WillowTree Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
WillowTree CEO Tobias A. Dengel
Tobias A. Dengel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is more than just the hours" (in 13 reviews)

• "There is a lot of thought put into ways the work environment can be made better for team members" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on your projects, work/life balance can get erratic for a bit" (in 13 reviews)

• "Growing pains: Cville team is spread over a few different locations, but all within walking distance" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Nothing Else Compares"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close your eyes and picture the coolest and most enjoyable place to work...this place is better. Here's why:

• The People: Working here initially can be intimidating because you are surrounded by such intelligent hard-working people. This makes for an unprecedented work environment that is challenging, stimulating, and rewarding all at the same time. Everyone is constantly pushing each other to become better. This is partly facilitated by the fact that everyone here is incredibly cool to be around. In an office full of people, I can't name one I dislike. I truly enjoy and care about the people I work with and for, and I believe that this is a shared sentiment throughout the office.

• The Opportunities: From a design perspective, working for a mid-sized company or with larger clients can mean getting shoved in a corner somewhere on a design team of god knows how many people where the work is so divided that you barely play a part in it. And the small sliver of work you do contribute may or may not even see the light of day (or screen). That is not the case here. You have an unparalleled opportunity to make an impact through design. Not only do you get to work with huge and exciting clients, but the teams are usually pretty small and agile. There is no excess of designers on one project, which means you have a sizable impact on the design direction for huge apps and websites—products that will be seen and used by thousands and potentially millions of people. In addition, the design team is relatively large and growing, so although you have a lot of autonomy on the project you're assigned to, you still have a team of awesome people to bounce ideas off of and get feedback from, which you’ll need because you may be asked to travel at some point to present your work to execs at a major, super cool client company. Literally the most ideal situation. How could you want more?

• Personal Growth: There is a mentoring program geared towards helping you grow in your role at the company. Your boss meets with you on a weekly basis to make sure everything is going well with you. They also dedicate 2 hours of work time a week to learning new things. They’re not afraid to invest in the betterment of their employees. Oh, and also, you get to choose a conference to attend once a year. And they pay for it. Ha, just wait. There’s more…

• They Actually Care: I have never met so many high-level people who truly care about the employees of the company, including the CEO himself. Company-wide meetings are held every other week to discuss the state of the company, recent wins for the company, welcome new employees, and openly answer questions or concerns. Recently, a huge company-wide survey/study was conducted to ensure that everyone was feeling included and good about working there. Like really? Is this a Disney movie? I could act surprised, but I’m not. Because this company is all about the surveys. Surveys about potential growth. Surveys about how you think the company should donate money. Surveys about how happy you are with the snacks they have in the office and what snacks you might like to see in the future. Surveys about what time works best for you for the company to rent a movie theater for the entire office to go see The Last Jedi. Like what? These are all real surveys, I’m not joking. That’s the level of caring that goes on here. And the CEO is constantly seeking feedback and input from all employees, and then (and here’s the kicker), he acts on it. I’ve witnessed multiple people (from many levels and departments) raise valid points and he then makes changes in response to it. And I don’t mean in like months…I mean days. Or even hours. Like really? Really?? Where else does this actually happen?

• Lavish Extras: Two paid lunches a week. State-of-the-art equipment and tools at your disposal. Snacks on snacks on snacks. You could probably survive off of all the snacks they have in the office. I haven’t tried it yet, but I bet you could. Bagels every Monday morning. Nitro brew on tap. Flexible hours: project teams set the core hours they will be in the office. Paid downtown parking. Fun company events. Happy hours every Friday complete with free alcohol and other beverages.

Cons

It can be intimidating to work with such big clients on large-budget projects if you haven't before. They help you with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing...this is awesome!

2. "Truly a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software QA Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software QA Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You constantly read about companies ‘caring about their employees’, Willowtree walks that talk.
    The human aspect of Willowtree is what makes it so amazing. You come into work knowing you’re working with amazingly smart people and also some of the nicest.

Cons

Cons are some of the growing pains of expansion and rapid growth which is being accessed and handled properly by the management team.

Advice to Management

Thank you all for making Willowtree such a great place to work.

3. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time

Pros

People are always willing to help out and listen to your ideas. Everyone is nice, helpful, smart, and they trust you to make good decisions. Leadership is open and willing to listen to how you think WillowTree can be a better place to work.

The employee resource groups are a really great support system. I'm able to be out at work and I'm really grateful to work here.

Cons

I think the process for allocation needs to be refined, but I think that we're taking steps to improve it.

"Best tech company you can imagine"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, talented, caring, fun people
    Employees are valued and respected
    Work-life balance is respected
    Interesting work; interesting clients
    Growth opportunities are abundant
    Curiosity and continual learning highly promoted (1 class per year, plus ongoing innovation opportunities)
    Core values encourage a high level of collaboration, trust, and respect
    Fast growth but deliberate strategies to keep the culture

Cons

Growth is hard and it's easy for communication to break down. A flat organization is nice but people can get left out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing
    Consider different organization structures

"Great place to learn and grow - full of smart and nice people"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so nice and supportive -- and smart. You're given a lot of autonomy and are allowed to do as you please. Also, cool client projects, and an exciting future for the company!

Cons

Too many snacks in the workplace, easy to gain weight. Just kidding, I love WillowTree.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Focus on the people, and the rest will come.

6. "Could not be happier to have joined WillowTree"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- transparent and experienced leadership
    - teams of highly-engaged, talented individuals who care about their craft
    - a growing portfolio of big clients who trust us to do innovative things
    - significant year-over-year growth that brings big new opportunities for everyone

Cons

not a con, but a challenge - managing the evolution of the company culture as it grows. There is a clear focus from the executive team on never losing sight of that and during my short time here, things have only gotten better.

7. "Best place to work in the United States"

Current Employee - Software Engineer, Backend in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer, Backend in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free breakfast once/wk
    - Free lunch twice/wk
    - Lunch once/wk is supplemented with a presentation "lunch and learn"
    - The other lunch is at a restaurant of your choice with your team
    - Board game club (with dinner included for free)
    - T-shirts, t-shirts, t-shirts (swag in general)
    - Relaxed company attire and culture
    - Project based teams
    - Located in Charlottesville, VA (not a city)
    - As many peer/supervisor one-on-ones as you want
    - Monthly education budget
    - Library of really good books
    - 401K/HSA + 50% company match
    - Stock options
    - Standing/sitting desks + monitors + macbooks
    - Work when you want, where you want, as long as its conducive to your team
    - We hate "meetings"
    - We are brain surgeons, not doctors, not waiters
    - I'm constantly learning
    - Company happy hours every Friday (yes, free alcohol)
    - We have beer on tap, wine and sometimes hard liquor
    - ERGs
    - Recruiting rocks
    - Company all hands biweekly
    - Referral bonuses
    - Transparent about pretty much everything

Cons

- Compensation is average to start (not sure about promotions/retention yet, but I know retention is ridiculously high so I'm staying optimistic)

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing!

8. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time

Pros

-Transparency from the exec team
    -Extremely collaborative environment
    -Plethora of knowledge that everyone is willing to share
    -Celebrations of the positives, all the time
    -Constant encouragement to try new things
    -Core Values are not just something that were written and posted on the company's page. This is engrained in everyone's day-to-day activities

Cons

-Growing pains: Cville team is spread over a few different locations, but all within walking distance. This will be addressed soon with the new space

Advice to Management

Keep being real with everyone. It makes us want to stay.

9. "Great people, culture, and opportunities"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WillowTree is experiencing exciting growth, which creates a lot of opportunity for everyone. Management operates in a very honest and transparent fashion, which is a breath of fresh air from prior jobs. Colleagues are thoughtful, curious, passionate, and committed to their respective craft. The business has embraced a set of Core Values (each of which resonate with me) that really shape the overall culture.

Cons

The Charlottesville team is currently dispersed across multiple locations - though they are all within walking distance of each other, it does split up the overall company day-to-day. Our move in 2019 to a new campus should fix this, which is exciting.

10. "A place that makes you want to work without any stress"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Work/life balance
    2. collaborative people around you
    3. Follows new technology standards

Cons

I don't see any till now.