2K Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 2K (Novato, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

A phone screen, an online test, an on-site interview.
    2K is very generous and offer the hotels and flight for me, I stay there for two nights, and the interview last 6 h maybe.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to be one of us?
      Why do you want to leave your current position?

Engineering test includes four problems:
      1. Bunny adding/deleting/traversing Interface
      a.Cyclic linked list
      b.Static array
      c.forget it
      2.Two memory and one register then realize certain instruction.
      3. Fix bugs in a shuffle function.
      4.How to sort four inputs using just compare function module.
      Answer Question

Senior Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 2K (Novato, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Four phone interviews followed by an all-day on-site with the 2K communications team.

Very accessible and informative interviews with the entire team. Everyone I talked to was very smart, personable, and asked questions based on a behavioral interview style. It's important that you know and are passionate about gaming.

I wasn't offered the job because of a basic qualification that should have (in my opinion) been vetted in the first or second phone interview. Spent a lot of time and effort preparing for interviews, so it was a pretty big time suck that could've been prevented pretty early on.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 2K in November 2016.

Interview

The phone screen with the recruiter at the Novato, CA location went smoothly. A few days later I had an interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was unprofessional and demeaning in tone.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between PR and Community management?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 2K (Novato, CA).

Interview

This review is for Visual Concepts, the 2K studio that works on NBA 2K.
    The communication with the recruiter went well, she was very nice and helpful.
    On the interview day, the Art Directors didn't seem to be ready to interview me, 3 of them who introduced themselves as art directors were all looking down at my resume. Awkward silent moment to start.
    Everyone is busy, but if you are scheduling time and expect candidates to be prepared, don't you think the interviewers should be prepared too? An interview is a 2-way interview, you also need to convince the candidates to want to work with you. This was not the case at all. I had to show my work but none of the work was presented to me.
    I am thankful I got to have the interview and meet the directors.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you did at this and that job.   1 Answer

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at 2K (Novato, CA).

Interview

Process took 5 weeks. 1 week after applying for a phone interview, 1 week after for an in-person interview, and lastly 3 weeks to get a response. I thought I did well during the interview actually. I thought I meshed well with the team, and I really liked the environment. I guess they thought otherwise. That's ok, on to the next one.

Interview Questions

• The in-person interview asked me about my customer service skills, administrative skills, video game knowledge, and me as a person.   Answer Question

Contract UI Artist to Senior UI Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 2K (Novato, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter and went through interviewing process that spanned over 2 months. Interviewed with recruiter, art director, and UI art lead over the phone for a contract position. All went fine. The position changes through the interview process to full time.

Show up for onsite interview and first person wasn't in the office that day. Next had a longer interview with UI lead and engineer that ended up in small talk due to no more real questions regarding the position. Lastly spent time with art director and got the gist of what duties would be. Figure that things went well, look forward to hearing back from them.

Week later contact HR recruiter since no word was given and was told that the duties of the position changed from something art heavy to a more technical need.

Interview Questions

• "What would you prefer doing? More icon work or the more technical stuff?"   1 Answer

Software Engineer QA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 2K in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got online assessment covering fundamental programming in C++, data structure, graphic fundamental, then finally got two phone interviews with the HR and the software manager. The hiring manager, she just asked the behavioral questions and told the software engineering manager would be in touch in a week. Then, got another call after a week or so with the software manager asking about basic experience, skills and QA related questions.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 2K (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Contacted by 3rd party recruiter. A day later (these guys move fast, recruiter says) got email from 2K Executive VP to set up a call. The phone call was set up within a day.

The VP was 15 minutes late to call for the pre-arranged phone screen appointment.

After briefly exchanging pleasantries and intros, and each spending a couple minutes about "tell me what you do", the VP clearly expressed disinterest and we mutually ended the call.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific, just the usual "tell me about yourself".   Answer Question

Dev QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at 2K (Novato, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

12+ years games QA veteran. Applied for a position at Hangar 13.

First was an easy phone conversation with the recruiter. Then went in and interviewed with 3 pairs of people (2 Designers, producer+engineer, QA Manager + Tools tester). The questions were mostly about figuring out my professional philosophies, answering problem solving hypotheticals and inter-personal issue resolution. I felt the interviews went well.

Hearing back from them took a few days longer than they projected and I was eventually turned down for the job because I was "overqualified" and there was concern that I would become bored and unhappy in a non-leadership position. Which I feel was a subjective reason.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle prioritizing multiple tasks if you do not have the time to accomplish them all.   1 Answer

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 2K (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an interview for the job after applying on their website.
     I have been working in the industry for several years and I have to say the interview process from to start to finish was very unprofessional.

My first phone interview was scheduled and confirmed with HR for a Friday at 10 in the morning as it was the most convenient time for them. Turns out the day and time came but the phone call didn't. I sent an email to my contact and only got an answer a few days later via email stating how sorry the person was and rescheduled for another day.
    When the HR called, it went well with basic questions about experience and salary. A couple days later I hear back and gets scheduled for a 2nd interview with a couple producers (still over the phone). This was the most ridiculous conversation I have had in a professional environment. They started by saying that they didn't know what to ask because they had been in interviews for the past hours and were too tired to think. Way to open an interview conversation. It ended up lasting only 5 minutes because has they said, they were too tired to think of questions to ask.

Hands down the worse interview I had or heard off.

About a week later I received an email stating that someone else was a better fit. In all honesty, have I had the job, there was no way I was accepting that offer. The culture seems a bit tainted to me.