WorldStrides Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Hall

Pros
  • We get to work from home one day a month and we select our own flex time schedule for most of the year (in 17 reviews)

• Great people and fun place to work (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance can be challenging during peak times, but I'm certain that's the case in any cyclical business (in 10 reviews)

• Very long hours with very demanding tasks (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love what I do for students"

Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love what I do! This is a hard job but I get to change the lives of teachers and students!!! The support we get is awesome for selling and training. The senior guys who train us, Fred and Steve are super motivating and helpful.

Cons

The hardest part of this job is getting teachers on the phones. We hardly ever get any leads so it is all cold calling.

Advice to Management

Keep being motivating and supportive and get us some more leads!

Mar 13, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback

"Love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment with very nice and engaged employees that really love what they do. Casual environment that embodies work hard and play hard.

Cons

It gets really busy in the Spring to the point that you can't keep up. Summer is very relaxed and it helps to balance it all out. Systems need to be updated.

Advice to Management

Please keep investing in systems as it will make a difference. I am way past child bearing years but really appreciate the new maternity leave policy that gives 6 weeks of paid leave. Keep investing in employees.

Jun 19, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. The improvement in our systems will continue and we have many improvements on the way over the next 18 months.

"Changing lives"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Quincy, MA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has been a great experience working with teachers and kids to give them a once in a lifetime experience. Mission driven organization, good benefits, great people.

Cons

Main system I work from is horrible. Just old and not efficient. I know they are working on replacing it but is really slowing me down.

Advice to Management

More communication about the system updates. More communication in general would be helpful.

Jun 19, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Great idea about more communication about the system updates. We do talk about it in our quarterly communication meetings but we are due for a more ... More

"Support staff"

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and many nice things done for employees like sodas, happy hours, picnic and flex time.

Cons

Really busy during the spring and is sometimes an excuse for people to act rude or demand unreasonable things because they say it's for a customer.

Advice to Management

Get some of the departments in line and demand them to treat people with respect all the time.

"International Travel Specialist"

Current Employee - International Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - International Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best job I have ever had. The flexibility is amazing and the management really cares about the employees. We have constant support and coaching. We have the capabilities to earn a really good amount of money if we have the commitment and drive.

The best part about my job is what I do everyday. I get to help thousands of teachers and students immerse themselves in different cultures and travel the world. I am so excited and thrilled to be apart of this company.

Cons

There are always things in a company that can be improved. I would only say that the systems should be updated regularly.

"Nice Start"

Current Employee - Sales in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice people. Casual work environment. Never worked at a place where you can wear shorts to work. Just had a really nice picnic and they seem to really try and take care of the employees overall.

Cons

Nothing much so far. My manager is available and answers my questions. Only been with the company a few weeks but like what I am seeing so far.

Advice to Management

All seems pretty good so far. Nice building and plenty of small little things that make a difference.

"Overall a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Support Representative in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Support Representative in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really love my job! Friendly environment, flex time in the summer and late fall, generous PTO and good benefits. HR makes great efforts to create a good work environment and I am thankful!

Cons

I have worked here for 10+ years. This year attempting to cut costs seems to have severely impacted customer service and my ability to feel good about what we do. Definitely not being paid for the amount of work and hours put in this year. Overtime was needed but difficult to get approved. I take great pride in my work and there were not enough hours in the day for even the most efficient and organized folks. Lots of IT issues although we have been told good things are coming. Many systems and processes are outdated and need improvements.

Advice to Management

Although acquisitions and developing new products are good, consider investing time and resources in what we currently have. I feel like we've grown so fast things are not getting the attention they deserve and it's definitely reflecting through customer reviews on social media. Encourage process improvement teams.

Jun 19, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thanks for your feedback and your 10+ years of service. You are spot on when you talk about the systems and processes. We are in a spot where we need new systems in order to meaningfully improve ... More

"More growth means more opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was an independent student in college therefore I didn’t have the ability to travel the world. Many years later, I have established a career at WorldStrides, a global student travel company, where we assist students every single day to make this happen. This company has not only provided me the knowledge, skills, and experience to grow in my career but it changes students’ lives every day – and I am a piece to that puzzle.

I have watched WorldStrides grow tremendously. The company has nearly doubled in size the past two years yet one thing has remained the same – the employees come first. WorldStrides continues to operate as a smaller company – providing socials, unlimited sodas, coffee, generous PTO (over 3 weeks in your first year!), paid company holidays, summer and winter flex schedules, gym and Weight Watchers discounts and the list goes on. You want to continue your education? We offer Tuition Reimbursement too. Think you’ll want children during your career? Well we just improved our maternity and paternity leave policy.

If you want to work for a company that stands by its mission and vision and truly invests in their employees, WorldStrides is THE Company to join. Our continued growth only provides more opportunities!

Cons

WorldStrides business mirrors a school year (of course). Peak seasons are in the spring and fall so it should be expected to work hard during this time. However we also have flexible work schedules in the summer and winter.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and we'll continue to invest in you. Formal training plans and additional career development opportunities will go far. You've done an amazing job despite the growth pains.

Jun 7, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thank you for the feedback. We are very focused on making WorldStrides an even better place to work.

"Employee Investment"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After working at WorldStrides for five years, I can say that I've seen a lot of growth and investment in the employees over this time. The company culture is great, though it can vary by department/division. There is opportunity for education reimbursement (for college-level courses or professional development), a subsidized gym membership, company picnics and socials, employee travel, newly enacted maternity/paternity leave, and a solid starting number of PTO days. Employee contentment is important, and the executive leadership team is open to making positive changes in the workplace.

In addition, the mission and work done by the company is incredible. We get to transform students' (and teachers') lives by helping them to become global citizens. If that isn't a "feel-good" type of job, I don't know what is! The work is challenging (especially during the busy travel seasons), but it's extremely rewarding.

Cons

There has been an increased number of opportunities for growth as the company has made acquisitions and grown, but the career path can be limited in certain divisions. The work-life balance can be challenging during peak times, but I'm certain that's the case in any cyclical business.

Advice to Management

Continue to make these positive changes and investments in the employees! Would be excellent to promote more employee professional development and internal training across the company.

Jun 7, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and so happy to hear that you enjoy the work you are doing.

"A Company That Offers More Than Just A Paycheck!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A corporate mission that goes beyond the typical...knowing that you are playing a part in changing and enriching lives.
    Working with colleagues who are as invested in your success as they are in their own. I'm talking about hard working, committed, and enthusiastic people that you can call your friends.
    Comprehensive benefits are standard here, but we also have access to gym memberships, wellness programs, and travel discounts. Not to mention the parties, celebrations and social events.
    At the end of the day, anyone who comes to work at WorldStrides should be prepared to work hard. It takes a lot of combined effort to enrich over 400K lives each year! But if you are prepared to invest your energy here then you will be rewarded and you can expect a long and happy career.

Cons

Inflexible flex time. Give staff access to more flexible work schedules year round and those super stressful peak seasons won't impact morale as much.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the improvement of the culture and environment and overall workplace experience.

Jun 7, 2017 – SVP of HR

Thanks you for the feedback and we will certainly continue to try to make it a great place to work.