BUCA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.9

Sort:

Serer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BUCA (Columbus, OH) in November 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to Buca and received a phone call in less than 24 hours. The woman on the other end of the line seemed very excited to meet me, and asked if I could come in for an interview the following day. I agreed. When I met her the next day, she seemed enthusiastic about my resume. We discussed desired shifts and availability. At this point, I thought I had the job. She left to go run my background check (which is clean) and sent another manager in the speak with me. At that time, the interview went south. He was very impersonal. It seemed he did not want to be there at all. He asked me the same questions as the other lady, but treated me like an idiot. When I asked how long the background check would take, he responded with, "a few minutes to a couple hours. Do you know how to get out of here?" Just like that the interview was over. I left feeling very confused. It has been almost a week and I have not received a phone call. Not even to tell me they decided to go with someone else. I find this very unprofessional and rude. Honestly, I am a little relieved. Who want to work in an environment where they are treated in such a manner? No thanks!

Interview Questions

• They asked if I would be willing to work holidays.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at BUCA (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

Very Basic, About the same as all other companies. Prepare pretty normally. As long as you prepare yourself for usual questions you should be fine. Don't know why they make this 30 word minimum.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went above and beyond to help a guest?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Maitland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BUCA (Maitland, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was friendly and asked me a few uestions. Overall it was a short interview process and I got the job right then and there. All you have to do is go in with a smile and tell them about your previous incidents where you remained calm in a stressful situation. They do ask you to remember the menu which is beneficial in any serving job.

Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at BUCA.

Interview

Manager Sits with you to look over your application and resume.
    Asks general interview questions, explains the high-volume, fast-paced environment that you are required to work in. If they think you are fit for the position, they schedule you for a 5 day training program where you learn the Buca steps of service, menu, and other job duties. Each training day ends with a written exam of menu items, ingredients, specialty cocktails, and the wine list. On the final day of training you are required to do a "manager serve" where you serve the managers and head chef to show that your understanding of the steps of service, food and beverage knowledge, that you have a great personality and can provide excellent service.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe a time that i went above and beyond to exceed the expectations of the guest(s) and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BUCA in October 2016.

Interview

I applied and was contacted three days later. I accepted the job during the interview. It seemed that there was a desperate need for servers given that the holidays are approaching.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at BUCA (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Usually an interview with the AGM and then another with the Paisano (GM). They will sit you down and ask questions and make small talk. Usually if they like you and the GM is available, they will both talk to you in the same day. If not, they will ask you back another day to talk to GM

Interview Questions

• Sell me this pen/lemon/knife, etc.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you came across a situation....How did you solve this problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BUCA (Frisco, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

I walked in to apply. After filling out my application, I asked to speak with a manager while handing them the papers. They had no problem since it was a downtime in the restaurant. This is pretty typical of restaurant behavior so far. When the manager came, I answered questions about stress behavior, scheduling needs, income needs, and team-oriented work. I answered them all well and the manager told me to wait while she went to get the General Manager. He sat down and said, "First off, you got the job! But, why are you leaving your other job? Are you going to school?" That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions

• Why I'm leaving my other job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation phase. All servers get basically the same option. Minimum waiter wages ($2.13-$9 per hour, depending on the state), no breaks, and the number of hours you deserve based on work performance and attitude.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at BUCA (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Saw an ad on Craigslist and was asked to come in at a certain day/time. I was in line with five other people to interview. Met with one of the managers and they just got to know me. They called me back for another interview. Again, there were multiple people there waiting. Talked to another manager who had a list of crazy questions while she was writing down my answers.

Interview Questions

• She picked up a lemon and asked me to "sell it to her" while she judged.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BUCA (Santa Monica, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

I had one interview. My employer asked about my past employers and experiences. She also asked how I would handle certain situations at Buca. I gave her my availability and answered all her questions. She was very friendly and easy to talk to. I was happy that I wasn't nervous or feel intimidated.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle getting double sat, having a table checking out, and a table needing dessert?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Waldorf, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BUCA (Waldorf, MD).

Interview

The interview was very quick and easy and the interviewer was very friendly...Had to do a mock sells presentation. Was offered the position on the spot and shortly thereafter promoted.