Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2018
17,958 Interview Reviews

3.1

Community Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Very straightforward. A recruiter contacted me and explained the entire process upfront. My first interview was with the hiring manager (not a recruiter). There was a big emphasis on Amazon core values, even though it was for Goodreads specifically. I made sure that each of my answers correlated with a core value. Within two days, I was informed that I was not selected for further interview rounds.

Interview Questions

• What indicators do you report on?
      How can you improve upon the product?   2 Answers

Community Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in January 2018.

Interview

Terribly inefficient process. A recruiter reached out about 1 month after I had applied online. The recruiter had clearly used a template, but forgot to change the update it with the correct job title I had applied for. The recruiter asked me to answer 4 essay questions - which I can only assume were her screening questions because she was too lazy to speak with me. It then took another 4 weeks for the recruiting scheduler to coordinate a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was clearly under qualified and lacked relevant experience. The whole process was a waste of time for both the company and for me as an applicant. Basic information around compensation, team structure, and travel expectations could - and should - have been conveyed by the recruiter during the initial screening process. For a large company like Amazon Web Services, you would have expected better processes in place and competent hiring managers. Final round interview would have included a presentation of some sort.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time you handled a crisis. 2) Tell me about a time you had to deal with ambiguity. 3) Tell me what you know about AWS?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online (without any referrals) and got a call back two weeks later. The process lasted three to four weeks for me and included several phone interviews and a writing test before the in person interviews. The writing test was extensive and needed to be finished before the in person interview.

Amazon does take care of you during the process (travel, expenses). They have a whole department that takes care of this! The actual interviews are quite challenging. I spoke with 6 different people during the in-person interviews (almost 45mins to an hour each) including a lunch interview. One thing I found interesting was that the interviewers barely make eye contact with you during the interview because they need to fill out a comprehensive STAR form with all your answers.

At times, it felt like they were trying to trick you just to see how you'd react, especially when they'd bring someone in from a completely different department to test you. This style of interviewing can be exciting for some and I'm guessing that's how they weed out people that don't fit their culture.

The entire interviewing process at Amazon seems like a machine. The recruiter I had been first speaking to had left her job mid-way through my process and another. Overall, it seems like employees are constantly having to interview candidates.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the website? Tell me a time when you took on a role higher than yours. Tell me a time you failed at a project. Tell me a time when you led a project.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very long process. Weeks between applying and then the initial phone interview with the hiring manager, and then an all-day interview process with the hiring manager and members of related teams and others in completely unrelated roles.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions related to data-driven targets and measuring success.   1 Answer

Continuous Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

step 1 - recruiter phone screening
    step 2 - hiring manager phone screen
    step 3 - hiring managers peer phone screen
    step 4 - in person interview at fulfillment center
    Keys to interviewing at Amazon are knowing their leadership principles and being proficient with STAR question- answers
    I will concentrate on the step 4 outlined above as this is where you really must shine to get an offer.
    It was an all-day affair about 6 hours with the same people that did the phone screening as well other team members. 6 interviews in all. All questions were scenario STAR based. Some samples
    - Describe a time you were innovative
    - Describe a time you disagreed with a supervisor
    - Describe a time you had to disappoint peers
    - Describe a time you exhibited fast deployment of a solution or project
    - Describe a time you exhibited trial and error type of task execution
    - Describe a time you drove a project with minimal budget
    The toughest aspect of the interview was the sheer amount of speaking and explaining you had to do. The senior leader (VP) was also present and he essentially went completely off script and asked many questions about the CV. Ultimately I think it came down to his opinion and it was clear he felt I required more Operations experience (why make me go through entire process !?!?)
    So so experience – after extensive researching the company in preparation I learned they do slave drive their folks – both line staff and management so beware of that aspect when considering accepting any potential offers.

