Blue Apron Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (Richmond, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Wow! The SoHo office looks fancy and impressive! Too bad that wasn't my experience at all.

The Richmond office emitted a spooky drug den vibe. No, I'm not stating this hyperbolically. My interview was at 5:00, darkness already pressing against the sky. I snapped a photo of the office entrance, sent to some friends, and "drug den?" was the consensus.

I'm not sure to whom the blame belongs here - it's mainly because their corporate office is conjoined to the warehouse. I couldn't believe that I arrived at the right Blue Apron. The parking lot was crawling with mostly semi-trailer delivery trucks. I called and emailed my recruiter a bunch, and he wasn't picking up. A nice warehouse worker who was smoking a joint confirmed that this was it. Parallel to the barbed wire fence, the corporate office entrance was stationed at the side of the warehouse, almost like an architectural afterthought. The stairs were open between steps and aged neglectfully, then led me to one of the grayest doors I've ever seen.

I was already running 15 minutes late from confirming and finding the address. I mentioned my difficulty in finding the office to my interviewer, and she said: "Oh yeah, we always allow 15-20 minutes for the candidate to find our office, it's pretty much expected." I was disturbed to hear this - why would you treat company time and the candidate's time so flippantly? Not only is this a mutual time waster, but also bestowing more stress to the candidate than is necessary. All because...you don't want to crank out 2-3 lines of directions in the interview invitation email, for fear that you may put candidates off because of the office's appearance?

The interview itself was a bit better - I met with the national recruiter and then a hiring manager. The conversation wasn't anything special. There weren't any hard-hitting questions.

Anywho, I'm going to wrap this up, because it's getting too wordy - but Blue Apron, at least the one in California, doesn't consider or care about candidate experience. There was no follow-up after my interview, after all the trouble I went through of getting there. All's fair in the recruiting game, AS LONG AS you always follow up. I'm a good sport about rejection based on that principle...but they never followed up, which I absolutely hate. Who even likes being left in the lurch like that, anyway?

During my job search, Blue Apron had to be my most bizarre interview yet. The experience added new definition to my having "seen it all."

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (Jersey City, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

The process an getting the job with blue apron is very easy they will hire anyone . They have the interview in groups of 3 people with one interviewer . Vey basic questions but as they group hire the day goes slow as you'll be there for 5hrs waiting around as they give speeches about blue apron and work ethic

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Linden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blue Apron (Linden, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was easy. Since they were/are attempting to hire 2000 employees for their Linden location, they are pretty much accepting anybody. As long as you show up to the interview and say that you are a team player, can follow directions well, and can stand on your feet for long periods of time in cold working conditions it seems likek they will hire you.

Interview Questions

• - What is your greatest strength/weakness?
      - If your supervisor tells you to pack something one way and quality control says to do it another way, what would you do?   Answer Question

Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (Richmond, CA).

Interview

The interviewer ask simple question about my experience. You don't have to look professional or be qualify to do the job. I send people in street clothing. It is in a horrible neighborhood and the area look shady. You could get lost extremely easily because the site is in back of the building.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me online to apply for an engineering role at the company. The mission seemed interesting so I decided to give it a go. The entire interview process took a little over a month with a phone screen and 2 onsite visits.

Overall I found the process and people very pleasant to chat with and they answered the many questions I had for them. Since I wasn't in a rush to leave my current position I felt it was a great opportunity to interview them to find out what they were about. I came away with the sense that the organization was growing rapidly and many things were in flux (can create many opportunities). Like startups this young, there is also a lot of tech debt but an eager and dedicated young workforce ready to move mountains. The mission itself sounds fantastic.

The interview process itself was a mix of algorithmic/design/behavior questions. On the algorithmic questions I have to mirror one of the reviews on this site and that they try to hard to be like Google. This turned me off a little initially because questions with "tricks" or a key "insight" don't really assess what a senior engineer does in their day to day accurately. Anyway that was minor but what really disappointed me about the process was they wanted to bring me back for a 2nd round which was almost as long as the first. In total they needed ~7 hrs to interview me to make a NO decision. I found that disrespectful. If you can't make a decision after 4 rounds, then it shoud be an automatic NO so you can bring closure. Show respect for the candidate's time. It takes a lot to rearrange schedules and come in for a long stretch.

Interview Questions

• Variations of algorithmic programming questions that other tech companies have asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Took a bit more than 2 weeks. Got contacted by recruiter who set me up with a phone interview. Got an onsite where they showed me around the office (which is amazing btw) and then I had like 4 interviews.

They were super kind throughout the entire process and the people seemed to really love working there. I happily accepted :)

Interview Questions

• Phone screen was a simple algorithm question and then a weird non coding "thinking" problem. Wasn't sure why they asked the non coding question.   Answer Question
    • On site was a design question, an algorithm question, and then two personality and previous experience questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blue Apron.

Interview

First round on-campus, 30mins with 2 software developers

3 technical questions, the first one was about a Ruby on Rails project I worked on since I mentioned in my resume that I had previous experience with it.

They never followed up with me on the status of my offer, so I am assuming I did not get it. The process is pretty long for undergraduates, since they interviewed me in September and told me I would find out about the offer in December, by which time I would have made a decision on another offer probably.

Interview Questions

Blue Apron Response

Oct 18, 2016 – Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience. Please note that it takes a few weeks for our teams to make these hiring decisions. In the meantime, please contact us at campusrecruiting@blueapron.com with any... More

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

1. Initial recruiter phone screen
    2. Technical phone screen
    3. Straightforward 2-3 hr take home
    4. In-person interview; 5 consecutive interviews with 2 Software Engineers, 1 Engineering Manager, 1 Director of Engineering, and 1 Product Manager

Interview Questions

• Recruiter/Technial screen: Why are you looking to leave your current position? What are you looking for in your next position?   Answer Question
    • Take home: Write a rock paper scissors implementation (more detailed specs provided)   Answer Question
    • Technical screen: What is MVC? Why does it exist?   Answer Question
    • Technical screen: How would you add the ability to take surveys to an MVC web application? How would you add the ability to run third party analytics on answered surveys?   Answer Question
    • Technical screen: How would you implement Microsoft Excel?   Answer Question

Blue Apron Response

Jun 27, 2016 – Human Resources

We're glad you had a thorough and positive interviewing experience with us! If you ever have any suggestions as to how we can improve, please let us know!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blue Apron (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

A take-home coding assignment about Rock, Paper, Scissors. After that there was a 30 minute phone screening. The final step was a 7 hour in person interview (you read that correctly, 7 full hours with no scheduled breaks).

Interview Questions

• PS:
        1) Flatten an array.
        2) Given an expression, write a function to evaluate it. Very liberal on the assumptions where the question became incredibly easy.
      In-person:
        This was a unique interview that I've seen. Majority of the interview was behavioral questions not technical. I was only asked 2 technical architectural questions and one pair-programming exercise. The pair-programming exercise was "Write a function that returns the next 3 Mondays".   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blue Apron (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

-Take home interview question
    -If you do well, you're invited for an in person interview with 2 engineers and a PM.
    -I loved it... they seem to try really hard to weed out difficult personalities and find pleasant and talented people

Interview Questions

• -Build out a RPS command line game.
      -Various programming puzzles in person.   Answer Question