AppNexus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

3.3

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and contacted about 3-4 weeks later for phone interview with the manager of the team. Phone interview was standard questions, topical overview of the role. Received an email to schedule on-site interview. This was extremely difficult and took over a week to schedule. The HR contact was not very responsive leaving a smaller window available for the 4 hour interview. The 2nd HR contact who was supposed to reach out and give information on what to expect from the interviews never reached out. On-site met with 4 people from the team for 1 general interview, behavioral interview, case study interview, and wrap up with manager again. Again, the 2nd HR contact was supposed to call to recap, but never reached out.

Interview Questions

• How would you shape a compensation package for the Sales Team based on AppNexus revenue share? What factors are you considering? What are some alternatives?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

After applying online, and some phone tag with the recruiter, a call was finally scheduled and a 45 min phone interview took place. Basic questions around candidate experience and capabilities and the structure and expectations of the department and of the role. At the end of the call we discussed the process around the number of rounds and a design challenge was mentioned. By the end of that week, I was contacted via email that I successfully made it to the next round and was asked to complete the design challenge, redesigning a tool for a taxi dispatcher. It was dictated I should only allow 2 hours for a response to the challenge.

The following Monday, I submitted a very thorough response outlining research, strategy, rationale, and multiple screens with fairly polished UI solutions. This is work professionals get paid for and it takes much more than 2 hours to provide a thorough well thought out solution and prepare a presentation to showcase this work.

Days went by and there was no response or confirmation, I followed up again via mail at least three different times, still no response. Several other attempts via email to follow up and still no response. It has been weeks with no communication after putting in hours over a weekend to comply with a creative task in this recruitment process. Infuriating to say the least.

Like any normal, experienced professional I am extremely intolerant of people who are reckless with my time. Your recruiter and recruitment asks are the frontline to your brand and it sounds like you left the intern in charge who got distracted or maybe never understood her job or the company to begin with. This childish, inconsiderate, disrespectful, and extremely unprofessional behavior is disgraceful.

Interview Questions

• Your goal is to design an interface that will serve as an efficient tool for taxi dispatchers to keep track of and dispatch their vehicles, while monitoring their metrics and performance.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus.

Interview

45min phone interview with the hiring manager. 3wks later I attended the on-site, which was comprised of 5 1hr interviews (behavioural, case study, 3 with team) + lunch. Recruiter always provided an update within 2-3 days.

Interview Questions

• Comprehensive list of behavioural questions - tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership/ experienced conflict/ had client interaction etc. Case study was open-ended - considerations for publisher going digital. Teach me something. Team posed few questions related to ad auction that required no prior knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppNexus.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and an on site interview. The on site interview was four forty five minute interviews if I remember correctly. They were typical whiteboard algorithm and data structures type questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a few brainteasers and the rest were coding questions.   Answer Question

Associate Technical Client Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus.

Interview

Applied online. Invited to phone screen with the team manager 6 days later. Phone screen 4 days later. Invited to interview onsite a couple hours after my phone screen. The recruiter called a couple days before my interview to prepare me for the interview and asked about my interest in the company and role. Had an analytical then behavioral interview followed by lunch. After lunch the recruiter I was moving forward. When my technical interviewers walked in, I knew it was over. They were stiff, tired, and cold from the get go. My final interview was about customer service experience and some more behavioral questions. Everyone but my technical interviewers were really outgoing, friendly, and excited to be there. The recruiters were wonderful and very communicative. They let me know the Tuesday after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why AppNexus? What's something you can speak passionately about for an hour? What's your customer service philosophy?   Answer Question

Client Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Process took a few weeks, it began with a phone interview, then an in office interview, lastly final interviews via video interview. HR team is very responsive through the entire process if you have any questions.

Interview Questions

• How are your excel skills, what are the most complicated formulas you are familiar with? Do you know the difference between buy and sell side advertising?   Answer Question

Associate Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online, 1 phone screen, then 1 day of final round (1 hour interviews each, 4 total interviews with 1 hour lunch in between). You get the offer or get rejected in 2-3 business days. Everyone is very nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• 1) Name a time when you (insert all scenarios), all of the standard things you might prepare for normally
      2) Analytical test, what is AppNexus' total revenue, how many total bids does it serve, and in what specific markets
      3) Describe a concept and explain it to me like I was a 5 year old
      4) Name a process that you could improve (ex. public transportation system of Manhattan, unemployment services) if you had a reasonable/working budget   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppNexus (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through my university, had a phone screen, and then had three back to back interviews at their offices in NYC. Whole process took about 5 weeks. Know the AppNexian values for the interview!

Interview Questions

• Asked mostly behavioral questions. One of the three interviews was a case interview.   Answer Question

DevOps Technical Summer Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about two to three weeks later for an interview. AppNexus uses this platform called Vidyo to conduct first round interviews. This platform is only usable on Firefox and Internet Explorer (not Microsoft Edge) and even with that it doesn't work with Windows 10. I am not sure why a 'tech' company would use such a limited platform for first round interviews. After finding out that I was unable to use this platform my interview was rescheduled. On the day of the reschedule, my interviewer was sick and HR failed to tell me this before I waited 20 minutes to be called. HR rescheduled again and my interviewer was very nice. A lot of the questions had to do with the mechanisms of development at a large company and some were behavioral. There was a simple question on hashing at the end.

Interview Questions

• How to find duplicate entries in an array. What does DevOps do? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppNexus in November 2016.

Interview

I was informed I would have to prepare a topic to discuss with my interview for 10 minutes in the skype call, and then she would ask me computer science questions after. During my speech, she kept looking out the doorway and was very distracted. In addition, she was very unclear with her computer science question, so I couldn't understand the prompt. It took 30 minutes for me to finally understand what she was saying, when I could have solved the problem in 5. When she finally told me the solution, my solution was actually more optimized in terms of time complexity but was dismissed.