WillowTree Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
WillowTree CEO Tobias A. Dengel
Tobias A. Dengel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is more than just the hours" (in 11 reviews)

• "There is a lot of thought put into ways the work environment can be made better for team members" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on your projects, work/life balance can get erratic for a bit" (in 12 reviews)

• "This isn't just an "end of the project" crunch time; it's a "this entire project is a crunch time" crunch time" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Nothing Else Compares"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close your eyes and picture the coolest and most enjoyable place to work...this place is better. Here's why:

• The People: Working here initially can be intimidating because you are surrounded by such intelligent hard-working people. This makes for an unprecedented work environment that is challenging, stimulating, and rewarding all at the same time. Everyone is constantly pushing each other to become better. This is partly facilitated by the fact that everyone here is incredibly cool to be around. In an office full of people, I can't name one I dislike. I truly enjoy and care about the people I work with and for, and I believe that this is a shared sentiment throughout the office.

• The Opportunities: From a design perspective, working for a mid-sized company or with larger clients can mean getting shoved in a corner somewhere on a design team of god knows how many people where the work is so divided that you barely play a part in it. And the small sliver of work you do contribute may or may not even see the light of day (or screen). That is not the case here. You have an unparalleled opportunity to make an impact through design. Not only do you get to work with huge and exciting clients, but the teams are usually pretty small and agile. There is no excess of designers on one project, which means you have a sizable impact on the design direction for huge apps and websites—products that will be seen and used by thousands and potentially millions of people. In addition, the design team is relatively large and growing, so although you have a lot of autonomy on the project you're assigned to, you still have a team of awesome people to bounce ideas off of and get feedback from, which you’ll need because you may be asked to travel at some point to present your work to execs at a major, super cool client company. Literally the most ideal situation. How could you want more?

• Personal Growth: There is a mentoring program geared towards helping you grow in your role at the company. Your boss meets with you on a weekly basis to make sure everything is going well with you. They also dedicate 2 hours of work time a week to learning new things. They’re not afraid to invest in the betterment of their employees. Oh, and also, you get to choose a conference to attend once a year. And they pay for it. Ha, just wait. There’s more…

• They Actually Care: I have never met so many high-level people who truly care about the employees of the company, including the CEO himself. Company-wide meetings are held every other week to discuss the state of the company, recent wins for the company, welcome new employees, and openly answer questions or concerns. Recently, a huge company-wide survey/study was conducted to ensure that everyone was feeling included and good about working there. Like really? Is this a Disney movie? I could act surprised, but I’m not. Because this company is all about the surveys. Surveys about potential growth. Surveys about how you think the company should donate money. Surveys about how happy you are with the snacks they have in the office and what snacks you might like to see in the future. Surveys about what time works best for you for the company to rent a movie theater for the entire office to go see The Last Jedi. Like what? These are all real surveys, I’m not joking. That’s the level of caring that goes on here. And the CEO is constantly seeking feedback and input from all employees, and then (and here’s the kicker), he acts on it. I’ve witnessed multiple people (from many levels and departments) raise valid points and he then makes changes in response to it. And I don’t mean in like months…I mean days. Or even hours. Like really? Really?? Where else does this actually happen?

• Lavish Extras: Two paid lunches a week. State-of-the-art equipment and tools at your disposal. Snacks on snacks on snacks. You could probably survive off of all the snacks they have in the office. I haven’t tried it yet, but I bet you could. Bagels every Monday morning. Nitro brew on tap. Flexible hours: project teams set the core hours they will be in the office. Paid downtown parking. Fun company events. Happy hours every Friday complete with free alcohol and other beverages.

Cons

It can be intimidating to work with such big clients on large-budget projects if you haven't before. They help you with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing...this is awesome!

2. "Csr"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at WillowTree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money time off coworkers are great

Cons

Nothing to complain about. Great place to work

Advice to Management

None

3. "A place to grow no matter the stage you're at in your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since joining WillowTree in 2015, I've grown tremendously both personally and professionally. I came from a large, multi-national corporation where opportunities for growth were often blocked by bureaucracy and several levels of management. When I came to WillowTree I was able to take on more ownership and felt my work was making an impact. I've been exposed to many parts of the business and have grown so much. No matter your role or team, you have the opportunity to get involved with company-wide initiatives and push yourself beyond your day-to-day job responsibilities. To me, this is invaluable for my overall career trajectory. For example, I'm passionate about diversity and inclusion. WillowTree is the first company I've worked for to recognize the importance of creating a diverse and inclusive culture and actively seek ways to improve the workplace. They truly care about everyone's well-being and growth.

