Backbase Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 2, 2017

3.1

Frontend Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an initial call with HR to learn about the role and discuss my prior experience. I was given a small frontend project to complete and return within 48 hours. The requirements were pretty open in terms of modern frameworks/tooling. The only rule was to not use any boilerplate, templates, or plug-ins. In other words, show off your frontend skills utilizing best practices.

After the FE assessment, there was an informal call with the FrontEnd Lead more along the lines of "Get to know you/learn more about the company" chat which lasted about 30 minutes. After the exploratory call, I was scheduled for an onsite interview (role play). The role play was a mock presentation of the assessment demo with some members for the frontend dev team who pretended to be clients. The onsite lasted for about an hour and 30 minutes. That actual presentation was about 30 minutes and the remaining time was spent asking questions about the team, processes, and culture. The final step was a personality assessment and background check completed online.

Overall, I found the interview process to be fair and reasonable. Every step of the way was really laid-back and relaxed. All of my interactions felt like natural conversations as opposed to interrogations. I was initially nervous about the role play portion but the 30 mins prep time (and chat) help a lot. And finally, I really enjoyed the frontend assessment as it relied on leveraging real world experience and not trying to remember some obscure programming facts or some javascript anomaly. The interview process was solid and felt more natural than timed online assessments, as you are given the opportunity to shine and explain your work. The interview was not difficult but could be hard for someone that has a hard time presenting to others.

Interview Questions

• Not a question but advice--the role play may be filled with tech and non-tech people.   1 Answer

Senior Backend Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

The candidacy process was very positive!

The first phase consisted of a quick 30-minute chat with Backbase's talent acquisition specialist. The call was more of a high level introduction of myself, where I briefly discussed my work experience and learned a bit about the company. The conversation was very laid back and friendly.

Shortly after the call, I received an email regarding a coding assessment. The email provided instructions to build an application using a selection of technologies/frameworks (Java, Spring Framework, Tomcat, Maven, Camel, and a few others). The instructions were very relaxed, meaning that I could use a complementary technology, or framework in place of one that was listed (Spring Integration over Apache Camel, or Gradle over Maven, for example). There was also a list of optional features that I could implement for bonus points. I had three days to complete it. This coding exercise was very enjoyable, because it focused on a real-world scenario, and allowed my to freely express my style of coding and my way of problem-solving. I was very happy that it wasn't one of those traditional assessments where you get asked questions like "What is Inheritance?" or "Here's 5 lines of code. Will the program compile? If not, why?" It took about a week to get feedback on the assessment due to the team getting busy with finishing up a sprint and prepping for a release.

I eventually got word back that my coding assessment went well and was asked to come into the office for an in-persion interview. First, I met with the VP of Professional Services and the Solution Architect. We discussed my background as well as the results of my coding assessment. The conversation was very casual and I felt very much at home. We got a little technical and even did a little bit of white boarding, but nothing super intense. Very light and easy. I later met with two more individuals from the front-end side. Our conversation was more about the culture of the company, thinks they like, things that they think could be improved, etc. It was very "off-the-books" and transparent. I had such a great time that it didn't feel like I was there for 3 hours!

After the team had some internal discussion, the recruiter got back to me with some positive feedback and sent over a personality test that I needed to take. The test was more of a way for them to understand my work/leadership style so that they would know how to best guide/coach me with career development, etc. It took about 15 minutes to complete from my iPhone.

I received one more request to come to the office to meet the VP of Pre-sales, who was in town from Amsterdam. We spoke for about 30 minutes and got to know each other pretty well.

A few days later, I recieved a verbal offer over the phone. There were still some finalizing discussions going on behind the scenes, so it took a few more days to get the formal offer sent over for me to sign. I enjoyed the process very much!

Interview Questions

• What is your experience using Spring Security, or Apache Camel?   Answer Question

Frontend Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was invited in for an interview after completing the JavaScript program test. The entire process was very laid back. At no point did I feel uncomfortable at their office.

I was greeted by the HR recruiter until my two interviewers were ready to speak. I met with two developers who went over some questions to test my coding knowledge. Lastly, I met with a senior developer to discuss my desired career path.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle explaining code to a nontechnical client?   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

1) Initial phone screen with Backbase HR Recruiter. 2) Technical phone interviews with domain experts. 3) Onsite 30 minute individual meetings with Management and Technical Staff. 4) Personality Profile Survey and Background Check 5) Informal Offer (phone) 6) Written formal offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your most technically challenging assignment. Domain related questions on Computer Language Concepts and Syntax, Testing Techniques, and Technical Processes.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Wonderful. Each step of the process was easy to manage on my part. And I enjoyed interacting with each participant along the way. The process was well thought out and ended up being a fun experience. Things are moving quickly as this company ramps up in the U.S. but it does NOT feel like a start-up that doesn't know what it's doing. The people are passionate about the work and I could tell from the first phone conversation that it's work that I want to be part of.

I enjoyed interviewing here thoroughly and am happy to be joining this great company and team!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to prep a sales presentation with limited information and 80+ pre-made slides.   Answer Question

Mobile Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

Fairly standard set of interviews in the process. One short "Getting to know you" interview by phone. Then a technical assignment and review of the results. Later, a "Technical" interview by phone. Finally an in-person "Culture Fit / Role Fit" interview in Atlanta.

The technical challenge was a nice twist. For this position they assigned a small program to write. They provided clear instructions and an API to use. The assignment was appropriate for the position and fun to do.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had experience in a customer facing role.   1 Answer

Professional Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial phone screen, several phone conversation/interviews, followed by an onsite in-person interview panel. The interview was what I would consider 'average' in questions asked and what your expectation should be going into an interview. The recruiting team was very timely in response and helpful with all questions that I had. I felt that all of the questions I asked received very honest answers and the proper expectations were set during the interview.

Interview Questions

• My interview mostly consisted of me describing my experience and how that can relate   1 Answer

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly informal overall. I talked a lot with the recruiter leading up to the first face-to-face interview (and throughout the entire process) and he gave me a great overview of the company and what to expect. In my first interview, I met with the person I would be reporting to. We had a fairly casual conversation, rather than being peppered with questions. Since I interviewed so close to a holiday, a few of the people I needed to meet with were not in the office, so I had a second on-site interview a week later. The second round of interviews was very similar in nature to the first - informal conversation instead of formalized process (which I much preferred). They were more than happy to answer all of my questions and everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions

• What types of different methods/formats of retrospective do you employ?   Answer Question

Delivery Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Backbase (Atlanta, GA) in September 2015.

Interview

I talked with both peers as well as others I would be working with in the company. I had to come in an interview on 4 different occasions but that was due to the change in the role they wanted to put me in and the travel of the person I would end up reporting too. It is a very relaxed atmosphere with some very intelligent people. I did not always know in advance who I was speaking to on that occasion so that was a bit different. This company is just building the team in the Atlanta US office so the process is maturing and I am confident it will continue to improve.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe your current role with your current employer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backbase.

Interview

One phone interview with Recruiting, one Skype interview with Global Head of Marketing (based in Amsterdam), three in-person interviews with Sales and the CEO. The process was efficient and transparent. Each executive was friendly but direct. I appreciated their approach and share their excitement for the opportunities ahead. They appreciated my passion for the role and we agreed it was a solid fit.