Asana Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Asana

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Marketing Analytics Manager Interview

Application

I interviewed at Asana in February 2020.

Interview

After applying online, I received a take-home assessment which include SQL questions and data analysis questions. I felt it was a good mix of not too difficult, but at the same time a good gauge of what an marketing analyst/manager should be capable of solving. I appreciated this coming at the very beginning of the process as opposed to after a couple phone screens.

Following the take-home assessment was a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was transparent in where the marketing team was at and what they needed from this role, and asked some analytics/strategy-type questions around theoretical (but realistic) situations.

Ultimately, I didn't move forward after this phone interview, but the hiring manager and recruiter did give me feedback on what prevented me from moving forward in the process, and gave me action items on what I could do to be a better fit for this role down the line. I really appreciated this; as someone who actively uses and enjoys their software, it was encouraging to see how helpful and open they were in the interview process. Even though I didn't get the job, I'm still rooting for them from the sidelines. They have great people running the company.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

Jun 3, 2020

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on your interview experience, so glad it was a positive one. Thanks for taking the time to interview with us!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Asana.

Interview

I originally really wanted to work here, but now my view on the company has changed.

This is my first interview review and I'm doing it to express the negative interview experience I had. The evaluation criteria makes no sense.

1. DS&A problem.
    LC Medium (Completed in 15-20min with optimal complexity.)

2. Open ended oop design question .

The interviewer has a very strict idea of how they want to do things. They will constantly stop you and ask questions when they don't agree with your design. The interviewer changed the question on me midway because they thought my design would not work for a different function even though it that wasn't initially asked for.

I don't agree with asking oop design questions that are connected to a very specific game. Many people are not familiar enough with a game to deliver the desired representation in 30 minutes.
    Unless you spend your time modeling and recreating different kinds of games, you will not pass here. If you have experience playing with the games they ask, you will have a better chance just from familiarity alone.

I doubt these engineers can pass their own criteria for design questions without knowing the problem beforehand.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

Jun 3, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to interview at Asana. We apologize that your interview experience was not a positive one, and we appreciate you sharing your feedback.

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

They were extremely pompous during the interview process. Was left to sit and wait for interviewers. Expect to give an hour long presentation and when you are finished no one provides feedback.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

Jun 3, 2020

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our goal is to be as transparent as possible and ensure that you receive the communications you need from our team, and in this case we fell short.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Asana in June 2020.

Interview

I applied online, and then was reached out to by a recruiter. We setup a phone call and after that we setup a tech phone screen. The phone screen was pretty much what I expected, OOD and algo/ds. I passed the phone screen and heard back the next day that I'd be moving to the onesite. The onsite was a great experience. Everyone was nice and collaborative. I didn't end up getting an offer but I had a great experience and will apply again in the future. I heard back 2 business days after the onsite. The onsite was exactly what I expected it to be, the recruiter should walk you through it.

Customer Success Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Asana in June 2020.

Interview

My interview with Asana was unprofessional, impolite and lacked communication. First, the recruiter cancelled on me. The initial phone screen the recruiter cancelled with no prior notice, no-call and no show. A different recruiter later emailed me, apologized, and informed me that the original recruiter was busy and we would have to reschedule. For a task management software company, this is quite appalling. I am empathetic to critical life events but the recruiter stated that they were busy and that’s why they missed my initial phone screen.
    During the interview, the recruiter seemed involved in other tasks. I was asked standard questions and the recruiter was ready to move to the next round. I interviewed well and the recruiter seemed to be impressed with my background and experience. Unfortunately, I did not progress despite my history and qualifications. I have interviewed numerous candidates and worked in recruiting before so I am well versed in recruiting operations. In retrospective, the whole process seemed like a courtesy interview.
    I know this is a great company but I have never been treated so poorly in my professional career. I truly enjoy working with your products and will continue to work with your products. My hope is that a hiring director sees this, fully addresses the situation (of this case and similar complaints), and takes actionable steps to improve the interviewing and on-boarding process for potential candidates. People are your greatest asset so be kind to them and mindful of their time.

Interview Questions

• How do you navigate ambiguity when processes are not clearly defined?   1 Answer

Marketing Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

An HR person asked me to do an assignment, and after I did it, she didn't bother responding for multiple weeks. I applied online. The HR person emailed me a 1-hour timed online assignment that involved a SQL challenge and data analysis and recommendations component.

