Asana Reviews

Updated Jan 24, 2021

4.9
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz
Pros
  • "Truly a place where you can have a strong work/life balance(in 30 reviews)

• "Extremely mindful culture focused on doing things right(in 27 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Inspiring mission, incredible market opportunity, & so much growth"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel incredibly lucky to work at Asana. I've never worked at a company like it before - it is truly unique in how it runs its business and how a phrase like "people-first" manifests into something extraordinary. I've been at Asana for less than 2 years and huge growth opportunities have been presented to me numerous times to a point where my role today looks completely different than what it did when I started. I've also raised my hand when I've seen something that needs to be changed, and been given the trust and responsibility to drive the change and solve it in a holistic, forward-thinking way. It's hard to quantify or explain the level of support Asana has for its employees growth and wellbeing. From day one, I have enjoyed free executive coaching, numerous opportunities to enter manager trainings and bootcamps that are on fundamental management skills, Conscious Leadership Group training, support to attend conferences that I feel will support my career goals, networking opportunities, and so much more. One thing that is undersold is the fundamental practicality and utility of the Asana platform. We use Asana internally end to end and I truly cannot imagine working anywhere that doesn't have Asana. It is just SO much easier to get work done, you actually have space to grow and do the work that you want to do that has the highest impact. I've never felt more committed to a product in my career.

Cons

The pace of change at Asana is very quick and it requires strong self-direction, flexibility, and comfort with ambiguity. Asana didn't always operate with such high velocity, and there can sometimes be internal misalignment with people who have been working at the company for several years vs. people who have joined in the last 2-3 years. This is much better than it was even 6 months ago, and continues to improve as the company grows and scales its values and beliefs across all its offices.

Continue reading

Asana Response

June 22, 2020Talent team

We're the lucky ones! So appreciative of you sharing your experience here, and grateful that your experience has been positive and full of personal and professional growth (as we like it!) Keep the feedback coming, we're always looking forward to co-creating solutions with our employees.

2. "Forever an Asana"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't imagine working anywhere else. This company truly cares about its people, product/mission, and culture

Cons

Growing fast and things are changing all the time and sometimes there is little direction

3. "You can really concentrate on getting your job done and trust everyone else to do theirs"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compassionate culture, that is very employee growth oriented, high levels of trust across the board.

Cons

I can't think of any

4. "A wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Asana has an extraordinarily welcoming community. Everyone is supportive and encouraging of one another.

Cons

I don't have any complaints!

5. "Mindful Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Asana is an amazing place to work. I really enjoyed the people, the culture, the processes, and the product. It was always super clear who was doing what by when. I will always take a few "tricks" with me to future workplaces that I learned at Asana.

Cons

Equanimity is big at Asana, and while everyone was always so respectful and kind, and there was very little drama, it was also very hard to be vulnerable there. I worked there for over two years and didn't really make any strong connections. Everyone was always so "professional."

6. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

They actually care about their employees, care about diversity, and is generally an awesome place to work.

Cons

none that I know of currently

7. "Great place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

Great compensation and terrific mentoring

Cons

I really don't have any

8. "great"

Current Employee - Lead SDA in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana part-time

Pros

great at times when I wanted to work

Cons

slow when it was the slow season

"Inspiring"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

Fantastic people, fantastic product, fantastic commitment to each other. Dustin is the real MVP.

Cons

If you're looking for meaningful work, this is sorta one step removed. It may be high-leverage, but it doesn't directly contribute to many of our modern-world challenges.

10. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work - Very Few Complaints"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been at Asana full time for 2.5 years and the company has changed a lot in that time, but has always held on to an identity and remained a great place to work. It went from a charming smaller size with more personal relationships across the company to a really well-managed and healthy mid-size company. It's a different company than it was when I started (and I can't even imagine what it was like 5+ years ago), but I still love it here nonetheless. At the end of the day, Asana is still a job. I won't act like working a corporate job is my passion in life or grants me existential fulfillment, but it's where I'm at in life right now and there isn't any other company I'd rather be. + The company has a strong product in an explosive market. The revenue model is simple and effective, with the company experiencing a lot of growth in the last several years. + Leadership is incredibly competent. I have immense trust in their decision making abilities. Communication is transparent and honest. Leadership looks out for employees financially. + Great facilities. Not as relevant with COVID, but Asana work space is awesome. Amazing food and cozy space, and it'll only get better. + Culture of trust and accountability. Most people at Asana are kind and compassionate folk who will trust you by default. Asana is a great place to take on challenges and organically grow your responsibility. Individuals are held accountable in a positive way where success is celebrated and failure is met with a non-personal and improvement-oriented mindset. Asana gets away with this because our high hiring bar. + Inclusive. Asana strives to ensure groups are represented fairly across the org. As a white man it's really refreshing to get to work with so many non-male/PoC coworkers. + W/L balance. Asana does a really good job at encouraging (and sometimes enforcing) employee health through PTO and general cultural norms. Free food means more free time outside of work. Special circumstances are accommodated for as managers tend to be really invested in keeping you happy. + Compensation. Asana maintains a strong mission but still ensures employees are compensated fairly and competitively.

Cons

- Cross-org communication can be difficult. Eng tends to be a relatively self-contained entity in the company which means cross-functional efforts tend to incur some friction - Typical high-growth growing pains. Culture changes and relationships become more team-oriented instead of company-oriented. I think Asana handles this well but it can be jarring if you aren't at peace with the lifecycle of company cultures. - (Nit) Occasionally leadership comms (especially from HR) can feel infantilizing as there's a distinct "fake extreme kind" dialect that can come through from time to time.

Continue reading