College Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

College Board Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2018

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at College Board.

Interview

Phone interview with HR followed by 30 minute Technical screen and a 3 hour in person interview with a bunch of people. Enjoyed the interview process a lot. Got to meet the manager, technical engineers, directors and the VP as well. Prepare to be grilled hard on technical questions by engineers because they only want to select the best. People were genuine and friendly. No games. Got an offer in a few days. Very well managed by HR rep.

Interview Questions

College Board Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Director of HR

We’re glad that you’ve accepted our offer and will be joining our team. Welcome! Please feel free to contact me with any additional feedback about your interviews. Holly Strychowski.

Associate Director, K-12 Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at College Board (Austin, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online, I had a 20-30 minute phone screening and then was asked in for a 90-120 minute interview with a presentation. I was given a set of facts and asked to role play a presentation for 20-30 minutes and then that was followed up by interview question. The odd thing to me was they never asked about my experience/background or how I would handle work situations. It was if it was all set up to be a Myers-Brigg test. I also found the interview process could have a gender bias to it. The only people I interacted with were of one gender and that is something to be aware of (not good or bad just odd from someone that has facilitated diversity training and hiring in the past) Everyone was nice..

another odd thing. I could not get into the office for the interview. They don't have a person at the front..

Interview Questions

• are you a hunter or a farmer? ( and what does this have to do with testing?)   1 Answer

Mar 19, 2018 – Director of HR

Thanks for sharing this feedback, about your interview process. We know your time is limited and we do our best to structure your time during interviews efficiently. We strive for a positive... More

Junior Assessment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at College Board (New City, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

I was so disappointed with the timeliness of the application process. I applied online and heard nothing until four weeks later. I received a basic form email invitation for a Skype interview. I submitted times when I was available, but the interviewer ignored those times and gave me an entirely different time a week later. On the phone, while the interviewer was nice, he obviously hadn't spent much time on my CV or cover letter as he kept asking questions that were clearly answered on the CV.

He told me that they would need someone ASAP, so my availability might be too late, as I need a few months to resign. I emailed him a few days later with a thank you and with the answer to a question he had asked me. No response. I heard absolutely nothing. No problem, I assumed that they had decided not to pursue my candidacy, which at this point didn't bother me as I wasn't very impressed with their HR. Suddenly, FOUR WEEKS later, I get an email confirming that I didn't get the job. If the availability was so crucial I'm not sure why it took this company 3-4 weeks to ask for an interview, a one week waiting period before the interview, and then an additional four weeks after the interview.

During this process of waiting on the College Board, I had applied, been interviewed, and received an offer (and accepted that offer) with a different company.

Normally I would never leave a review about an interview process, however I was so shocked by their lack of professionalism that I felt it necessary.

Interview Questions

• No question was unexpected, except for the fact that it was obvious they hadn't done a close reading of my CV.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at College Board (New York, NY).

Interview

Got a call to speak and came in probably a week after. Pretty long, maybe 1.5 hours. Met with several people from different positions. It was not super professional. The interviewers were pretty nice too.

Interview Questions

College Board Response

Feb 5, 2018 – Director of HR

We’re glad that you’ve accepted our offer and will be joining our team. Please feel free to contact me with any additional feedback about your interviews. Holly Strychowski.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at College Board (Reston, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

First interview was telephone screening. Three follow up interviews from the department in which I'd be working in. After the third interview I was asked to provide writing samples from my current job. This process took 4 weeks. Haven't heard anything after the fourth interview; 4 weeks after the last interview.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at College Board (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and had a phone interview. A month later, they interviewed me in person. Two ladies interviewed me: one was from Atlanta, GA - she wore a bright purple lipstick and it was very distracting every time I looked at her. The second lady looked like she had just rolled out of her bed - quite unprofessional. I was shocked !The way they looked at me, made me very nervous. I felt being stereotyped for wearing my suit and not looking like a slob. I still wonder how they ever ended up working for the College Board, and who was the person that employed them ? Perhaps, I have a lot higher standards, but on the other hand, everyone should look professional at their work place. If nothing else, it shows the respect for the establishment that employs you. I could not take them seriously because they killed every desire in me to work for the College Board; or to answer questions the way I normally would. For a moment, I felt like being interviewed for a job at 7/11, but the guys there wear red shirts and look a bit cleaner and more presentable. Personally, I owe myself a lot more than this. What a shame for any academic establishment!

Interview Questions

• Standard questions: Why the College Board ? How do you handle uncertain situations ? Did you ever have to write reports ?   Answer Question

Sep 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for sharing this feedback, and we’re sorry your experience interviewing here wasn’t ideal. We take our recruitment process and interviews very seriously, and expect all candidates to be... More

Assessment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at College Board (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online. It took a little over 3 weeks to initially hear back. I had a phone interview later that week, & then it took 3 weeks to interview in person. There were two group interviews, both average, and some members of the team did seem engaged and enthusiastic. At the time, I thought it went very well although they were not clear about what they were looking for in a candidate, and it unfortunately put even more pressure on my questions for them.
    There was an assessment after, which was largely open-ended.

It took an additional 3 to 4 weeks to receive notice that I did not receive the position. Long and a little vague.

Interview Questions

• What is your process when giving written feedback to your peers/colleagues?   Answer Question

AP Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at College Board.

Interview

I was contacted by their Recruiter. She emailed and asked for some times I would be available to speak in the next few days. I emailed her some windows of time I would be free. I heard nothing back. So during the first window of time, I made sure I was available to take her call. Nothing. I sent an email asking for a more specific time. She apologized and we were able to setup a mutually convenient time and she asked that I call her. I called her one minute before our scheduled time and got her voicemail. I left a message. A few minutes later, I received a call back.

It was quite clear that she was reading my resume as we spoke. She asked me questions about my career that were discussed in other parts of my resume. For example, she asked me if I would be comfortable working remotely, when I had experience working remotely (She hadn't read that far in my resume yet). I asked a question about the position duties and was told to save my questions for the Hiring Manager. The Recruiter was disinterested, unprepared, and seemed ill-informed regarding the position. I am honestly not sure why we even spoke!

The Recruiter told me that she would pass my information on to the Hiring Manager and I would hear back from the Hiring Manager by the end of the following week. You won't be surprised to know that I never heard from the Hiring Manager. You probably won't be surprised to know that I sent a follow-up email to the Recruiter thanking her for her call, etc. I never received a response.

I think if I would have spoken to the Hiring Manager, I would have gotten the job. I am more than qualified for it. But with Recruiters like the one I spoke with, I am not sure how competent candidates make it through!

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working remotely? Are you comfortable working for a large company?   Answer Question

May 2, 2017 – Director of HR

Assessment Scoring Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at College Board (Coralville, IA) in May 2017.

Interview

It began with an online application, and a couple days later, I was asked to do an initial phone interview with corporate HR. Then, I was moved along to schedule an in-person interview with the essay team. After that, I received an email asking for a confirmation of my references before being officially offered the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to working on teams, and how can you balance working in a team environment with individual work?   Answer Question

Jul 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear about your positive experiences and proud that you have joined the College Board team!

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at College Board.

Interview

I submitted an application online and heard back a few weeks later. I then had a short phone interview, and after a couple days, had a video interview, where I was asked basic questions.