Chicago Trading Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 3, 2017

3.4

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Then phone interview with manager. After that 2 four person interviews. 1 with team you will be working with and 1 with other team members you will work with closely

Interview Questions

• They just wanted to get to know me. Just asked some questions about experiences   1 Answer

Trading Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company.

Interview

On-campus interview for internship. Casual at first, the got grilled with some brainteasers and mental math. Nothing too hard, but distracting that the interview furiously scribbled notes the entire time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Bloomington, IN) in October 2016.

Interview

Demonstrating technical skills by solving several problems. Talking about each step of the problem-solving process. Give time bounds on each one of those steps. Talk about other possible solutions to the problem if one exists.

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

There was coding assessment followed by phone interview that was 75% technical coding 25% non technical. Than in invite to weekend long interview in Chicago with dinner and full day of interviewing. The day was comprised of FE case study, a stats question interview, an option pricing interview, as well as non-technical discussion.

Overall a very positive experience and CTC seems like a good company with good people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

Pretty simple, behavioural at first, then lots of mental math and expectation/risk questions. You don't move onto the next question until you get the current question right, so it gets stressful but the interviewer was very nice. You were asked to walk the interviewer through every step of your thought process when doing the mental math so he knew how you were thinking about it.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

Interview

The process started with a phone interview which was about 30-45 minutes long. A couple days after the phone interview they sent me an email inviting me to there "superday". The super day was at CTC's office in the CBOE and it consisted of all the candidates for the trading assistant and financial engineering internships. It was a 2 day process and the first day was learning about the firm and taking a tour followed by a dinner with all the candidates and a number of employees. The second day was when the one on one interviews occurred and each candidate was interviewed by 6 separate employees followed by a mock trading session (This is a big part of the interviewing process). CTC gets back to you rather quickly and it is a very competitive process.

Junior Trader Interview

Interview

These guys are ridiculous. I answered all of their questions adequately and quickly and did not move on to the next step. I really do not know what went wrong and they gave 0 feedback, which I think is ludicrous. They ask behavioral questions like why trading and why CTC.

Interview Questions

• What is 34 * 17 (mentally) and what is 20% of 750. Most likely they'll ask something similar for first round interviews but not the exact same.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

phone interview with basic questions and then just go thru your resume. The person is nice and won't ask you technical question until the second round phone interview. If you can't get the answer of it, people won't give hints to you so that some times it gets really intense and they are just waiting for the correct answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company.

Interview

I recently had a six hour long interview at this place. The position was in infrastructure group. I would say what a waste of my six hours.

I interviewed with people that themselves had no idea what they were talking about. They had incorrect concepts of how things work and are really poor judges of technical abilities.

Started out with a 45 minute presentation in front of 7 or so people. There I found a rather obnoxious large man who kept telling me the piece of app that I presented can be done in a different way because that's the way he did it in his previous job.

Afterwards, I had misfortune of going through with another 45 minutes with this rather large man and another guy. One of the question, they asked was what happens before a monitor is acquired in java. The answer they were looking for is "cache is flushed before monitor is acquired", which is completely incorrect. I gave them entire story of how the locking is done, including what the source of java object monitor looks like, how the monitor ownership is obtained using CASing, what kind of op codes you see (including the actual opcode names) when locking is done etc etc. The rather large man didn't know any of this, but he and the other guy kept arguing with me to get "cache flush" out of me, which is absolutely wrong.

The other two hours I spent whiteboarding. Their actual expectations were not that I write syntactically correct code, or a working code, but write code like it's in an IDE (I learned this from the feedback I got). They thought I did sloppy variable declaration, whatever the hell that means. Whiteboarding is generally used to see the thought process and problem solving process, not to see how nicely the variables are declared. It's a whiteboard for god's sake.

When I came back home, I was really underwhelmed by the people I encountered and their depth of knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Chicago Trading Company (Champaign, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Fairly standard first round trading interview, all math/brain teasers and one question about my interest in trading. When practicing focus on solving mental math without looking at the problem and instead stating the process out loud (my biggest weakness). The hard part is remembering each part when doing 2x2 multiplication/division etc. not the actual "math".

Interview Questions

• 1 jar of 100 black and red marbles, how would you arrange them into 2 jars to maximize EV of black marbles?   1 Answer