BigCommerce Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 5, 2017

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall a very positive experience, from the internal recruiter to the CTO. They are very professional and respectful which can be seen reflected in their excellent company culture. They are without a doubt a global company looking to employ the best in their fields with a focus on the team and best fit.

Technical Support Ninja Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

There were 4 steps to the interview after my application was submitted.
    - Phone interview
    - Technical Assessment
    - Build a store assignment
    - In person interview
    After they had approved of each step, they would send you the next step. They are looking for people who both have a base knowledge of the industry and the ability to find answers to questions that they don't know.

Interview Questions

• Describe DNS and a domain name to someone who isn't technical at all.   Answer Question

Applications Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Unprofessional. Asking Operations guys to conduct interview for App Sec. Interviewers were talking something between them and laughing during the interviews while I was answering the question. I had to stop to see if they are actually listening or not? They did not ask (I guess they did not know) any question exactly related with App Sec and decided not to progress further. I guess interviewers were some junior fellows who were conducting interview 1st time or did not know what to ask someone with 14-15 years experience. Overall, unprofessional behaviour and unpleasant process. Looks like they did

Interview Questions

BigCommerce Response

Apr 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We truly value the time candidates spend with us and strive to provide the best interview experiences at BigCommerce. We are thoughtful in planning our interviews and ... More

Technical Support Ninja Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Excellent process - I was impressed with phone screen - in person interviews - the team was very clear on expectations and deliverables. I appreciated the responses and the time they spent with me.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

There was a 3 step interview process 1)Phone screening 2)Technical exam 3)In-person interview
    I received the offer 30 minutes after the in-person interview
    The in-person interview was 2 30 minute halves, and I was able to meet the managers and look at the office during that time

Front End Developer Interview

Interview

They asks me to complete 2 assignments within 72 hours. They said it will only take one hour to finish, but the tasks is so tedious and has many requirements, so I spend a lot of time to complete it according to their requirements, as it needs a lot of css adjustment so that it looks the same as the mock up image. The frustration is that the team which review the assignment doesn't communicate with me as to why my assignment was rejected, so you doesn't know the real reason! Very unprofessional! I'll say think twice whether it is worth to put all your time, energy, and effort to complete it!!

I have also completed their assignment half year ago, the requirement doesn't say that not to use any modern framework. They doesn't state their requirement clearly in the instructions, and they reject the application just because I am using bootstrap..

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BigCommerce.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview. They asked me basic HTML questions. Then the interviewer told me that she would send me a assignment. I got a email that I have been added to a repository on githib. So I clicked it. There were instructions on how to complete it and the assignment was made up of two parts. Now I started doing it asap and spend a lot of time to complete it according to their requirements. After I checked the the code. I get a email from the recruitter on monday that, "Oh sorry! I forgot to send you the challenge.. here is the link.". When I clicked the link it was a totally different exercise. I was really angry on them because I wasted nearly two days on that exercise to make it perfect. So, I requested the recruiter to consider it as it is their fault. She said she would send my exercise to the hiring team. I followed up after two days and she sent me a generalized reject email(template). and she refused to give proper feedback. Like wtf?? Do you think i am a cheap labor? To respect the candidate atleaast you could give a proper feedback after spending two days on that exercise?

Senior Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview process was very well organised except a few loop hole which I found. But overall a very smooth interview process. I was interviewed first on phone by a Director. This was followed up with 2 more phone based interviews with other team members. After that I was invited for a face to face interaction at their Austin office. Over there I had about 5 more rounds of interview. All interviews were very conversational and were executed with great care. I was pretty much satisfied with the interview procedure till then. But after that, I waited for close to two weeks and was informed later that they have chosen to promote an internal employee for the referred position.

Interview Questions

• Past experiences, Questions about situations and how would I react in them   Answer Question

Web Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

First I submitted an online application, then I had a phone interview, then I had an in person interview. I was offered a job that day. It was straight forward and everyone was nice.

Interview Questions

• What is the first suggestion you would try with a stubborn customer?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process started out with a phone screen with a Director in the PM Group. Then I had an onsite with another Senior PM in the group. There was a mix-up and he wasn't in town, so we talked online. Then we had a face to face the next week. In the meantime, I was asked to fill out some forms that basically replicated my resume. Then I had a day of interviews, one in person and the rest online. This included the lunch hour, but there was no lunch. This took another week or so to arrange. One of these interviews was a repeat of the first phone screen. As you can tell, this was a disjointed, disorganized process that involved a lot of sitting in one of their conference rooms video chatting with someone in SF. I could have done the majority of my interviews with these guys from home. The process also took nearly a month to complete, with long gaps where I didn't hear from them. The eventual rejection itself came three days after my final interview. They did give me feedback on why I was rejected, which is unusual.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a part of Bigcommerce?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

An initial phone screen with the recruiter was pleasant, then with the hiring manager; likewise pleasant. I then attended an interview in-person with the hiring manager followed by one with a peer. I was told that I would not, after all, be meeting with the third person with whom I was scheduled to meet. I suppose this means that the first one did not go well... I've never actually had a bad interview --never been in for an interview and not ultimately offered the job. In any case, I never heard back from the recruiter. Played phone tag, and then radio silence. Very unprofessional of the recruiting staff! One at least expects a "thank you, but no."

Interview Questions

• The interview itself was rather easy; no questions stood out, by my memory.   1 Answer