Ascend Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Learning (Leawood, KS) in April 2016.

Interview

I was referred by someone within the company. Applied online. Phone interview with recruiter. In-person with hiring manager and two other members of the leadership team. I submitted work samples for review and a sample campaign plan. Called back for one more interview with potential teammates. Received offer by phone within a week.

Interview Questions

• How do you add value in your role? How do you work across teams?   1 Answer

PHP Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ascend Learning.

Interview

The first step is to apply online, after waiting for months, the second step is the twenty to thirty minutes phone interview with the company's recruiter who has two-hour time lag from where the job is located.

Interview Questions

• where do you live? it's important because they only hire local people.
      What is your salary requirement?
      Tell me the projects you have done? You may write it in resume, but she want to hear how you talk about it.
      Have you viewed our company's website? Tell me what our company is about? You should read out the company introduction to her they put on the job post, instead invent a new way to introduce her company and explain the job position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ascend Learning (Leawood, KS) in February 2014.

Interview

Quick and very friendly. Knowledgeable technical interview with very interactive interviewers. Initial interview was by phone, secondary was resume review and technical skills. Seemed more like a conversation than an actual interview!

Interview Questions

• How do you solve the really tough and technical problems.   1 Answer

Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Learning (Leawood, KS) in February 2018.

Interview

I received a request for an initial phone interview with someone from the HR team about a week after submitting my application. This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager the following week, and an in-office interview two weeks later. I received a job offer 2 business days after the in-office interview. The interview process was very well-organized, and whenever I had questions, HR was incredibly helpful and would get back to me right away. I had the opportunity to meet everyone from my team, and learn about their roles, which I found very helpful. Everyone was very warm and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• - Why Ascend Learning and the current opening?
      - Questions about my past experiences and how it relates to the job opening.
      - Examples of how I try to grow professionally.
      - General personality questions, like hobbies, how I deal with disagreements, how well I work in a team, etc.
      - Questions for those interviewing me (members of the team the job opening was from).   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Learning (Burlington, MA) in June 2013.

Interview

After applying online through my university's campus recruiting program, I was moved forward to an in office interview. Other candidates had phone screens prior to the in office interview but they felt I had enough experience to move me along without the phone screen. During the in office interview I met with two employees.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions about your resume/experience   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leawood, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Learning (Leawood, KS).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within a week for a phone interview with a recruiter. After the phone interview, the recruiter called back and asked me to schedule a phone interview with a manager. Then, I visited the office for about 2.5 hours and interviewed with 4 more people, 3 as a group. I was invited to come in to meet with yet another person 2 weeks later. I was told everything went well in my previous 4 interviews and I just needed to meet with one more person. After meeting with that person, the recruiter just fell of the face of the earth. I went into the office twice and had five interviews over the course of a month with absolutely no response from the company. How rude!

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite and least favorite thing about your last job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ascend Learning in September 2014.

Interview

- initial connections was through linked in, the HR personnel contacted me via the linked in message
    - i took some time to respond back, researched their company meanwhile
    - called them back a week later, interview set up the next day
    - first call was with the lead dev for whom i would be reporting, he did a screening with respect to tech questions as well as some basic HR skills, got feedback by EOD about the next steps in the process
    - next round interview, 3 people, all technical but pretty laid-back,they worked around my schedule as I was working full time 9 to 6, so they took my interview on Skype after work to accommodate my time as well as move quickly
    - time from first contact (from my side) to acceptance took 2 weeks.

the lead dev (first phone call) was really cordial, it was a phone interview and he was very down to earth. no "I know better than you" attitude.

Interview Questions

• - The lead dev called me at 6:30 from his home phone, before he put down, he said "don't call back on this number, my wife will answer and you won't like it" .. that was quite unexpected from an otherwise professional interview,   1 Answer

Negotiation

i was able to negotiate, they asked me what I was expecting and matched it without further ado, i suggest maybe ask for more than what you want, they might as well give it :)

the negotiation phase was really professional.

Associate Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ascend Learning.

Interview

I filled out an online application and was contacted by the HR representative via (typo-filled) email for a phone screener. I wrote back and told her I was available the next day at any time except 12:00 to 1:00. She wrote back "I have scheduled your interview at 12:00." I thought that was weird but didn't want to be rude so I told her 12 was fine and moved my schedule around. The next day, I went to a conference room and waited for her call. I sat there for about 25 minutes, nervously checking and rechecking my email to make sure I had the date and time correct. Finally, I went back to my desk and emailed her to ask if I had made a mistake as to the time. She wrote me back over an hour later to say that they were having a problem with their network and could we reschedule for the next day. Understandable I guess, although I find it hard to believe that there wasn't another way she could have gotten in touch with me earlier. We rescheduled and I waited over 10 minutes this time before she finally called. She was on speakerphone and spoke with a heavy accent, so it was difficult to understand her. The interview was a little weird; she asked me about my "current" job as an Editorial Assistant and I had to correct her that I'm a Project Editor (clearly on my resume). She also asked me about an internship I'd had for about 4 months nearly 5 years ago (which yes, is on my resume, but is not particularly significant experience compared to the job I've had for nearly 5 years). I asked one question at the end and she went off on what was clearly a rehearsed speech that was only tangentially related to the question I had asked.

I considered withdrawing at that point but decided to see things through. The next two people I spoke to (the hiring manager and her boss) were great and got me really excited about the job. They were both phone interviews and the questions were pretty standard, about my current position and where I think publishing is going, and they encouraged me to ask questions and gave me a lot of great information about the job. I followed up with a thank you note to each of them after the interviews. About a week and a half later, I followed up with the hiring manager to ask when they might be making their decision. She wrote back pretty quickly and said they were hoping to decide by the end of the month, which was a few weeks away. The end of the month came and went and I followed up with the HR rep early the following month, asking when I might expect to hear and specifically saying "I understand if the decision has been made and would appreciate hearing either way." After a week with no response, I tried following up with the hiring manager again. Neither person ever responded (and this was over two months ago).

Interview Questions

• Where do you see the publishing industry heading over the next few years?   Answer Question

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Learning (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process had a total of 5 rounds. I cleared the first 4 rounds and was scheduled for the 5th round with the project manager. But the company which was hiring said it will take another month or so to get back to me with the final decision.

Manager Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ascend Learning in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screening interview on Thursday with HR followed by another phone screening with the person hiring on Friday. On Monday I received an email notifying me that they had scheduled an in-person interview for me the next day. They did not check with me if it would work, just told me to be there with less than 24 hours notice. No consideration of my time or prior commitments.