AppNexus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 5, 2018

3.2

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

The interview process is well organized by HR but it seems the hiring team doesn't know what they are looking for. They make you come to interview for several rounds. It is very time consuming - both on-site hours and off-site take home assignment. The expectations of what kind of candidates they hope to have are not quite on the same page among various management levels.

Interview Questions

• interview questions are all very basic. just try to get to know you.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY).

Interview

One phone screen interview and 4 on-site interviews (coding, algorithm oriented & behavioral). Interviews were of average difficulty but dealt a lot with optimized algorithm oriented. Friendly visit to the office, stocked kitchens/cafeteria - Had a fun day interviewing!

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus.

Interview

1)Recruiter
    2)Team member
    3)In-person (day interview) half of day with two people half of day with three others on team

They usually ask the same questions throughout. Some people are nice but others seem to be on a power trip and come off cold and aloof even though you try to be friendly and joke with them. They try there best not to crack a laugh. Rigid environment it seems.

Interview Questions

• Why this company?
      Teach me something?
      What leadership have you been involved with?
      What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      What have you learned recently?
      How many adds are in the internet every hour?
      They ask you to solve a world problem and see how you approach in solving it.   1 Answer

Optimization Technology Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppNexus in March 2018.

Interview

It was a 1 hour video interview where I had to teach a topic to the interviewer and then answer some basic computer science questions. There was emphasis placed on explaining thought process as I worked on questions. Interviewer was very helpful and overall a great experience.

Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied to a Director, Product Management position online.

1. Phone interview with the hiring manager
    2. 3 weeks after the onsite 5.5-hour interview with 3 team members together and then department managers separately
    3. 6 weeks after onsite interview quick coffee with the hiring manager
    4. 4 days after - job offer for a lower position

I liked the team I talked to, but ultimately my interview experience was disappointing because I was told for 6 weeks that I'm "being considered". Then got an offer for a lower position (Sr. PM) than my current and desired (Director), with close to zero increase to my current base compensation and lower stock options than my current. The communicated reason was that I don't have AdTech experience (which was known from day 1).

My advice to the AppNexus Management would be to respect others and their team time and if a person is not a good fit for the position he or she wants, it should be communicated right away (not 2.5 months after) and confirmed that candidates are ready for a lower job title (or no compensation increase).

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppNexus.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in their engineering department and was asked to provide my availability to set up an interview. I sent my availability within an hour of receiving her email and then I never heard back from her. Quite bizarre.

Information Security Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppNexus in February 2018.

Interview

I had a technical screening call, and it was pretty rough. The screener didn't give an introduction or overview of himself/herself or even a high level explanation of the job role and context. The screener went over my resume line by line and assessed my depth of knowledge on each item. It was definitely more of an interrogation than a conversation, and there was no situational assessment like "what would you do in X situation." Ultimately I didn't get the job because they wanted experience with specific products, but those specific products were never mentioned in the job description.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

It was a phone screen. I talked to a technical guy, who asked a few reasonable questions. He was polite and patient. I managed to answer the questions. There was also a coding part, which I screwed up -- made a few mistakes on the way. Not to sound like an excuse, but it is probably because it was my first time coding on a white board.

The man was patient and helpful. Seems that it is no so bad, when you know how to approach it and usually they help you a bit, because it seems they are also human, not acting like robots.

Maybe because of these mistakes I did not get to the next stage, but it is a good lesson for md too -- need to practice apparently.

Interview Questions

• Implement one of the string to number conversion functions or number to string on a while board online. Pretty simple for a good 1/2 hour work.   1 Answer

Summer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppNexus (Portland, OR) in February 2018.

Interview

For the first video interview, I did a coding challenge, a 10 minute tutorial on any subject I wanted, and some behavioral questions. For the final interview, I interviewed with a number of people, talked about some of my school projects, and did another coding challenge (this one was in JavaScript). The coding challenges didn't feel very difficult.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing about a project you made that you would do differently?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Interview consisted of two rounds, one phone screen which consisted of 1 coding question and 1 teaching part.
    Next was the final Onsite round which was of 3:15 hours with 3 rounds of 1 hours each consisting of
    Algorithms and Data structures, Behavioral and System Design

Interview Questions

• Related to string manipulation   Answer Question
    • Design a messaging app like Whatsapp which can have groups or 1 on 1. Give layout of the tables and show how the communication is done among each components.   Answer Question