Big Ass Fans Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Big Ass Fans Interview Questions

Interviews at Big Ass Fans

2.8

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans.

Interview

A recruiter with the company contacted me in the spring of 2014 saying the company was interested in beefing up talent in its public relations/marketing department, and asked if I'd be interested in having a conversation.

I agreed, and we set up a time time for me to speak by phone with two representatives from the department. They said the position they were interviewing me for hadn't be posted yet and indicated they were doing some early stage outreach.

About a month and a half later, I followed up and got this response, "As we discussed, we had you in mind for a position that has not yet been posted. We have not yet made any decisions on moving forward but will certainly be back in touch as that process evolves."

They never got back in touch and did not respond to subsequent followups.

I periodically checked the website, and in August 2014 saw a posting for a position that looked like what they they had described, so I applied for it. Soon afterward, an HR representative send me a writing test. It involved drafting a case study and ad--tasks I've done many times in my career. I completed the assignment and returned it to the HR rep.

I never received a response, not even automated, indicating the company had received my assignment. I began to wonder if my work had made it though the email system, so I did some research and found out the HR rep wasn't a company employee, but was instead an intern and not using a company email address.

In October I received a rejection email for the position I'd applied for. As of the end of January 2015--five and half months after I applied for it and eight and a half months after the HR representative originally contacted me--the position is listed as open on the company website.

Interview Questions

• I can't think of anything that was particularly difficult or unexpected other participating in the initial phone interview without having seen a job description, which hadn't been written yet.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans (Lexington, KY) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by phone and interviewed in-person. Asked to complete a writing assignment where brevity was clear. Very concerned with "fitting" into the culture. I applied to this position and interviewed three different times with three different sets of individuals. In my case, I would have to initiate communication with HR representatives to ensure I was moving towards the internship The three interviews were a great experience and improved my interviewing skills.

Interview Questions

• Why should we choose you over all the applicants we receive ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans (Lexington, KY) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was somewhat drawn out, but very straight forward. There were no trick questions. They basically asked me to review my resume with them and then asked questions based on that. It was actually a very enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Interview

HR sent me an email praising my resume and asked that I complete two technical writing assignments for print and social media marketing. They sent me numerous pages of customer interviews and product specs on which to base the content. The very next day, I spent hours on the assignment, poring over the data and reading BAF marketing pieces so as to understand and utilize the right style and tone. Just before I submitted my work, I received a follow-up email from HR letting me know they'd changed their mind about the position and wouldn't be hiring for it after all, "but thanks anyway!" BAF must think mighty highly of themselves to treat applicants in such a disrespectful manner, wasting someone's time and energy so flippantly. Do they also "just decide" to eliminate occupied positions? Based on this and others' experience either working or interviewing for BAF, it sounds like a reflection of a pompous, disorganized company culture that doesn't respect employees, current or potential. This isn't a company I'd ever again be interested in working for, but thanks anyway!

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans.

Interview

Was asked to complete a short two-part assignment. The assigment took about three hours to complete. Incorporated a case study and a problem/solution question. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in March 2017.

Interview

Bad, Unorganized, slap-dash, I went through a phone screen and 3 rounds of interviews, over the course of about 2 months before receiving an offer. I also had to do a BS "skills test" and present it, then afterwards they wanted me to do a second, totally different "skills test" but they made me an offer before I completed it. Also in one of my interviews the person who was to be my direct report showed up late claiming he had literally just been promoted to my future boss, that level of structural chaos proved to be pretty endemic of the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans (Lexington-Fayette, KY).

Interview

Questions over the phone and then met with several employees and with former CEO, who presented the biggest challenge, but he no longer owns the company. Many things have changed since he left, and interview process may be one of them.

Interview Questions

• Related to former CEO's personality. Something to do with how I handle criticism.   Answer Question

Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans.

Interview

They were professional and asked questions pertaining to my experience. Friendly and respectful. We went over my portfolio. They really wanted to make sure I fit into their workplace culture. First interview was by phone and two face-to-face interviews followed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked to negotiate and they said "absolutely!"

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans (Lexington, KY) in October 2014.

Interview

I was introduced to the company at a school career fair and was subsequently invited to an open house, where I was able to sign up for a traveling sales internship with the company. The interviews themselves were performed exclusively over skype. I talked to a panel of HR people for my first interview, then had separate interviews with a few upper management employees a week later.

When the interviews were completed, minimal followup was provided by the company. We had mutually established the next step in the process and it just never happened. I emailed several contacts in the company, but received no timely responses. It wasn't until I called that they finally let me know they didn't choose me. It would've been nice to get any form of feedback, but I figured it wasn't worth my effort.

Interview Questions

• All of the interviews were very basic and similar, mostly going over my resume and asking about pertinent experience for the position.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big Ass Fans (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in January 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was unpredictable and informal. Interviews themselves were fairly easy. Interview was performed by employees not HR personnel. Coming in for an interview was an impressive experience. The facilities are very nice, and from an outsiders perspective the company appears a very "fun" place to work. The company markets itself very well with this image, and upon visitation it appears to be true. It's not until you've been at the company for a long time that the veneer begins to fade. I'm not sure really what else to say about the interview process. I don't recommend working here, but the interview process isn't too bad if you're able to get one.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

did not attempt to negotiate