Compass Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Compass Education

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Beverly Hills, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

The process was lengthy. I submitted my resume online along with an online application. I received an initial phone interview followed by 2nd phone interview. Then I went to the office for a half hour in-person interview. This was followed by a short SAT excerpt test (I think you were only allowed to get 2 out of 20 questions wrong in order to pass). Finally there was a 1 week of training (paid) that culminated in a half hour "teach back" to allow you to demonstrate what you'd learned.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging - and ultimately helpful - part of the whole process was the Teach Back at the end of the training. You were asked to adjust responses to different student personality/learning types.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied on the website from a Craigslist ad that I saw. I was contacted the next day and scheduled a phone interview. A week later; I was invited to come into the office for an in-person interview. Met with 3 different directors (managers) and they asked me a series of questions. Typical interview fare. Part of the interview required me to take a selection of SAT test questions. I also had to give a quick presentation to teach a topic.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized at home?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Compass Education (Beverly Hills, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The process consists of a brief interview with a director concerning your abilities and the position requirements. Following this, the candidate takes an aptitude test pertaining to the tutoring subject(s) for which they are interviewing. As you have to demonstrate superior subject knowledge, the tests are not simple. Once the test is complete, the candidate reviews the results with the director. Pass, and the candidate is offered an opportunity to train during the next available, two-day training class.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that you can handle demanding parents?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Interview

There was a phone interview; then I took a test of the "hardest questions" from the SAT and did a fairly short interview in front of a small panel.

I was offered a job as a tutor and accepted it. I then did a 2 or 3 day all-day training session, and next participated in a teachback with one of the trainers, where the trainer pretended to be a student and I tutored the trainer.

After a week or two in which I heard nothing back from them and wasn't offered any students, Compass then contacted me, saying that my teachback didn't go well, but they would let me try it again. I did another teachback, and this time was given verbal assurance that everything went fine and I would be given students to teach. The person who told me this (a company director) also admitted that many people who go through the training (and are offered "jobs") don't make it past the teachback, and aren't offered the chance to do another teachback. (I was apparently good enough to warrant the effort of allowing me to do another teachback.)

During the training sessions and the interview process, the company did not say anything about the tutoring job being contingent on this final step of the training process.

They never gave me any students to teach.

I really needed a job at the time.

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

There was an initial, brief phone screen, apparently to make sure I was who I said I was. For the in-person interview they requested that I prepare a short lesson on any topic and teach it to two staff members. I also had to answer about 15 SAT questions. Then there was a standard interview with a hiring manager, which was fairly casual and brief.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Lauren Angeli called me. We talked on the phone for a bit, that was great. I came in a week later and took a short test and then interviewed with Sarah Jacobs (and Lia Lackey for a short portion). I asked Sarah way a bunch of questions and she answered all of them, wonderfully.

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA).

Interview

There's first a phone screening in which they ask for your past experience, mode of transportation, availability, and get a general feel of who you are.

At the office there is a quick SAT sample test. You are only required to take the subject that you plan to teach, but you may choose to take Reading and Math if you'd like. Then there is a teaching demonstration. You can choose to teach any skill and it does not have to be an academic subject. The last step is a one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Compass Education (Beverly Hills, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied through an online posting, which called for applicants who were graduates of high-ranking colleges and who had high SAT/ACT scores on the section(s) of the test(s) they were interested in tutoring. I was then brought into the office, where I interviewed with program directors and took practice reading and writing test sections from the SAT. My interview was several years ago, when the SAT was more popular than the ACT; these days, prospective tutors would probably take ACT test sections instead.

Interview Questions

• This was four years ago, so I honestly don't remember a lot of details, but I think they asked me about types of students I'd work well with/preferred working with and also how I would tutor different types of students (i.e. how would I help a shy student vs. an extremely confident student or a high-scoring student vs. a student with less academic confidence).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Compass Education (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview over the phone was very straightforward. Seemed mored interested in understanding my reasons for tutoring and then getting me in person to take a 40 minute exam. Interviewer also mentioned that there would be a teach back that would determine the ultimate hiring decision. Also mentioned that I would likely only be getting up to six students for this teaching year. Definitely wanted to see how I did with a small number before she gives me a viable number of students.

Anonymous Employee in Larkspur, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Education (Larkspur, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

We began with a phone interview in which we discussed my educational credentials and experience. I was also asked why I wished to join the company. The conversation was relaxed and the interviewer's tone friendly. When I moved on to an in-person interview, I was asked to complete a brief portion of an SAT exam. I then met with the interviewer (a company co-founder), who took a cooperative, affable tack and combined questions that explored my qualities as a tutor with questions that sought to determine whether I'd find the work suitable to me - for instance, asking what other kinds of work I pursued and whether I thought I'd be able to accomplish some of my own goals while on the road and in a gap between students.

Interview Questions

• In emails / application process, I was asked how I scored on standardized tests (SAT, ACT, AP). In person I was asked about my history of working one-on-one with students (as opposed to classroom teaching).   1 Answer