Armstrong Garden Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

2.5

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Preliminary interview was a one on one interview with corporate recruiter in my local Garden Center. Then a second interview was a panel interview with the leadership team (regional managers and operations manager) at the corporate office in Glendora. Offer took a few days after some salary negotiations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you experienced an irate customer and how did you respond? What is your management style? Tell me about your horticulture knowledge?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate fair compensation based on my experience and considering this was a training position.

Retail Office Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers (Sherman Oaks, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Friendly, informal, low pressure. 1:1 with Store Manager. Briefly questioned former employment and how these skills related to the job being interviewed for. Very nice environment, all staff seemed very relaxed and friendly. I felt it went very well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you delivered excellent customer service   Answer Question

Marketing/Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I never interviewed had the chance to interview. I had several phone interviews scheduled but the person who initially reached out, said she never received my email response confirming the interview.

I copied myself on the email so I know she did receive it and it was read. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I would hate to think they intentionally ignored me. Unfortunately, they did.

I sent an email asking if they were still interested in an interview. This person responded and apologized and said they did not get my response. I get hundreds of emails per day so I understand. They didn't follow through for a second time. Very unprofessional behavior.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers (Irvine, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I just walked up and asked if they were hiring. came back a week later to ask if they had reviewed my application and interviewed me on the spot. Walked in a third time a week later since I never heard back and resubmitted the application and finally got hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not much negotiation, $10 was all they were willing to offer.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers in November 2014.

Interview

Picked up an application in store and came back the next day to drop off and take a test to qualify for the Nursery Professional position. I was contacted later for a more formal interview. Very relaxed and friendly, walked around the garden center and was assessed for basic knowledge on how one would help a customer while working.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a customer looking at an end cap or display?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers.

Interview

great

Negotiation

We would love to have your experience

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers.

Interview

Fill out online application. Go to store and fill out 10 pages of horticulturally related questions. Wait until you hear back from corporate. Go interview with head of H/R- typical questions asked. But never was the 10 pager filled out at the garden center discussed. Then you get low-balled on pay and find out that the places you requested to work at are not the place you're going to be working at. Like to spend two hours in traffic? Good because don't be surprised if they send you 50 miles from your requested work location.
    Training: They give you two very large binders: one with h/r policies, ESOP, etc, and one for garden training. The h/r binder is out dated and has many mistakes-it was poorly slapped together some time ago. The garden training consists of watching a 5 minute video about watering plants.
    They have made an effort to hire a trainer-but she doesn't know anything about plants-she's mainly an h/r affiliate and relays company expectations-50 hour work week, lots of responsibility, and ingrains sell, sell, sell at all costs. Your salary is $35K. You'll be traveling to san juan capistrano for training even though the corporate office is in Glendora. So If you work in Santa Monica-it's a long haul. Be prepared for constant employee turnover if you want to be in management.

Interview Questions

• The 10 pager at the garden center was the only time horticultural knowledge was required. It was never critiqued or discussed. Don't let this intimate date you because most managers couldn't answer these questions. Brush up on NPK, warm season and cool season grasses and a few herbicides and pesticides.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered less than the advertised rate even though my qualifications were superior.
    They promised additional compensation that never came.

Retail Salesperson Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan Capistrano, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers (San Juan Capistrano, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

In response to the 'help wanted' poster at the entrance to one of their retail centers , I requested an application --12 pages in length and requiring extreme details. Okay , all for a $10.50/ job?.......it's a job. Then they required a 12 page on the spot test with multiple choice, fill-in the blank, and short essay questions , when I hand delivered my application. The
    interview was less than 30 seconds........didn't invite me into an office, didn't look at my application or resume, just asked one question--"Do you have retail experience?"
    I have extensive experience and that was it. 8 weeks later , no response. After many inquiries to Human Resources, I was finally notified to reapply on-line - start again- wow

Interview Questions

• It was my question to the store manager--what are the follow -up procedures for an employee candidate?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers in February 2009.

Interview

Hired as a sales associate and then promoted within a year. Sales associate position required taking a 10 page test that had questions about plant care, fertilizers, pesticides and the differences between cool season and warm season grasses.

Interview Questions

• Cool season grasses, have you had retail experiences, what type, kinds.   Answer Question

Negotiation

they offered a flat salary-lowballed. They came up a bit because I knew what others were making.