Asana Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great focus on work life balance" (in 24 reviews)

• "Culinary team that cooks 3 meals a day for us 5 days a week (except dinner on Fridays)" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with processes particularly with cross-functional collaboration but that's normal for a company at this stage" (in 5 reviews)

• "Sometimes decision making takes too long" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Feels like a perfect time to be at Asana"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technical challenges: Back when I first considered working at Asana, I was skeptical if there would be interesting engineering challenges given what I knew about the product. I was completely wrong - the work here has been the most fun work I've ever done. Asana is at a point where scaling further has required challenging previous foundational technical decisions, opening the way for engineers to get involved in architecting better solutions that will affect the company for years to come.

Impact: I've never worked at a place where my impact felt so apparent. Teams set KRs that directly relate to top-level company objectives, and almost every piece of work you do is in service of some KR. Its success is measured against these criteria, and teams are really good at consistently recognizing and celebrating every accomplishment and the people behind it.

Culture: Lots to love, but my favorite aspect is probably the feedback culture that exists. No one says "not my problem, hopefully someone else will do it"; either they lead the way to fix it, or they seek out the most capable team / people to solve it and provide that feedback directly to them. This is critical in surfacing issues before they are serious problems and has been extremely helpful in allowing the company to scale without many things falling through the cracks.

Food: The meals at Asana are well beyond "perk" level - they're delicious, healthy, and always so different from day to day. I love that everyone eats in the same place and that the standard is to grab a seat at one of the big tables and share a meal with whoever happens to be there.

Mission: When you use Asana (the product) the way Asana (the company) uses it, it becomes immediately evident how powerful of a tool it is for fostering better communication and planning, and in general just enabling an individual to be more connected to what's going on in the company. It's exciting to be a part of making it even better, and to be helping our customers achieve the same.

Cons

You can gain a lot of responsibility really quickly at Asana if you aren't careful about saying "no". It's not hard to get yourself in a situation where you have multiple things that urgently need your attention.

The system used to evaluate employees is a little opaque, which can be uncomfortable when you're used to a system with clear levels and clear responsibilities attached to those levels.

Advice to Management

I know there is active work to add more structure to employee responsibilities, expectations, and evaluation - continue it.

Otherwise, keep up the great work! Asana is an awesome place to work.

2. "Great Company to work for"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

- There is a lot of opportunity to grow within this company.
    - You have a voice in the decisions which are made.
    - Awesome perks
    - A great management team
    - Encouraged to try new things and carry on your own initiatives
    - Company is growing fast and doing well!

Cons

- There may be times where the direction of your work may be unclear. This is because there are still many processes being built out.

"Far and away the best company I've worked at"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

The culture, the product, the people, the structures in place, the maturity! Asana is an incredible company. The most shocking realization for me was the alignment between what the company says (including it's blog posts) and what it does. Nothing feels disingenuous and because we all use the product together we have a good understanding of what's happening at all times - really reducing my anxiety.

Cons

It's still a growing company so there are a lot of areas which are still being worked on and improved. The difference between Asana and other companies I've been at is that Asana is aware of the areas that aren't working well and anyone is free to help out and improve them. This probably isn't a good company for someone who needs to be 'told' exactly what to do - the belief in distributed responsibility is real and enables a lot of creativity + autonomy but that also means each person has to embrace it and take that responsibility.

Advice to Management

I don't think much of the world has really 'clicked' for our mission. We need to explore more methods for others outside Asana to understand what we're doing and why it's so important.

"Asana is growing the right way"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Food.

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner every single day.

The munchies are next level. All healthy, organic, fresh, locally sourced, delicious, mind-blowing, crisp, umami, accessible, routine, thoughtful, . . . . . you get the idea. Food very thoughtful, tasty, and everything is labeled for those with restrictions.

We're making the transition from a smaller company (B2C-y) to a larger company (B2B-y), which is always a challenge. I believe in our leadership across pretty much the entire business to grow the product and the sales/marketing engine the right way. We're gaining momentum, which is exciting to watch.

The Benefits - like other big tech firms, we have pretty much everything.

