Audible Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Audible (Newark, NJ) in November 2018.

Interview

I just want to say in a sentence or two that the people that work for this company are super professional. My tech recruiter was on top of everything and he always emailed me when he said he would and put me at ease during the whole process (this was my top choice so it really helped a lot with the nerves).

The interview consisted of one call with the recruiter with some background questions, then a technical phone screening with a software developer from the company with some behavioral questions in the beginning followed by two coding questions on a live codeshare site. Then I was brought onsite with 5 rounds of interviews, around 45min-1hour each.

Two of the interviews were purely behavioral where they asked me things like the most exciting project I've done and the challenges of it. You should also prepare to talk about your projects in a technical way in these rounds.

The other three interviews had some behavioral questions but were mostly technical. Prepare for these by brushing up on your data structures and algorithms and know how to do object-oriented design as well. (I recommend CTCI and PIE to study for these if you haven't in a while because I hadn't in a while and they really helped me in the 2-3 weeks I had to study).

Don't forget that they want you to succeed. They're willing to spend their time and money to interview you so you are a great candidate already, be confident!

Audio Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Audible (Newark, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

There was a screening process that was underwent through a recruiter. From that point I had a phone interview. Within a week, there was an in person interview with a department supervisor and department head. Based off of prior experience in related areas of production, it was a good fit

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Audible (Newark, NJ) in July 2012.

Interview

I was very impressed with the 7 or so individuals who interviewed me. They were all personable and sharp. Audible as a company looks exciting and I loved the atmosphere. One of the positive indicators for me was that they couldn't talk about some of their current projects. I felt this was a solid sign that they are working on innovative, industry leading applications.

I did 2 separate phone screenings and an full-day onsite interview. Half the interviews were technical, half were about experience and managerial skills. In each of the interviews where they were asking about management style, past experience and managing methodologies, I felt I did very well. But in the technical sections I did ok, but not fantastic.

I was a bit worried about this but the hiring manager assured me that this was a management position, and I would not be coding, and it was much more important to have management experience.

Afterwords the onsite interview, I was not extended the offer and was given the following feedback: "We liked your management experience but the technical skills were not strong enough."

I understand where they are coming from in this conclusion, but disagree with the criteria. If someone is being hired to manage developers I would expect them to be judged 80% on past experience/personality/methodologies and 20% on technical abilities. However, this did not appear to be the case.

I got a in-depth questions about algorithms, design patterns, cloud computing, server architecture, db setups, and overall system architecture (where I had decent, but not the "right" answers) and these are important to ask, but as far as I, and the hiring manager understood the role, I wouldn't ever be doing this type of thing. On the other hand, I did not get asked for referrals, which I think would have been a much more effective indication of ability to lead a team and deliver successful projects. Talking to my previous manager, and people who reported to me would have given a better indication of success than if I knew the specifics of the latest design pattern or how to find the best way to parse a string.

It would have been fantastic to get this gig, but it wasn't in the cards. I think with a more accurate criteria, I would have gotten the offer. Anyways, best of luck to Audible and the future candidate! :)

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard how to setup a end to end system for storing user data and sharing among devices.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Audible (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter and we setup a time for a phone interview with an engineer. On the first phone interview I was asked several questions about software engineering and had to provide the solution to a couple of puzzles (no live coding, just talking). I did well on this interview and a follow up interview was scheduled. On this second interview I had to code using a collaborative coding tool. The questions were easy (general theoretical CS questions and solve a simple OOP problem). I think it went well, but they did not want to move forward after this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Audible (Boston, MA) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online through linkedIn for an open software engg position @Boston

Interview Questions

• Design and implement a circular linked list, support insert, search delete operations on it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Audible (Newark, NJ).

Interview

Two technical phone screens with coding using collabedit, and two onsite interviews (the second only because they messed up the schedule of the first one, and could not get all interviews done in one session). It took two months in all, despite going through an employee referral! Everyone was very nice, but the process seemed rather disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Method to check if a binary tree is a binary search tree.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Audible in November 2014.

Interview

I got the interview at a career fair at my school. The process took about 2 months. I finished a small coding quiz at the fair and got my initial interview 3 weeks later. The overall process was nice.

Interview Questions

• Questions were ok. I was asked to find the first missing number in a array of consecutive numbers. Another question was the find the first repeating character.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Audible (Newark, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of one telephone screen which was not that difficult. After the telephonic interview I was invited onsite for 5 rounds and was interviewed by 8 engineers. The interview was purely algorithms and lots of design. They pay a lot of focus on designing skills as well as implementation.
    As I had a pending offer, The HR department was very fast and gave me the offer the next day of my interview. The onsite interview was more difficult than many top tech companies including Apple and excluding google, but I guess it depends on the team you are interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• If you are good with algos and design, you should be able to answer all the questions. Do prepare trees,linked lists etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Audible (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interviews are nice and I was interviewed by two engineers. They asked me some questions regarding to my resume and some follow up question in terms of my answers. And then is the coding questions, which is not hard, I used a white board to answer. And thenI was asked some question about database because I had relevant project experience.

Interview Questions

• (1) Behaviour.
      (2) Coding: given a JSON, check if it's validate.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Audible in October 2015.

Interview

Found them at career fair, process took about 4 months (yes, 4 months). Did two phone technical interviews and lost contact for about 2 months, then in January they contacted me back asking if I was still interested. I scheduled another interview, again technical, but this time with a director of software development.

Interview Questions

• First couple questions were pretty straight forward in both technical interviews. The third interview with the director of software development was terrible, he seemed confused at my answers and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how my code worked (my answers were about 10 lines of code), when I asked questions about the different solutions that were possible he did not know how to answer them either, which made the interview very hard to follow.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Audible.

Interview

Applied online, received an online assessment and passed the test cases; then got a short phone interview about basic CS fundamentals questions. I listed Java as my favorite language and Java related fundamental questions are given.