Cactus Communications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cactus Communications Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

They sent an assignment and I edited it. It was very straightforward, with no real interaction with people at the other end. Felt like I was interviewing to a bot.

Interview Questions

• They sent an assignment to edit that was barely recognizable as English. I sent back my editing suggestions.   2 Answers

Freelance Translator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (New York, NY).

Interview

You will be given a timed translation segment to complete. Content is based on the fields of specialty you indicate in your application. My segment was about 350 words, and the window for completion was a very generous 3 hours. There is plenty of time to carefully translate, check, and polish the English before submitting. You can Alt+Tab to other windows for dictionary work while completing the trial. I cannot remember whether it was possible to copy and paste the original text for searching, but I assume that it was not. Strong reading and typing skills in the source language will help. There is also an option to flag segments the trial document with comments, such as for a proper name or reference which will need to be confirmed. The test is meant to confirm not only your translation ability but your academic writing skills. Experience writing and reading research papers will almost certainly help in capturing the desired tone.

Translator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (New York, NY).

Interview

applied online and was given a couple of samples to translate. Did not get back to me after the time specified and so I emailed back checking out status. Was finally onboard after company restructuring was complete. Smooth process though unexpectedly stalling out. But should be fine now as restructuring was done.

Interview Questions

• No person-to-person interview. Only pieces of sample translation to work on and email back.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Remote, OR) in January 2017.

Interview

Submitted an online quiz, this was multiple choice gauging English grammar and scientific content skills. Once passed that (instant feedback), was sent a sample manuscript section to edit with the standard rubric for doing so. Heard back within a week that I had actually not passed that section, but was being offered a different editorial position based off of my scientific background.

Interview Questions

• Which of these statements does NOT have a grammatical error?   Answer Question

Freelance Academic Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cactus Communications in July 2016.

Interview

I have worked for CACTUS (Editage) before as a freelance editor and wanted to change my area of expertise. I was told I would have to reapply to do so. Despite having edited for them before and having over 5 years of editing experience, I somehow failed the 40-minute, 15-question online editing test. As others have noted, the questions were too subjective for me to be able to answer them with any confidence, and I didn't have a good sense of what the reviewers were looking for (I tested for psychology). I would have much rather proven my skills with a sample paper to edit.

Also as others have noted, the company does not provide you with a score or with any feedback, so it's impossible to know if I got all of the questions wrong or just one or what. Very disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Something like: If you had to edit this sentence without losing any important content, how would you change the following sentence?

Far too subjective. Who determines what is important? The author? The editor? The publisher?   Answer Question

Freelance Science Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

It was all online. I found them through and online search for science editing companies. I sent and email and was given a link to an online test. I did not meet their desired benchmark the first time I took the test. Fortunately they allow you to re-test after 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Online test: Many questions were to pick the most problematic error in a sentence.   1 Answer

Humanities Editor Interview

Interview

Submitted basic info and my resume, then took an online test. Most of the online test questions were impossible to confidently answer without more context than what was given, so I imagine I got some of those "wrong." I have an advanced degree from a major university in a writing-intensive program and am an editor and tutor for ESL students, so I think I'm sufficiently qualified for the position, but the test is too subjective to accurately test that. It would be better if they just gave a sample essay to edit.

Interview Questions

• Many questions ask which is the best revision that retains the same meaning but is grammatically correct, but what if the grammatical errors themselves lead to multiple possible meanings? What if the original sentence is factually incorrect? For example, if Dracula is referred to as the "hero" (incorrect), should the revision be "titular character" (correct) or "protagonist" (incorrect and also not analogous with hero, but might be considered closer in meaning to some, subjectively)?   1 Answer

Cactus Communications Response

Jan 7, 2016 – AVP, Author Services

Thanks for your feedback. We are in the process of revising the humanities test and I have forwarded your comments to the team in charge of this exercise.

Meanwhile, please write in to... More

Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Morgantown, WV) in January 2016.

Interview

As an autistic person, I find that interviews are quite insurmountable these days. With the freelance position, I was required to take a simple editing test. Once I had passed, I was given a sample piece to edit (only a paragraph or two). I absolutely love that the entire process is performance based. Not having to deal with the stress of social situations/different styles of verbal communication has made the job so enjoyable for me. I recommend it highly for anyone who has struggled with interviews in the past and wants their work to be the deciding factor.

Interview Questions

• Complete a 10-15 question test in your area of expertise.   1 Answer

Freelance Science Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blue Bell, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cactus Communications (Blue Bell, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Test was so miss worded. They might wanna edit their test questions before they give it out. "..it are four questions below." This was how they worded some of the test questions. It really didn't make any sense because the test itself needed editing. I'm afraid that this company is chasing it's own tale. My competency in english and physics obviously doesn't reflect the incompetency of the test.

Interview Questions

• Questions in editing scientific documents.   7 Answers

Cactus Communications Response

Jan 6, 2016 – AVP, Author Services

Dear Candidate,

The instruction actually says: "Read the following passage. Below it are 4 statements..."

Please avoid quoting incomplete phrases out of context as it can be quite misleading.... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cactus Communications.

Interview

Basically I contacted the company online and was told to submit my resume and a cover letter describing my expertise. I then filled out some basic information through their portal such as how many words per minute I can edit, how often I can accept assignments, which subject area, etc. When my answered were reviewed I was sent a confirmation email that I was hired and went through a short training online about their policies for editing.

Interview Questions

• I was sent a page or so of a sample text to be edited which I completed in MS Word, track changes mode, and sent back to them for review.   Answer Question