Amazon Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.8

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Straightforward. 2 coding rounds then a phone interview. First round was a basic debugging round whereas the 2nd round had 2 technical questions. 10 days after that, we were asked to schedule a phone interview date which was scheduled a week from that. The questions asked on the phone interview were all technical in nature. The first question was a basic level order tree traversal.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer Intern I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Two online assessments and final phone round. The phone interview was most def solvable but make sure to talk the solution through and work with with the engineer. I think that helped me get the offer.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 online assessments, followed by phone interview.
    1st assessment was one hour and consisted of debugging and MCQs.
    2nd assessment was 70 minutes and consisted of 2 coding questions.
    Phone interview was 45 minutes and consisted of more coding and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so I will not post the questions.   6 Answers

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

VERY unprofessional interview process.

I applied with a referral in December and got an invitation to take a 7 question debugging and 24 question reasoning test. 2 days later I was invited to take a 2 coding question test. 2-3 weeks later I received an invitation to the final round phone interview. I was given about a range of a week for possible phone interview days, the last day of which was a Wednesday. I picked many available hours on each of those days, and specified that I had an exploding offer the very Thursday after that Wednesday, so that I preferred an interview ASAP. They picked my interview to be the very last day, Wednesday.

Wednesday comes, and 15 minutes after my interview was supposed to start, I get an email that my interviewer has cancelled on me. Again, I have an exploding offer on Thursday so I end up rescheduling for later that same day. 20 minutes after my NEW interview was supposed to start, I finally get a call from my interviewer. That is 20 minutes that I lose off my my total interview time because my interviewer had to be punctual to his next interview, because for some reason it wasn't important to be punctual to mine. The cherry on top was that there was constant static on the phone and my interviewer couldn't even see what I typed and had to disconnect and reconnect constantly because of technical problems on his end. Got the rejection email 1 week later.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Online assessment. I received an email containing a link to the online test. It said it will take about thirty minutes. The test is made of two parts, debugging and reasoning. The first part is pretty easy if you are familiar with java. They provide several test cases to help you debug the code. The second part, the reasoning part is a little bit tricky but not too hard.

Interview Questions

• Several reasoning questions like finding patterns of two strings.
      Debugging questions of java code.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

2 online assessments + 45 min phone interview. It took 2 months before I received the first online assessment, but afterwards everything was fast and smooth. Emailed the third party that sent the OA1 when I had issues and they were quick to respond. Wait times: OA1->OA2 (2 days), OA2->Phone interview (3 days), Phone interview->Offer (a week).

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

TL;DR: Resume + Apply + Wait + Debug/Logic Challenge + Coding Challenge + Phone Interview = AMAZON INTERNSHIP!!!

1) Apply for internship at their careers site
    2) Wait 1-2 months
    3) Receive email about Round 1: debugging and logic challenge, which is basically an IQ test type of thing.
    4) Wait 1 week
    5) Receive email about Round 2: coding challenge. Coding can be practiced on LeetCode Easy/Medium. At this round, if you did VERY well on Round 1 and Round 2 (i.e. perfect score in short amount of time) you may receive offer, however this is rare.
    6) Wait 1 week
    7) Receive email about scheduling Round 3: phone interview. Phone interview will be on Easy/Medium coding interview questions, OOP, data structures, and general knowledge of coding. May include some behavioral questions as well.
    8) Wait 1 week
    9) Become an Amazonian!
    10) Have fun
    11) Return offer

Interview Questions

• 1) Debug some code and take logic test
      2) Perform coding challenge
      3) Show general knowledge of software development, code something, talk about interests
      3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

They called for an assessment test, saying that the options in programming languages for the coding test are Java, C, C++ and Python. I flew in to Cambridge, all the way from my place to take the test, only to find that Python was not an option. I was OK with this and had continued to code, when the recruiter/host announced that those who prefer Python will have a separate hiring process later on, and had to leave.

Quite obviously, there were some who preferred Python for coding tests including me and we left, wasting about half a day, a certain amount unreimbursed cost of travel, as well as having missed classes and/or other important engagements for that day.

We never received any intimation later on.

I hope the recruiters learn to value the time and money of candidates and improve upon managing the process properly. Its a shame that such a big company has such a shoddy hiring process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Had a group coding interview with amazon. 3hrs total, including debugging questions, logic questions and coding questions. Can only use java, c or cpp for the coding part of the interview. I did not finish the interview and left, since I do not use any of the programming languages. However, the questions were very easy (managed to do the debugging part in java).

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose the questions since I signed a contract with them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Had an on-site round:
    Section 1: Debugging round
    Section 2: Logical reasoning
    Section 3: 2 coding questions

Applied on Amazon careers site and received a mail from a recruiter for an on-site screening round after about 15 days.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions from top 50 questions in programcreek with a little modification.   1 Answer