Other pro's:
    -Fully paid annual conference (I got to go to Seattle + NYC for 2 conferences I've always wanted to attend, but couldn't justify the cost or PTO if done by choice)
    -Fun company-wide events (annual company-wide summit, summer + holiday parties, Spirit Week)
    -"Always be improving" mindset. This is the first company I've worked for that doesn't say, "That's just how we've always done it." Instead, they encourage you to put together a plan and execute if things are inefficient or no longer working.
    -Health benefits (they pay for 100% of the premiums for team members)
    -Flexible working hours (although they encourage being onsite for collaboration, I've never felt I couldn't take the time I needed to take care of myself)
    -Weekly 1:1's (WillowTree doesn't do annual reviews, instead I meet with my manager weekly to get feedback and address issues in real-time)
    -Exposure to new technologies and clients
    -Sense of community (lots of team lunches, ERG's, ladies lunch, etc)
    -Location (I love being in the heart of downtown Durham and being able to walk outside to grab lunch or coffee)
    -Cold brew and kombucha on tap
    -Core values (every day I try to apply them to my work. It pushes me to be a better person. I know it sounds cheesy, but I appreciate a company always pushing everyone in the company to be a better person for yourself and for others).

Cons

Since I started, the company has gone through a lot of growth. We are facing some space constraints, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The company is addressing it and really excited about future plans to design spaces to fit our workflows.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, keep soliciting feedback and listening. I'm grateful you're always asking for feedback and constantly evolving. Your flexibility and courage to change things if they aren't working is one of the reasons that WillowTree is one of the best places to work for!

4. "Great place"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Personal responsibility, management that listens.

Cons

There are quite a few challenges with the explosive growth we've had in the past.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open minded, but don't lose your connection to your workforce.

"WillowTree has opened my eyes to what teams, a career, and a company should be like!"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Durham, NC

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership is dedicated to the happiness, success, and growth of every single employee. The teams are filled with kind, enthusiastic, and highly skilled individuals. Your growth is directly connected to your desires, goals, and dedication with actual mentors to who provide support, encouragement, and help you build a path to those goals.

WillowTree is a family focusing on open communication, actual autonomy, and champions the best idea no matter who it comes from. They care about employees and strive to train before every seeing a family member leave. However, they also understand that life is about doing what works for you and support fellow “trees” in their pursuit of happiness and experience.

WillowTree is by far the company so many other companies should seek to mimic. Which is fun because WillowTree has pulled together principles from so many other companies in diverse industries to create their core values.

Without a doubt this is the greatest company I have worked for!

Support - The company wants you to be happy. If you think you’d be happier in another role, they’ll help you out together a game plan to get there.

Benefits - Stocked Kitchens, 401K matching, competitive salaries, gym reimbursement, and so many more!

Clients - We work with some of the biggest names in almost every industry!

Leadership - The leadership team is hands down one of the greatest.

Teams - Highly skilled, intellectual, and efficient teams.

The list goes on! Just apply already!

Cons

No Remote Work - To some, remote work is a desire. WillowTree prefers teams to work in the office to communicate more effectively and work more efficiently.

Sick Days - Due go billing, sick days aren’t really a thing without taking PTO, however, you may work from him if you’re sick, have a table being delivered, or need to take care of a sick kid.

That’s it so far.

6. "Great place to learn"

I worked at WillowTree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You’ll work on lots of projects that matter and learn a ton from it.

Cons

Anyone good enough to get hired and be effective here could make 2-3x the salary by moving to a major tech hub. Join for the location, lifestyle, product experience, and brand names... not the compensation.

WillowTree Response

May 17, 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

WillowTree regularly benchmarks our compensation with industry leaders who are often located in larger, more expensive cities. Our team is world-class and we will continue to ensure that we are... More

"The best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture
    -Given multiple responsibilities
    -Talented coworkers
    -Opinion is valued
    -Excellent benefits

Cons

Space is small but we are moving into a new, larger building before the end of the year

Advice to Management

Do not forget your small company roots as you grow.

8. "User Acceptance Test Analyst"

I worked at WillowTree part-time

Pros

Great, exciting environment with lots of office perks.

Cons

UAT tasks are monotonous.

9. "Overall it is a very good company"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time

Pros

The nicest and smartest people you can work with.
    Be able to switch between projects every 6 months, just keep the excitement coming!
    Upper management try very hard to maintain a healthy environment
    If you want to grow fast, this is the place
    Company encourage employee self improvement
    Good work-life balance
    flexible hours as long as deliver on time
    The most pleasant working environment i have ever worked in.

Cons

Pay is low compare to similar position in other company
    Sometimes too much excitement and distractions make people hard to focus
    Switch between projects can be hectic for individual and team, especially in the middle of crunch time
    Management try their best to create a culture to ensure employee feel included, however, sometimes it is too much burden on individuals and not quite realistic.

Advice to Management

You all already doing a fantastic job!!
    Maybe consider a location doesn't have to be in downtown? it is cheaper, and may be safer.

10. "Intern"

Pros

Great people, nice office space, and an inclusive environment.

Cons

Communicating with folks from the other office sometimes made things difficult.