I put in the effort to complete this assignment on the same day it was given to me. 1 week passed, and I didn't hear back. 2 weeks passed, and I didn't hear back. I then emailed the HR person, and she didn't respond. Two days later I emailed her again, and I got an Out-Of-Office response, which included the email address of another person. I emailed him, and I got another Out-Of-Office response.

Ultimately, he emailed me saying that he has no update, that they're getting a lot of interest for their open roles, and he hopes I'll hear back soon. The next day, the first HR person sent me a generic email saying that after grading my assignment, they're moving forward with other candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone screen with a recruiter. Was then set up for a 1 hour technical phone screen. The phone screen consisted of standard algorithm and OOP questions. I feel the interview could have been better run and was not the smoothest I've encountered by far. In addition I never received a follow up from the company following the interview which I find highly unprofessional and seems inconsistent with the company's reputation.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

Jun 3, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to interview at Asana. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us as it helps us improve our processes going forward.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Asana.

Interview

The interview process was very quick and efficient. I applied online and received a response in less than a week to speak with the hiring manager. There were two rounds of virtual on-site interviews and I spoke with 6 interviewers total. The recruiter and coordinator were very responsive and hand-held me through the process from beginning to end. The interviewers were very polite, and every single one seemed incredibly motivated and love working at Asana (from OG's to recent hires). There seems to be an emphasis on not only hiring intelligent candidates with the right background to fulfill a business need, but also the right mindset and attitude to effectively work in a collaborative culture.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time when you had to collaborate with other cross-functional teams to execute a project against deadlines or drive positive outcomes for the business?   Answer Question

Jun 3, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to interview with us and providing feedback on your experience. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

Recruiter call, technical screen (discuss algorithm process)

Virtual Onsite (multiple engineers) where it was algorithmic problem solving (LC medium), and a do-alone technical coding exercise where the specs were given and candidate is then left to complete in person, with a review shortly after.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had conflict with teammates   1 Answer
    • Implement an ASCII printer   1 Answer

Jun 3, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to interview at Asana. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me and scheduled a call. I was then scheduled for a technical screen with one of the engineers. I was asked two questions. As there was no NDA, I am revealing the questions.

1) Verify if a tree is a BST
    2) Jigsaw puzzle

I answered both but got a standard rejection email the next day without any proper feedback. I had mentioned that I had seen the questions before, and the interviewer was OK with it. I was really looking forward to work with a growing company like Asana, but I am not sure why I got rejected. It would be great if you can provide some kind of feedback to the candidates which will help them in their job hunt. :)

Interview Questions

Asana Response

Jun 3, 2020

Our goal is to be as transparent as possible and ensure that you receive the communications you need from our team. Thank you for sharing your feedback and taking the time to interview at Asana.

Infrastructure Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana in May 2020.

Interview

I was referred by a former coworker, and the process moved swiftly from there. Chatted with a recruiter first, then moved to a technical screen.

The technical screen consisted of a system design question alongside a bit of coding. The interviewer was communicative and let me lead for the most part, but asked clarifying questions when needed. It was a smooth interaction and I felt it was a fair evaluation.

After the phone screen, an onsite was scheduled, and the recruiter gave me feedback on desired changes to my approach. They said they wanted me to be more collaborative with the interviewer, check in with them more regarding their opinion, and provide more options for potential design before moving forward. In short, make decisions together and move slower.

The onsite consisted of a longer coding challenge, a few system design challenges, and a behavioral interview. I applied the feedback I had received and slowed my design process down, made the design decisions collaborative, and checked in frequently to get their commentary. The questions took a bit of thinking, but there was nothing unreasonable asked. Though the onsite technical interviewers were less personable than the one from the phone screen, they were all polite and professional.

The day after, I received a voicemail from the recruiter to tell me they were not moving forward, but the decision was close. They shared that I did not drive the system design questions forward enough on my own. This was a frustrating outcome because it feels like the recruiter tanked my onsite with bad feedback.

I would recommend taking the feedback from the recruiter with a grain of salt if you advance to the onsite from the phone screen. If you got to the next stage, you should probably stick with what got you there.

Interview Questions

Asana Response