Compass Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Compass Education

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied on the website from a Craigslist ad that I saw. I was contacted the next day and scheduled a phone interview. A week later; I was invited to come into the office for an in-person interview. Met with 3 different directors (managers) and they asked me a series of questions. Typical interview fare. Part of the interview required me to take a selection of SAT test questions. I also had to give a quick presentation to teach a topic.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized at home?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Compass Education (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview over the phone was very straightforward. Seemed mored interested in understanding my reasons for tutoring and then getting me in person to take a 40 minute exam. Interviewer also mentioned that there would be a teach back that would determine the ultimate hiring decision. Also mentioned that I would likely only be getting up to six students for this teaching year. Definitely wanted to see how I did with a small number before she gives me a viable number of students.

SAT Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marin City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Marin City, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I took an SAT test in mathematics to gauge my skill. I got all but one right (not sure what their minimum for hiring is). They then asked me some questions about my tutoring experience, situational questions and asked me to present a skill.

Tutor Interview

Interview

There was a phone interview; then I took a test of the "hardest questions" from the SAT and did a fairly short interview in front of a small panel.

I was offered a job as a tutor and accepted it. I then did a 2 or 3 day all-day training session, and next participated in a teachback with one of the trainers, where the trainer pretended to be a student and I tutored the trainer.

After a week or two in which I heard nothing back from them and wasn't offered any students, Compass then contacted me, saying that my teachback didn't go well, but they would let me try it again. I did another teachback, and this time was given verbal assurance that everything went fine and I would be given students to teach. The person who told me this (a company director) also admitted that many people who go through the training (and are offered "jobs") don't make it past the teachback, and aren't offered the chance to do another teachback. (I was apparently good enough to warrant the effort of allowing me to do another teachback.)

During the training sessions and the interview process, the company did not say anything about the tutoring job being contingent on this final step of the training process.

They never gave me any students to teach.

I really needed a job at the time.

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA).

Interview

There's first a phone screening in which they ask for your past experience, mode of transportation, availability, and get a general feel of who you are.

At the office there is a quick SAT sample test. You are only required to take the subject that you plan to teach, but you may choose to take Reading and Math if you'd like. Then there is a teaching demonstration. You can choose to teach any skill and it does not have to be an academic subject. The last step is a one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass Education (Beverly Hills, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The process consists of a brief interview with a director concerning your abilities and the position requirements. Following this, the candidate takes an aptitude test pertaining to the tutoring subject(s) for which they are interviewing. As you have to demonstrate superior subject knowledge, the tests are not simple. Once the test is complete, the candidate reviews the results with the director. Pass, and the candidate is offered an opportunity to train during the next available, two-day training class.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that you can handle demanding parents?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Lauren Angeli called me. We talked on the phone for a bit, that was great. I came in a week later and took a short test and then interviewed with Sarah Jacobs (and Lia Lackey for a short portion). I asked Sarah way a bunch of questions and she answered all of them, wonderfully.

Compass Education Verbal ACT Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application to Compass Education and was contacted within 24 hours by an employee who wanted to set up a phone interview for that day. I was impressed by how quickly they responded to my application. The phone interview was great; the interviewer was friendly and asked great questions about my previous tutoring experience and skills. She explained the rest of the interview process to me and also sent a very helpful email detailing the stages of the upcoming interview as well as a more extensive application to fill out. I was also told to prepare a 5 minute "lesson" on a topic of my choosing (some examples given were: how to solve a sudoku puzzle, or how to make those frosting rosettes on cakes) which I would then "teach" to some Compass employees.
     The next interview was within a week from the phone interview. I arrived at their office in Larkspur with my application. Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating. I then took a 30 minute verbal SAT test and a 30 minute math SAT test. After the tests, I gave my presentation/lesson to 2 Compass employees (I ended up choosing "How to Survive a Shark Attack"). After the presentation, I was asked a few questions by the same Compass employees who watched my presentation. I was offered the job on the spot, provided that I successfully completed the upcoming training. Overall, it was a very positive interview experience.

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Beverly Hills, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

The process was lengthy. I submitted my resume online along with an online application. I received an initial phone interview followed by 2nd phone interview. Then I went to the office for a half hour in-person interview. This was followed by a short SAT excerpt test (I think you were only allowed to get 2 out of 20 questions wrong in order to pass). Finally there was a 1 week of training (paid) that culminated in a half hour "teach back" to allow you to demonstrate what you'd learned.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging - and ultimately helpful - part of the whole process was the Teach Back at the end of the training. You were asked to adjust responses to different student personality/learning types.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

We began with a phone interview in which we discussed my educational credentials and experience. I was also asked why I wished to join the company. The conversation was relaxed and the interviewer's tone friendly. When I moved on to an in-person interview, I was asked to complete a brief portion of an SAT exam. I then met with the interviewer (a company co-founder), who took a cooperative, affable tack and combined questions that explored my qualities as a tutor with questions that sought to determine whether I'd find the work suitable to me - for instance, asking what other kinds of work I pursued and whether I thought I'd be able to accomplish some of my own goals while on the road and in a gap between students.

Interview Questions

• In emails / application process, I was asked how I scored on standardized tests (SAT, ACT, AP). In person I was asked about my history of working one-on-one with students (as opposed to classroom teaching).   1 Answer