Asana Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 425 of over 425 interviews

3.1
HardAverageEasy

Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in Aug 2021

Interview

My interview process at Asana was by far the most organized, encouraging, and enjoyable interview process that I have been a part of. I was reached out to by a recruiter via Linkedin message, asking me if I was interesting in any careers at Asana. I sent over two job descriptions that interested me, and was followed up with almost immediately by that recruiter to say that I would be getting an interview for one of them - he mentioned that Asana likes to see you follow through on an interview process for one role, but if you move through that process and it isn't the right fit, there is an opportunity to reapply internally for another position. Luckily for me, the position I was most interested in was the one that I received an interview for. I was then sent an email from my recruiter, Allen to set up a phone screen. Allen, by the way, is BY FAR the most amazing and proactive recruiter I have ever had the pleasure of working with, big kudos to Asana for doing an incredible job in bringing him into the organization. Allen is truly one of the major reasons I felt such confidence in ultimately accepting this role. We talked a bit about my background in this phone screen, and set expectations in regards to salary up front, which I appreciated. Following that call I was scheduled to speak with the hiring manager for the role. That call was around 30-45 minutes where we dove more deeply into the role and what the team was looking for. The hiring manager (now my to-be manager) was extremely conversational, and really made the interview feel enjoyable. She was also extremely transparent about what the responsibilities would look like, and what the rest of the interview process would look like. I felt that after this interview I had a strong sense of what my time in this role would look like, both short and long term. Following that call I had the opportunity to speak to a panel of four people on the growth marketing team, including the hiring manager that I had spoken to previously. I had a 30 minute window at the beginning in which to present a case study to the panel, followed by four 1-1 interviews with the panelists. My interviews with the panelists were split over two days so they were not too overwhelming. Everyone on the team was not only so intelligent and driven, but also incredibly nice and encouraging. I really felt that I connected on a professional and personal level with all of my interviewers. Following that panel I was set up to chat with a higher level marketing manager (my hiring manager's manager). This was a 30 minute call where we talked more specifically about ideas I had for the team based on my previous interviews. Again, this was an extremely enjoyable interview that was very conversational and strategy focused. I did not feel interrogated at all, as is common sometimes when chatting with more executive level team members at an organization. Throughout this entire process my recruiter Allen checked in with me virtually every day. He called to give me regular updates in regards to the feedback I was getting on my interviews, the timing for finding out about next steps, and to get an understand of how my interviews with other companies were going. He was extremely proactive and helpful in regards to understanding what other offers I was getting, and what would ultimately make Asana the most compelling package. Based on the other offers that I had, Allen was so helpful in sticking his neck out for me in order to get me the best offer possible. When I countered my initial offer, he came back with an even more compelling offer than I initially countered for (he is just the type of recruiter that wants to see candidates succeed). There was no doubt in my mind, that even though I had some extremely compelling offers, Asana was the place I wanted to be. This company is not only extremely organized, and has so much growth ahead of it, but also truly prioritizes mental health and employee growth, and wants the candidates going through the interview process to have the most positive experience possible. I am so excited to join this team soon!

Interview Questions
  • I signed an NDA so I will not say, but there were no trick questions. Just be your authentic self, and if you know your stuff, you should be completely fine. Something that I felt gave me a potential leg up was looking into my interviewers backgrounds and asking them questions that enabled me to get a better understanding of them holistically. Ultimately, I was able to a get a great sense of the team members this way and have more genuine conversations.
    Answer Question

Asana

Application

I interviewed at Asana

Interview

Phone interview and then technical interview. Was very easy to talk to the interviewer and we got to know each other within the interview. Pretty straight forward interview nothing too crazy.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about Asana

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Asana

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Asana in Jan 2022

Interview

HR Contacted me via LinkedIn. Talked to Recruiter and the zoom technical screen is scheduled. On the day of the Tech Screen, Interviewer never showed up. Followed up with the HR team. No response. They ghosted me.

Interview Questions
  • Only the Initial HR Screen. General Discussion, prior to scheduling the zoom tech screen.

