CA Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 27, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Senior User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Submitted resume online and apply the job, got contacted by HR, submitted some work sample, scheduled two screen interviews with hiring manager and senior manager. Went for onsite interview, waited for about a week, got the offer.

Interview Questions

• What was the challenge you face in previous job and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies.

Interview

Typical process. Phone screen with recruiter and then onsite interview with about 4 people including the manager. Mostly programming language specific. Multiple groups might interview you based on your skills but most likely you don't have an option to get offers from all the groups.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Lisle, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a three stage interview process for me
    * On-Demand Interview where you create a video montage for behavioral questions.
    * On-Site interview where you meet managers and current employees in the position in which you applied and they will ask you various questions (some technical)
    * One-on-One video call (technical interview)

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you interact in an environment where tensions are very high?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CA Technologies.

Interview

After I applied for the job I got a call from HR fairly quickly. I was called in to meet with the hiring manager a couple weeks later. The interview was laid back, and the hiring manager was very nice. The only issue was it took about 2.5 months for me to actually get into the job. Being a big company things moved very slowly.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

CA did an incredible job in terms of communicating with me regarding the steps in the interview process, following up, and creating a collaborative, approachable environment that is far too rare as a junior developer. Everyone with whom I met was kind, approachable and willing to help as the company prioritizes culture fit and attitude over experience.

The interview process involved a brief conversation with a recruiter who then passed me along to the phone interview which consisted of speaking with two senior engineers for an hour. The first half an hour was standard personal interview questions regarding experience and future direction. The second half an hour was a "live coding" exercise where I was given a basic "write an algorithm that does x"-type of question and then upon completion of the first question was given a "more difficult" (but still pretty standard) question that build upon the first question.

Going into this interview I was told by the recruiter that they intentionally do not ask "tricky" questions as many other companies do-- they were truly looking to see that you can write a basic string manipulation function and are able to work collaboratively and have good communication. During this interview, the engineers on the phone said not to worry about optimization and they were simply looking for a working answer. They were more than willing to demonstrate and explain specific methods of which I did not remember the intricacies.

Within 24 hours I heard from the recruiter that they were going to pass me along to the next round of interviewing-- the on-site technical interview. The recruiter was not able to give me as much information regarding the conduct of the on-site interview, but I received an email with the names of five engineers and CA employees with whom I would be meeting. We scheduled the three hour on-site interview for the following week.

During the on-site interview I was given a brief tour of the office and met the first two engineers with whom I would be working for the first hour. They gave me a choice of three different programs to build that all included writing functions that manipulated some data-- relatively straight forward. It seemed they were looking at my thought process again rather than writing perfect, optimized code. I opted to do some planning on a whiteboard before diving into the code and the first hour flew by. During the second hour, two more engineers took over the interview so I took a moment to explain what I was doing and what I was thinking. Each person with whom I met was very kind and helpful and truly gave a collaborative vibe. The office is VERY collaborative and set up with four desks in a square: four keyboards, four mice, four monitors, but two computers so you and your neighbor (in this case, the interviewers) are working directly on the same files. At one point I mentioned remembering something in ECMAScript 6 but didn't remember the intricacies. The engineers did not hesitate in pulling up their personal laptops to look up the documentation. Again, the second hour flew by and I wasn't able to finish the program, but had been testing throughout the interview and was able to catch a couple bugs in the last minute.

After this technical interview, I met with the Senior Director of Software Engineering, the man who would tentatively become my boss if offered the position. He was extremely approachable and kind and we spent about half an hour discussing other offers I had received, what my future direction was and what I was looking for in a workplace. It was extremely conversational and friendly and felt more like a discussion than an interview.

I left the interview feeling more excited than I anticipated (and I went into it being very excited!) and was told that the recruiter with whom I was working would be in touch soon. Because my interview was on that Friday, I was originally told that someone would touch base that Monday. On Monday, the recruiter sent me an email that said that they did not have a decision yet, but would let me know by Wednesday. Wednesday came and I was waiting all day for a call. Early afternoon, the recruiter called and said that they still did not have an answer but would reach out to me definitely by the end of the day-- this commitment to communication absolutely set CA apart from other interviews that I had and was direct and clear. At the end of the day, the recruiter reached out with an offer that exceeded my expectations greatly that I eventually accepted. The entire process took about three weeks (as my interviews were both on Fridays and the office was closed on two different normal-work days for the employee ski day and presidents day). The recruiter was diligent in responding to my emails even on a holiday weekend. All in all, it was the best interview process that I could've asked for as a junior dev and am thrilled to have accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much all of the questions asked covered basic data manipulation and/or iterating through data.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that takes in specific data and prints that data in a specific pattern.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that checks a given data set for a number of potential patterns and outputs the rank of the data   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oyster Bay, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Oyster Bay, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Called in to do an interview with 2 individuals and then turned out to be 6 people. Was very relaxed with very little technical questions. However the process was a nightmare. Emails back and forth with different HR reps and then ultimately they emailed me telling me the position was cancelled due to budget needs.

Interview Questions

• If you had a table of last names in a database how would you find a specific last name?   Answer Question
    • If your neighbors computer wasn't getting on the internet how would you help them ?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you failed and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your goals?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Islandia, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Islandia, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

This was a video interview. You can take it at your most convenient time, and the whole process was around an hour. Depending on how you prepare your answers. There was 8 of them, but half of those question are basic information about your authorization and whether you will be able to work in their specific location.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself; have you been used any database software; what was one of your successful project/experience and why.   Answer Question

Principal Agile Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

I had the prescreening call with one of the regional managers and we did the standard set of questions about healthy teams, SAFe, KanBan vs Scrum... He has known me for some time by reputation and as a colleague

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict with customers   1 Answer

Cloud Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Quick turn around by Principal Engineer for interview. Interviewer was probing the extents of knowledge around cloud computing. Spoke about openstack pods, cloud foundry, and yaml. The discussion went on for 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• if you have set java -mx to 2GB why does linux show the process taking 4GB memory.   1 Answer

API Product Evangelist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Disappointment is the first word that comes into my mind when I think about this company interview process. I was approached by CA Technologies recruiter and I have shared my resume and details with the recruiter. I even shared my availability with the recruiter and he sent me a interview or initial screening interview which I have accepted.

I was waiting for the call on the day of the interview and the interviewer neither called me nor left me any message. This shows how they care about the prospective employees and the standards they have set to schedule interviews. I do not have blame the whole company for this horrible experience. It is absolutely fine for the interviewer to reschedule the interview for some urgent reasons. But recruiter not even interested to respond to my email although he missed the interview schedule or not confirmed the schedule.

I would never recommend working with such hiring managers.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CA Technologies (Tampa, FL).

Interview

This company has a recruiter. I was contacted within 3 days and was scheduled for a Phone interview. Then was scheduled for an in person interview. Hired within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• What could I bring to the position to help the company succeed.
      What does a good Company Culture mean to me