Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

11,585 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon?
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
    2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
    3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
    5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    8. How do you motivate people?
    9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. Name a time you screwed up
    7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
    6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   8 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

An online quiz and then a phone interview. The online quiz wasn't very hard. It tested basic computer science knowledge. The phone interview was slightly harder but it was basically data structures and algorithm questions. They give you an online editor and you type responses into it.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

1st you must complete an online assessment to qualify , if you application is accepted you have a group interview where you must then pass a mouth swab drug test

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Step 1:
    Got an email from Amazon recruiter that they saw my profile matching with their requirement and interested to see whether am willing to proceed with interview process. I said why not, as Amazon in one of my dream company to join with. I replied back with all required details and resume.

Step 2:
    After one week I got an email for first phone interview. Which was technical round. The guy who interviewed me was senior development engineer and interview went for 1 hour. It was perfectly planned and he was very nice guy and has experience in taking interview for sure.

Step 3:
    After one week from first phone interview, i got an email stating, they liked talking with me and willing to proceed with second phone interview. I have replied and they scheduled me second technical phone interview in a week. Now, Senior technical project/program manager took the interview and it was really interactive and went very smooth. It was more of behavior and scenario related questions and he helped here and there to provide the lead to answer. It was only for 40 mins as that manager was busy with some other important work to do. But it was great. He informed me right away that he liked me and he will ask recruiter to schedule next round as a pure technical.

Step 4:
    After 5 days, I got an email for Final Phone interview, and this will be pure technical. I provided my availability. In meantime when I was waiting for final phone interview, I got an email stating they willing to fly me to Seattle amazon.com office for in person interview. There you go.

Step 5:
    All arrangements done in 2 days and I flew to their office for in person interview. There were totally 6 interviews, each 45 mins. In between there was one lunch meeting with manager from different team. All interviewers were very cool and process oriented. I studied many reviews and comments from glass door and other websites. But its not really that bad as they have pointed out. Amazon has a process to note each and every word you say to decide your ability. So I don't think their activity to type what you say while the interview in process is bad at all, because they are recording it for future decision. So I really agree they have their process which is working well for them and I felt good. Most of the questions were behavior, given scenario, your past experience, technical, design, architecture related. It started at 9:30 and ended at 4 PM with 5 mins break between some interview.

Overall it was great experience to me.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Basic target selection questions, STAR. Called for interview at FC. Interview lasted roughly 40 minutes. Well organized and flowed great. Asked about a process change I helped implement and the simple math question of 38 hourly with 2 indirect employees. Added how many people would be needed if one wanted 10000 more units.

Fulfillment Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

No interview process just tell you about the company and do a drug test,take your picture and select your schedule.it's all a step by step process I waited like a whole month before I got a call back for the start date

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Had three rounds in total. I am a new grad. The first round was a debugging challenge with a quantitative test. The first round was pretty simple and anyone can clear that. The second round is a work simulation round and three coding challenge questions. This round was for 4 hours in total. A third party agency conducts this test for Amazon. Till now you wont interact with any of the SDE from amazon. The third round is an onsite where you need to work on a group assesment.

Interview Questions

• Debugging questions will be of 7 questions for 21 minutes. Ex: An array will be sorted in descending you need to change the code to sort it in ascending.   2 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 1) Find the longest palindromic substring from the given string. No need of DP solution.   5 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 2) You will be given N number of points as an array (CPPoint class). CPPoint class will have x and y coordinate. Find the closest k number of points from the origin.   3 Answers
    • Coding Challenge 3) You are given a linkedlist with next and arbitary pointers. Create a new linkedlist similar to the given linkedlist. You need to create a code for deep copy of a linkedlist.   7 Answers
    • Onsite Group Assesment. 1) Each team will be given three different answers for the same question. The question was to identify the best item in a given set of items. There will another point to note in the question if Item A is better than Item B and item B better than Item C, it does not mean item a is better than Item C. (Non transitive property). The goal is to identify the best solution by discussing with your team mates.   1 Answer
    • 2) This is the most important task in the group assesment where I think I would have failed. You will be given a code base with 30 Java files. There will be three milestones. Milestone 1) You need to find a way to map the products to shipping centers. The question was vague and I cant remember it exactly. This mapping can be done by identifying the cost of shipping for each area. Cost can in turn be calculated based on four different factors like air shipping, ground shipping and few others. Based on the customer requirement you need to make the products to shipping areas and return a list of product ids and their shipping cost list.   3 Answers
    • Milestone 2) Will ask to optimize by reducing the number of unfulfilled orders. The apis will be confusing and you will have two interviews during the coding session.   9 Answers

Seller Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Tempe, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

S.T.A.R. technique questioning which seems to be standard the standard technique used in interviews at this time. I am sure that everyone has had their share of experience with this interviewing style.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had to go above and beyond to satisfy a client?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Honolulu, HI) in February 2017.

Interview

Made it through the 1st round which involved a 45-minute phone interview. The phone interview consisted of behavioral and case questions. It is key to answer your questions and hint towards one of their leadership principles.

Interview Questions

• If you had to put a cap on Amazon sellers, what would it be and how would you measure results?   Answer Question