Auth0 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Security Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Auth0 (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Pretty smooth Process with the following -
    Recruiter phone screen
    Hiring manager phone screen
    Couple of exercises
    2 team member interviews
    CISO interview

The process took about 3 weeks in total. The team came back quickly with the offer.

Looked the flexible work culture!

Interview Questions

Auth0 Response

Oct 26, 2018 – Global Recruiter

Thank you for your review on our interview process. We are thrilled that you had a positive experience and are stoked to have you on the Security team! We look forward to improving our processes and... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Auth0.

Interview

The interview process is laid out really well in their blog post on how they hire engineers, so you go into the process knowing what to expect. It's boils down to one standard interview, one technical interview, a lengthy coding exercise, a final review of the completed exercise, and then finally get to meet with the CTO to ask any additional questions you may have about the company.

It all flowed fairly quickly and they kept the process moving well. I believe I completed the whole process in just under four weeks with the delays coming from my end intentionally. It probably could've taken about two if I didn't push interviews out.

The coding exercise spans over the course of a week and you can work at a pace that works for you - I typically worked on it for an hour or two per day in the early morning and they were very accommodating. I also delayed it a few days due to prior obligations and they were completely understanding of that. They made themselves available to answer questions after their work hours, or would have a response for me by the next morning if I asked late at night. They keep it fair - they are asking you to work on an extra project so they, too, will work extra to make sure you get questions answered quickly.

Throughout the process I was impressed with their knowledge, professionalism, friendliness, and willingness to go the extra mile to accommodate me as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Questions ranged from your goals and experience to tough technical questions - no whiteboarding or undergrad-level algorithms thankfully!   1 Answer

Sep 18, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Thans for your feedback and Welcome to the team!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Auth0 in September 2017.

Interview

​Note: I've noticed that Auth0 has been replying to these reviews saying that they are trying to improve, but I doubt that they will actually follow through with that. If they show that they can fix their mistakes, I'll retract this note.

They sent me an email asking about my proudest achievement, an article I find interesting, my favorite feature about Auth0, and they asked me to create an interesting hack on webtask.io
    They did not specify how long I had to complete it. The email said that it should take 2 hours to complete, which made it seem that they wanted a quick reply; like within a day or so.

I started on a hack on webtask.io and after working on a hack for a while, I stopped due to how buggy webtask.io was on multiple things. Since I was not sure about how long I had to reply, I reached out to the interviewer telling him about my difficulty with webtask.io and about how I had invested quite a bit of time and wasn't sure about if I should start another hack or not (since I wasn't sure how soon they wanted a reply). He kind of brushed off the webtask issues and said that we can end the process here if I wasn't interested. I replied asking how long they need a reply in and he said that they allow for a week after the challenge is sent.

Since I still had some time, I spent some time on another hack inspired by an example given on Auth0's blog, which explained that one candidate made a tic-tac-toe AI for their hack. Because of this, I decided to make a hack for 2048 since that was a much more interesting and complex AI than tic-tac-toe was. My hack worked perfectly fine with webtask-cli, but when I ran it on webtask.io, it had network issues. Because of this, I emailed the interviewer again explaining that I had spent time on another hack and just needed to tell him that webtask.io was having issues and that there were some possible tweaks I could make to make it work (but not as well) on webtask.io (things like having it just do one move at a time).

Within an hour, he replied saying that they decided not to move forward. I was disappointed that I had spent so much time on the hack only for them to reject me before even seeing the hack. I replied back urging them to at least see the hack, since I had spent so much time on it. I also apologized for asking too many questions, as I thought that me bringing up webtask issues may have annoyed him.

The next day, he replied basically saying that they don't like candidate asking questions because they want candidates that are autonomous. I explained that I could have worked autonomously as I do quite a lot, but I thought it would be best to have clear communication with them, since I didn't want some small thing to cost me the interview. He also said that I shouldn't have done something so creative/complex since that's not what they're judging. Fair point, but I would say that the examples on their blogs imply that they want something creative, which is why I was hesitant on doing something easy. Anyways, they should have made it clear from the start what they wanted.

Worst interview process I've ever been in.

As some reviews have mentioned, all of this work was done without any mention of their salary range. Seeing that they pride themselves in their transparency, you'd assume they'd make that clear right away like other non-transparent companies do. Also, you'd assume that they'd mention that they don't want questions to be asked.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my proudest achievement, an article I find interesting, my favorite feature about Auth0, and they asked me to create an interesting hack on webtask.io   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Auth0 (Tallahassee, FL) in October 2018.

Interview

This is my third go-round with Auth0. Overall, I think their philosophy on how to administer a technical interview is progressive and thoughtful. The basic structure is this:

1.) Series of video call interviews that aren't super-technical
    2.) One or more exercises to demonstrate your skill as a developer

Over the past 2 years, I've had video calls with 5 different people at Auth0. Each person was pleasant, smart, and respectful. I have also performed a number of exercises, all of which seemed like a reasonable way to measure one's ability.

