BTS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BTS Interview Questions

Updated Jan 3, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East China, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BTS (East China, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

4 rounds : HR- Case 1 - Case 2 & Role Play & Behavior Test - Final Presentation & Case 3
    HR Interview : Background Check
    Case Interview: Not difficult, just to understand data and give suggestions based on limited information. Also, make assumptions to solve the problems.
    Presentation: Industry research in several days, and present to employers

Interview Questions

• In role play, they tested how your perform when facing challenges from clients, and how to make breakthrough   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BTS.

Interview

One informal interview with senior manager, followed by presentation on a company's financials and strategy. Overall, it was great - everyone was eager to answer my questions about the company and I found the experience to be extremely informative.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BTS.

Interview

I had a standard phone screening with a recruiter followed by two Skype or in-person interviews with current staff. I was not asked for a final interview and found out about 2 weeks after my last interview. Communication was good and the interviews were enjoyable. The process was very quick as opposed to other firms which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Why BTS? What attracts you to the company?   Answer Question
    • What other opportunities are you pursuing?   1 Answer
    • What is one company you would like to consult for?   Answer Question
    • Do you work better individually or in teams? Describe how you work in groups.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?   Answer Question

Business Analyst - Consulting Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BTS.

Interview

There were two rounds that I went through. The first was a screening interview focusing on the position and the culture of BTS. The second Interview was a much more role focused interview. Both of the interviewers were very professional and answered my questions promptly. The recruiter took over an hour to talk with me and answered all of my questions fully.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was a hypothetical about one of their current clients. Because I had no data on the client it was hard to answer on the spot.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BTS.

Interview

Applied through school career center, had an on-campus interview with the head of marketing and a marketing manager, who asked mostly fit questions about my internship experience, etc. They did harp on the question of what BTS does, which was interesting, as the website is woefully vague and nondescriptive -- it felt as though they as marketers were trying to get a sense of how others perceived the company, but unfortunately it got the interview itself off track.

Interview Questions

• How does BTS differ from other strategy consulting firms?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BTS (Conshohocken, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

A friend introduced me to the manager. We spoke informally first, then I interviewed with the entire team in the office and then with the manager in Mumbai. It was a little intimidating interviewing with everyone in the office, but I knew a few of them so that helped.

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BTS (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Surprisingly simple process, perhaps because I was not interviewing for a technical or consulting position. I applied online by submitting only a resume and they contacted me for a first round in-house interview a week or two after that. There was no phone interview, which was surprising very welcome because it lets you skip a step and go straight to the "real" interview.

Things moved pretty quickly once the interview process began. I met with a fluid cast of characters who talked about the culture at BTS as well as the general idea of the role I was interviewing for. They are definitely looking for a culture fit here. The discussion did often veer towards the higher-level research methodologies that BTS uses, asking for your own suggestions and input about how you might change or improve them, how they relate to your own experiences, etc. These can be tricky because these methodologies can seem so abstract at first, so think on your feet!

The interview concluded and the next day I was contacted about completing a homework assignment, meant to test my creativity in research and analysis by writing a one-page mock blog post about a given topic. The goal was to make you research something that you may not be an expert in (in this case, neuroscience) in order to see how you adapt your writing to the topic. I had approximately one week to finish the assignment, so it was not a major strain on my every day life, which is very considerate on BTS' part. You have the freedom to write about it however you want, so it was very challenging but interesting at the same time.

In the early-mid stretch of the following week, I was contacted by an HR representative with a verbal offer, the official terms of which were ironed out by the end of the next day when an official letter came through. This was exactly two weeks after interviewing, so it was a pretty prompt process.

Very positive experience but I feel that my case is not necessarily applicable to others' here because my role is kind of unique and experimental. Other people post much more technical interview reviews for consulting positions - that was not my experience, but it would not have been anyway.

Interview Questions

• How would you change or improve our research methods in order build more prescient insights?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very open to my input. Asked me what I was looking for and the offer was exactly that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BTS (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

I was asked to prepare a presentation on any public stock. I presented to a room of 4-5 consultants and a hiring director. They asked some tough questions designed to test my financial knowledge and see whether I was quick on my feet. Afterward, I had individual interviews with each of them - most were short and informal. The interview with the director was more formal and a bit tough. He was a very warm person but he could clearly see my weaknesses and he wasn't afraid to acknowledge these.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in BTS?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BTS.

Interview

Went through an HR interview, several interviews with their senior consultants/principals, ended with a final round that included a presentation. The initial interviews were all on the phone or through skype. The presentation had a challenging Q&A session but was ultimately focused on your executive presence. Everyone at the firm spoke highly of the company culture.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits/disadvantages of financing using preferred stock vs. debt?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BTS in September 2013.

Interview

Contacted by HR recruiter in response to my resume being posted in an organizational database. Invited to apply online to consultant opportunity for MBA graduates. Initial screening interview via Skype with HR followed approx. 2 weeks later. Conversational, general fit questions. Second interview also via Skype with current consultant, questions more strategy-consulting specific. Third interview also via Skype with another consultant (last minute change in interviewers), questions more business acumen related and sales-focused.

As an MBA candidate with management consulting experience, I was surprised by some of the questions, little focus on my past experiences consulting and in my MBA program, more focused on business strategy questions, specifically focused on marketing ROI and sales.

Overall, by my third interview, I could tell I was not a good fit for this organization as the consultants act as sales managers, more so than traditional management consultants as I was hoping for my own career. (One of the interviewers mentioned they each have revenue targets to hit quarterly/annually, focus on up-selling to clients, etc.) While all consulting involves client relationship management and a certain level of "selling," the BTS consultant role reminded me much more of friends I have who work as sales managers and executives than my own experience in management consulting.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an example of a company and how they make money.

Give me and example of any company and some market index factors of success.
      Answer Question