Art.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.9

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two in-person interviews, even though they knew I was from out of town. Asked me the exact same questions during the second interview. Refused to give a salary range until I did. Didn't follow up from second interview until weeks after. When asked, they didn't give any feedback or criticism to help me with interviews in the future. Waste of time.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Art.com.

Interview

Originally applied via the website and didn't hear back. Proceeded to apply through an employee referral. A few days afterwards, I scheduled an initial phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager a few days afterwards. I went onsite and had 4-5 individual interviews with different directors and senior team members. Each interview was 30-45 mins each. Everyone was very friendly and seemed to love what they do. All the team members I talked to were seasoned employees who have been at the company for awhile. I had a separate offsite interview with the hiring manager and then a second round of onsite interviews with 5 more people, who were also directors and senior/lead team members. After the last round of interviews was background and reference checks. The entire process was under 2 months from the time I applied through an employee referral.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com.

Interview

I orginally apllied for the project coordinator position in Emeryville because it was closer to my home. The recruited called and said she wanted me to apply fpr the Project Manager position because I seemed a bit over qualified for the other position. The recruiter called me twice for a phone screen and I thought the conversations went well. I didn't get called for a 3rd interview and no rejection email.

Email Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard. Met with direct reports, director, vp and hr. Everyone was really nice. Most especially HR. They really treated me nicely as they did my entire employment. There was not a lot of room for negotiation when it came to salary

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Very rushed process that was pretty intense, although the contract recruiter tried really hard to be personable and helpful. Regardless, not such a great vibe from some of the folks I interviewed with. They rushed to get me there, then scheduled several hours of interviews in a single day (my bad for agreeing!) with the big dogs at the end of a 9 hour day. I was mental jello and it was pure hubris on my part to think I could be anything but STUPID at the end of such a long and rigorous day. Lesson learned.
    However, LOTS of contradictory / negative / just plain weird comments (We’re a growth company! We’re very conservative! We’re looking for new ideas! How will you react when I tell you NO? This is NOT a strategic role! I don’t want to bash the company, but….) and some uncomfortable smirks from some folks, Also a VP that shared what is undoubtedly confidential (and probably false) info about a former c-suite emp (!!!), and many odd comments that I believe were supposed to level set expectations regarding the company, culture, growth potential and maybe salary. Be sure and check the reviews here before diving in. Also, just as an FYI, Emeryville is sort of like San Fauxcisco.

Interview Questions

• How will you react when I tell you we can't / won't / aren't going to do things you recommend? Huh?   1 Answer

Customer Sales and Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Art.com (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Applied through a staffing agency, and interviewed by female HR. Easiest interview I've ever been to. Hiring process very straightforward. Very high turnover rate because quality candidates not attracted to position due to low pay.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I first had a phone call with a recruiter, then the hiring manager (which went AWESOME!), who then brought me in for a first round in-person interview with 4 people which (I thought) went really well. I was then given a take-home design challenge which I took the whole weekend to complete, and returned a few days later to meet with 6-7 more people (yes, it was extremely long and exhausting), this time more Senior level. I thought I nailed it, that I was in.

I got a bland rejection email a few days later. I wrote both the recruiter and a separate email to the hiring manager asking for feedback, because I thought it went well, and I seemed to get good feedback on my design challenge. No response from either of them. This made me feel so rejected and hurt, so much so that I refuse to ever work with this company.

Interview Questions

• How are you at selling your ideas? (This scared me, because I realized that you really have to fight for your work. You sell to your boss, he sells to his, and so forth.)   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Started with recruiter phone screen, then moved to a phone screen with a hiring manager. Next stage: onsite interview with 2 team members and a product head. Everyone was pleasant to meet with. The team members described their vision for the future of the team and how they currently collaborate. Overall, everyone was informative and seemed forthcoming with the challenges that the team faced in the past, and how they planned to move forward into the future.

Online Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Interview

One phone interview than an in person where met with the current marketing associate and the director of international sales. Seemed like a pretty demoralized officeplace, kept getting told job visibility was low and work was tedious.

Marketing/Creative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

I applied for a position at Art.com after finding the role on LinkedIn. Within a week of applying, I had a call from the HR team for initial screening. Several days later, the rep called back to schedule an in-person interview for me with 2 team members, one of which I would potentially report to. That went great, and I came back 2 days later to meet more of the team. After that, I took a skills test, and could reach out with specific questions about the role when I had them. Not long after, I was presented with an offer and after a round of negotiation, I accepted.

The people I met with were what really won me over. For me, it's about finding talented people who I want to work with and learn from (ideally, for years to come). Initially, some of the Glassdoor reviews scared me... but I'm glad I gave it a chance because once I got in there, it felt right. I clicked with everyone quite organically, and this just seemed like a perfect fit. From my understanding, this company is building a real "brand" around the basic online store that it's been in the past, and it seems like there are a lot of opportunities for sharp creatives/marketers with knowledge of branding, content, and collaboration.

Interview Questions

• I can't recall a specific one as it was a while back, but I was asked to explain how I'd handle prioritizing workload -- when/how I would reach out to my manager for help, etc. Basic "How well do you juggle?" questions that most creatives or marketers with heavy workloads could answer well.   Answer Question