888 Spectate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

888 Spectate Interview Questions

Interviews at 888 Spectate

2.8

Applications Support Engineer Level II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Bray (Ireland)

Application

I interviewed at 888 Spectate (Little Bray (Ireland)) in January 2020.

Interview

First a call from Hr asking about none about you, and if you read about the job and questions about SQL queries
    . Quick interview and the person was sound in a rush . It was hard to understand her accent.

Mobile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate.

Interview

It starts with a first call where they explain the position and review your background. Then, it follows with 2 assignment where you have to implement simple algorithms, the same kind you can find on Code Wars (5-6 kyu, si very simple). After completing them, they send an additional one a week after.

Finally, you set a final interview. In my case, they moved it forward and still, no problem for me, I gave them 100% availability. They day before the interview, I got an email saying they’ve found another candidate.

I don’t understand, when someone is at the final stage, it’s you and a couple more developers. Th company is expected to see every and each of them. I found this experience very unprofessional and disrespectful and sure I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Assignments, kind of the ones you found on Code Wars (level 5-6 kyu)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at 888 Spectate.

Interview

Worst interview experience I’ve ever had. First round phone screen. Then they gave me some coding exercises. After I completed that, I was invited to an onsite interview to discuss the program I submitted. The way they asked questions was like treating a criminal. I felt deeply uncomfortable and upset being questioned like that. I was literally crying after the interview and immediately decided I would never work there no matter what.

Senior Python Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied in early March.

This was acknowledged five days later. I spoke with another senior developer on the same day, so that was fairly expedient.

Seven days later, I was asked to complete a technical test in three days.

I completed the test with plenty of time to spare.

12 days later, I was asked by HR if I would like to proceed with my application. I responded affirmatively, indicating that I had completed and submitted the technical test ages prior.

I was told that the person with whom I had been speaking was on leave and was asked to forward the technical test on to HR. However, there was no test to forward as the whole thing had been done on some testing site that I had registered for. The implication was that nobody else had access to it, or had managed to look at it within those 12 days.

I withdrew my application; I don't like having my time wasted.

Interview Questions

• Being asked to re-submit the technical test that I had done nearly two weeks prior was a tough one.   1 Answer

Python Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at 888 Spectate in February 2019.

Interview

A recruiter approached me on Linkedin and set up a call with BetBright team. There recruiter sent me some information about the company through email one day before the call. There were 3 people on the other side of the line and basically the technical day asked Python concepts right away.

Interview Questions

• How to I declare anonymous function?
      What's the difference between list and tuples?
      what can be a key in a dictionary?   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sandyford (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate (Sandyford (Ireland)) in October 2018.

Interview

Excellent interview process from start to finish. Phone interviews were on time and well thought out. The face to face interview was organised soon after that and everyone was very welcoming. There were 3 separate interviews, two of 1 hour's duration and another 30 minutes. I was taken on a tour of the building to break the time up. All in all it was a pretty positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Give examples of how I've removed impediments previously.   Answer Question

Junior Trader and Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sandyford (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate (Sandyford (Ireland)) in May 2018.

Interview

Interview process started with a phone interview, followed by two face to face interviews.
    I was in the middle of exams when I had the phone interview and they scheduled a face to face as soon as I was finished on a Wednesday. I received an email on Thursday for another face to face interview on Friday morning and got a call Friday evening saying I got the job.

Interview Questions

• A lot of risk related questions.   1 Answer

Jun 21, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to read about your interview experience.

If you have any suggestions for improvement, please feel free to email hr@betbright.com.

Senior Frontnd Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dalian, Liaoning (China)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate (Dalian, Liaoning (China)) in March 2018.

Interview

I interviewed remotely in March 2018, there are 4 turns interviews totally:
    1. Cultrue fit and working experience
    2. Coding test on algorithm
    3. Another coding test on web application
    4. Technical inteview (About 2 hours)

Interviewers are all very friendly and professional. They gave me enough time and space to express myself thoughts.

