Asana Reviews | Glassdoor

Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They are having some size-based growing pains (in 5 reviews)

• Sometimes decision making takes too long (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Feels like a perfect time to be at Asana"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technical challenges: Back when I first considered working at Asana, I was skeptical if there would be interesting engineering challenges given what I knew about the product. I was completely wrong - the work here has been the most fun work I've ever done. Asana is at a point where scaling further has required challenging previous foundational technical decisions, opening the way for engineers to get involved in architecting better solutions that will affect the company for years to come.

Impact: I've never worked at a place where my impact felt so apparent. Teams set KRs that directly relate to top-level company objectives, and almost every piece of work you do is in service of some KR. Its success is measured against these criteria, and teams are really good at consistently recognizing and celebrating every accomplishment and the people behind it.

Culture: Lots to love, but my favorite aspect is probably the feedback culture that exists. No one says "not my problem, hopefully someone else will do it"; either they lead the way to fix it, or they seek out the most capable team / people to solve it and provide that feedback directly to them. This is critical in surfacing issues before they are serious problems and has been extremely helpful in allowing the company to scale without many things falling through the cracks.

Food: The meals at Asana are well beyond "perk" level - they're delicious, healthy, and always so different from day to day. I love that everyone eats in the same place and that the standard is to grab a seat at one of the big tables and share a meal with whoever happens to be there.

Mission: When you use Asana (the product) the way Asana (the company) uses it, it becomes immediately evident how powerful of a tool it is for fostering better communication and planning, and in general just enabling an individual to be more connected to what's going on in the company. It's exciting to be a part of making it even better, and to be helping our customers achieve the same.

Cons

You can gain a lot of responsibility really quickly at Asana if you aren't careful about saying "no". It's not hard to get yourself in a situation where you have multiple things that urgently need your attention.

The system used to evaluate employees is a little opaque, which can be uncomfortable when you're used to a system with clear levels and clear responsibilities attached to those levels.

Advice to Management

I know there is active work to add more structure to employee responsibilities, expectations, and evaluation - continue it.

Otherwise, keep up the great work! Asana is an awesome place to work.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great culture
    - Amazing food
    - Smart coworkers

Cons

- Open-office floorplan
    - Occasionally strange engineering choices

3. "Best job I'll ever have"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging problems to solve, emphasis on learning, culture that encourages work life balance, incredible amounts of autonomy for individual contributors, managers that serve as mentors and advocates, respectful and intentional community

Cons

Location is not the nicest part of the Mission, I anticipate growing pains as we continue to get bigger (not the worst problem to have...)

"Fellow humans"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Asana has a delicate balance of healthy idealism and well defined realism. The company's culture is strong and understands what work needs to be done and how it should be done. There's no subterfuge or politicking to get the work done, either, just... actual work.

Cons

The location could be nicer, really, but the major con here is that sometimes we lose sight of our overall goals. Ostensibly, we're all here to help humanity thrive (which is Asana's mission statement), but sometimes this falls through the cracks of getting whatever's in front of us done and out the door.

Advice to Management

Contribute more to the local community! San Francisco needs a lot of help and love, especially the homeless that surround every public transit path and street to Asana's office.

5. "Culinary Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Asana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-amazing product
    -even more amazing people
    -great benefits

Cons

-HQ is in SF and cost of living is high

6. "Software Engineer at Asana"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Three healthy and tasty meals a day, awesome views of the city, free yoga classes, the satisfaction of building a product that you use everyday, transparency by default across the company, extremely interesting learning talks from peers

Cons

It's an open floor plan, so sometimes it can be hard to focus. Fortunately there is an entire "quiet floor" for focused work.

"Asana sometimes feels more comfortable than my own home"

Current Employee - Content Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Content Writer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

—Asana is a workplace, community, and family. There is a lot of trust around the work we do, and the way we interact with each other versus backstabbing, politics, and intentional miscommunication. My team really feels like a team.
    —Asana treats you as a human first, then employee. From the amazing benefits package (best health insurance of my life!), to the other-worldly perks (culinary team should get a Michelin star), there is also the expectation that you enjoy them and take advantage of them. They are realistic about the lives employees lead outside of work, and care about them. I've never been expected to
    —Empowerment is real. If I don't like what I'm doing, I can say so and expect a change; if I want to learn something new, it's as easy as scheduling a meeting; if I question what we're doing, I can ask and expect answers; if I want to say my real opinion, I can, and not fear the consequences; if I point out something crummy for women in the workplace, it's taken seriously. Sometimes you will be your biggest obstacle at work.
    —We take what we do seriously. From the facilities team, to customer success, everybody is so intelligent, motivated, and curious about what they do. This is a really talented work force that's very passionate about Asana.

Cons

—We tout diversity but there are still many teams that play into exactly what you would expect (leadership is almost exclusively male; sales is very white male heavy; still not enough women in product; Latino/a/x's are virtually nonexistent).
    —There are many aspects of our culture that will not scale as we continue to grow, making it feel a little more like a traditional B2B SaaS workplace in some respects. Granted, we're still way ahead of the game, but at 500, 750, 1000 employees, I don't know that I'll come to work with the same "family" feel that I have now.
    —We're still figuring out how to operate between HQ and two remote offices. We're much more accommodating than before and move quickly to make improvements, but there's still strain and pain in working with and from remote offices.
    —We're really great at planning (e.g., roadmap week) but in the day-to-day, we aren't as good at managing priorities, incoming work, and making sure we're tackling the most important things. Maybe this is different for other teams, but for mine, there's more work to do.
    —Still engineering-centric in certain regards that can make Business/Ops teams feel less prioritized. But I think we're making improvements.

Advice to Management

—Continue to diversify management, but in the meantime, get more involved in internal efforts and discussions around these things. It speaks magnitudes to see management at diversity events from time to time.

8. "Asana is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are very smart and kind, and they genuinely want each other and the business to succeed. Perks are great, and there is a lot of transparency across the organization (business goals, growth, etc). Very supportive of working parents.

Cons

Can sometimes suffer from a bit of meeting fatigue here (depends on the team). While I love being in San Francisco, the neighborhood is not great, so I rarely leave the office.

9. "A great company and a great place to work"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Smart, friendly coworkers who collaborate together as one team
    -Excellent onboarding and mentoring
    -Strong focus on work/life balance
    -Excellent meals

Cons

-They could always do better with diversity

10. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Focus on mindful growth- the company is doing well and growing fast, but not just pouring on ad dollars and maximizing hiring for the sake of growth. Every growth decision is thought through and purposeful.
    -Culture of peers- there's certainly some hierarchy/ seniority, but generally everyone just treats everyone else like people- not superior/inferior beings. Co-founders and senior leaders sit at the lunch tables and chat with everyone, and everyone's encouraged to voice their opinions and thoughts (particularly around company planning) regardless of role/seniority.
    -The food. It's the single best perk in any company ever. Delicious, nutritious, and interesting. I would probably pay to eat here every day if it was restaurant.

Cons

-Things can feel like they're moving slow due to over-mindfulness and extensive justifying of decisions and reporting on progress.
    -Open floor plans can be annoying (but the same general problem as many open floor plan businesses, and we do have a few good quiet nooks and even an entire floor that's a quiet lounge).
    -Can feel a bit overly liberal sometimes, if that's a con for you
    -Due to growth stage and need for more senior leaders, high chance of new senior opportunities going to outside hires rather than promoting from within

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Consider cutting down on Episode planning process and mid-episode checkins and end-of-episode analysis.