Asana Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great focus on work life balance" (in 25 reviews)

• "Culinary team that cooks 3 meals a day for us 5 days a week (except dinner on Fridays)" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes decision making takes too long" (in 5 reviews)

• "Growing pains with processes particularly with cross-functional collaboration but that's normal for a company at this stage" (in 5 reviews)

"Excellent opportunities for growth and mindful management"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micro-management and an abundant amount of opportunity for those willing to go the extra mile. Leadership will listen (even if it takes a while to get time on their calendar) and treats employee ideas with thoughtful consideration and reflection. The ability to create your own path is available for anyone that's ambitious and driven.

Culture is good, food is the unimaginably delicious, and your co-workers are happy and positive. Great vibes when entering the building.

Cons

Thoughtfulness can breed slow decision making at times, you need to have strong conviction in order to weather the storm at times. The engineering-focused systems that were set in place during the early years of the company can be difficult for business teams to gel with. Cross-functional processes and teams can be bottle-necked by one employee or key decision maker, hopefully, this will be fixed with more hiring and scaling of internal teams. Product team can portray a superiority complex at times, but when you understand that it's in the companies best interest to make sure the engineers are happy that's ok.

Advice to Management

Continue to attack the market and make Asana the brand and product it has the potential to be. Reward your high performing employees with equity and compensation. Create additional channels for getting new projects/programs approved aside from the COO or CEO signing off.

"Fantastic Company"

I worked at Asana full-time

Pros

One of the most thoughtful, intentional groups of people you'll find anywhere. Dustin Moskovitz is the best CEO in Silicon Valley – smart, dedicated, and also (shockingly) humble.

Cons

The reflective/mindful culture can sometimes be a drag on quick action.

"Fantastic onboarding & highly scalable culture"

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Never before have I witnessed a company whose culture is so well thought out and intentioned, and the company and its people truly stick to it and embody it every day. I realized in my first week with facilities and culinary alone — this company has things down, and it's because of how much they care about the environment that it's creating for its employees. The offices are SO clean, the facilities program is top notch - you don't see office managers running around scrambling because we're out of snacks again - it's a well oiled machine. And the culinary program is incredible. Extremely healthy and delicious meals served 3x a day, and snacks and every kind of tea served all day and literally everything is made in-house. The culinary team isn't just an extension, they are a part of the team and the company and they have a super important purpose of fueling, energizing, and delighting employees so they can be as productive as possible.

So those are some perks. The onboarding here is really amazing. It's very comprehensive - you'll get intros and overviews to things in the company you didn't even realize it would be helpful to know about, and it exposes you 360-degrees to the whole company by introducing you to people on different teams and learning from them. I've never felt more genuinely welcomed, and they really make you feel that they care about you being set up for success. The great thing is that all of this rings true even after the onboarding "honeymoon phase" so to speak, and that's just the way people are at Asana. Friendly, welcoming, inclusive, and collaborative.

Cons

Asana has a very unique culture and it takes longer than you'd expect to get fully immersed and onboarded. They use their product internally exclusively, meaning you're living and breathing the mission of the company, but that's typically very foreign to a lot of people coming from traditional tech workplaces relying on email and google docs. If you want a run of the mill type of company, this isn't the place for you, but if you give it a little time and believe in yourself, it will be well worth it.

Advice to Management

The business is making tremendous gains in the market and Asana has just won awards and industry recognition across every category, from the business to the product to the culture - so keep up the great vision and strategy work that is driving our momentum!

"great"

Pros

free food, perks, awesome free stuff

Cons

no housing stipend for internship

5. "Great place to work for and grow your career"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture: very collaborative and great mentorship; some of the most friendly and talented people I've ever met; even junior people have the opportunities to take on important responsibilities and grow fast.
    Great mission to work for.
    Great business growth in the recent years.
    Awesome perks (healthy culinary program, on-site yoga, all kinds of employee resource groups, etc.)

Cons

The company is still relatively small and there are still many processes being built out.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to why the eng hiring has been challenging.

6. "5 weeks in and absolutely blown away"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some of the most friendly people I have ever met
    -Incredibly talented individuals that work very strongly as a team
    -Innovative ideas and company
    -Amazingly strong leadership & founders with a clear vision and strategic direction
    -BENEFITS (financial, work life balance, culinary)

Cons

none, and to be quite honest, no one who works here has any cons about being here either

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work. This is truly a one of a kind place to be. Keep growing the company and the size because this is an amazing place to work!!!

7. "Great Company to work for"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

- There is a lot of opportunity to grow within this company.
    - You have a voice in the decisions which are made.
    - Awesome perks
    - A great management team
    - Encouraged to try new things and carry on your own initiatives
    - Company is growing fast and doing well!

Cons

- There may be times where the direction of your work may be unclear. This is because there are still many processes being built out.

"Asana is growing the right way"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Food.

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner every single day.

