Asana Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great focus on work life balance" (in 24 reviews)

• "Culinary team that cooks 3 meals a day for us 5 days a week (except dinner on Fridays)" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "They are having some size-based growing pains" (in 5 reviews)

• "Sometimes decision making takes too long" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Feels like a perfect time to be at Asana"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technical challenges: Back when I first considered working at Asana, I was skeptical if there would be interesting engineering challenges given what I knew about the product. I was completely wrong - the work here has been the most fun work I've ever done. Asana is at a point where scaling further has required challenging previous foundational technical decisions, opening the way for engineers to get involved in architecting better solutions that will affect the company for years to come.

Impact: I've never worked at a place where my impact felt so apparent. Teams set KRs that directly relate to top-level company objectives, and almost every piece of work you do is in service of some KR. Its success is measured against these criteria, and teams are really good at consistently recognizing and celebrating every accomplishment and the people behind it.

Culture: Lots to love, but my favorite aspect is probably the feedback culture that exists. No one says "not my problem, hopefully someone else will do it"; either they lead the way to fix it, or they seek out the most capable team / people to solve it and provide that feedback directly to them. This is critical in surfacing issues before they are serious problems and has been extremely helpful in allowing the company to scale without many things falling through the cracks.

Food: The meals at Asana are well beyond "perk" level - they're delicious, healthy, and always so different from day to day. I love that everyone eats in the same place and that the standard is to grab a seat at one of the big tables and share a meal with whoever happens to be there.

Mission: When you use Asana (the product) the way Asana (the company) uses it, it becomes immediately evident how powerful of a tool it is for fostering better communication and planning, and in general just enabling an individual to be more connected to what's going on in the company. It's exciting to be a part of making it even better, and to be helping our customers achieve the same.

Cons

You can gain a lot of responsibility really quickly at Asana if you aren't careful about saying "no". It's not hard to get yourself in a situation where you have multiple things that urgently need your attention.

The system used to evaluate employees is a little opaque, which can be uncomfortable when you're used to a system with clear levels and clear responsibilities attached to those levels.

Advice to Management

I know there is active work to add more structure to employee responsibilities, expectations, and evaluation - continue it.

Otherwise, keep up the great work! Asana is an awesome place to work.

2. "An incredibly fun and well run company"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.) Very little politics or unnecessary work. You really feel like your time is spent pursuing the mission to help teams become more effective.

2.) People are really amazing. I work in software engineering and I'm impressed by how cool & thoughtful my co-workers are in addition to their engineering skills.

3.) Tying into (2), the work environment is super collaborative, meaning that I get to work with engineers (and non-engineers) far removed from my core team, which is really awesome.

4.) Culinary team is one of a kind. Food is amazing, healthy, and they put on a lot of fun, unique events.

5.) At Asana, we use the Asana product daily, which is great because seeing yourself become more productive as a result of a feature you built feels really rewarding.

6.) Using the Asana product also means that we benefit from having clarity about who's doing what by when. This really helps us get more out of our days while minimizing "status-update" type meetings that would otherwise drain a lot of time.

Cons

1.) There is some large technical debt that the company is still working with. We've come a long way towards making this a lot better, but we still have a long way to go before this debt is fully addressed.

2.) There are so many important things that we want to pursue all at once that it can sometimes feel like initiatives are understaffed/we can't work on things we really need to work on.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to make long-term bets/invest in initiatives with a longer time frame. Our efforts to improve performance were a clear example of when a long-term investment paid off, and I'd love to see more of that.

3. "Grow as a person while also growing the amazing culture and company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting challenges that help you grow & learn, amazing people, bring your dog to work every day, good work/life balance, empathetic managers, healthy food (3 meals/day), the learning never ends (lots of trainings/workshops) and conscious leaders.

Cons

Every department is different.. sometimes you need to adjust your schedule to fit business needs but I think this applies to many other org's too (ex. the sales team has to be in office for specific coverage hrs vs the engineering team that kind of gets more control over their schedules)

Advice to Management

Keep being mindful as we scale and grow. Keep the focus on the people itself, and continue to spread customer joy (and adapt).. also having the product in Spanish would be game-changer (considering that its the second most spoken language in the US especially)

"Cult-ish culture"

I worked at Asana full-time

Pros

Very typical Silicon Valley Office is quite an attraction.
    Great benefits.

Cons

Asana has a great marketing team that has painted a picture of a company that isn't doing that much but appears in the media as this incredibly diverse and inclusive company that is saving the world. In reality, the product is just okay - nothing groundbreaking. The company is well funded and the co-founders have a great pedigree. Everyone knows that eventually, Asana will go IPO and until that time comes they're creating an illusion of "working". Projects get started and then lost in the universe because they don't matter. No one has answers to your questions - because no one actually knows where things live and what processes are, etc.

Long story short - if you're looking for a workplace where you can come in to meditate, drink green smoothies, and sit in meetings all day then Asana is a great place for you! But if you're eager to learn and grow your career I would recommend going somewhere else.

And as to their diversity and inclusion efforts - as a very "standard" person I felt completely out of place.

"Best Workplace of my Career!"

Current Employee - Team Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Smart with a clear roadmap and business plan to success
    + Leadership team is smart, accessible and easy to engage with
    + Most employees are friendly and helpful
    + World-class Culinary team with 3 meals + snacks a day (free)
    + Great benefits: fully paid medical, commuter perks, so many bennies

Cons

- They don't have 401(k) match
    - Most people are staring at their screens all day; would love more face to face time

Advice to Management

Now and especially as we continue to grow, would love to see opportunities for connecting with other employees via face to face time vs. always staring at screens. Also, would love to see the Leadership team even more engaged at the IC level -- asking curious questions about their roles AND their lives.

"Exclusive, cliquey team culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Intelligent, truly passionate people across the company
    - Awesome food
    - Life coaching perk, nap room, gym membership, paid medical/dental insurance
    - Open-minded, passionate, and approachable CEO

Cons

- What felt more like a startup at first started to feel more corporate towards the end of my time there. Micromanagement and not approving time off because I had met the company median (even though they promote an open/unlimited PTO policy) are a few examples of this.
    - My team was very cliquey and exclusive. Our team channel on Slack was full of so many inside jokes/GIFs that I missed a lot of important information, which affected my performance. My opinion was also never asked for in meetings and it felt like there was rarely room for me to talk. I felt very left out and not welcomed 95% of the time.
    - My team also got upset at me for asking "too many" questions.
    - Apparently, you have to be really social/extroverted and share the same sense of humor as the rest of the team to feel included, even professionally. It felt like my voice never mattered in the company.

Advice to Management

Be more inclusive and open to diversity in terms of personalities among employees.

7. "Simple benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health coverage, but the NY office doesn’t have culinary staff like SF. Option to expense lunch is a nice bonus.

Cons

No wellness benefit. Company moved away from supplying a full gym membership to only a small subsidy that doesn’t accrue.

8. "great company to grow with"

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

- transparent and collaborative
    - thoughtful and respected leadership
    - data driven culture
    - fast paced environment
    - clear company objectives and an emphasis on company-wide planning process

Cons

- high growth company that needs to continue finding balance as it scales

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great culture
    - Amazing food
    - Smart coworkers

Cons

- Open-office floorplan
    - Occasionally strange engineering choices

"Best job I'll ever have"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging problems to solve, emphasis on learning, culture that encourages work life balance, incredible amounts of autonomy for individual contributors, managers that serve as mentors and advocates, respectful and intentional community

Cons

Location is not the nicest part of the Mission, I anticipate growing pains as we continue to get bigger (not the worst problem to have...)