Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2018
17,011 Interview Reviews

3.1

Community Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Very straightforward. A recruiter contacted me and explained the entire process upfront. My first interview was with the hiring manager (not a recruiter). There was a big emphasis on Amazon core values, even though it was for Goodreads specifically. I made sure that each of my answers correlated with a core value. Within two days, I was informed that I was not selected for further interview rounds.

Interview Questions

• What indicators do you report on?
      How can you improve upon the product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very long process. Weeks between applying and then the initial phone interview with the hiring manager, and then an all-day interview process with the hiring manager and members of related teams and others in completely unrelated roles.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions related to data-driven targets and measuring success.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Interview was a phone screening. We talked about the role and some ideas I had for the role. Then she asked a lot of data/entry questions that had absolutely nothing to do with the job role whatsoever. Mostly canned responses that insulted me and my time. Since we went over the 1-hour limit they allowed me 15 minutes to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time you had to act quickly without any data.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online (without any referrals) and got a call back two weeks later. The process lasted three to four weeks for me and included several phone interviews and a writing test before the in person interviews. The writing test was extensive and needed to be finished before the in person interview.

Amazon does take care of you during the process (travel, expenses). They have a whole department that takes care of this! The actual interviews are quite challenging. I spoke with 6 different people during the in-person interviews (almost 45mins to an hour each) including a lunch interview. One thing I found interesting was that the interviewers barely make eye contact with you during the interview because they need to fill out a comprehensive STAR form with all your answers.

At times, it felt like they were trying to trick you just to see how you'd react, especially when they'd bring someone in from a completely different department to test you. This style of interviewing can be exciting for some and I'm guessing that's how they weed out people that don't fit their culture.

The entire interviewing process at Amazon seems like a machine. The recruiter I had been first speaking to had left her job mid-way through my process and another. Overall, it seems like employees are constantly having to interview candidates.

Interview Questions

• What would you change about the website? Tell me a time when you took on a role higher than yours. Tell me a time you failed at a project. Tell me a time when you led a project.   Answer Question

Continuous Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

step 1 - recruiter phone screening
    step 2 - hiring manager phone screen
    step 3 - hiring managers peer phone screen
    step 4 - in person interview at fulfillment center
    Keys to interviewing at Amazon are knowing their leadership principles and being proficient with STAR question- answers
    I will concentrate on the step 4 outlined above as this is where you really must shine to get an offer.
    It was an all-day affair about 6 hours with the same people that did the phone screening as well other team members. 6 interviews in all. All questions were scenario STAR based. Some samples
    - Describe a time you were innovative
    - Describe a time you disagreed with a supervisor
    - Describe a time you had to disappoint peers
    - Describe a time you exhibited fast deployment of a solution or project
    - Describe a time you exhibited trial and error type of task execution
    - Describe a time you drove a project with minimal budget
    The toughest aspect of the interview was the sheer amount of speaking and explaining you had to do. The senior leader (VP) was also present and he essentially went completely off script and asked many questions about the CV. Ultimately I think it came down to his opinion and it was clear he felt I required more Operations experience (why make me go through entire process !?!?)
    So so experience – after extensive researching the company in preparation I learned they do slave drive their folks – both line staff and management so beware of that aspect when considering accepting any potential offers.

Computer Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

First interview was an automated interview. Questions appeared on computer screen and then it automatically recorded my answers. Did that twice and then had a phone interview. They wanted to fly me out to the location, but were not willing to pay for travel and on a student budget, I was not able to afford the trip. Set up the phone interview instead.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to computer engineering in German as the role was for a German speaking position.   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recently participated in 5 x 45 minute interviews, plus 3x phone interviews. (Total of 8 interviews). Passed all interviews with great feedback and received a verbal offer! However, the closing recruiter noticed I didn't meet degree requirements? I provided correct information on my application and resume, never provided misleading information regarding my degree. Spoke to 10 different individuals not one person verified or questioned the degree requirements. Verbal offer was withdrawn, they advise me to reapply in 12 + months but unfortunately could continue the offer process. If I didn't meet the basic qualifications then why interview my candidacy? I'm not sure if this was a true statement or if they decided to extended the offer to another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral / difficult client scenarios   1 Answer

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Required to complete a very detailed questionnaire, had 2 phone interviews, was given a contract to mark-up as an exercise, and then was flown in for a number of interviews in one day. That was over a 3 month period. I did not get an offer, and over 3 months later, the job is still posted.

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

I had phone interview, followed by a face to face with 3 recruiters. I waited in the lobby for 30 minutes. One recruiter came to the lobby and we went to lunch. The other two Interviews went fairly quick and they asked several behavioral questions relating to ambiguity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the most challenging time you had with a hiring manager and how did you solved it?   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

One day I applied online to several contacts/legal-related positions at Amazon. Within 2 days I was contacted by an HR department to schedule a phone interview. Prior to the interview I was instructed to fill out and email back a questionnaire about myself. It contained some very general questions and a few that were what I considered nosy, which included a question about my income at my present job (I declined to answer that question). Upon turning in the questionnaire, I was informed by HR that the following interview was not for a specific position, but rather a specific skill set. HR insisted that if I "passed" this first interview I would be considered for another interview for one of several contracts positions available at the time. From what I recall, the phone interview was with a legal department employee. At best the interview felt like a casual conversation at best. At the single instance I clearly gave a weak response, their was no follow-up from the interviewer. Keep in mind this was a first level interview, one I assume of many.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had the most difficulty advocating for specific language to be put into a contractual agreement during a negotiation exercise. What was the issue? What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question