Asana Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great focus on work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Healthy, delicious meals are prepared by our in-house culinary team using top quality ingredients (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • While the flat structure can be empowering, it can also be overwhelming sometimes, especially to people with less experience (in 4 reviews)

• It can take some getting used to for newer people (in 4 reviews)

1. "I feel like Asana is setting me up for success on work I care about"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

There's so much I like about Asana (culture, interesting technical challenges, lots of autonomy/responsibility). The one I like the most is the relationship between managers and reports: they act as coaches, and most of their role is figuring out how to improve their report's lives. As an individual contributor, my manager has spent a considerable amount of time working with me to define my interests, and then found opportunities which allow me to learn about and deepen my experience in those areas.

Cons

The company has a pretty unusual way they distribute responsibility. This works really well in certain cases (e.g. as a new employee I was given some responsibility early), but does sometimes make decision making a bit harder than if it were top down (which has different tradeoffs).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "Nicest people I've ever worked with"

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone (including the Executive staff) is very approachable. Asana is the most open and diverse company I've worked for. They do really care about employees.

Cons

The flat org structure can take a little getting used-to, coming from a regimental corporation. It isn't a con, per se, if you're driven and know what you want out of your career.

Advice to Management

You've done well building a culture of inclusion. Please continue to focus on that and not lose focus of it as the company grows.

3. "Truly wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons to love working here, but here are a few:
    - Incredible colleagues, who are both very talented and very humble. People are very interested in helping each other out, collaborating, etc. And they're also super chill.
    - Very high degree of transparency across just about everything, except the most sensitive of matters like compensation
    - Strong focus on personal and professional growth, including a very active internal mentorship program, where many people seek to learn skills outside of their function (or within it) from other employees
    - Great perks and benefits, including yoga classes multiple times every weekday, completely covered health insurance, very generous parental leave, untracked PTO, etc
    - Culinary team that cooks 3 meals a day for us 5 days a week (except dinner on Fridays). Delicious, healthy food, that's well-sourced.
    - Strong emphasis on work/life balance, and taking a good amount of vacation time, which the cofounders both advocate for.

I work on the Data Science team, whose mission is to generally support almost all teams across the org to help them make better decisions and to inform their direction. We want to understand our userbase and product usage so that we can help people be more successful and continue to lower the friction.

Because overall our company goal is to enable humanity to be collectively more efficient in its collaborative efforts by making it effortless to organize and execute on their work. If we can make people 20%, or 40% more efficient, we can collectively accomplish a much greater amount.

Cons

There definitely are times where it feels like we're moving more slowly than I would like, though it's hard to find balance between moving quickly and moving thoughtfully towards the right solution.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

4. "Great product with an even better culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Big emphasis on balancing code debt with feature development
    - Lots of autonomy given to engineers in implementing and leading projects
    - Decision making doesn't feel very top-down because of involvement of engineers in product planning
    - Managers tend to focus on helping you identify and grow in directions you want, so it's entirely possible to focus on technical excellence rather than management
    - Healthy, delicious meals are prepared by our in-house culinary team using top quality ingredients
    - Doesn't feel like the company is growing too fast to maintain culture

Cons

I wish we focussed more on longer-running projects, but I suppose that comes with the territory of being a pretty small engineering team

"Truly awesome"

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I tend to be skeptical about "too good to be true" things, so I came in with somewhat tempered expectations. However, this turned out to be completely unjustified. The great company culture at Asana isn't just hype, it's real.

There are many great things that have been cultivated at the Asana work environment but perhaps more important than the particulars is the process through which such a great environment has developed. Developing a great work environment and culture is not just something that is paid lip service to, but something that is actively focused on in every decision made.

Some of the details that particularly appeal to me though:

Your manager isn't there to dictate what you do, but to support you in becoming a better engineer and achieving your own goals. Employee growth isn't one-track either - there are several different areas in which an employee can grow, and depending on the employee's particular personality, they can choose to grow broadly or focus on a few areas where they'd like to grow in their role.

The coworkers are a really great group of people. All the engineers are extremely talented and smart, and many have backgrounds at places like Google, Facebook, and Dropbox, but you'll also meet various engineers from a non-traditional background as well (such as a music major who worked for Hans Zimmer once). People at Asana are extremely supportive and inviting. I hypothesize the employees here are nicer from the outset due to being a self-selected group (since the work culture appealed to them), but the positive and collaborative environment also brings out the best in everyone - I've certainly noticed this happen for myself.

