Carbonite Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Carbonite Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2017

2.8

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Carbonite.

Interview

Nice, smart team who have a great space in down town Boston. I was impressed with every team member I spoke with. They asked the right questions and made me feel very comfortable

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Carbonite (Indianapolis, IN) in July 2017.

Interview

The recruiter did a short phone screen of a few technical questions and then set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. I got feedback from the recruiter very quickly after the phone interview and an in person interview at the Carbonite Indy office was set up. I was given a tour and talked to three engineers individually. Overall they were most interested in my thought process and how I go about analyzing and solving problems.

Interview Questions

• For most of the questions I was given a scenario and asked how I would go about solving the problem.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Carbonite (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, then interview in the office with everyone I would be working with, so I got to know the team I would be with and to see the office. They answered my questions honestly and I'm happy with the decision

Interview Questions

Carbonite Response

Oct 24, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear your had a positive experience while interviewing at Carbonite!

Marketing Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbonite.

Interview

Had a phone interview with an HR Representative, and less than a week later had a phone discussion with the hiring manager. Both interviews went really well! After my conversation with the hiring manager, I felt extremely confident and thought at the very least I would be given an opportunity to have an onsite interview to further make my case on why I am the best candidate for the position.

Less than 48 hours later, I find out that they are moving forward with other candidates who better fit there needs, even though I honestly don't know how much more I could have said during my phone interview to convince them that the job role would have been a great fit based on my experiences and background. I find this reason very generic and very vague, and the prompt time it took to come to this conclusion I find to be very concerning, and dare I say a little shady. I find many hiring managers these days have a very one-dimensional mindset, and its no wonder why people are finding it so difficult to get ahead or promoted these days. Finding the perfect 10 candidate doesn't always mean that person is indeed the best candidate.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were generic. Examples below:

1) What made you interested in applying for this position?
      2) Describe your responsibilities in your current position?   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbonite (Boston, MA).

Interview

Completely bad experience!

I worked with HR on multiple occasions to be interviewed by their technical staff. All told I probably spent two weeks with multiple days onsite. Their technical staff really like what I had to say with a few exceptions. Some of their architects seemed threatened by my experience. The VP of Engineering was excited to have me there.

Things went south when they asked me to architect a solution for a problem they were having as a part of the interview. I felt uncomfortable doing this because it would address major issues they were having. They then asked me to submit a document on the architecture and present it to their team. At the time I wanted to escape my current job and felt I could really have a positive impact on Carbonite. So I proceeded, created the document, and presented my architecture.

The very next day I got a call from the recruiter saying that I was to high level and not really technical. The presentation and document I provided had extreme technical depth. There was technical details including algorithms used, details regarding high availability, multi-tier design, and much more. Their claim that the document was not technical was completely untrue.

This interview was probably the most unethical moment from a company I have experienced in my entire career.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to whiteboard architectures that I have implemented and describe the challenges.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Carbonite (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from Recruiter to set up initial discussion. Next round was a telephonic technical interview with hiring manager. Basic OOPS and C# concepts like Dependency Injection, Anti Forgery token etc. Final onsite interview with the team, 4 rounds one hour each. Basic DS and algorithm questions. C# questions like difference between IEnumerable, IQueryable etc.
    After the onsite interview Recruiter emailed me and said received positive feedback but was waiting on other candidates.
    After a week got rejected email saying my experience does not match with requirements. I guess they are too selective.

Interview Questions

• Basic DS and algorithm questions. C# questions like difference between IEnumerable, IQueryable etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbonite (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

I received a mail from the Recruiter if I am still interested in the position.
    I had initial phone screen from Team Manager. It was nice speaking with him and called for onsite post my resume walk through. The position they were hiring was for Frontend
    I had five in person interviews with the engineers in the team.
    All the interview focussed primarily on basic JavaScript.

Interview Questions

• Asked about call, apply,bind methods in javascript.
      How do you find a missing number in 1..n numbers.
      Difference between == and ===?
      Design question on how you design a web page for a particular usecase
      Type Coercion in JavaScript
      Describe advantages of using MVC pattern?
      Asked about Angular basics, data binding etc.
      How you implement Encapsulation in JavaScript?
      The difference between map() and reduce() method in JavaScript?   Answer Question

BI Report Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Carbonite (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

Pretty casual, no pressure. First spoke with HR on the phone followed with the Hiring manager a few days later. Met again and just once onsite. Be prepared to meet with the entire team and spend about 2-4 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carbonite (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Simple algorithm questions. Their main focus is on the technology rather than the problem solving capability. I do not blame the engineers. The VP of Engineering in Sunnyvale office is extremely confused person. He was never convinced why I am leaving a bigger company to join a company like theirs. It actually made me question his trust in the company and his products. He went ahead to check my references and it seems he was satisfied after talking to them. I am assuming an offer was on the way but maybe his suspicious nature got the best of him. I would never want to join such an unprofessional company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carbonite (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position online. HR contacted me within a week.

Phone calls:
    Had phone conversations twice, both times with different manager. Was OK.

In-person interview:

I was told the interviews would last for 3 hours. Was fairly excited that I would be asked some good to great technical questions. Here is how it played out:\

- Met the HR. Her questions
      -- Why are you looking to change?
      -- Are you interviewing other companies? Are you going to take up the offer if they extend one?
      -- What is your salary reqs?

- Met the VP. No technical questions. Professional fit questions only.
       -- Describe yourself in 3 words
       -- We need the engineer to interact with other non tech teams and sometimes even with customers. Are you willing to do that?

- Met 3 different managers, one of them was a hiring manager. No technical questions. Again, only professional fit questions.
      -- The hiring manager mentioned that he wants all his employees to be always working on other technologies so that they are ready to switch jobs in the future.
      -- I asked the one other manager about what he likes the most about working, to which he replied by mentioning everything except for the kind of work he has done at the company.

- Met an engineer: Professional fit questions only. I don't even remember the discussion.

The experience was mind numbing. In a nutshell, I spent 3 hours interviewing and there was not a single technical question asked. Bad reviews about the company on Glassdoor could also explain the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• - Describe yourself in 3 words
      - We need developer to interact with other teams. Does it work for you
      - Do you have any open source projects?   Answer Question