was told I was doing fine. However, two days later another employee approached me and provided his unsolicited feedback on the concerns I shared with my mentor - verbatim. I asked where he got my concerns from and he made up some story about seeing me struggle - which was odd, we weren’t on the same pod, sat at other sides of the office and I really had to make an effort to see him... The next day he confessed to lying and informed me my mentor told him about my concerns. I should note: your 1:1 convos are private to encourage psychological safety- a core value. 2. I cannot tell you how many times people on and around my team would either lie straight to my face during 1:1s and then complain and tell the opposite sentiment to a VP about an issue; or would second guess my work when they were not even a part of that department. even after I’d proven I was right or knew what I was talking about. Giving an exact example will call out people so let’s go with this example: Engg would question the delivery dates I’d read verbatim from the SOW. Heard a lot of “hmmm I don’t think that’s right” even AFTER I’d screengrab and slack the SOW. Or (true example) I was discussing a past employer and the app I built for them. Halfway through my 3rd sentence about a crazy bug we encountered on a build, a teammate interrupted and replied “I don’t think you could have built that app…” what a crappy way to form with your new teammate. I assumed positive intent and thought perhaps I misspoke or said something incorrect. But I didn’t. It’s nonsense that someone would think it’s professional to loudly question someone’s past work based on three sentences. But again, WT is great for those new to the professional world. 3. Due to side conversations heard around the office via certain culturally ignorant Leadership, recently promoted EMs , UXRs, and etc, I always felt like I had to provide three times the work to prove to them I deserved to be there. That didn’t sit well with me. When when I decided to leave, was emotionally exhausted. 4. When I was there, it felt like we had quotas to provide kudos. Good and or bad. After a while, it felt like if we didn’t provide, we were bad teammates. IMO this led to a culture of (oftentimes) incorrectly critical feedback. It was also emotionally taxing providing publicly positive kudos to those who may not deserve it, just so you don’t seem negative. *I only tried to provide constructive feedback in a 1:1. 5. When I realized WT was not the agency for me, and because I did not trust my boss, I asked HR for help. Perhaps I could move to a new project or something. I was just so very unhappy. HR told me if I considered leaving before my first year was up, then that meant I was a “bad hire.” I was honestly scared to hear that and in an effort to not be deemed a “bad hire” or someone who lied to get in (that’s where I took the comment), I sucked up ALL my issues and for an additional 18 months 5. I was put on a project where I was told I’d have more agency. When I expressed concerns to leadership about stakeholder management and that I wanted help with agency/autonomy, he claimed to be shocked I wanted to “own” the project. Someone had to, it was an internal project that needed a DRI to move it forward. At that time, I was told no one was responsible for it which is why it was stalled. After my “shocking” request, I was moved off the project. #x. About 3 months before I departed, I started to feel the stress of COVID and racial issues in America, and asked my boss/mentor for help (shame on me, because of point #1), but I felt really lost there and thought WT could support career counseling. (They do have a CC, but for some reason I forgot until I left). Anywhoo. I asked my boss for support and he immediately sent me the LinkedIn profile of a random woman. I asked if she was a potential new client. She wasn’t. Per my boss, he thought this random woman he once worked with 10 years ago could “help me with my problems” because I guess he was over me? The only connection this random LinkedIn woman and I had, outside from knowing my Supervisor, was that we’re both women of color. The next day I told my boss his act was incredibly off-putting. #xx. A bunch of other things relating to a few company culture issues:. E.g. a teammate rolling their eyes at clients whenever I spoke. Once I said something directly to them offline, they stopped. But why is that something you have to be told not to do?

7 people found this review helpful

CEO

Super sad to hear about the experiences you had here. I know easy to say after the fact but really wish we could have done better. This isn't at all the culture we want and most here profess to have. I would just ask anyone else having a poor experience to reach out directly to me if nothing else is working including our anonymous channel so we can get ahead of this and ensure no one else leaves with an experience like this.... - TD

10. 5.0

Great Culture Doing Challenging Work

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Transparent, honest, and caring leadership. Made zero layoffs in 2020 amidst the pandemic, with principles taking zero pay when a number of sold projects were cancelled by disproportionately affected clients (eg hotel operators). -Inclusive, intelligent, and thoughtful community. I have never felt so 'at home' in a company. We operate with a set of shared core values, which informs how team members are recruited and promoted, but also comes to life in day-to-day interactions when folks seek opportunities to help, don't shy away from tougher conversations, and bring their whole selves to work. -World class clients. We get to support F500 clients (something like ~20% of the Fortune 100 have been clients or partners) and leading non-profits -Work that matters. Our products are core to our clients' businesses - be it ticket booking apps for a cinema chain, apps that streamed the Super Bowl and World Cup, or mobile ordering apps for fast food chains. We work across a lot of different platforms and technology, which provides new challenges for folks to grow their skills. -Company growth creates new opportunities. The company continues to expand - new clients, new capabilities / project types, new geographies - which keeps things interesting and fresh. A lot of opportunities to do something different for folks that want it.

Cons

-Company growth puts a strain on recruiting and onboarding teams; we're doing a lot right now to scale those teams and create processes more aligned to a 700-person (and growing) company

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this and the focus on transparency. We do our best o be open. Also love your highlighting how amazing the team is, and how that leads to incredible projects for incredible clients. - TD

Viewing 1 - 10 of 318 Reviews

WillowTree Reviews FAQs

WillowTree has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 357 reviews left anonymously by employees. 95% of employees would recommend working at WillowTree to a friend and 91% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, WillowTree employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at WillowTree. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

95% of WillowTree employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated WillowTree 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at WillowTree to be senior leadership, benefits, career development and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with WillowTree Job Seekers