The engineering team is still small enough that as an engineer you can work on the core frameworks running the product, whether they be on Android or iOS, web client, or on the server., on such things as the data model, pub-sub system for reactivity, or client datastore.

Perhaps best of all is the opportunity to work on a product that is experiencing rapid user growth (particularly for the enterprise market) and is beloved by its users. It's really encouraging to look at tweets to @asana on and see how much users love the product and the company.

Cons

It always feels like there is so much more that we could add to the product if only we had more engineers, but we're stuck prioritizing because of basic constraints due to the number of engineers. We're actively growing the engineering team but it's a tight market, particularly for the very talented engineers that Asana selects for. The flip side is that that Asana is focusing on sustainable growth is likely to achieve profitability sooner rather than later due to revenue growth outpacing spending growth.

There are internal levels and salary bands used by the compensation people to ensure pay is fair and equitable, but employees don't have direct insight into what level they're considered internally. All that employees know is their salary and stock grants. This means less direct transparency as to how the company views you and whether your own perception of your growth as an employee matches that of the company. The thinking is that this will cause employees to focus more on holistic growth, but I'm not sure it's worth the lack of transparency in an otherwise very transparent organization.

Location is a bit of a walk from BART and rather far from the nearest Caltrain station. It is, however, right off of the freeway. This may be more of a short term factor though, as the main office will probably have to move to a new building in the coming years due to expansion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and continue the work on targeting large enterprise companies in addition to the bottom-up user-growth we currently have.

"Asana brought the best out of me and I've never been happier in my career"

Current Employee - Product/Engineering
    Current Employee - Product/Engineering

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

No egos and staying honest to each other. As a result, the culture helps minimize politics and make everyone focus on working together to solve real problems. People are very intrinsically motivated since they feel empowered to speak up and just go ahead to get s* done. Nobody tells you what you should do nor do you need to seek several layers of approval to do anything. On the other hand, there's massive amounts of support from your peers to help you succeed. We are a community of peers who strive to learn from each other and help each other succeed. This all trickles down from the founders who act as examples by being humble, intellectually curious, reflective and taking 100% responsibility. In my entire career, I've never seen the CEO of the company get publicly challenged by employees (in a respectful way) and, instead of shutting people down, patiently explain reasons behind hard decisions and admit things that can be done in a better way. There is a feeling that Asana is invincible and we can accomplish anything together. This is possible because of our strong culture and mature leadership. Oh, and work life balance, compensation and perks are great too!

Cons

A very empowering culture makes it hard to scale the company. As we grow, it's not surprising to that confusion of roles is starting to happen. Despite being an egalitarian yet anti-consensus culture, chinks in the armor are starting to show with people not clear with who calls the shots for certain decisions. We are being very honest about this though and working hard to improve our system.

Advice to Management

Dustin, stop flying economy. You're a billionaire and it's okay to fly business once in a while!

"Fantastic organization from hiring through employment"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

This is one of the best companies I have ever been hired at or worked for. From the very beginning, Annalise and the entire recruiting experience was phenomenal. The on-boarding was SO thorough and I truly enjoy my day-to-day. It's a great company with a proven business model and talented and super smart colleagues.

Cons

My commute is a little long, but that's about it (and I feel silly even including that as a con).

8. "Exceeds the Hype"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Asana is the best place I have ever worked. We use Asana for almost everything so you can see what everyone is working on. I work with some of the the smartest/most well qualified people I have ever met. Even though everyone has incredible backgrounds everyone is open to ideas from even the newest most junior employees.

The culinary team is the best. I have never had so many trendy vegetables in my life. Romanesco, chard, kale, types of squash you have never heard of... everyday. It's amazing

If you want to work somewhere where you can have a real impact and be appreciated for the work you do then Asana is the place for you

Cons

We only get meals 5 days a week :D

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Mindful culture, great company - not a fit for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool product - creates a lot of efficiencies
    Very thoughtfully built culture
    Nice SF office
    Amazing culinary team

Cons

Product can be more of a nice to have and requires a lot of buy-in across organizations - sometimes doesn't stick
    Company leans engineering heavy and that's a big part of the culture with many introverted employees. Can be a challenge fitting in for someone more used to a business/sales culture.
    There's a lot to like about Asana but it can be a different type of work environment where you need to drink the Kool-aid and there is a little weirdness to it all (can also be a pro depending on your personality)

"Not too good to be true"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a natural skeptic. When I read the reviews, I immediately thought, "If something seems to good to be true, it probably is." I couldn't be happier to have been so wrong.

Cons

There aren't breakfast potatoes frequently enough. Honestly, that's the worst part.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.