Allston Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Allston Trading Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Ithaca, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

No Resume, and directly put interview question. Mainly Java. First come to me to introduce the company, then just ask some basic question in Java like STL, String, Hash table. Then ask Deadlock for me. Finally, ask me to ask him some question. The total process of interview is 45min.

Interview Questions

• Q:What is hash table
      Q:Why the string immutable in Java
      Answer Question

C++ Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Standard HR Interview followed by technical rounds. The HR department was very accommodating in working out the timings for the successive rounds, super responsive, and extremely quick feedback. Technical rounds involved talking to multiple developers and CTO. They asked relevant and reasonable questions focused on ensuring the person would be able to handle job responsibilities. This included testing the candidates in-depth knowledge about the language, ability to code, solve problems and a general exploration of the breadth of candidate's knowledge and experience. The process involved a discussion with the CTO who is very helpful in answering any questions or concerns.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Allston Trading.

Interview

Ran into them at a career fair, handed them my resume, and received a phone interview about a week later. The phone interview was focused on general knowledge about Java, class design, concurrency, networking, and algorithms (There were a total of 12 questions). I was shaky on a few of the subjects at the time of the interview, so I didn't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why are Strings immutable in Java, and what might some advantages/disadvantages of this be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair and a couple weeks later I got a phone interview. All of the questions from the phone interview were pretty straight forward and mostly just conceptual questions. A week later, I was invited for an on-site interview. The on-site interview was fun (though there were 5 interviews, each an hour long.) At the end of the day, they took us to a pretty good steakhouse. It looks like they really know how to treat their employees.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer and I worked together to see how we could better implement Object's toString, equals, and hashCode function.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Allston Trading in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted the resume through campus career fair, got response for a phone call interview within one week. Some OOPS questions,some algorithm and data structure questions, and few OS questions. For example, why do you need immutable class, how do you implement hash table, deadlocks and how to resolve the deadlock

Interview Questions

• Some trivial OOPS questions that I didn't prepare well   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

2 rounds interviews

1) with developers. Basic Java questions, linked list, array, search and sorting algos

2) With traders, mainly about past experience and understanding about financial markets

Both interviews were phone interviews. 2 interviews finished in one day. Each round was about 45 minutes. The interviews were pretty straight forward, they had my resume, so we skipped the "introduce yourself" part. I had exactly skills they were looking for. No brain teasers either, all the interviews questions were related to their daily business. They were looking for someone who could add value to the team right away.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Chicago, IL) in August 2013.

Interview

phone interview

Interview Questions

• Algorithm to test the existence of an element in a matrix that is sorted by rows and columns   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Chicago, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

Typical tech interview like many other the kind. Phone screen then on-site. Met a few tech leaders. Talks and talks. Questions were reasonable. People seemed nice during the talks. Very casual conversations and relaxed. Don't remember much details on what kind of questions asked!

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I initially contacted Allston to gauge whether there was a potential match (in terms of what I could offer them and what they could offer me). The process began with in-person interviews with various subgroups within a particular asset class. I was fortunate enough to meet with several members of the team and speak to the majority of the them. What resonated with me right away was how cordial everyone was and how everyone that I spoke to appeared very happy with where they were. It was apparent that Allston treated their employees well and employed some highly intelligent and ambitious individuals. The firm's core values are in line with what successful companies are built on and appear to be headed in the right direction.

Interview Questions

• Some interviews consisted of brainteaser-type questions.   Answer Question

A rare opportunity within a different field that I was also interested in materialized during the process. Under normal circumstance, I would have had no hesitation accepting Allston's offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Allston Trading (Chicago, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

Referred by an acquaintance, and flew to Chicago after an initial phone screen. The on-site interview consisted of various technical questions and some behavior discussions.

Everyone that I spoke to was intelligent and friendly. The technical questions are pretty standard. The non-technical discussions were more interesting. My interviewers stayed honest and open, which lead to very fruitful discussions about career, work, and life in general.

Interview Questions

Ultimately decided to stay in the tech industry.