We are in the city of San Francisco. Asana is compared alongside giants like Facebook, Google, etc down south, but the fact that our office is in SF is a huge benefit to me personally.

The top-down mindfulness is really special. Dustin and JR (the founders) are super smart and enable a culture of self-awareness and self-reflection. It shows in the product as well.

Product - We're in a great spot, we're building some awesome stuff. Product seems to be in-line with the business needs and direction of the company.

Cons

Competition is real, we're in a super crowded space.

Everyone is super nice, but can be a bit cliquey. Especially visible at meals. It seems like a decent number of teams pretty much only hang out with their teammates.

The distributed office layout means that there are fewer opportunities to meet random people on other teams/floors.

Compensation is a hot topic right now. I think I'm paid well in my department, but some folks are frustrated that we dont pay the same as the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Super flat org, clarity into career growth is a bit opaque/still forming.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see more cross-team bonding. Not necessarily happy hours, just something where two teams can meet and greet.

Keep an eye out for competition, they could be closing in on us faster than y'all think! (i.e. Please keep building innovative products please)

"Believe the hype"

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I initially applied at Asana because I was coming from someplace with an awful culture, and I wanted the opposite. So far Asana has made my work culture dreams come true, and I'm approaching my one-year anniversary.

The people at Asana who I see thriving and loving their time here are hard workers who are kicking butt every day. If you are brilliant, have a good attitude and not afraid of hard work, people notice and you get what you are due. A mediocre employee and/or an employee whose goal is to squeak by without exerting themselves won’t be happy here.

With that said, the culture and benefits make it easier to work hard than anywhere else I’ve ever been. Knowing that I can go across the street to the gym for my mid-day break, and I’ll have a healthy and delicious breakfast and lunch (and dinner if I decide to stay late), counts for a lot when you are working hard!

Not sure if I should put this in pros or cons, but: Asana professes to have a flat org structure, but even so there are obviously an executive-level group of people. As with any group of people, they range in personality, approachability etc. With that said, I think that overall/on average they are some of the most approachable and "cool" execs I've met at a company.

Highlights:
    Food
    Untracked PTO
    Great health/dental
    Professional coaching benefits (DO take advantage of these!)
    Talented and fun coworkers

Cons

In spite of No Meeting Wednesdays, it does sometimes seem like there are a LOT of meetings.

Not sure if you would call this a "con," but:
    No one will bow down and praise you for doing the minimum of what you were hired to do. I actually see this as a positive, but there are people in the world who think they are due certain things in life simply by merit of existing.

Prepare to be surrounded by some pretty brilliant people and for people to expect you to work hard and crush it as well.

Advice to Management

Reconsider what necessitates a meeting and challenge the conventional wisdom of having regular meeting cadence for certain things.

OH! And build out your headcount and resources in your D&I department! It's already pretty good, but I can't imagine how much more could be achieved and the message it would send to build it out further.

"Thrilled to be on this ride"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Business trajectory is off the charts - our growth rate is increasing quarter over quarter putting us in rarified air for SaaS startups at our stage.
    - The category is new and we're getting to shape it as we change the way people approach and achieve their goals at work.
    - We're encouraged to move fast - thoughtfully - giving us all the reward of innovation and iteration while mitigating the risk of having a mess to clean up later.
    - More than anywhere else I've worked, cross functional teams are on the same page with the same goals in mind and the learning opportunities of being part of these groups are boundless.
    - The people around you are invested in your success professionally and personally and you can feel that in every interaction.
    - If you're good at your job, the opportunities are endless. The leadership team is great at identifying top performers and creating opportunities for them to expand their role and continue challenging them.
    - The work is hard and sometimes requires a lot of extra hours, but it's interesting and feels important and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    - I'm still blown away daily by the benefits / perks / etc. offered for a company of our size.

Cons

- It sometimes feels like we're trying to hold onto some Asana artifacts that aren't realistic to maintain as we scale, and I think this slows us down at times.
    - I do think there's more meetings than are necessary and the preparation required for them is often more work than they're worth.