The munchies are next level. All healthy, organic, fresh, locally sourced, delicious, mind-blowing, crisp, umami, accessible, routine, thoughtful, . . . . . you get the idea. Food very thoughtful, tasty, and everything is labeled for those with restrictions.

We're making the transition from a smaller company (B2C-y) to a larger company (B2B-y), which is always a challenge. I believe in our leadership across pretty much the entire business to grow the product and the sales/marketing engine the right way. We're gaining momentum, which is exciting to watch.

The Benefits - like other big tech firms, we have pretty much everything.

We are in the city of San Francisco. Asana is compared alongside giants like Facebook, Google, etc down south, but the fact that our office is in SF is a huge benefit to me personally.

The top-down mindfulness is really special. Dustin and JR (the founders) are super smart and enable a culture of self-awareness and self-reflection. It shows in the product as well.

Product - We're in a great spot, we're building some awesome stuff. Product seems to be in-line with the business needs and direction of the company.

Cons

Competition is real, we're in a super crowded space.

Everyone is super nice, but can be a bit cliquey. Especially visible at meals. It seems like a decent number of teams pretty much only hang out with their teammates.

The distributed office layout means that there are fewer opportunities to meet random people on other teams/floors.

Compensation is a hot topic right now. I think I'm paid well in my department, but some folks are frustrated that we dont pay the same as the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Super flat org, clarity into career growth is a bit opaque/still forming.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see more cross-team bonding. Not necessarily happy hours, just something where two teams can meet and greet.

Keep an eye out for competition, they could be closing in on us faster than y'all think! (i.e. Please keep building innovative products please)

"Believe the hype"

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I initially applied at Asana because I was coming from someplace with an awful culture, and I wanted the opposite. So far Asana has made my work culture dreams come true, and I'm approaching my one-year anniversary.

The people at Asana who I see thriving and loving their time here are hard workers who are kicking butt every day. If you are brilliant, have a good attitude and not afraid of hard work, people notice and you get what you are due. A mediocre employee and/or an employee whose goal is to squeak by without exerting themselves won’t be happy here.

With that said, the culture and benefits make it easier to work hard than anywhere else I’ve ever been. Knowing that I can go across the street to the gym for my mid-day break, and I’ll have a healthy and delicious breakfast and lunch (and dinner if I decide to stay late), counts for a lot when you are working hard!

Not sure if I should put this in pros or cons, but: Asana professes to have a flat org structure, but even so there are obviously an executive-level group of people. As with any group of people, they range in personality, approachability etc. With that said, I think that overall/on average they are some of the most approachable and "cool" execs I've met at a company.

Highlights:
    Food
    Untracked PTO
    Great health/dental
    Professional coaching benefits (DO take advantage of these!)
    Talented and fun coworkers

Cons

In spite of No Meeting Wednesdays, it does sometimes seem like there are a LOT of meetings.

Not sure if you would call this a "con," but:
    No one will bow down and praise you for doing the minimum of what you were hired to do. I actually see this as a positive, but there are people in the world who think they are due certain things in life simply by merit of existing.

Prepare to be surrounded by some pretty brilliant people and for people to expect you to work hard and crush it as well.

Advice to Management

Reconsider what necessitates a meeting and challenge the conventional wisdom of having regular meeting cadence for certain things.

OH! And build out your headcount and resources in your D&I department! It's already pretty good, but I can't imagine how much more could be achieved and the message it would send to build it out further.

"Thrilled to be on this ride"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Business trajectory is off the charts - our growth rate is increasing quarter over quarter putting us in rarified air for SaaS startups at our stage.
    - The category is new and we're getting to shape it as we change the way people approach and achieve their goals at work.
    - We're encouraged to move fast - thoughtfully - giving us all the reward of innovation and iteration while mitigating the risk of having a mess to clean up later.
    - More than anywhere else I've worked, cross functional teams are on the same page with the same goals in mind and the learning opportunities of being part of these groups are boundless.
    - The people around you are invested in your success professionally and personally and you can feel that in every interaction.
    - If you're good at your job, the opportunities are endless. The leadership team is great at identifying top performers and creating opportunities for them to expand their role and continue challenging them.
    - The work is hard and sometimes requires a lot of extra hours, but it's interesting and feels important and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    - I'm still blown away daily by the benefits / perks / etc. offered for a company of our size.

Cons

- It sometimes feels like we're trying to hold onto some Asana artifacts that aren't realistic to maintain as we scale, and I think this slows us down at times.
    - I do think there's more meetings than are necessary and the preparation required for them is often more work than they're worth.

Advice to Management

- Focus on doing what drives clarity and be ok with letting what used to work go if it's no longer serving it's purpose.
    - Don't be afraid to talk about the hard stuff! It feels like we're constantly talking about what's going great (and so much is!) but it would be awesome to understand what struggles we're facing so people cross-functionally that are interested can participate in finding the solution.