WorldStrides Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 5, 2019

3.4
Bob Gogel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Heath Benefits , work from home" (in 17 reviews)

• "Everyone is so friendly, there is a great work/life balance - 17 days in your first year alone" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work-life balance can be challenging during peak times, but I'm certain that's the case in any cyclical business" (in 13 reviews)

• "long hours, stressful during busy season" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and company really seems to care about doing things right. Coworkers are friendly. Love the location and the office.

Cons

Nothing major. Gets really busy in the Spring but summers are very relaxed

Feb 4, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

"Not an accurate job description"

Former Employee - Educational Travel Specialist
    Former Employee - Educational Travel Specialist

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Heath Benefits , work from home

Cons

Salary, hours, job expectation

Advice to Management

Sales territory’s are spread too thin for new employees to realistically achieve the lofty sales goals put in place. Employees are under compensated for the hours they are expected to work. You’re told no overtime, but on the other hand expected to work 6 days a week for 6 months. Vacation time is also good, but you’re only able to take time off in July or December even with advanced notice. Salary is 42k, but 12k has to be bought back which is almost impossible in the first 3 years leaving employees in the whole and responsible for buying back their previous years before they can commission. Also for being a travel company their are little benefits or opportunities to actually travel frequently.

Feb 4, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for the feedback. We are very upfront about the hours of this role and compensate sales employees for any time over 40 hours in a week. This is a sales role and it is tough - but there are... More

"Educational Travel Specialists"

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

Lots of perks. Work remotely 3-4 days a week, great colleagues, great boss, great company, great product, great professional development.

Cons

Salary is low and health insurance could be better.

Advice to Management

We need to provide more financial aid to students. And employees should get to take a trip every other year.

Jan 11, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for the feedback and happy to see that you enjoy working for WorldStrides!

"We have seen better days"

Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel opportunities, good products, business casual (although some people take advantage) atmosphere. Can be a fun place to work. Very solid benefits and company perks. New CEO seems to be focused on growth and cohesiveness and that is a positive. As a whole, WorldStrides is a good company and the future looks bright. But there is definitely room for improvement in Richmond.

Cons

New comp plan pays out regularly but is not as generous. Depending on whats important to you, this could be a pro.

I think the atmosphere in the Richmond office needs to be addressed immediately. Us versus them mentality that creates hostility among teams. Since the acquisition of Explorica its not uncommon to hear "Worldstrides sucks" "why would you ever pay more to travel with Worldstrides." There needs to be more cohesiveness and understanding that we are Worldstrides--not Explorica.

Favoritism abound. To a degree, it is normal for there to be office pets, but it can be a little ridiculous these days. The big problem with this is that there is NO consistency. The rules change daily depending on which clique you are in. Lead rules change, territory rules change, contact rules change . This breeds resentment, undermines cohesiveness, and detracts from the overall goals of the office. When you have an office that spends its time complaining, and wondering how to do their job today because they don't know the rules, you lack productivity. I believe theres a reason we never see the top producers in this office...they have earned the right to avoid this environment. But for those of us that are still trying to earn the right to work from home, we have to work around that. If you are benefiting from the favoritism of changing rules, then it could be a pro.

There seems to be a lack of professionalism in the office with cursing, prayer groups in the office, gym clothing worn throughout the day, cliques, there even seems to be a problem of marijuana usage at lunch or maybe some are just burning nasty incense regularly?? Maybe that's why we have prayer groups in the middle of the work day, cause the office smells like Satan's been puffing the magic dragon and God fearing people want to save themselves? Who am I to judge, I am all about everyone living their lives, but in the middle of the work day...I thought we were professionals?

The office feels like a middle school, grab some snacks and just sit back and watch the drama unfold. You don't need a television set if you work here. The problem is when its hostile and you dont feel safe expressing yourself cause you happen to be on the" wrong" team and you fear punitive retribution. Those who wield power should not practice draconian methods because someone disagrees with you. This should, can, and needs to change. Leaders earn respect by adapting, growing, and relating. Fear is NOT a motivator. Manipulation and disunity is not productive. Just because we cannot make everyone happy does not mean we need to make the remainder miserable.

Advice to Management

More executive or HR presence in Richmond. How about surprise and unplanned visits? Maybe that will keep the childish antics in check and we can go back to being a place of business. Remind people who signs their paychecks. I think it would be great if our new CEO stopped in as well. Given the current circumstances, I would not recommend Richmond to any new applicants. I am hopeful that upper management will take this seriously and work to address these concerns,

Feb 4, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for the feedback. We have implemented a plan to improve the situation in Richmond and are optimistic that we will see improvement in the future.

"Decent"

I worked at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

Lots of travel opportunities, flexible

Cons

Office politics. Poor training process in the past.

Thanks for the feedback.

"Great benefits, not competitive pay"

I worked at WorldStrides full-time

Pros

Great benefits including awesome pretaxed gym and phone discounts.

Cons

No growth and pay is not completely competitive for Charlottesville.

Jan 11, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for the feedback and glad you think highly of the company. We continually look at the market to make sure we are paying competitive wages. We also provide performance based pay increases and... More

"Not a Good Sales Culture"

Current Employee - ETS in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - ETS in Spokane, WA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice company history and story, strong marketing and HR, does well with operations.

Cons

The compensation plan creates deficits that take a long time to retire (years). Ask for past performance numbers of the newer people and put them into the comp plan, you will see that you will very likely owe the company money! Management is trained to look for you doing something wrong, but ignores the good stuff. We get pushed to do illegal stuff like record phone calls without telling the teacher. Inter-company conflict, and lack of rules has divisions stealing sales from each other, creating a terrible sales culture. Worldstrides recently settled a large wrongful wage claim in California, and it is likely to spread around the country. The working from home sounds great, but trust me, it is very hard to make money, and things are not like they appear from the outside.

Advice to Management

Would you really want to be treated the way you treat us? Or have your kids treated that way?

Jan 28, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for your feedback but a number of the things you reference are not accurate. I am sorry you did not enjoy your 8+ years at the company. WorldStrides has been in business for over 50 years and... More

"Educational Travel Specialist"

Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Educational Travel Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base pay
    Good performance incentives
    Great company that genuinely cares about its mission and employees

Cons

Working in a call center - if you're not okay with being on the phone nonstop, this is not the role for you

Nov 28, 2018 – SVP of HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience with the company.

9. "International Travel Specialist"

I have been working at WorldStrides full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, management is suportive

Cons

Since the merger with another company there is a transition period. Atmosphere has changed along with management and its unsettling.

Advice to Management

Be supportive and fair

Jan 11, 2019 – SVP of HR

Thanks for your feedback. We are aware that there have been some challenges with two different sales teams working together and are addressing with management to improve the situation.

"Interesting mission but avoid technology and other troubled departments"

I worked at WorldStrides full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool mission. Company changes lives through travel. Fun subject matter.
    Has gone through leadership transition over the last few years. Most for the better.

Cons

Some leadership misses mark. Technology department has management that doesn't care about people at all. A closer comparison on how it's run is a retail store or gas station not a professional environment. You can find much better organizations if you have the skills.
    Company is learning it's way very immature. A lot of growing pains before becoming a functional average organization.

Advice to Management

New CEO has work cut out for them. Continue to strive to be a better managed organization. Improve skill sets without burning out staff with old processes.
    Do a better job of taking care of people. The good ones leave when they can or have better opportunities.
    Poor jobs of keeping good talent along with improving competencies of those in the organization.

Nov 28, 2018 – SVP of HR

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy some aspects of the organization. The IT group in particular has worked very hard to make improvements and they are trending towards... More