Central Transport Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2018

2.3

City Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillside, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Central Transport (Hillside, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Submitted application directly to their website. Got a call from HR to come in to fill out a more detailed application. After filling out the application at the terminal I had a phone call with someone from the hiring department asking me about my experience and my past employers. I got a phone call the next day and accepted the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Central Transport (Warren, MI) in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR rep from HR-1, who asked some questions over the phone and then set up an interview. The interview was very pleasant. First I had to take some basic tests, to measure personality and visual speed and write out the answers to a few questions. Then the interviewer took me onto her office to go over the details of my application, resume and the company. When that was done, she led me back to the collections department where I had a casual interview with the collections manager. She was very outgoing and easy to talk to. We wound up talking for over an hour, but it was very pleasant. Waiting for some news now, but iy seems like a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Central Transport (Warren, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was extremely short compared to most. The questions that were asked were typical interview questions. Nothing varying to much from the norm. I filled out questions and was required to write a couple of essays. I meet with someone in HR for the interview and then went for a shorter interview with the department head. i was hired a couple of days after my interview.

Interview Questions

• how would your previous employer describe your work ethic   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Central Transport (Warren, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was called back for an in-person interview. The entire process took about 2 hours. They have you do some writing and number exercises before the interview. The actual interview was fine, she was very friendly and tried to keep it casual. I met with the manager afterwards which was nice, she gave me a more in depth description of the position

Interview Questions

• Who is your biggest motivator?   1 Answer

Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Central Transport (Chattanooga, TN) in March 2015.

Interview

1. What do you like about our business? How would you change what you don’t like?
    This question does two things. First, it gives you insight into how a candidate will verbalize something they don’t like. Will they talk about the problem and then immediately suggest a solution, or will they tell you that your business is perfect when in reality, it probably isn’t? Look for people who talk 5 percent about the problem and 95 percent about the solution.

Related: 6 Tips for Hiring at Your Small Business

By asking how they’d change what they don’t like, you get a chance to hear how they’d go about solving problems. For example, if they say your customer service stinks but can’t suggest even a basic idea to fix it, what chance do they have of fixing problems when they’re working for you? Will they just give up and move on to something else? Probably. The best employees solve problems fast and on their own.

2. Which book are you currently reading?
    Passionate people tend to read books or listen to audio books to improve their skills. Whether the books are specific to a skill such as sales and marketing or they’re reading a book focused on self-development doesn’t matter, they are all good signs.

If they’re reading a fiction book and haven’t read an educational book for a while, that’s a red flag to me. Superstars are always looking to better themselves, and the smartest people I know are always learning and absorbing new information.

3. Tell me about a problem you were tasked with solving in your current job. How did you fix it?
    Again, this surfaces their problem solving and creative thinking skills or lack thereof. Did they have a thoughtful approach to solving the problem or did they pass it on to someone else?

4. What’s the one thing you’ve accomplished in your career that you’re most proud of?
    This gives you insight into what makes them tick and also lets you assess how they define success. If, for example, they worked at their previous company for 12 years and their biggest accomplishment was beating their sales target in a single quarter, they may not be a superstar.

On the other hand, if they were promoted five times in their previous role during a two-year period, then you may have a superstar on your hands.

Related: 7 Traits of Truly Sensational Startup Employees

5. Have you played any team sports before?
    People who play team sports such as basketball, soccer and rowing are driven, focused on achieving goals and physically fit, which helps keep their mind in peak condition. Generally, they will also be great communicators, cope well under pressure and perform well during team events.

6. What do you do for fun?
    Balance is an important part of success, and I’ve found that superstars strive to do well in most, if not all, areas of their life including physical fitness, relationships contribution and learning.

As an example, if someone hits the gym three days a week, volunteers on Saturdays and is learning how to play the piano “just for fun,” then it’s fair to say they value achievement, goal setting and are continually looking to improve themselves. This will translate into their job.

7. 'I’m not sure you’re a fit for the role…'
    This one works best when you’re hiring people with strong personalities that need to push through constantly hearing “no,” such as for sales reps or sales leaders, and it’s more of a comment than a question. By simply making this statement, they can do one of three things. They can ignore you and skip over the comment. They can agree and try to move on. Or, they can try to sell you on the benefits of bringing them into your business, specifically focusing on the main reasons you can’t afford not to hire them.

These questions aren’t a silver bullet for hiring superstars, but they’ve allowed me to better decide between people who will and won’t be a fit in the business, and their ability to achieve success in their role.

Outside of asking questions, never overlook your gut feel during an interview. If something doesn’t feel right or you’re not absolutely certain about hiring someone, then say no -- every time.

It will take longer to hire the right person, but you want to build a company full of people that are right for their roles, instead of people that came along at the right time.

Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Central Transport (Secaucus, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Walk into a local terminal, fill out paper application and interview with a recruiter. Quick and easy process. The interview with a recruiter only took about 15-20 minutes. I was able to go for a drug test and physical the same day.

Interview Questions

• Mostly the interview covered my experience and work history. Make sure to have 10 years of work history when going in to apply.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Central Transport (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Very thorough interview. I completed a phone screen with an HR Generalist and was contacted by the HR Manager for follow up. From that point I completed a face-to-face interview at the domicile location with the Sales Manager and had a final interview with the HR Manager. The HR Manager I interviewed with was interested in my educational and professional background and took the time to explain the company, position and growth potential.

Interview Questions

• They asked situational questions to understand my sales style and how I would prepare for my clients.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Central Transport (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2014.

Interview

Sent in an application via email, received a screening call a day later, set up a lunch interview with the regional manager, had a final call with HR. Overall it was pretty straightforward.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Central Transport (Detroit, MI) in March 2010.

Interview

You do a personality test then talk to HR recruiter, not difficult they look mostly at your credentials and appearance is important

Interview Questions

Negotiation

pretty easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Central Transport (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a call from the recruiter right away. Face to face a week later at a local diner. I was told offer was extend but assessment needed to be complete. Complete assessment and paper work for background check. Its been 2 mo and still no word on were I stand. Still no training date or official offer paper have been extended.