Advice to Management

- Focus on doing what drives clarity and be ok with letting what used to work go if it's no longer serving it's purpose.
    - Don't be afraid to talk about the hard stuff! It feels like we're constantly talking about what's going great (and so much is!) but it would be awesome to understand what struggles we're facing so people cross-functionally that are interested can participate in finding the solution.

7. "Best company I have ever worked for"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

Heathy workplace environment. Everyone works together to build the best possible product, no company/political BS to sort through.

Every employee has career coaching available to them. (Other places this is only reserved for executives.)

Great benefits including health and dental, gym reimbursement, meals covered, commute, 401k + more.

Positive office atmosphere.

Frequent trips to SF to collaborate with HQ.

Small team environment provides the opportunity to help shape and grow the office, and take responsibility in it's future.

Cons

Travel and remote video calls can get tiring.

"Great environment to build an impactful product"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Asana (the product) makes work more stream-lined for users. As a developer, and Asana user, I get to see the impact of changes I make very day.
    * Collaborative colleagues - I get to work with folks within eng and beyond, and appreciate the alignment on company mission and our immediate goals
    * Get to work on hard product and technical problems with modern tech stack (though there is legacy code that we are slowly eliminating)

Cons

* Still dealing with technical debt from a framework change that has taken a long time to implement.

Advice to Management

* Great to see the focus on engineering velocity, keep investing in it!

9. "Hyper growth company hitting its stride"

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Asana has an establish reputation as a leader in their space - which is growing. From a product that has a dedicated fan base and cool customers - Pinterest, National Geographic, Gates Foundation and tons of work and personal use cases (campaigns! launches! packing lists! weddings!) - the opportunity to do work that has impact is high and meaningful.

They walk the walk when it comes to creating a positive and supportive employee experience and live their commitments around inclusion. The Real Talk community event series and sponsored Employee Resource Groups (Team Rainbow, Gradient and Asana Women) are led authentically by employees who have a variety of interests and points of view. There are some incredible female leaders in the company who have super diverse experience and are at various stages of their careers and life - which is really great to see. Also the Conscious Leadership training and Coaching benefits are incredible and really set the tone for personal growth and development support.

The company is growing its global efforts too - lots of international opportunities in Europe and spending time in the other offices like Dublin and NY is encouraged. There is also a good blend of wanting to win and grow as a business and a culture that doesn't take itself too seriously - yetis! I really feel supported in my role, love my team and see nothing but upside ahead.

Cons

Not so much cons as opportunities:

The company has big ambitions and a plan to get there - challenge is prioritizing which opportunities will have the biggest impact and recruiting awesome people to help us keep moving forward.

We are actively hiring and investing in supporting career growth and development - it's competitive so being more open about what makes the business trajectory and opportunity to do career making work here unique vs other companies is key since we are known in some pockets and not in others.

Advice to Management

Stay true to founding values and mission driven product intent while evolving early stage company ways that may no longer scale as we grow. Look at long term opportunities like 401k match and employee donation match as the company matures. Keep up the Founder talks and encouraging No Meeting Wednesdays it really is a productivity game changer!

"Best Workplace of my Career!"

Current Employee - Team Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Smart business with a clear roadmap to succeed
    + Leadership team is smart, accessible and easy to engage with
    + Growing in diversity in all areas (abilities, gender, race, orientation, etc.)
    + Employees are friendly and helpful
    + World-class Culinary team with 3 meals + snacks each day (free)
    + Great benefits: fully paid medical, commuter perks, all meals, so many bennies

Cons

- They don't have 401(k) match or bonus incentives (yet)
    - Too much time on screens; would love more face to face time built in
    - Open Office Workspace: difficult for us introverts

Advice to Management

Facetime: Build in more opportunities for connecting with others face to face as a regular operating practice.

AoRs: More ease and clarity about AoRs or adopt a new model.

Titles: Standardize titles that sync with the market so we don't have to explain what our job is to external people all the time.

Leadership: Engage even more with ICs by asking interested/curious questions about people, their roles and their lives.

Hiring: Many of my referrals were passed on who I know could have done a fantastic job for Asana. We need to look outside "the box" and invest in hiring people even if they do not check every single box, especially in this highly competitive market.

Asana is awesome!!!