Workplace Options Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Workplace Options CEO C. Dean Debnam
C. Dean Debnam
1 Rating

Pros
  • Honestly, the free coffee everyone talks about in the pros section is pretty bad coffee (in 11 reviews)

• The exchange program is a great idea (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat stressful (at times) call center (in 7 reviews)

• Hard work is not appreciated or aknowledged unless you have one of the select good TLs; upper management will not do this (in 7 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work overall"

I worked at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

I worked with nice people who seemed motivated to do a good job.

Cons

Somewhat stressful (at times) call center

Advice to Management

None

"Noticeable difference"

Current Employee - Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at WPO for over 5 years and can't believe how much it has changed in last 6 months. Communication from the top down has been improving and the company has been focusing and stressing the importance of quality with its Power of the Conversation campaign. Team leads have been really engaged in making my and my co-workers day easier.

Co-workers are great. Great team support.

Cons

Still have some crazy days with the demands on the phones

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you been doing over the last 6 months. It is a noticeable difference

"Fraudsters"

Former Employee - Call Center in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Call Center in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in edassist is pretty much the only pro here it's the only job in the company that's not overwhelming.

Cons

Unfortunately many. Over time working in the edassist dept i started to suspect there was something fishy going on. I used to have to deal with frustrated people because none of the documentation they submitted seemed to be good enough for reimbursement and many of them would go over the deadline before they could you say win the game. Still i liked my job i was hired in peak season but what happened could've never prepared me for what was going to happen a just a couple months after being hired. So anyways I'm doing my job I'm getting it I'm liking it i trained for a couple weeks with the supervisor and making good money i bought a brand new car thinking my job was secure. Guess what it wasn't!. Two months in i get called into the managers office and she said GUESS WHAT YOUR JOB IS BEING ELIMINATED! We're not getting enough calls in edassist. BUT GOOD NEWS! We're moving you to BUCA........

Oh these people i finally get situated in my dept and NOW they wanna switch me somewhere else. Apparently i was told THEY DO IT ALL THE TIME!. I thought oh well at least i didn't lose my job.

BUCA (BACKUP CARE ADVANTAGE) is a terrible dept it involves micromanaging and if your a man your gonna be working with all women it'll drive you nuts.

Anyways i quit i was disgusted with this company and am glad i have no future in it.

Advice to Management

Don't hire someone then fire someone so damn soon.

"Mediocre at Best, But Varies"

Former Employee - Clinical in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to have a good supervisor, you're in luck and they are great supports. Select team leads are very supportive too. This makes all the difference in the world and why I lasted as long as I did. Your surrounding team/coworkers make all the difference too; this is most of your support.

Cons

Communication is not nearly transparent enough on crucial topics. Bonus structure they promise you often fails and goes through "changes" not in your favor with no explanation really. Hard work is not appreciated or aknowledged unless you have one of the select good TLs; upper management will not do this. Most importantly, you don't feel needed or essential by upper management. They are very transparent about finding another you quickly without care.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve essential communication to your clinical team. Show individual appretiation rather than group everything rewarding those whom do not. Make employees feel valued and irreplaceable, even if you feel that is false to decrease the high turnover rates.

6. "Accurate"

Former Employee - Work-life Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Work-life Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great deal of flexibility and opportunity for upward mobility because it is a growing company with a global reach.

Cons

The expectation is that you are supposed to work in all groups not necessarily the ones you were hired for

7. "Backup Care"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Starting pay is good, Flexibility

Cons

Pay increases, favoritism, micro-management, unprofessional, petty, not compassionate

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism and know your job before you train / give negative feedback

"I would give no stars if I could"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people who have worked here, but competent people don't stick around long.

Cons

Too many to list. Could care less about their employees, quality of service, customers, etc. The smart employees see right through management's deceptive practices and leave. If they could hire robots to work with people in distress, they would. Basically, if you can spell your own name you'll be hired, but beyond that any living breathing monkey will do. I know of many dissatisfied customers because of the area I work in, but all management cares about is who they can blame. They need to take a good long look in the mirror! There are people in leadership/management positions that would never even be considered at a reputable company. It is a highly toxic environment and I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone to work at or do business with.

Advice to Management

Hire an objective outside consultant that is not part of the incestuous hierarchy to do a complete assessment, and clear out the incompetent self-serving egos starting at the top. Unfortunately "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks."

"clinical department"

Current Employee - Clinical Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

Opportunity to travel on exchange program
    Caring colleagues
    Gym on site
    Clinical supervision offered

Cons

Inconsistent performance reviews
    Inconsistent salary reviews
    Challenge of working during very busy phone periods
    Challenge of knowing all that is needed in the job

Advice to Management

Ensure that all departments have consistent performance and salary reviews done on an annual basis.

"Solid, Growing Company -- Good Place to Be"

Current Employee - Service Delivery in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Service Delivery in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

The people are great, hardworking younger group for the most part. The basic premise of what we do is interesting as well ... helping people all over the world manage their problems to get through the day.

Cons

Schedules can be tight and the volume is heavy some days. But the flip side is that when you are done for the day, your are done. New technology systems have a few glitches, getting much better though.

Advice to Management

I think things are moving in the right direction.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Workplace Options full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice enough - everyone is in the same leaky boat in the same nasty storm here so there is a sense of camaraderie.

Cons

The micromanagement here is suffocating. (you will be asked to explain in writing why you used the bathroom more than twice and for more than 3 minutes each time on any given day).

The expectations for how many calls you are supposed to take while simultaneously searching for resources and writing up your results are practically impossible unless you cheat or make nice with a manager so that they give you the very easiest work. Only the managers' friends and magicians can meet productivity standards.

If you fall short, you will be asked to explain in writing why you didn't measure up and you will have to meet with supervisors to be berated and your job will be threatened.

If you exceed productivity standards and earn bonuses, they will "miscalculate" what you've earned so that you aren't actually paid what you're owed, and you will have to explain to quizzical supervisors how you managed to produce so much (they assume you are cheating if you are able to meet and exceed their ridiculously high expectations).

Don't expect managers to help. Most of them are incompetent and promoted out of favoritism and couldn't help you if they wanted to, which doesn't matter, because they don't want to help. They spend the day on YouTube and Facebook, and if you approach them with a question, you first have to wait for them to finish personal conversations and then you are in trouble for making your caller wait so long on hold while you got an answer for them.

This job caused me an insane amount of personal stress, and ironically, I had the worst work/life balance of my career while working for a company that literally SELLS work/life balance products and services.

Advice to Management

Promote based on competence, not because these people are your lovers or drinking buddies. Don't try to screw people out of their hard earned bonuses. Stop sabotaging everyone who questions your abusive policies. And please, please conduct training as if employees are intelligent adults. Reading a power point word for word to trainees is useless and a waste of everyone's time.