CB Insights Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CB Insights Interview Questions

Interviews at CB Insights

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for the software engineering position at CB Insights after seeing a posting for the job on Hacker News and emailing their careers email. There was a 30 min screening call with one of the founders, and then I was brought in for a 4 hour intervew with various members of the engineering team. Each interview included a technical aspect (usually whiteboarding), and then time for Q&A at the end. I thought the technical questions were challenging but enjoyable, and the team was very receptive to questions. After that interview, I had a phone call with the other founder the next week, which was definitely much more behavioral, and a few hours later I ended up getting an offer. They had already asked for three references.

Overall it was a really great experience, and I really liked the people. I ended up going with a different offer because I was looking for a slightly larger company, but it was certainly a hard decision, and I got really thoughtful and thorough answers to all my questions throughout the interview process, and found everyone to be friendly and down-to-earth. It's a smart team!

Interview Questions

I wanted to work for a larger company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY).

Interview

Met the recruiter and a software engineer at an event. The recruiter did not seem very organized/professional, as she seems to be wearing pajamas...but I accepted an interview anyways because the engineer was friendly and nice. They sent me a coding challenge on HackerRank that included 4 questions for 75 min.

Interview Questions

• One question on hash tables, which I answered correctly, three others on dynamic programming, which I was not expecting and didn't prepare for at all. I reviewed DP later, and recalled that those questions were ripped straight from the textbook with minor adjustments...is that how they measure the aptitude of their software engineers? Anyone who reviewed those questions would not have any issue passing the test, regardless of their actual coding ability, because that was the majority of the questions.   Answer Question

CB Insights Response

Oct 2, 2017

Hi, I'm Mike, VP of Engineering at CB Insights. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. If it's helpful, I'd like to explain why we use HackerRank - you might be surprised to know we don't like using... More

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

phone interview, followed by take home hacker rank challenge, then onsite that required some preparation. I am a huge fan of this process because it tests actual skills, not just algorithm puzzles. If you get to the final round expect to spend some time preparing an API framework that you can use during the onsite.

Interview Questions

• questions about manipulating json data from an api and serving it in another. design question regarding one of their products.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CB Insights.

Interview

Their recruiter reached out to me directly about a position there. Things went well, and I went for an onsite interview. Spoke with 2 engineers for 2 hours about technical topics, both whiteboarding and writing actual code on a machine. That went well, since the recruiter pulled each of them out for a couple minutes towards the end, presumably to ask if it was worth having a cofounder talk to me. I spoke with a cofounder about the business. Afterwards, before leaving, the recruiter asked me about my timeline, compensation expectations, my thoughts, etc. The recruiter essentially said that they wanted to make an offer, but that if they make an offer, that they also wanted me to say yes to their offer immediately without having other offers to compare with. Essentially, they didn't want to have to compete. And indeed, when you look at the salary data reported on this company on Glassdoor, it does look like their compensation is below average among software engineering roles. Shortly thereafter, they followed up by rejecting me.

Interview Questions

• Write an API that acts as a middle layer between a front end and the actual back end   Answer Question

CB Insights Response

Feb 20, 2018

Menaka here, VP of People Operations, at CB Insights. Thank you for taking the time to interview at CB Insights and for providing candid feedback. I'm sorry to hear your experience was not a good... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

Started off with call with recruiter who was very nice. Was sent an unnecessarily difficult take home exam on Hackerrank. These company are recruiting like they want to hire Google level talent without the salary or benefits. They are missing out on potentially good candidates due to these high standards.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY) in March 2019.

Interview

The process itself was very transparent, with the internal recruiter explaining up front what the process would be like. There was a phone screen, a code challenge, a 3 hour onsite (4 interviews) with whiteboarding and culture fit, and then the offer. They were very organized and respectful of my time.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone you don't like being on your team.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone call, very short and very few questions. Didn't even ask about my background and wasn't very interested in knowing me better(was HR interview). Makes me think they interviewed me just to do it.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY).

Interview

My interview process was thorough, fair and fast moving. From submission to offer, there were less than 48 hours between each step. The process started with a phone screen, then an assessment, followed by an in person interview, then a final phone screen and an offer. The entire process took about 2.5 weeks. Each person I met with or spoke to had a strong sense of humility and transparency. All of my questions were answered and I felt confident that CBI was looking to hire a top tier candidate for this role.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY) in December 2018.

Interview

Ten-minute phone interview (after which I said to my recruiter “there’s no way I’m advancing in the process after that rushed call.”). To my surprise, I was invited (within a day) to interview in person. Went to the office shortly after and, over a period of about 3 hours, met with a few people from HR -(again having the same experience face to face as I did on the phone). HR rushed through their questions by rote, so the result was not a meaningful exchange and I later realized that the answers to questions about the job’s specific responsibilities (that they invited) were at best not accurate, at worst misleading. The HR interviews were followed by interviews with some senior people. Offered the job the same day.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths? Weaknesses? (Nothing challenging or groundbreaking).   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CB Insights (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a pleasant 10 min phone call simply asking about my background and what I know about the company. I then received an assignment which I had 48 hours to complete. About a week after sending the assignment back completed, I was scheduled an in person interview with the hiring manager and two employees in the department. The interview was very relaxed. The questions were thoughtful. I was there about two hours. I never got a chance to speak with the HR manager after the interview. A week later, I received a generic rejection letter. I responded thanking them for the opportunity and asking for feedback from the interviews. I was rejected any feedback. After investing a lot of my time into pursuing the company, the least I would want is some feedback. Because of this, I have gained nothing from this interview process and it was all a waste of time.