Asana

Application

I interviewed at Asana

Interview

The first round was a normal recruiter screening which was casual and a good conversation. The second round was a coding challenge. The process specified that the challenge could be done in any language, but unfortunately they asked me to do it in SQL, whilst I only use Python + PySpark at work. Had I known, I would have brushed up my SQL beforehand. The coding challenge would've been easier in SQL, but I chose to use python as I was thrown off by the surprise. As a result, there were quite a few difficulties because of the query-type nature of the question. If I were to go back again, I'd give it a shot in SQL rather. Or pyspark, but they didn't let me do that. Feedback to recruiters / interviewers: Don't surprise us like this!

Interview Questions
  • First round: Normal recruiter screening Second round: Coding challenge
3 people found this interview helpful

Asana

Application

I interviewed at Asana

Interview

The interview with Asana was a great experience overall. I met with a panel of people one after another and I could tell from the start that the interview was very well organized and thought out as not one interviewer repeated any question.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time you had to teach someone a new process or tool.
2 people found this interview helpful

Asana

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Asana

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. Had phone call with recruiter. Then later scheduled a technical phone screen. The recruiter was terrible, I had to reach out to get updates on the next steps each time. Worst recruitment experience I have had. My advice is don’t waste your time, they don’t seem to take candidates seriously even if they reach out to you first.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in Dec 2021

Interview

By far once of the most well-organized and thoughtful interview processes that I've been a part of First Round: normal recruiter screening centered around my background and what I was looking for in my career Second Round: hiring manager chat for the most part focused on background and skills that I've worked with in the past/currently Take-Home Challenge: very straightforward SQL challenge based on potential problems that Marketing team solves on daily basis Onsite: take-home assignment and presentation followed by 3 back-to-back conversations with hiring managers and potential team members I'd be working with; take-home assignment was very open-ended and centered around making recommendations based on data; onsite conversations with rest of team were centered around assessing business acumen, analytical, communication, and collaboration skills; I also had a separate opportunity to chat with a member of Asana's internal ERGs to get a feel for the culture at the company Recruiter was incredibly transparent with next steps and timelines throughout the process; she'd follow up with any questions I had and made sure I felt prepared the entire way Unfortunately, I didn't get the job but no doubt would love the opportunity to work at Asana in the future based on the experience I had

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Asana

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Asana in Dec 2021

Interview

I had a referral from a friend and the recruiter got back to me very quickly. After an initial call we scheduled a 2 hour technical interview, which included a full hour to work and a code review at the end. The remote onsite consisted of a behavioral interview with one of the hiring managers and then 3 design/coding interviews that focused on slightly different areas. Everyone was engaging, smart, and easy to talk to. It was a good interview process and seemed like a great place to work, but unfortunately I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Asana

Application

I interviewed at Asana

Interview

The PM who was interviewing me asked Product Design questions, then moved into a hypothetical decision/product launch question. I got a feeling that the interviewer didn't want to be there and was rushing to wrap up. The interviewer was fairly new as a PM with Asana and deflected most of the questions that I asked at the end - 'Reach out to recruiter for details on ...'

Interview Questions
  • Take a deep dive into one of your most challenging products or features you shipped and why?

Asana

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Asana

Interview

Extremely unprofessional interview process and a total waste of time. Had an initial call with the hiring manager that went quite well. Then got set up with an interview panel of a few folks on the team. Got asked pretty standard behavioral questions but 2 out of the 3 interviewers were completely distracted and not listening to me at all. Felt like I was talking to myself. After the interviews got completely ghosted until I had to reach out to my recruiter, recruiting coordinator, and even the hiring manager! Then received an email from the recruiter the next day with a canned rejection. I don't care if I'm not a good fit for the role or didn't get the job whatever reason but at least act professional during the interviews and get back to me in a timely manner. Really got the sense that they feel like they are doing you a favor by having you interview with them. Just horrible.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Asana

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Asana

Interview

Interview process itself was pretty standard. Would recommend looking at other reviews for the standard product questions you will get like "design an uber for kids." However, got all the way to the offer stage and then they ghosted me and continued to make 'empty' promises about additional roles. I found it extremely unprofessional and disorganized to manage their interview process in that way. I would definitely wave a caution to other candidates to not totally trust them and be wary of when to leave your company if you receive an offer.

Interview Questions
  • 1. Design an uber for kids 2. What apps do you love and why? 3. If the success metrics were going down with xyz feature what would you consider?
4 people found this interview helpful