WillowTree Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
WillowTree CEO Tobias A. Dengel
Tobias A. Dengel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is more than just the hours (in 11 reviews)

• There is a lot of thought put into ways the work environment can be made better for team members (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • In client services, work/life balance can be difficult at times because of deadlines (in 12 reviews)

• This isn't just an "end of the project" crunch time; it's a "this entire project is a crunch time" crunch time (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Nothing Else Compares"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close your eyes and picture the coolest and most enjoyable place to work...this place is better. Here's why:

• The People: Working here initially can be intimidating because you are surrounded by such intelligent hard-working people. This makes for an unprecedented work environment that is challenging, stimulating, and rewarding all at the same time. Everyone is constantly pushing each other to become better. This is partly facilitated by the fact that everyone here is incredibly cool to be around. In an office full of people, I can't name one I dislike. I truly enjoy and care about the people I work with and for, and I believe that this is a shared sentiment throughout the office.

• The Opportunities: From a design perspective, working for a mid-sized company or with larger clients can mean getting shoved in a corner somewhere on a design team of god knows how many people where the work is so divided that you barely play a part in it. And the small sliver of work you do contribute may or may not even see the light of day (or screen). That is not the case here. You have an unparalleled opportunity to make an impact through design. Not only do you get to work with huge and exciting clients, but the teams are usually pretty small and agile. There is no excess of designers on one project, which means you have a sizable impact on the design direction for huge apps and websites—products that will be seen and used by thousands and potentially millions of people. In addition, the design team is relatively large and growing, so although you have a lot of autonomy on the project you're assigned to, you still have a team of awesome people to bounce ideas off of and get feedback from, which you’ll need because you may be asked to travel at some point to present your work to execs at a major, super cool client company. Literally the most ideal situation. How could you want more?

• Personal Growth: There is a mentoring program geared towards helping you grow in your role at the company. Your boss meets with you on a weekly basis to make sure everything is going well with you. They also dedicate 2 hours of work time a week to learning new things. They’re not afraid to invest in the betterment of their employees. Oh, and also, you get to choose a conference to attend once a year. And they pay for it. Ha, just wait. There’s more…

• They Actually Care: I have never met so many high-level people who truly care about the employees of the company, including the CEO himself. Company-wide meetings are held every other week to discuss the state of the company, recent wins for the company, welcome new employees, and openly answer questions or concerns. Recently, a huge company-wide survey/study was conducted to ensure that everyone was feeling included and good about working there. Like really? Is this a Disney movie? I could act surprised, but I’m not. Because this company is all about the surveys. Surveys about potential growth. Surveys about how you think the company should donate money. Surveys about how happy you are with the snacks they have in the office and what snacks you might like to see in the future. Surveys about what time works best for you for the company to rent a movie theater for the entire office to go see The Last Jedi. Like what? These are all real surveys, I’m not joking. That’s the level of caring that goes on here. And the CEO is constantly seeking feedback and input from all employees, and then (and here’s the kicker), he acts on it. I’ve witnessed multiple people (from many levels and departments) raise valid points and he then makes changes in response to it. And I don’t mean in like months…I mean days. Or even hours. Like really? Really?? Where else does this actually happen?

• Lavish Extras: Two paid lunches a week. State-of-the-art equipment and tools at your disposal. Snacks on snacks on snacks. You could probably survive off of all the snacks they have in the office. I haven’t tried it yet, but I bet you could. Bagels every Monday morning. Nitro brew on tap. Flexible hours: project teams set the core hours they will be in the office. Paid downtown parking. Fun company events. Happy hours every Friday complete with free alcohol and other beverages.

Cons

It can be intimidating to work with such big clients on large-budget projects if you haven't before. They help you with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing...this is awesome!

2. "WillowTree has opened my eyes to what teams, a career, and a company should be like!"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Durham, NC

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership is dedicated to the happiness, success, and growth of every single employee. The teams are filled with kind, enthusiastic, and highly skilled individuals. Your growth is directly connected to your desires, goals, and dedication with actual mentors to who provide support, encouragement, and help you build a path to those goals.

WillowTree is a family focusing on open communication, actual autonomy, and champions the best idea no matter who it comes from. They care about employees and strive to train before every seeing a family member leave. However, they also understand that life is about doing what works for you and support fellow “trees” in their pursuit of happiness and experience.

WillowTree is by far the company so many other companies should seek to mimic. Which is fun because WillowTree has pulled together principles from so many other companies in diverse industries to create their core values.

Without a doubt this is the greatest company I have worked for!

Support - The company wants you to be happy. If you think you’d be happier in another role, they’ll help you out together a game plan to get there.

