CA Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Senior User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Submitted resume online and apply the job, got contacted by HR, submitted some work sample, scheduled two screen interviews with hiring manager and senior manager. Went for onsite interview, waited for about a week, got the offer.

Interview Questions

• What was the challenge you face in previous job and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies in April 2017.

Interview

As others have said in the reviews CA is just throwing positions out there and seeing what they get but aren't really committed to hiring anyone. I had a few phone screens weeks apart but they were all about the process and not the job. I don't know why they keep doing this. Other friends have applied and have literally received thanks but no thanks emails at 6am when they applied to positions at 12am at night. So suspect. Needless to say I never heard back at all.

Interview Questions

• What about our hiring process do you think we can improve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Fort Collins, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

i applied online. got an email from HR to set up a phone interview and then the team member called for a 20 minute interview. the process is still going on

Interview Questions

• have you worked in groups? tell me about your experience when you had a conflict with a group member. difference between linked lists and arrays.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CA Technologies in April 2017.

Interview

After applying, I was contacted by a recruiting specialist with the company, but located at a different branch. There was a very short screening call with the recruiter before a second interview with a contemporary at another sister office was set up. The second interview was also by phone and lasted just under 45 minutes. They were very pleasant to talk to, asked relevant questions as well as answered my questions about the company and current process. A third interview was then set up with the positions direct superior. Unfortunately, I had to attend a funeral which meant the earliest I could have schedule the third phone interview was a Friday (which is never ideal). The Friday morning of the interview the interviewer needed to reschedule for the end of the day. I do not know if this had bearing on the outcome of my interview, but from the phone call, it did sound as if the interviewer were driving at the time of the interview and seemed not completely engaged.

Interview Questions

• What application(s) do you use to plan your day and goals?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies.

Interview

Typical process. Phone screen with recruiter and then onsite interview with about 4 people including the manager. Mostly programming language specific. Multiple groups might interview you based on your skills but most likely you don't have an option to get offers from all the groups.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Lisle, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a three stage interview process for me
    * On-Demand Interview where you create a video montage for behavioral questions.
    * On-Site interview where you meet managers and current employees in the position in which you applied and they will ask you various questions (some technical)
    * One-on-One video call (technical interview)

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you interact in an environment where tensions are very high?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CA Technologies in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an e-mail from HR representative to complete a video interview. They asked a couple of questions which weren't too difficult to record. Took them over a month to respond and it seemed as if they had hundreds of submissions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Binghamton, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume, interviewed via Montage where they asked about 5 questions, and I video recorded my responses. One final interview after they review your video responses. Given 2 minutes to answer each question, and had time to prepare before recording your responses.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you possess that are positive, and what are some you could improve on?   Answer Question
    • What is your technological background?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CA Technologies (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Sent in my resume after career fair through one of the recruiters who recommended me.
    i got a response a week later for a phone interview, which i did and i had 3 more 30 minute interviews over a 4 week period, got an email and phone call with an offer

Interview Questions

• a problem you encountered that you could not solve? how did you eventually solve it   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CA Technologies.

Interview

After I applied for the job I got a call from HR fairly quickly. I was called in to meet with the hiring manager a couple weeks later. The interview was laid back, and the hiring manager was very nice. The only issue was it took about 2.5 months for me to actually get into the job. Being a big company things moved very slowly.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

CA did an incredible job in terms of communicating with me regarding the steps in the interview process, following up, and creating a collaborative, approachable environment that is far too rare as a junior developer. Everyone with whom I met was kind, approachable and willing to help as the company prioritizes culture fit and attitude over experience.

The interview process involved a brief conversation with a recruiter who then passed me along to the phone interview which consisted of speaking with two senior engineers for an hour. The first half an hour was standard personal interview questions regarding experience and future direction. The second half an hour was a "live coding" exercise where I was given a basic "write an algorithm that does x"-type of question and then upon completion of the first question was given a "more difficult" (but still pretty standard) question that build upon the first question.

Going into this interview I was told by the recruiter that they intentionally do not ask "tricky" questions as many other companies do-- they were truly looking to see that you can write a basic string manipulation function and are able to work collaboratively and have good communication. During this interview, the engineers on the phone said not to worry about optimization and they were simply looking for a working answer. They were more than willing to demonstrate and explain specific methods of which I did not remember the intricacies.

Within 24 hours I heard from the recruiter that they were going to pass me along to the next round of interviewing-- the on-site technical interview. The recruiter was not able to give me as much information regarding the conduct of the on-site interview, but I received an email with the names of five engineers and CA employees with whom I would be meeting. We scheduled the three hour on-site interview for the following week.

During the on-site interview I was given a brief tour of the office and met the first two engineers with whom I would be working for the first hour. They gave me a choice of three different programs to build that all included writing functions that manipulated some data-- relatively straight forward. It seemed they were looking at my thought process again rather than writing perfect, optimized code. I opted to do some planning on a whiteboard before diving into the code and the first hour flew by. During the second hour, two more engineers took over the interview so I took a moment to explain what I was doing and what I was thinking. Each person with whom I met was very kind and helpful and truly gave a collaborative vibe. The office is VERY collaborative and set up with four desks in a square: four keyboards, four mice, four monitors, but two computers so you and your neighbor (in this case, the interviewers) are working directly on the same files. At one point I mentioned remembering something in ECMAScript 6 but didn't remember the intricacies. The engineers did not hesitate in pulling up their personal laptops to look up the documentation. Again, the second hour flew by and I wasn't able to finish the program, but had been testing throughout the interview and was able to catch a couple bugs in the last minute.

After this technical interview, I met with the Senior Director of Software Engineering, the man who would tentatively become my boss if offered the position. He was extremely approachable and kind and we spent about half an hour discussing other offers I had received, what my future direction was and what I was looking for in a workplace. It was extremely conversational and friendly and felt more like a discussion than an interview.

I left the interview feeling more excited than I anticipated (and I went into it being very excited!) and was told that the recruiter with whom I was working would be in touch soon. Because my interview was on that Friday, I was originally told that someone would touch base that Monday. On Monday, the recruiter sent me an email that said that they did not have a decision yet, but would let me know by Wednesday. Wednesday came and I was waiting all day for a call. Early afternoon, the recruiter called and said that they still did not have an answer but would reach out to me definitely by the end of the day-- this commitment to communication absolutely set CA apart from other interviews that I had and was direct and clear. At the end of the day, the recruiter reached out with an offer that exceeded my expectations greatly that I eventually accepted. The entire process took about three weeks (as my interviews were both on Fridays and the office was closed on two different normal-work days for the employee ski day and presidents day). The recruiter was diligent in responding to my emails even on a holiday weekend. All in all, it was the best interview process that I could've asked for as a junior dev and am thrilled to have accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much all of the questions asked covered basic data manipulation and/or iterating through data.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that takes in specific data and prints that data in a specific pattern.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that checks a given data set for a number of potential patterns and outputs the rank of the data   Answer Question