Altia Central Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Altia Central

2.1

Sort:

ALT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

Took several months to go through, and even then nothing concrete in terms of information. The interviews themselves are very easy. They're looking for fun people who can survive in Japan.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle a kid in your classroom being disruptive while the teacher is conducting a lesson?   1 Answer

ALT Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

I had 2 separate interviews which is unusual but both were sit-down interviews discussing my views on teaching children and the best ways about it and biggest problems I typically face in the Japanese school system.
    The first interview was to assess my knowledge and experience of teaching in Japanese schools, my love of the culture and country, and whether I would be the type to stick around or if I was one of the ones who thought I was in Japan on vacation. It was a fairly simple interview but I had good credentials so it felt like more of a casual chit-chat in formal dress and situation.
    The second interview was to assess whether or not I was the type of person who could handle the stress of the particular problem school they were throwing me at. This was a bit more unusual as most schools aren't a problem but this one had some rougher students and disciplinary problems you weren't expected to deal with but rather work around. It was a lot of worrying over nothing though and the school was fine but since there were a few troubled kids I understood that there were maybe some teachers who might not handle it as well. (Basically, it was an "are you really okay with a rough inner-city school job" but Japan's "rough" schools aren't even close to being scary. The kids were sweet, I even made friends with the scary students. It's all about temperament.)

Interview Questions

• How would you introduce yourself to the class?   1 Answer
    • What do you think about English learning in Japan? What are some problems?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a student suddenly entered the classroom who wasn't a part of the class?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

It was actually a great experience. Met in the hotel lobby with the hiring manager, a great guy who is extremely friendly and now a good friend of mine. He asked me questions about how I would teach, what I would do and how I would react in crisis situations, etc. He then described the job in detail to me, both pros and cons, and the various benefits that come with the job and what would be expected of me. The whole interview lasted somewhere between 1-2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if there was an unruly student in the classroom?   1 Answer

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

Fairly easy interview. It was about 1 hour long and the interviewer was very nice. It was a very relaxed interview and half of it was asking the interviewer questions. The interviewer seemed pleased with my lesson plan and overall interview and said that HR will contact me within a couple of days. Well they never contacted me, so I guessed it didn't work out for me.

ALT - Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Altia Central in October 2017.

Interview

I was one of the "promising" overseas applicants looking to get my foot in the door. Made it to the final round of interviews ( 3 ) before being rudely told there might not be enough spaces for me. Which I would've rather they said outright (and not waste 2+ months of my time) than nitpicking (would rather you had more x, or not enough y) to explain their reasoning. They were extremely hot and cold about wanting to offer me the position. Still for the travel expenses (not reimbursed) and time, it's not worth it.

Interview Questions

• If some students in your class are acting up, how would you redirect their attention back to the lesson?   1 Answer
    • If you don't get along with one of your teachers, how would you react to that?   1 Answer

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

1st interview was very nice and relaxed! I met the interviewer in Chicago at a small cafe. She was very friendly and kind!
    The second interview via Skype was really interesting! It was a little more in depth, where he asked me more personal questions like why I like japan, etc. it was nice! At the end I spoke in Japanese to another interviewer and he was very nice as well!

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altia Central (Tokyo (Japan)) in March 2015.

Interview

They asked me to have a 1-1 interview. It was really straight forward. They ask questions to analyze if your personality matches with the company and as a teacher. The interviewer was very friendly. They even made joke. I do warn you that you should know what the president of the company looks like. She might be at the interview. I think it'll be a shoe-in if you know.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weakness? Why do you want to be a teacher? Why are you in Japan?
      The interview questions are easy. Just read up what the company ask for as a teacher and build your answers around that image. They were friendly to me and smiled a lot.   Answer Question

ALT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

A CV sent via emailed, followed by the recruiting manager replying fairly quickly. An interview was scheduled domestically quickly, but no travel expenses (20,000+) were provided for it. There was a lot of time that passed between that and finally being offered the job, followed by another large blank of communication when I was suddenly told that there's training on the go.

Interview Questions

• Is it OK to study Japanese in school during free time?   1 Answer

ALT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

Interview

They interview you about your experience, ask you to prepare a demo lesson, interview you briefly in Japanese to test your spoken level. The hiring manager is the nicest guy, very laid back and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Take it or leave it.

ALT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altia Central (Tokyo (Japan)) in February 2018.

Interview

It was really easy. I had a great time talking to the interviewer. Graham is unexpectedly cool and funny. I nailed the Japanese interview as well. I was positive that I’ll get the job until I made a follow up through email. They replied that I passed but I only got a 50% or less chance because I don’t have a driver’s license. I was like, then why are you interviewing people that don’t drive in Japan? Man, I traveled 10 hours to get to the location and booked a hotel. I should have stayed with Interac where I spent nothing since I was interviewed only thru skype.