Ask Media Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ask Media Group Interview Questions

Director of Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ask Media Group in December 2015.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, and then zero communication. Both interviews seemed to go well. What I found frustrating however was the lack of follow up by the recruiter. I sent two follow up emails to the recruiter with no response. Other than that the scheduling was easy, didn't really ask any deep technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about how I would explain technical topics with non-technical people.   Answer Question

SEM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ask Media Group (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR person. Took awhile to arrange, she was not very flexible on times. She asked a bunch of pointed questions that did not seem entirely relevant. I do not think we really connected on aspects that were not related to the opening.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ask Media Group (Oakland, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

There were a couple of emails then a short code test and two phone / Skype interviews (and a background check). After that they asked for an interview at their office which started early morning and took all work day. Met with a handful of their team, answered a bunch of tech questions. After the all-day interview, they did the "thanks for coming, we'll be in touch soon". Waited weeks for a response and not a single response came -- no phone calls, no emails. Emailed them about a month after and still no response. Very unprofessional and a huge waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding javascript inheritance (pretty standard for this type of job).   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ask Media Group.

Interview

Recruiter contacted via LinkedIn. Process took 3+ week. Had a discussion with recruiter, after that had a call with manager. Had total of 2 phone interviews and then onsite 5 rounds interviewers came in a pair of 2. Most of the interviewer were consultants.

Questions asked:
    1. Find the minimum distance between 2 nodes in a graph. Then modified it to a graph like LinkedIn where you have 1 degree, 2nd degree connections. I thought I did good in this round I was able to solve this question. Then he asked me to implement the Threadpool class and write unit and integration tests for it.
    2. This round was with the lead and one other interviewer. General unix command, Sql commands. Nothing difficult. Team lead was totally disinterested he didn't asked any questions.
    3. Write a shell script to find a word count and print the result with line number and count of word in that line. Implement same in Java.
    4. It was with one of the manager. This was more general discussion about the OOD and some of the problems that they are having.
    5. What is REST. Implement a simple Rest service for get and put. Implement Tree data structure.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ask Media Group in July 2014.

Interview

Started with phone interview, there were 3 persons interviewing me and asked both technical and personal questions. I got an offer 7 days after the interview. it was very happy event.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ask Media Group in July 2014.

Interview

Interview phase 1: I applied on Ask.com careers, and got a call in 1-2 weeks from a recruiter. My first interview was with a senior engineer, and questions were mostly regarding my background, CV. The focus was more on knowing my intention and interests, do they align with the job description or not.

Interview phase2: The interview was conducted in a very friendly and interactive way. I meet experienced engineers and had very good discussions. onsite interview which lasted 4-5 hours, consisting of 3 planned interviews and 1 unplanned i.e more chit chat. First interview was more on discussion regarding my background/CV, interests and what the expectations of the job role + intro to existing and future projects. Second interview was again very interactive, and was based on a topic i selected, ML algo, this was a bit tricky. Third interview had one java problem (finding combinations in a string, non repeating), and then later how can we improve the space and time complexity. In the end there was another session of discussion about comp culture and ongoing projects etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much negotiation, actually the offer was fair so I did not do much effort. Secondly I was told about the budget of the position.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ask Media Group (Oakland, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

There were six rounds in the interview process. First call was by a recruiter who wanted normal details. She scheduled a tech screen after three weeks. The third round was purely technical with the team manager and was for about 2 hours. The fourth round was on-site for about 5 hours and questions were on basic string operations and data structures. Questions were not hard.
    Final round was salary negotiations and personality screen by the VP..

Web Content Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ask Media Group.

Interview

Phone interview with HR and then with head of content department.

Interview Questions

• No trick or difficult questions. Just the ones you'd expect.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ask Media Group (Oakland, CA).

Interview

I got an email from HR that they liked my resume for the position. Next round was a phone technical interview. It was supposed to be taken by someone but instead someone else took it. I did pretty well in that and got selected for next round which was solving two coding problems.
    I was supposed to get coding problems on friday but they forgot then again scheduled for saturday, which they again forgot and i ended up doing coding problems designed for some other position. HR was concerned but the technical staff which was supposed to send me the problems were lazy.
    And its been 3 weeks since then and i have not received any sort of reply from them about rejection or acceptance.

Overall, interview process is lousy!!!

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions in 1st round but the programming questions were not basic data structure programming. They asked for creating link graph.   Answer Question

SEM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ask Media Group (Oakland, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

First contacted by the recruiter, he first gave some description of the company and corresponding position. Then he asked some regular behavior question and schedule the time for interview with the director.

The phone interview took about one hour. First asked for introduction and project/work experience. Then have some question about R and SQL. The last part was about the general idea of SEM.