My gripe is the fluid nature of everything surrounding the interview. Here are the results of my three interviews:

#1 - I'm a good fit, but we need to move the start date roughly 2-3 months later (I declined)
    #2 - I'm a good fit... two weeks of silence.... the position has been canceled
    #3 - Good feedback from the hiring manager... two weeks of silence... we've decided to change the job description

So, buyer beware. From the extensive contact I've had with this company, they seem to have built an impressive culture and a wonderful product (hence my continued pursuit of a job there!), but from my experience, there is a very high chance of you wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• Describe how NodeJS handles scale versus other popular paradigms.   1 Answer

Nov 21, 2018 – Global Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your interview experiences. Please feel free to email me directly at katie.linn@auth0.com if you would like to discuss your experiences in more... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Auth0.

Interview

They sent some general, non-technical questions and a task to make a "hack" using their proprietary "webtask" service. In the email, they stated that this should all take, in total, 2-3 hours.

I sent the answers to the questions, along with my webtask to them later, only to be sent a highly vague and generic rejection email. I asked for feedback and things I could improve upon, but got no response.

It's very ironic that Auth0 spouts so much lip-service about their "transparent" interview process, and how they "value" transparency as a company, yet couldn't take 5 mins to give simple feedback on a task that takes the interviewee hours to complete. Frankly, it's disrespectful, unfair and disingenuous. I suspect that this interview process is simply a poorly disguised growth-hacking strategy for their proprietary "webtask" service that they *require* you to sign up for when taking the interview.

Interview Questions

Auth0 Response

Dec 10, 2018 – Global Recruiter

Thank you for the review on your interview experience. If you could please email me directly at katie.linn@auth0.com so we can discuss your experience and what we can do to improve this process.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Auth0.

Interview

I received an invite to speak with a recruiter fairly quickly. The screener asked pretty basic questions about work philosophy and interest in the job.

Next interview was with the hiring manager, a tad bit more technical. The questions were mostly about engineering/security philosophy.

Overall I’m impressed with the responsiveness of Auth0. Both interviewers we're friendly and answered all questions. I received a follow up rejection email a few days later which is much nicer than radar silence. I'm sad to say I wasn't a fit bit it seems like Auth0 has a nice hiring process.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you software engineering as a whole moving towards in the future?   Answer Question

Business Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Auth0 in August 2018.

Interview

The interview process I went through was irritating. It started out with Kim the recruiter requesting to move our interview from 2:30p to 2p, which was not a problem but I needed to move items on my schedule to accommodate. Once it was 2p, I received an email from Kim stating she would be 15mins late to our interview and she would email me once ready. It wasn't until 2:30p that we ended up connecting-- the original time we were supposed to meet, prior to Kim moving the interview to 2p. Kim was also very distracted during the screening process, she had a monotone voice like she was reading an over-rehearsed script. Additionally Kim apologized several different times during the interview because she was getting pings and answering them while I was in the middle of answering her questions. The process made me feel like Auth0 did not respect my time which was frustrating, and felt like a very green startup.

Interview Questions

• They asked you to break your work down into categories by %. e.g. 20% project management, 30% campaign creation, etc.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auth0 (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied for two jobs and received an email for a video interview for one of the positions. 15 minutes before the interview I received an email stating the interview was for both positions. When discussing with the interviewer (the hiring manager), she was confused so this created a weird aspect to the process. I thought she was the hiring manager for one position but I was later told it was a very different position. I did have another interview with a developer evangelist who was fine. In the end, I was told I was too senior for the position and removed from day to day activities. My take away is that when interviewing with a slightly disorganized company, be extremely diligent in knowing what the KPIs are for the role so you represent yourself correctly. Auth0 looks like a great company, I recommend applying.

Interview Questions

• What is professional feedback that you received? how have you taken customer feedback and updated a product?   Answer Question

Account Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Auth0.

Interview

After applying for the job online and receiving an employee referral, I was contacted by their own internal recruiter via email to set up a time for an initial phone interview, which then took place a few days later.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Auth0 in August 2018.

Interview

It was really fast, 3 weeks from first applying until offer. Was able to get a broad perspective of the team. Some companies hide the reps, I was setup for interviews with reps from the beginning, and they shared their honest feedback on the company and the role. Felt like a mutual discovery the whole time - I could tell they wanted to make sure it was a good fit for me too. Excited to get started!

Interview Questions

• What were some of the objections faced in your previous sales role and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auth0.

Interview

Almost immediately upon applying I was sent an automated invite to schedule a time with the recruiter, but the earliest availability was in 2 weeks. Thereafter I had 2 video interviews with some basic technical and non-technical questions (none stuck out as memorable or particularly difficult). Following that I was invited to a slack channel in which was a description of a multi-part technical implementation that was to take 8+ hours to complete. In my estimation any one of those parts would have given a good picture of my ability to code and spending a couple hours coding plus an hour discussing the rest would have been equally effective and more respectful of my time (I am balancing a job, a life, and several other companies I'm considering). By this time l I had progressed to the offer stage with a couple other places that interested me, so even though the Auth0 position was equally interesting, I opted to withdraw from the process rather than to take on the lengthy assignment.