Benefits - Stocked Kitchens, 401K matching, competitive salaries, gym reimbursement, and so many more!

Clients - We work with some of the biggest names in almost every industry!

Leadership - The leadership team is hands down one of the greatest.

Teams - Highly skilled, intellectual, and efficient teams.

The list goes on! Just apply already!

Cons

No Remote Work - To some, remote work is a desire. WillowTree prefers teams to work in the office to communicate more effectively and work more efficiently.

Sick Days - Due go billing, sick days aren’t really a thing without taking PTO, however, you may work from him if you’re sick, have a table being delivered, or need to take care of a sick kid.

That’s it so far.

3. "The best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture
    -Given multiple responsibilities
    -Talented coworkers
    -Opinion is valued
    -Excellent benefits

Cons

Space is small but we are moving into a new, larger building before the end of the year

Advice to Management

Do not forget your small company roots as you grow.

4. "User Acceptance Test Analyst"

I worked at WillowTree part-time

Pros

Great, exciting environment with lots of office perks.

Cons

UAT tasks are monotonous.

5. "Overall it is a very good company"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time

Pros

The nicest and smartest people you can work with.
    Be able to switch between projects every 6 months, just keep the excitement coming!
    Upper management try very hard to maintain a healthy environment
    If you want to grow fast, this is the place
    Company encourage employee self improvement
    Good work-life balance
    flexible hours as long as deliver on time
    The most pleasant working environment i have ever worked in.

Cons

Pay is low compare to similar position in other company
    Sometimes too much excitement and distractions make people hard to focus
    Switch between projects can be hectic for individual and team, especially in the middle of crunch time
    Management try their best to create a culture to ensure employee feel included, however, sometimes it is too much burden on individuals and not quite realistic.

Advice to Management

You all already doing a fantastic job!!
    Maybe consider a location doesn't have to be in downtown? it is cheaper, and may be safer.

6. "Intern"

Pros

Great people, nice office space, and an inclusive environment.

Cons

Communicating with folks from the other office sometimes made things difficult.

7. "Incredible place to work!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging projects and getting to work with brilliant people (who are actually nice people too!) are some of the highlights of working at WillowTree! Each and every single day I look forward to getting into work and making an impact. The core value of Ownership isn't just a buzz word on the website, it's baked into nearly everything WillowTree does as a company. Whether you've been with the company for 3 months or 3 years, you're completely encouraged to take ownership, ranging from things like owning a feature of a project or leading a new research effort.

WillowTree does a fantastic job of caring about their employees and constantly getting feedback from everyone at the company, whether it's for large-scale company wide initiatives or something much more minor.

There are so many additional positive things that contribute to WillowTree being an amazing place to work, but to name a few:
    - Family-like culture
    - After work events
    - Flexible hours
    - Snacks & paid lunches

Cons

Besides normal growing pains, hardly anything to complain about!

Advice to Management

Keep innovative focus, and continue to elicit feedback from employees, especially as we continue to grow! Keep it up!

8. "Awesome environment with Awesome people"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here because everyone is encouraged to pursue whatever they want to. It's super fun going to work every day to work on some of the best apps out there, some new emerging tech stuff, or figure out a way to make something better/

Cons

The rapid growth and expansions have had some growing pains, but everyone has been super chill and open to feedback.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. "Top Notch Tech Firm, Small Town Lifestyle"

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cville is consistently voted one of the places in the US with the highest quality of life. I would say living here feels almost European, especially if you constrain your daily existence to the downtown area. I love living here. The only piece missing piece has been a great place to work. For years I thought that was just the trade -ff for being able to live and start a family here. Since being at WT, its sometimes been hard not to kick myself for finding a way in sooner! At WT, everyone you work with cares: about their craft, about the finished product, and about their teammates. At WT everyone tries. Problems don’t fester. If you commit to the work, which is challenging, it is impossible not to learn and grow here. Family friendly. Invested in the social good via giving and heavily discounted rated to non-profits. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Not incredibly diverse, but management is tackling this issue with tact and determination. Sometimes culture skews towards the sophomoric. Depending on your projects, work/life balance can get erratic for a bit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the commitment to maturation of company culture and diversification. Keep pushing R&D.

10. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are kind and easy to work with. The culture is great; the core values are taken seriously and are well thought out. There is a lot of thought put into ways the work environment can be made better for team members. There are a lot of opportunities to learn and take on different responsibilities to grow your career.

Cons

It's a shame to be split between buildings in Charlottesville, but I appreciate that the company is working toward a solution that would allow everyone to work in the same place.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!