Workplace Options Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2019

Workplace Options CEO C. Dean Debnam
C. Dean Debnam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Honestly, the free coffee everyone talks about in the pros section is pretty bad coffee" (in 12 reviews)

• "It is a company that walks the talk in regards to work life balance and focuses on a healthy workforce both mentally and physically" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "This company is one that promotes a work/life balance and I have never had a harder time balancing my family life than I have here" (in 5 reviews)

• "Somewhat stressful (at times) call center" (in 8 reviews)

"Workplace Options Review"

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working with Workplace Options for over seven years (full-time) in a variety of different capacities to include consultation, counseling and now account management. Workplace Options offers a variety of benefits to their employees to include; wellness, counseling and work-life services to name a few. The culture of Workplace Options is positive, supportive and encourages departmental growth. The opportunities offered are endless. Their exchange program benefit is definitely unmatched!

Like any other employer, your growth within the organization depends on your ability to take initiative, be flexible, professional and have great work ethic.

Cons

As a growing Global company with many moving parts, communication within departmental roles can be difficult. However, this is an area that has greatly improved overtime and the company has offered different initiatives to ensure/assess growth.

Advice to Management

Collaboration and ongoing management training's to support staff is always key.

2. "Okay company to work for; quality of business has declined"

Current Employee - Backup Care Advantage- Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Backup Care Advantage- Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

job security, flexible, diverse, great coworkers

Cons

production and numbers-based; hire rate has decreased

"Okay First Job"

I worked at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

Great colleagues
    Gym access
    Constantly growing

Cons

Work-life balance
    Office politics
    Micromanagement
    Stagnant projects

4. "Billing Team Lead"

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Coffee, good co workers

Cons

Stressful, understaffed, demanding, long hours. Promotions came with additional work, but little to no extra income.

"Work-life Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything the other reviews say about this company is true. Your Coworkers are awesome and the job is really not that bad. It is really all about upper management refusal to listen to their employees.

Cons

Upper management is horribly run. They never listen to their employees and there is no reward for working your hardest. Pay never goes up, even if you have been with the company for years. Very disorganized and horrible communication. Some people in upper management do not do anything.. its amazing how they are still here.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to what your employees are saying. Holding pointless meetings about changing things but making no actual change is what discourage your employees. They want to be paid fairly and be trusted to do their jobs if you can not make that change then don't bother holding the meetings. Also, keep a closer eye on some of your upper management employees who literally sit their office and do nothing but internet surf, its extremely unprofessional and makes the company look bad.

"Zero leadership from management and zero teamwork from coworkers."

Pros

Flexible for students, easy work, wonderful customers.

Cons

Nobody works as a team, nobody wants to train new employees (only complain about them to bolster themself), scheduled way less than available, dirty, disorganized, poor leadership from management and “team”, a lot of favouritism.

Advice to Management

Management drinking and partying with employees should not be happening. It is highly inappropriate. Senior employees should be trained on how to train new employees to help them grow as employees. More teamwork would help. There should be a daily and weekly cleaning list that is followed, and the favouritism should stop.

"Former Work-life consultant for Elder team"

Former Employee - Work-life Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Work-life Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent work hours
    thorough training and support for new hires
    earn extra money when you exceed quota of completed cases

Cons

mediocre staff morale
    job description can be misleading
    long hours on phone and computer
    stress inducing environment if you do not meet quota of cases

Advice to Management

increase staff morale through team and employee recognition

"Prior Reviews Were Telling... Wish I Had Listened"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

Co-workers were great people and easy to get along with. They made the job bearable, for a while anyway.

Cons

The work environment here is truly dreadful. I remember reading some of the bad reviews before accepting the job offer, and it turns out they were justified.

Management was very vague on why the office is less than half the size it used to be, although it seems clear former staff all 'left' within a fairly short period of time and it seems to correlate with a change in management. It also seems they have been desperately hiring ever since, and I can see why. I was hired along with one other person who left within two-weeks of taking the job. Wish I had taken their advice and left with them.

Management is definitly micromanage-y in the worst and most unhelpful kind of ways. My trainer was also needlessly combative in a few situations, which added to the uncomfortable working environment. Interactions with management were often fake, shallow and disingenuous, which I honestly think reflects much of the the company as well.

The work was extremely boring, and I was often left for hours with nothing to do but read policy handbooks. They really talk up the helping service members thing at first, but it becomes apparent pretty quickly that interaction is minimal and never genuine. In short, the work is ungratifying, and I don't think I could recommend it to anyone who isn't a robot.

A highlight for me was when I was on the phone with a social service worker, who asked me what it was my company did. After giving them a fairly scripted response, they replied with: "So, you don't really do anything, do you?" I felt obligated to defend myself, and by extent WPO, but I realized it only felt bad because it was the truth.

TL;DR: If someone reaches out to you on Indeed and offers you a job on a silver platter, there's probably a good reason why. Don't make the same mistake I did.

"GREAT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Worker in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Worker in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everything about this company is great

Cons

Nothing about this company sucks

"Workplace Options"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people at the company are great, and joined the company because they want to work for a place that makes a difference. The benefits are okay, and the company supports the idea of work-life balance.

Cons

There is generally an overwhelming amount of work to do, and resources are thin. This isn't a low stress place to work. Things change frequently and there is poor communication across some departments.

Advice to Management

Support better internal communications. Create career advancement opportunities for non-management roles. Recognize how hard people work.