Brighterion Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 19, 2017

2.4

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Brief introduction, my previous experience in other companies
    Asked some core java questions and if I am familiar with technologies used in the company like XSLT, Jquery, XML, JavaScript, Sprig and Hibernate
    Havent still heard from them since they said they will be interviewing more candidates

Interview Questions

• Pagination in Hibernate
      Iterator
      native query in hibernate
      abstract class
      Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I always thought the company did some interesting work. The data science interview at Brighterion is probably the worst interview I've had in the past three years and I've done at least 100+ Data Science interviews over the past three years.

They give you a questionnaire which asks questions such as "create a table in oracle DB", "list five AI technologies you're familiar with" and a bunch of other questions along these lines.

It's a complete joke. If the interview process is any indication, you probably want to stay away from this company if you're looking for a Data Science job

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

They made me wait almost an hour for my interview, even though I was on time.
    Interviewed with hiring manager and a CEO. Hiring manager looked like he did not prepare for the interview and came up with most of the questions on the spot.
    CEO asked personal questions like marital status.

Entry Level Data Science Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Brighterion in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume online with no cover letter. I get an interview the next day. The interview takes about an hour. I get interviewed by two technical people, the CEO, and a manager. The technical interview asked about machine learning concepts, and asked me to suggest methods for using credit card data to predict fraud. Like the other reviews on glassdoor indicate it was pretty easy, however the questions did at least require some machine learning background to be able to answer. The CEO was very friendly, asked me about myself, said I reminded him of his daughter who is the same age and looking for work. He said he liked me and was going to offer me a job, but indicated he was doing it as a favor to me because there were so many qualified people applying. He flattered me a lot, and he talked a lot about how great and smart everyone at the company was. On the way out he told me the one value at the company was honesty, which pleased me at the time, but after reading other reviews it made me afraid that this would just increase his ability to micromanage and control me. The office was cubicles and didn't look fun. I was told the hours would be long, and the pay would be bad, but that in exchange I'd be taught cutting edge machine learning.

Interview Questions

• Given data of the form: datetime, card#, location, type of purchase:
      How would you train a classifier to catch 99% of the fraud with only 20 false guessed frauds allowed to every correct guessed fraud?...
      Talk about this problem for a while.
      Answer Question

Reviews on glassdoor looked bad.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Long wait, then very easy problem set suitable for a class quiz during freshman year of college.

Modeling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I was asked by the management team about my background, especially my internship in college. After I spoke about that, I was given a quiz that covered mostly Unix, SQL and some machine learning terminology. I didn't do very well on that quiz but they decided it didn't matter much, and I was hired a few days later.

Interview Questions

• There were some very obscure questions about differences between various Unix-based systems.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate anything.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Very basic questions, long wait. Only took about 40 minutes to accomplish, no white board problems, just QA session. CEO though went on about how great the company and himself was. Gestured to show how thick a pile of resume on his desk was.

QA Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Responded to an ad on Craigslist and received an email for an interview with the QA manager. He went over my resume and I talked about my senior project. That lasted about 20 minutes.

Then, I received an email two days after that and went in for a second interview with the CEO. I waited for probably an hour for him to arrive due to traffic. When he got there, he first stated that my school, UCSB, was the worst university out there. The next hour was just him talking about the company. He also said that people from Google and Amazon were turned down, and that I would be very lucky to have this opportunity.

There was a 3 question quiz that took 15 minutes to gauge my education. One question was to write a single bash script that took in a sample.txt file and outputted any line that had FOO or BAR in it.

Interview Questions

• Given an array [dog cat llama...], traverse the array and for each element in the array, write that element to a file that begins with the first letter of that element. For example, write cat to c.txt, dog to d.txt, etc.   Answer Question

I declined because I got offered a better position from a different company the next day. Also, I was never really asked if I wanted the position, the CEO just assumed I did because he thinks it is the greatest company in the world to work for. Don't get me wrong, it is a global leader in fraud prevention but the salary was very low ($3000/month), and the CEO was very conceited. At one point, he said that I should be working for free.

Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hiring was a total joke: 1/2 hr interview with head of engineering who asked 2 questions of any import. He doesn't speak English very well, so this isn't surprising, but his communicative skills in toto are quite lacking. 2 days later, hour long talk with the president who is very affable, though deluded about how great his product is. I can see he's proud, but he could use some more common sense.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the ilom on Sun Solaris servers   1 Answer

Negotiation

the president went over my resume; asked salary history and gave me what I requested. As a contractor I came up w/ a fairly high number and he gave in easily.

C++ Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Brighterion (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Like many of the other reviews about this company, they seemed to either not care or to be intentionally wasting my time by being habitually late. I was spoken to aggressively, passive-aggressively and a bit condescendingly.

I was sat in a small room with a window at my back to take a written test. I waited and waited when finished, until a man that was staring at the back of my head finally entered. He had the office across from the interview room and was seemingly observing me the entire time. He eventually left and then I waited some more.

The CEO entered. After selling the company at length, he began to pitch me on how much I'd learn and why I should accept a lower salary for the privilege of his teachings.

When they called me back for a second round, I was left in the lobby for more than 30 minutes. There was no one around to explain the delay, so I left. I promptly received a passive-aggressive email and an unpleasant voicemail.

Interview Questions

• Could you make a commitment to work here for X amount of time without quitting?   Answer Question