Interview Questions

888 Spectate Response

Jun 11, 2018 – HR Manager

Python Developer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate.

Interview

I interviewed with Betbright a while ago and thought the interview format/process was absolutely terrible.

The first stage is an online python test. This consisted, mainly, of very esoteric python questions which mainly seemed to be aimed at tripping people up, rather than assessing their working knowledge of the Python programming language on a day-to-day basis.

Questions like, what is the difference between __getattr__ and __getattribute__, when the question didn't even reference what style classes you are using, in this case, unless you are regularly overloading class magic methods you would be forgiven for forgetting which one does which (I had actually googled this a couple of months ago before this interview as I needed it for something, and had simply forgotten, given how rarely I need this kind of information).

I still managed to pass this test, the next one was a phone interview, which, again consisted of quick fire python questions which lasted ~20 minutes. No chance for me to ask about the role, or, if, the role would suit me at all.

The next stage was a take home test. One of the tasks was to implement a LRU cache.

I submitted, what I thought, was a decent solution, complete with unit-tests and documentation.

However, this is where I failed and was told they would not be pursuing with my application. The feedback I received highlighted the following two issues with my code.

1. Print statements in my solution. I had sent a summary of my solution outlying that, while I would never leave print statements in comitted code, I had left 2 print statements in my code to show the LRU cache working, so that in the integration test that I had provided they could see the cache doing what it is supposed to, as, it is difficult to genuinely see the cahce working without this. This was purely to help the reviewer see if my code was working properly, and, obviously, the reviewer hadn't even read the summary as he/she would have understood why I left them in there, I obviously, could have implemented a proper logging system, but is this really necessary for a take home test??? So basically, if the developer had read my summary, I feel that pointing out using a print statement was harsh as it was purely to help the reviewer and I had explained why I had done it. If the developer hadn't read my summary, it's even more harsh as I had put ~3hrs into this test the least the reviewer could have done was read my summary.

2. I had used a try: except KeyError: statement in my code for control flow. The feedback for this is that you should never use a try/except clause to control flow in Python. The reviewer of my code may not be an experienced Python developer as, per the Python docs, this is a recommended way of controling flow in Python and follows the EAFP ("it's Easier to Ask for Forgiveness than Permission") vs the LBYL ("Look Before You Leap") paradigm. In general, it really depends on the use case for using if key in dict vs try: except KeyError:. But for a take home test, which is always going to be a bit conrtrived anyway, I felt this again was very harsh and even goes against recommended design patterns in Python.

Overall, I felt, I had to comit a lot of time to the process and never got a chance to ask about the role to see if I would even have wanted to work there. The python developer who looked at my code must have been either lazy and/or inexpereiced for me to receive the feedback I did.

I think it's just as well, as having heard about the technologies they use, it sounds like they are stuck in the past, still using Py2.7 and old technologies.

Interview Questions

888 Spectate Response

Feb 20, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us, it is very much appreciated. We apologise for the negative experience you had in going through our recruitment process. We will take your feedback on board and endeavour to improve our process to ensure a more positive experience in future.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 888 Spectate.

Interview

Initial multiple choice questionnaire followed by a take home test. Once the test was submitted I was called for an in person interview where they went through my take home assessment.

The interview process for Betbright was one of the more negative ones I have had. The communication was poor all the way along. I had to do two technical assessment before speaking with somebody in the company. The process involves two rounds of in person interviews which in my experience is one more than a lot of companies. Betbright were not very flexible with timing of this interview.

The interviewers were unenthusiastic and seemed unprepared. Overall it felt like a waste of my time. I did not get through to the last round, though if I did I would have not accepted the offer to go through to another interview.

Interview Questions

888 Spectate Response

Feb 13, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you very much for your feedback- we appreciate your feedback and are disappointed to learn about your interview experience. We would welcome the opportunity to learn about your experience in more detail. Please contact us directly and confidentially at hr@betbright.com.