Altia Central Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 9, 2017

1.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Altia Central

ALT - Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Altia Central in October 2017.

Interview

I was one of the "promising" overseas applicants looking to get my foot in the door. Made it to the final round of interviews ( 3 ) before being rudely told there might not be enough spaces for me. Which I would've rather they said outright (and not waste 2+ months of my time) than nitpicking (would rather you had more x, or not enough y) to explain their reasoning. They were extremely hot and cold about wanting to offer me the position. Still for the travel expenses (not reimbursed) and time, it's not worth it.

Interview Questions

• If some students in your class are acting up, how would you redirect their attention back to the lesson?   1 Answer
    • If you don't get along with one of your teachers, how would you react to that?   1 Answer

ALT Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

I had 2 separate interviews which is unusual but both were sit-down interviews discussing my views on teaching children and the best ways about it and biggest problems I typically face in the Japanese school system.
    The first interview was to assess my knowledge and experience of teaching in Japanese schools, my love of the culture and country, and whether I would be the type to stick around or if I was one of the ones who thought I was in Japan on vacation. It was a fairly simple interview but I had good credentials so it felt like more of a casual chit-chat in formal dress and situation.
    The second interview was to assess whether or not I was the type of person who could handle the stress of the particular problem school they were throwing me at. This was a bit more unusual as most schools aren't a problem but this one had some rougher students and disciplinary problems you weren't expected to deal with but rather work around. It was a lot of worrying over nothing though and the school was fine but since there were a few troubled kids I understood that there were maybe some teachers who might not handle it as well. (Basically, it was an "are you really okay with a rough inner-city school job" but Japan's "rough" schools aren't even close to being scary. The kids were sweet, I even made friends with the scary students. It's all about temperament.)

Interview Questions

• How would you introduce yourself to the class?   1 Answer
    • What do you think about English learning in Japan? What are some problems?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a student suddenly entered the classroom who wasn't a part of the class?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

It was actually a great experience. Met in the hotel lobby with the hiring manager, a great guy who is extremely friendly and now a good friend of mine. He asked me questions about how I would teach, what I would do and how I would react in crisis situations, etc. He then described the job in detail to me, both pros and cons, and the various benefits that come with the job and what would be expected of me. The whole interview lasted somewhere between 1-2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if there was an unruly student in the classroom?   1 Answer

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

Fairly easy interview. It was about 1 hour long and the interviewer was very nice. It was a very relaxed interview and half of it was asking the interviewer questions. The interviewer seemed pleased with my lesson plan and overall interview and said that HR will contact me within a couple of days. Well they never contacted me, so I guessed it didn't work out for me.

ALT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

Took several months to go through, and even then nothing concrete in terms of information. The interviews themselves are very easy. They're looking for fun people who can survive in Japan.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle a kid in your classroom being disruptive while the teacher is conducting a lesson?   1 Answer

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altia Central (Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)) in December 2016.

Interview

I sat down with the Recruiting Manager for about 2 hours. It really felt a lot more like an informal chat that the company website says it is. I was asking the usual questions of why I wanted to go to Japan to teach, went over my teaching experiences with him, as well as my location preferences etc. My answers were interspersed with him sharing some anecdotes and experiences he's had over the years. He really put me at ease though his tone was a little too straightforward at times, but I really appreciated it on retrospect. He didn't let me skirt around convenient answers and came across as a professional who was really good at what he did.

In the last half, I spoke to one of his Japanese colleagues for about 10 minutes in Japanese to test my language abilities as well as completed a little ranking of what I thought were important skills/traits for the job. Then I demonstrated the lesson I had planned.

All in all, it wasn't as hard as other interviews I'd done. The atmosphere was a lot more casual and relaxed and I came out of it feeling like I'd be really cared for by the company (unlike with other Eikaiwa/ALT dispatch companies in the business).

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altia Central (Tokyo (Japan)) in December 2015.

Interview

After submitting my resumé and cover letter for review, I got a fairly quick reply from the recruiting manager. I personally had scheduling conflicts and even though my hometown is in Los Angeles, we ended up meeting in Tokyo to follow up with my overseas application. The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel really comfortable before we started the actual interview part. It ended up being a 90 minute interview. The interviewers first asked me questions about myself, my expectations for the job, and personal thoughts about this kind of position. They asked a lot of hypothetical questions too, which did throw me, but they always explained why they asked the question and ensured me that there were no wrong or right answers. After an hour, they asked me to act out an introduction to a lesson and explain the sample lesson plan that I prepared for the interview. Overall, I was impressed by how the interviewers seemed genuinely interested in me and wanted to be as honest as possible about the realities of being an ALT in Japan. One of the best interviews I've had, because the interviewers were so awesome, but I guess that depends on who you get.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you can make a difference in the lives of students?   Answer Question

Assistant Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hiroshima, Hiroshima (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altia Central (Hiroshima, Hiroshima (Japan)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very casual, and much like other ALT dispatch interviews, few questions were about teaching in and of itself. The whole process came across more like an informal chat. However, I spent a considerable amount of money to get to the interview location, and had to take an entire weekend out of my schedule to get there (as the interview was 11 in the morning on a Sunday, and there was no way to get there that quickly from where I lived on the same day, so I had to book a hotel).

In the end I didn't get an offer, which is fair enough, but not getting a response at all considering the amount of time and money I invested into getting there left a very sour taste in my mouth.

While most of the interview wasn't difficult, I feel that they wanted very specific answers for certain questions, and I could sense the interviewers' disapproval at certain answers despite my years of experience. I also felt this when I expressed a desire to go back home and do something other than teaching long term after a few more years in Japan. Considering the limited nature of ALT jobs (yearly contracts with no raises and minimum benefits), it seems quite silly for something like that to be counted against candidates with long term ambitions.

Interview Questions

• What is the role of an ALT in the classroom?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Altia Central (Tokyo (Japan)) in March 2015.

Interview

They asked me to have a 1-1 interview. It was really straight forward. They ask questions to analyze if your personality matches with the company and as a teacher. The interviewer was very friendly. They even made joke. I do warn you that you should know what the president of the company looks like. She might be at the interview. I think it'll be a shoe-in if you know.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weakness? Why do you want to be a teacher? Why are you in Japan?
      The interview questions are easy. Just read up what the company ask for as a teacher and build your answers around that image. They were friendly to me and smiled a lot.   Answer Question

ALT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Altia Central.

Interview

A CV sent via emailed, followed by the recruiting manager replying fairly quickly. An interview was scheduled domestically quickly, but no travel expenses (20,000+) were provided for it. There was a lot of time that passed between that and finally being offered the job, followed by another large blank of communication when I was suddenly told that there's training on the go.

Interview Questions

• Is it OK to study Japanese in school during free time?   1 Answer