Asana Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

Sort:

Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall standard and well outlined. Phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with manager, 4 in person interviews, lunch with a co-worker, and then a final call from the head of the team afterward.

Asana really takes transparency to heart, so the recruiter told me everyones opinions on my interviews. Looping up with the team afterward, and the information the recruiter game me was spot on.

My advice to anyone coming into the Asana interview funnel: Ask loads of questions to your recruiter and the people who are conducting the interview. They'll be happy to tell you lots about the company, interview process, and team (more than other companies, trust me).

Interview Questions

• How do you think marketing asana is different from marketing [current company]?
      What is one thing that Asana isn't doing right now that it should be?   Answer Question

Sep 7, 2016 – Management Consultant, Recruiting Marketing

Thanks so much for your feedback and advice to future candidates. We're glad you joined the team.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Asana in November 2014.

Interview

I originally applied through their website, and they reached out to me fairly very quickly. Then, there was an online coding challenge that was somewhat difficult and was completed within 30 minutes. After, there was a phone screen. Finally, there was an onsite interview that consisted of 4 interviews and a coding section.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

One of the best processes I have seen compared to many companies. It's decently rigorous and they do take extra care before hiring. I had 2 phone calls before the on-site rounds. 2 Phone calls were supposed to be direct screens, had to clear both of them individually. On site, I had a pair interview, a coding test, and one more one-on-one interview. All coding ranging from Data structures, Algos, System Design to OOP, as well as some mathematical stuff. I didn't get past these rounds, had I got one, I would have had one more session of on-site interviews. The interviews were all taken by senior members of the team, but were good insightful questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

There was an online coding challenge and 5 rounds of onsite interviews. There was lunch, and coding hour on a computer. The people there are very nice and professional. I think most of them are as smart as me, if not smarter.

Interview Questions

• 1. Some algorithm and data structure questions
      2. OO Design question
      3. Database design and optimization   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Online Coding test, then HR contacted me to schedule phone interview. Then I proceeded to an onsite. The HR representative was friendly and did everything pretty quickly and even gave feedback as to why I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• Online Coding test - Print array in spiral
      Technical Phone Interivew - BST, LRU, Find nth closest point question
      Onsite: Interviewed with 6 Engineers. 4 whiteboard questions and 3 coding questions   Answer Question

Jul 13, 2015 – Management Consultant, Recruiting Marketing

Thank you for submitting feedback on your interview experience, we really appreciate it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Definitely one of the worst phone interviews I have ever had to endure. Unfortunately, I was assigned an interviewer (one of their engineers) who was not only a very poor communicator, but also somewhat impatient, aggressive, and egotistical. Out of the dozens of technical interviews I have done in the past, this one was by far the worst, as it left me feeling small and humiliated.

Granted, I made a couple of mistakes during the interview, but I have never seen another interviewer handle the situation more poorly than this guy. He started to sound frustrated and to lose interest in answering my questions about the company. Worst of all, I don't think said interviewer was aware he was a poor communicator...I had a lot of trouble understanding him, as he couldn't really express himself clearly. How am I supposed to complete the coding challenge when I could hardly understand him? Also, on the parts I did get right, there was no positive feedback; I was grilled until I reached another dead end, which would have been fine if it didn't feel so much like this interviewer basically already had his mind set regarding my candidacy and was just bent on proving himself right.

At the end of the day, this incident is quite an embarrassment for Asana, as it looks like they've failed to train their engineers to conduct interviews with professionalism. This particular engineer's behavior was shockingly unprofessional and contrasted sharply with the values Asana purports to embrace. What a shame.

Interview Questions

Asana Response

May 28, 2015 – Head of Talent

Thank you for sharing your experience interviewing at Asana. Your review helped spark a refreshed dialogue around candidate experience here at Asana, and yesterday our co-Founder Justin Rosenstein... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their website, about a week later they send me an online coding challenge, I passed because I saw the question on Glassdoor and then was arranged an HR interview and Technical phone screen back to back. HR interview was standard, asked things like your background etc and what you want to get out of most in your next job, then described that once pass the tech phone screen next step would be an onsite interview. During the tech phone screen the interviewer asked exactly the same questions that was posted here. Since I studied all those topics I thought I answered them ok. But received rejection the following week. However the people were very nice throughout the process and the person from HR even offered to provide the feedback from the interview via phone or email.

Interview Questions

• Online Coding Challenge: How to spirally traverse through a matrix?   1 Answer
    • Phone: What is a Binary tree and how to do you check it is a balanced tree?   1 Answer
    • How to design a cache?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, NM) in January 2015.

Interview

first HR phone call for a couple of behavior questions, then technical phone interview for 45 min, onsite after one week for 3-4 hrs. Good company, the next facebook to be

Interview Questions

• 1. serialize XML
      2. sorting a DAG
      3. an array, how to get result of product of each element except for the selected element
      e.g [1 2 3 4 5] query 3, get the result of 1*2*4*5, can't use division
      4. synchronization problem:
      given an ordered list, there are two instructions to the server, e.g. move 2 after 4, reverse 4 and 5, if the server has some delay, how to design the protocol to process these queries   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Asana (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and went through a phone screen soon after with a congenial HR person, the technical challenge sent afterwards was of middling difficulty... but it was fun-ish! See the interview questions portion for clues that I think might help you. I did not get to move onto onsite, but I really fumbled the coding challenge. I would try to apply again in the future.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Asana in October 2015.

Interview

The recruiter is very kind, she replied very soon after I submit my resume at a career fair held by Tech Inclusion in SF. After they reviewed my resume, they sent me a coding challenge. The question is spiral matrix. After this, I got a phone interview with both the recruiter and an engineer. The technical interview part didn't ask you to code but explaining the solution. You have to talk about your idea and the time complexity of it. They will ask you to improve it if it's not the best solution.

Interview Questions

• Valid Binary Search Tree
      LRU