BTS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BTS

3.4

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The interview process is multiple rounds, but Daniel (the recruiter) is amazing throughout the process. It typically goes: thirty-minute phone call, two video calls with senior BTS'ers, and then an in-person interview where you have to give a presentation. BTS looks for people who are business savvy and can be great writers, presenters, and salesmen/women. You don't have to be all of those things on your first day--show your strengths where you have them.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BTS (Conshohocken, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

A friend introduced me to the manager. We spoke informally first, then I interviewed with the entire team in the office and then with the manager in Mumbai. It was a little intimidating interviewing with everyone in the office, but I knew a few of them so that helped.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BTS (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Met a partner and 2 senior consultants at a conference. They were all terrific, friendly, and passionate about their business. I was instantly hooked - mostly for the energy, authenticity and enthusiasm they showed in their work. I was extended an invitation to the final round interviews - an intense 2 day showdown that included a 6 hour simulation done in teams of applicants (undergrad and grad); schmoozing sessions, unexpected, on the spot public speaking requirements, and finally a filmed presentation to a panel of current BTS consultants and partners. Lots of interaction with employees from all levels of the firm. Great hotel & food. Intense, for sure, but that matches their culture which is highly motivated, intense and collaborative. Fun people, but definitely hungry - very entrepreneurial.

Interview Questions

• We were required to do a presentation on the full business implications of the decisions we had made during the 6 hour simulation; I stumbled a bit on the difference between operating income and net income... mostly because I was so exhausted from the day long simulation, followed by a long night of partying with partners and consultants at the firm; that at 7:30AM my mind was working at a groggy pace.   1 Answer

It was an incredibly difficult decision, but ultimately, I was looking for a bit more flexibility in terms of geographic relocation (in the future) and project work. As well as a slightly more predictable schedule. The emphasis on sales was ok; but not a great sell for me.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BTS (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Typical interview process up to the in-person phase. They really place a value on top undergrad. Less emphasis on Masters candidates.
    Person to person up to the presentation and quality of interviewer varies.
    Presentation is usually before two senior directors and maybe one or two additional staff.

Interview Questions

• If you make it to final, expect a case study presentation. You are given two days to prepare a 30 minute presentation. 15 minutes of presentation, 15 minutes of QA from senior staff. Example case study is "Compare company performance of IBM v. Apple over a specific time period".
      You will be asked obscure questions on financial ratios. They are looking for how well you perform under pressure, how well you present concepts. KEEP IT SIMPLE. STay on point and answer questions as they are asked.   1 Answer
    • How comfortable are you in front of an audience?   1 Answer

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BTS (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Surprisingly simple process, perhaps because I was not interviewing for a technical or consulting position. I applied online by submitting only a resume and they contacted me for a first round in-house interview a week or two after that. There was no phone interview, which was surprising very welcome because it lets you skip a step and go straight to the "real" interview.

Things moved pretty quickly once the interview process began. I met with a fluid cast of characters who talked about the culture at BTS as well as the general idea of the role I was interviewing for. They are definitely looking for a culture fit here. The discussion did often veer towards the higher-level research methodologies that BTS uses, asking for your own suggestions and input about how you might change or improve them, how they relate to your own experiences, etc. These can be tricky because these methodologies can seem so abstract at first, so think on your feet!

The interview concluded and the next day I was contacted about completing a homework assignment, meant to test my creativity in research and analysis by writing a one-page mock blog post about a given topic. The goal was to make you research something that you may not be an expert in (in this case, neuroscience) in order to see how you adapt your writing to the topic. I had approximately one week to finish the assignment, so it was not a major strain on my every day life, which is very considerate on BTS' part. You have the freedom to write about it however you want, so it was very challenging but interesting at the same time.

In the early-mid stretch of the following week, I was contacted by an HR representative with a verbal offer, the official terms of which were ironed out by the end of the next day when an official letter came through. This was exactly two weeks after interviewing, so it was a pretty prompt process.

Very positive experience but I feel that my case is not necessarily applicable to others' here because my role is kind of unique and experimental. Other people post much more technical interview reviews for consulting positions - that was not my experience, but it would not have been anyway.

Interview Questions

• How would you change or improve our research methods in order build more prescient insights?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very open to my input. Asked me what I was looking for and the offer was exactly that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East China, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BTS (East China, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

4 rounds : HR- Case 1 - Case 2 & Role Play & Behavior Test - Final Presentation & Case 3
    HR Interview : Background Check
    Case Interview: Not difficult, just to understand data and give suggestions based on limited information. Also, make assumptions to solve the problems.
    Presentation: Industry research in several days, and present to employers

Interview Questions

• In role play, they tested how your perform when facing challenges from clients, and how to make breakthrough   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BTS in July 2011.

Interview

7 steps, very thorough, interview through skype, face to face interview, business case with a Director, 2 interviews with partners and a final phase which consisted of a dinner with people from the office to ensure fit

Interview Questions

• Business cases or scenarios where you needed to explain the implications throughout financial statements   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BTS.

Interview

I had a standard phone screening with a recruiter followed by two Skype or in-person interviews with current staff. I was not asked for a final interview and found out about 2 weeks after my last interview. Communication was good and the interviews were enjoyable. The process was very quick as opposed to other firms which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Why BTS? What attracts you to the company?   Answer Question
    • What other opportunities are you pursuing?   1 Answer
    • What is one company you would like to consult for?   Answer Question
    • Do you work better individually or in teams? Describe how you work in groups.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BTS (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I was asked to prepare a presentation on any public stock. I presented to a room of 4-5 consultants and a hiring director. They asked some tough questions designed to test my financial knowledge and see whether I was quick on my feet. Afterward, I had individual interviews with each of them - most were short and informal. The interview with the director was more formal and a bit tough. He was a very warm person but he could clearly see my weaknesses and he wasn't afraid to acknowledge these.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in BTS?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BTS (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

I talked with a Corporate Recruiter via skype and it was the normal HR type questions. Was invited in for a case interview from an old Darden Oracle case. I was given two hours to prepare a deck outlining the problems and then present them in front of about 6 people. Have a deck ready to input because two hours is not a lot (this is perfectly ok). Concentrate on ratio analysis (profitability, liquidity, leverage) and the financial statements. I felt like I cracked the case but could have been a little more prepared in the inner workings of my statement analysis. After about an hour presentation we had lunch and then had three separate two on one interviews. Long day. I liked the firm but probably wasn't a mutual fit.

Interview Questions

• What is the more important measure ROA or ROE? What are the downfalls of using only one?   Answer Question