Computer Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

First interview was an automated interview. Questions appeared on computer screen and then it automatically recorded my answers. Did that twice and then had a phone interview. They wanted to fly me out to the location, but were not willing to pay for travel and on a student budget, I was not able to afford the trip. Set up the phone interview instead.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to computer engineering in German as the role was for a German speaking position.   Answer Question

Construction Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

First interview was with HR over the phone. Pleasant, professional and engaging.
    Second interview was scheduled to be held over Chime with Hiring Manager. Unfortunately HM cancelled 2 minutes before scheduled start, with no effort from his side to reschedule. I followed up to arrange reschedule. The second interview was eventually conducted over the phone, but I got the impression the HM was just going through the motions.
    I again had to follow up on whether I progressed to the third interview, despite being told that they would get back to me.
    Apart from interaction with Recruitment staff (which was professional) the rest was disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Questions were quite typical to what can be Googled about interviewing at Amazon.   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recently participated in 5 x 45 minute interviews, plus 3x phone interviews. (Total of 8 interviews). Passed all interviews with great feedback and received a verbal offer! However, the closing recruiter noticed I didn't meet degree requirements? I provided correct information on my application and resume, never provided misleading information regarding my degree. Spoke to 10 different individuals not one person verified or questioned the degree requirements. Verbal offer was withdrawn, they advise me to reapply in 12 + months but unfortunately could continue the offer process. If I didn't meet the basic qualifications then why interview my candidacy? I'm not sure if this was a true statement or if they decided to extended the offer to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral / difficult client scenarios   1 Answer

Other Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

This is the first time I have EVER writing a review of any sort but felt this def needs to be shared so you know what your walking in to..

Probably one of the worst interview experiences I have ever had!!!

This was an on-site interview, yet more then 50% of it was conducted over the phone.
    I spoke to the hiring manager THAT day for the first time..and he as well.. off site.
    Furthermore ... most of the ppl who interviewed me.. weren't part of the team I was
    going to join..

Thru out the day there was serious confusion about who I was to talk to next.. Well
    giving the TBD's sprinkled thru the agenda and the off site coordination attempts
    I guess that made sense..

Moving forward.. none of the question were related to the position. NONE.
    No personal questions what so ever.. nor any personal conversation for that
    matter.. straight up "what if" questions thru the entire day.. from each of the
    interviewers.. To be fair, I was told that most of the interview will be like this..
    but I was not prepared for the entire conversation to be like that..
    Lunch was brought on-site wont get in to that.. but.. again just a weird experience as well..

My last interviewer was.. yet another phone meeting and once that concluded I sat in the room
    not sure what my next steps are.. finally some random dude came by saying he was sent to escort me
    out..

Finally.. an entire week after the onsite.. with 0 communication in between, I get a call from a recruiter I have never spoken too, which said " Were not going to move forward, you can try to reapply in 6 months, best of luck" CLICK

relieved.. seriously

To sum up.. be prepared to join a well oiled machine.. not a team

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time where you had a project with a dead line which you didnt meet   Answer Question

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

First step; if you are in the top 25% of candidates, you will receive a call-back and have an informal phone interview with the recruiter. If you pass this first phase, you will have a writing exercise. From there, you will have a formal phone interview with a member of the team.

From there, if they liked your writing sample and phone interview, the recruiting team will schedule an in person interview on the premises (if you are out of the state, they will pay for your flight, hotel, per-diem and all other transportation).

The in-person interview is a grueling 6-8 hours of interviews with 6 different team members, plus a lunch (which is not supposed to be an interview, but most certainly is).

During the interview, you will be asked a series of questions that will ask for your experience in a number of areas, and are each based on one of the leadership principles. Get to know these inside and out! In your interview, the suggested response should follow the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action taken and Result). Frame your questions using the STAR method and provide answers that reflect your knowledge of the leadership questions.

If you have made it to the final in person interview, be confident. You have made it past hundreds of other candidates, they like you so far and are using the in-person interview to assess whether their initial feelings were correct, and whether you will fit in here (based on your knowledge of the leadership principles).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a manager or team member?   2 Answers