British Gas Interview Questions | Glassdoor

British Gas Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at British Gas in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, completed questionnaires lasting about 30 mins. Had a phone interview the next day which I passed, was told I would have a role play phone interview a few days later, they send you a few sheets to work off, highlighting the structure of the phone call. You really need to prepare with these sheets or you will fail the role play.

I had two scenarios in the role play, basically had to use my own initiative to work out if each customer was a priority and needed an urgent appointment. Passed and was invited to a face-to-face interview a few days later.

You really need to do your research on the company for each round of the interview process, especially their values as my final interview was structured around BG's three values. Learn about their products, latest offers etc. They will ask you questions about your own experiences within customer service, use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to talk about your experiences.

Was offered the role the day after my face-to-face and am very much looking forward to starting at British Gas next week!

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at British Gas (Leicester, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very friendly and easy going. They don't make it very formal, just want to have a chat with you and ask a few questions. As long as you have the qualities they're looking for they'll hire you. Just be confident and straightforward

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you've gone out of your way to help other?   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at British Gas (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied online and received a call from HR. After a few simple questions I was asked to attend a phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview took place without issue and then they went quiet. I emailed twice, rang the HR guy (who promised to get back to me) and then emailed again. I never got any response, acknowledgement or even a rejection. Just silence. I have no idea if this behaviour is typical of British Gas.

Interview Questions

• Few technical questions but lots on leadership. Tell me about a time when you managed someone out of the business? What is your leadership style? How do you motivate a team?   1 Answer

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Leicester, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Absolutely horrendous. I worked at this exact place ten years ago, and I feel I've been treated like an idiot. I passed the application which is harder than banks applications, also I passed both telephone interviews, and at the facing interview felt not happy, as both interviewers were twenty plus younger than me and I felt the main interviewer did not like me from the onset. I asked if I could use personal examples he said yes, which now I see I should have used experience when I worked there only. Not clear at all, and he was quite hesitant. I did not get the job , and feel partly discriminated against ,the interview system too rigid and not at all personal no q about your personal life , asked me to sign form for saying I'm not having holiday for next 3 months and really had no intention to give Mr the job. Also British gas expect you to apply to expierion which sends to British gas, and I had to do this at an internet cafe, and faxed over personal information , which I paid for.
    All before the interview. British gas will get the wrong people with their methods , and the woman I spoke to who was interviewed also when I was, was from out of town turned up late and was given the job, though has never done the type of work before. I was told I can apply again in 6 months. No thanks, if I'm not good enough after doing the exat job before for 2 and a half years till 11pm _doing overtime, going on bank holidays, then I never will be. I'm disgusted.

Interview Questions

• What was the thing that was the hardest change   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Uddingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Uddingston, Scotland (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online for the customer service advisor position. A couple of days later, invited to a telephone interview. Telephone interview was a lot of questions about why do you want to work for us etc. Passed the telephone then was invited to a role play session on the phone the next day. This gives the client the idea how you can handle and deal with customers. It went well with feedback saying I was a very bubbly person to talk to on the phone e and after this, I was invited to the face to face interview the next day. We're very nice and welcoming. Asked me 2 questions each of their values as a company: 1. Do what's right, 2.love simplicity and 3. be extraordinary. Quite surprised they didn't ask me any questions on the company but I revised these just in case, so I was prepared for any questions they asked. Hear back tomorrow, fingers crossed!

I hope this helps as reading other reviews on this site, really helped me!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

Interview Questions

• Have you ever went out your way for a person/employee eg covered a shift for another person?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at British Gas in September 2016.

Interview

I completed the online application and recieved a response the same day saying I was successful to the next stage. They were very prompted and wanted a telephone interview the next day. First I had the telephone interview asking what I know I know about the company? What can I bring to the role? When was a time I helped a customer in need? How would I respond to an angry customer? Make sure you show your passion about helping others. They are very interested in people who have done volunteering.
    I passed to the next part which was a telephone interview this I found quite nerve racking as you have no idea how the customers are going to acted and they test you on very suttle things. I was successful even when I made a few mistakes just make sure your sympathetic and hit the main points.
    I made it to the final interview which is face to face they were very friendly and made you feel comfortable even though I felt they were doing this to catch you off guard. The questions were based on scenerios like how you deal with change? A time you worked as a team? Helped other people? Recieved critism?
    They told me they would ring in 48 hours which they did and was successful! My only down side was i made it clear I couldnt do every weekend which they said in the interview I wouldnt. When I was told I have the job they said I would be working every weekend. This has made me reconsider the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Make sure you ask about shifts!

Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at British Gas (Livingston, Scotland (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, lots of questions, mechanical reasoning test, personality based questions, took quite a while to complete and then received an email inviting me to a telephone interview the next day, it all happened really quick!

Telephone interview last around 30 mins and is mostly based on experiences you have had.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview questions i got were, Why do you want to work for British Gas?, Can you tell me about a time you worked as a team?, Can you tell me about a time you have used tools? Can you tell me about a time you have went above and beyond to assist?

All to be answered using the STAR principle (situation, task, action, result).

You will be told at the end of the telephone interview whether you have passed and if you do you will get an invite to an assessment centre, where you will undergo a group discussion scenario, face to face interview and a practical test.

Not done that part yet, so can't really tell much about it just now!

A straightforward but enjoyable process thus far and the while recruitment process is pretty in-depth and you can tell they have put a lot into it.
      Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor- Edinburgh Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at British Gas (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

After sucessful completion of online assessments they invited me for a telephone interview which lasted about 20mins. Telephone interview consists of two parts..first part was general questions that you would normally expect and second part was scenarios such as tell us a time when you worked as team, experience about dealing with a difficult customer, time when you identified a customer's need, time when you supported your collegues.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at British Gas (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview process was really good. 2 females took me in to a room, asked questions about myself which made me feel at ease. One took notes as the other asked questions. Mostly competency based, nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a mistake and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at British Gas (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

In the final interview, you have 10 minutes to prepare, they will give you some hints of what they are going to ask. The process is 25 minutes. Questions are based on the online personality test, like think of a time you work in a competitive environment. Think of a time you show your care about other people. Think of a time you work in a environment with a lot of changes. At last if there is time left he would ask why you choose BG and why we should hire you.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time when you receive negative comments from a group.   1 Answer