ComEd Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2017

2.9

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ComEd (Oak Brook, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Traditional Situation-Based Interview. Situation, Task, Action, Result.... Until the last interviewer I met with. He deviated from the standard process which is typically not allowed within larger organizations because it risks introducing partiality which could create other issues requiring HR involvement.

I may actually consider sending an email to Exelon's general HR department to provide them with a synopsis of my experience including the final interviewer's name. This is a learning/training opportunity which could be used to protect the organization.

Interview Questions

• Provide a situation when you introduced an initiative that was outside the scope of your day-to-day deliverables.   1 Answer

Business Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ComEd in May 2016.

Interview

The phone interview was about what you'd expect from a phone interview. Behavioral questions as well as having to describe any previous intern experience. Nothing too difficult. Other than that I would say it was a very straightforward process.

Senior Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ComEd (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Behavioral based interview vs skill and expertise based. Three people interviewed you asking different behavioral questions. Some questions around experience, but not much. It seemed to me they were more interested in personalities than skill set.

Interview Questions

• What is one accomplishment in your life?   1 Answer

Temporary Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ComEd (Oak Brook, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

You are likely to interview with 2 or more people at one time. Will be asked for examples of scenarios, and application of your skill sets in those examples. All tests are required to be passed, even during training to secure job position. May last 15-30 minutes for final interview. May receive email and phone interview prior to it.

Interview Questions

• Name one thing that happened at your last employer that you would never want to have happen again?   1 Answer

Temporary Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ComEd (Oak Brook, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online in Aug and got an email in November needing me to answer 10 brief questions in detail. Once the recruiter reviewed my answers, I had a phone interview 3 days later. After the phone interview, I was invited to take the mandatory CSR test, which I passed, and went on to interview with 2 supervisors the same day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ComEd (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

I went to my college career fair and spoke with the Exelon representatives. They gave me the choice of either applying for the nuclear engineering internship with Exelon or the power engineering internship with ComEd, but not both. In the end, I decided to go with ComEd. The conversation went well and they set me up for an interview the next day. After the interview, I waited a couple months and got the offer from ComEd.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to make a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ComEd (Oak Brook, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Very typical interview process. They ask questions based on the Situation, Actions, Results method. Just be sure to stay positive in your interview, and come with real experiences where you persevered through something to receive a better result. They will ask you about ten questions regarding a variety of different circumstances.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ComEd (Oak Brook, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied in jan/feb for a temporary CSR job. It took about 2 months to get an email on a Sunday with about 10 basic screening questions that had to be sent that day. Got a call an hour later to come in on a Tuesday to do a Simulation test. Passed that and then went right to a human interview with 2 HR reps. Answered some behavioral questions. Just making a note the call center is 90% black people and consequently I wasn't chosen.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult experience you had with a customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Regulatory Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ComEd (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Commonwealth Edison possesses a top notch interview process. The outreach manager I spoke to was very knowledgable about the company and explained the position in a way that was easy to digest. Any questions asked on my end were answered thoroughly and thoughtfully. The outreach manager displayed the utmost respect for my undergraduate accomplishments and didn't expect me to know all the ins and outs of the utility industry before working within it.

Interview Questions

• Q: What unique advantage would your field/fields of study offer to this company?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ComEd.

Interview

Phone Interview
    Applied via Exelon's website. I received a voicemail from the recruiter about 2 weeks later. Returned his call and he conducted a 10 minute phone interview, asking questions about my current job, why I wanted a career change, my education, etc. I did a good job answering questions and selling myself. At the end of the interview he asked if I was available to take the TECH test the following week. Of course I was.

TECH Test
    The recruiter sent me a link to practice tests at Edison Electric Institute's website. I practiced for a few hours the day before the test. I took the TECH test at Lincoln Center in Oak Brook. There were about 12 other candidates taking the test. The test was multiple choice ScanTron. You do not receive a score; only a "recommend" or "not recommend". We were told that ComEd also receives only a recommend or not recommend.

Speed Interview
    About 5 days later I received a call stating that I passed the test and was scheduled for a "speed interview" with 3 managers. The speed interview was scheduled two weeks later at Lincoln Center. Showed up 10 minutes early in my best suit and tie. Waited in the lobby with 3 or 4 other candidates until the recruiter took us to our interviews. Each interviewer was in a separate room and we traveled from room to room interviewing with the managers individually for 20 minutes. The Speed Interview was the Behavioral Interview style (I'll explain later). Each interviewer asked 2 or 3 of the Behavioral questions. After those questions were answered I was given the opportunity to ask questions. I asked question about the job position, the company, the culture, etc. I feel I did really well during the interview, I especially hit it off with one of the managers who had a similar background as mine. I left the interview confident I would have a follow-up interview.

About 1 week later I received a call from the recruiter. He stated I did well with the Speed Interview and wanted to schedule an interview with the manager I would ultimately be working for. About a week later I showed up at the regional office and interviewed with my manager and a manager from another office. This interview was not the Behavioral type, it was a traditional interview; "tell me about yourself", "why do you want to change careers", "are you familiar with drafting software", "how competent are you reading blueprints", etc. We spent about 1 1/2 hours talking about my abilities and the job position. Again, I felt I did well.

The Offer
    The recruiter called a couple days later and told me I should expect an offer soon. Unfortunately, it took about 2 months before it finally did. I sent a few emails to the recruiter asking about the status, I needed info but didn't want to be a pest. Basically things were delayed due to management changes, summer storms causing outages, vacations, etc. Just when I was about to give up hope, he called me with an offer. I told him I need a couple days to discuss it with my spouse. I responded 2 days later with a counter-offer that was 10% higher than their offer. He responded a couple days later stating that they felt it was in the best interest of the company to stick with their original offer. I accepted the offer and started the job about 5 weeks later. I was a little disappointed they wouldn't budge on their offer, but I think their original offer is towards the higher end of the pay scale. I understand their decision, yet it is still less than I was making in my previous career.

My Advice
    This was the 2nd position I interviewed for, as I did not receive an offer for the first position (Distribution Dispatcher). I was pretty shocked when I didn't receive an offer, and I spent a lot of time thinking about the interview and tried to determine what went wrong. In hindsight, I think I really bombed the Behavioral Interview the first time. I think I spent too much time thinking about the questions before I answered and that left an awkward silence after the interviewer asked his question.
    Before you interview, Google "Behavioral Interview" and watch a few videos on the topic. You will be asked a specific question, such as "Tell me about a time when you were told to do something unsafe and what did you do?". You will have to be very specific but not rambling on, and form your answer in the STAR method (Situation or Task, Action you took, Results). Try to have an idea of what questions they will ask and think about your responses. The hardest part was trying remember a situation that fits their question and then recall all the facts without sounding like a blubbering fool. Most importantly PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did performed a job that the customer wasn't happy with, and what did you do?   Answer Question