Bay Area News Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bay Area News Group Interview Questions

2.6

Inside Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Apply online, but mostly by recommendation. If you know someone it's easier to get in. You'll be screened by HR first and then usually directly to the hiring manager. Sometimes they'll have you interview with peers also, depending on who happens to be running the show at the time. Also, be very aware that they pay women about 25% less than men in management. If you point out the discrepancy, they will either promote the men or threaten to fire you.

Interview Questions

• Fairly basic-- do you know this? Do you know that? What would your manager say about you now? Describe a time where you had a difficult customer, what did you do? Describe this, describe that. They're just following a script, no training has actually been given to the hiring manager on how to interpret your response. Basically they're just looking for someone they like, and yes, they hire on looks, if you know someone, and if they've been told to hire you. There'll be a role play on how to pitch products, so study up on current promotions before you go. Dazzle them with words like DMA and market share and you're in.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had an interview over the phone with Crystal Diaz and she is very friendly and professional. Then I came in and met with two other people, they were very friendly and easy to talk to. The last interview was a role play and "desk work". The 3rd interview was challenging as I only had 1 hour to complete my desk work and prepare for a fake customer warm lead call on the phone. I was VERY IMPRESSED with their professionalism, timely interviewing process as the recruiter Crystal was very attentive when I would ask her status updates. I did not get the job and Crystal, the recruiter called and thanked me for interviewing. I was so impressed with this company as she was so courteous and told me that they would keep my resume on file and to apply for other jobs that I want. I have been interviewing a lot in the past 3 months and not one recruiter has called me on the phone when I did not get the job or even contact me back if I do not get past the first interview. I don't even get an email. What a class act and this speaks volumes about a great reputation in a great company that I would want to be a part of.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      If I called your boss what is 1 thing you need to improve on and 1 thing she would like about you?
      Tell us a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group.

Interview

Submitted resume in online job opening system. was contacted my HR person who conducted an initial phone interview. Was contacted by email about a week later and had in person interview set up with my eventual direct manager. I was invited back to do a mock sales meeting later that week. I was officially offered the job about 3 weeks after the initial contact.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to go through a mock sales call. i was given a sheet to read with details on a client and then asked to role play a call with a training manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

very short. I was just out of college and had little leverage. That combined with the fact that it was a newspaper gave little to no room to negotiate a decent salary.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group.

Interview

Recruiter does intitial phone interview followed by group interview and then a challenging role play. There was no personality testing. Face to face group interview is done w two mgrs. asking situational questions. "Tell me about a time..." "Explain..."

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a manager you didnt like and why. How did you make it work?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salaries are low and they will start from the bottom of the approved range. If you dont ask for more you wont get it. They base their salary range on your experience and what you bring to the table. Salary is typically half of the total comp. Ask for a copy of the comp plan before accepting. Although those change often too.

Interview

Spoke with internal recruiter. This was a basic introduction and Q/A. After speaking with the internal recruiter, there was a phone interview with the hiring manager. Very detailed in the questions about digital knowledge and consultative approach to selling. After the initial phone interview, there was a face to face with a panel. After the panel interview, there was a role play and that was it.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (San Jose, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Phone, in person with manager(s), last round for sales is usually a role play. The role play included a written portion of scenario based questions. The second half is a role play with a manager(s). Be prepared to ask discovery questions.

Interview Questions

• Specifics around product knowledge and sales approach. Consultative methodology is preferred.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (Oakland, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I started working in 1987 and they we were something. They hired my desire my attitude. But in 1987 they hired strong leader personalities and did not care what sex they were...not until later promotions became so political.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses? lol   1 Answer

Circulation Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (San Ramon, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

First, there is a phone interview. Then, if you pass, you'll talk to a couple of managers, as well as some of the other circulation employees. They'll ask you basic questions. Each phase is 30 minutes. Finally, you'll talk to the hiring manager. If they like you, you're probably in. Nothing fancy.

Interview Questions

• Just the basics. Tell me about yourself. Are you good with computers? When can you start? Do you have any questions?   1 Answer

Multimedia Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walnut, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (Walnut, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Fist interviewed are done by Phone for Company's Recruiter. 2nd interview is pace-to-pace with hiring Manager & Company Trainers (which is very unusual. Sales Role play for products presentation. You have to b prepared when you go to second interview because they make you go to products presentation and sales cycles. Then they send me an offer letters via email coming from Corporate recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult but Unexpected is Q & A.
      1. Which products will you sell if you have a customer that are new in the area & just open their business/Door?
      They don't have clientele base or they don't know anybody.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is a lots of room to grow & the commission's structure are very lucrative? Companies bonus & all expenses paid. Car allowance, cell phone allowance and more.

Manager Advertising Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bay Area News Group (San Jose, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Different company at the time. No knowledge of current processes. I have no idea what it is like today. Perceive that toda is very different from when I interviewed.