Compass Education Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2022

Found 81 of over 87 reviews

4.3
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,890

960 Comments

Teachers

160K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Compass Education~196327
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "1. Flexible hours and geographic preferences(in 8 reviews)
  • "Administrative staff of experienced tutors who can help you tailor programs for each student, and help you manage a family with whom things haven't gone as hoped.(in 8 reviews)
  • "1. Great, very thorough training at Compass' office in Beverly Hills, which took about two full days.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Friendly and effective management.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Excellent culture overall.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great management

Apr 11, 2022 - SAT/ACT Verbal Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable compensation, great training, supportive management team, flexible hours

Cons

Limited amount of hours, unclear whether there are opportunities to increase hourly rates

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

a great gig

Apr 8, 2022 - Online Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

good culture nice colleagues work from home flexibility and freedom pick your hours high pay

Cons

not enough hours pay is small percentage of what they charge clients

3. 3.0

Insufficient Pay

Apr 2, 2022 - Test Preparation Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive administrative staff, good materials, reputable company

Cons

Tutor pay rate is less than 30% of what clients are charged. Top heavy administratively

4. 4.0

Great part-time gig

Feb 24, 2022 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Compass for a while now, and it's been my solid main gig this whole time. I can control how many students I take on, which is great since I'm in grad school and have juggled multiple jobs/internships while still working for Compass. There's opportunities for other side gigs within the company too, like proctoring, grading, teaching SAT/ACT classes at the schools they partner with, etc. Plus, everyone who works on the management team is super friendly and they actually care about you. I remember seeing another review on here back when I was still debating on if I should take this job or not: it said something about the pay looking good but is small in comparison when considering how much parents are ACTUALLY paying for the lessons. I definitely understand what they mean—but at the same time, this still gets me a fat paycheck. I don't have to source my own students, the case managers handle most of the admin work (and parents, too, if they get problematic), and there's annual pay bumps if applicable. I also appreciate how much they value pedagogy and making as much of an inclusive space as possible for employees (as a tutor, you're not a contractor—you're an employee!), families, and students. They have professional development opportunities where we may learn ways to work with students with disabilities, etc.

Cons

I agree with something another review pointed out: a pay increase for tutors who have high student loads would be p nice. Also while the SF office had boasted before that all their case managers are women, which is great, they are all white, which is not as great. The management team overall can hire more diverse people, I'm sure. Also, health insurance as an employee would obvs be nice, but I understand the logistics of that for being part-timers is likely tricky.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good student job

Feb 21, 2022 - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good side gig for students and helpful staff

Cons

Commute isn’t paid for and variable hours

6. 3.0
    Former Employee

Nice people but a bit misleading

Nov 4, 2021 - SAT Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice people to work with.

Cons

Definitely led to believe that there would be lots of students to work with straight away but my cohort was mostly waiting around for months waiting for 1-2 students to work with.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great part-time opportunity

Oct 2, 2021 - Math Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good workplace environment/culture and flexible hours.

Cons

High-hours tutors receive no benefits.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

May 17, 2021 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great hourly wage, good admin

Cons

No exact control over clients

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a bad place to work, compensation is a little off though

May 24, 2021 - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, streamlined workflow, compensation for prep and parent time.

Cons

No compensation for mileage, sometimes program managers are pretty hands-off, company has made commitments to expand access of services through scholarships but expects tutors to take a paycut for it despite promising in a townhall that they wouldn't do that.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great colleagues, interesting work!

May 11, 2021 - Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Have loved the supportive atmosphere where everyone is cheering for students to succeed

Cons

There can be challenging situations for students and families to navigate

Viewing 1 - 10 of 81 Reviews

Compass Education Reviews FAQs

Compass Education has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 87 reviews left anonymously by employees. 90% of employees would recommend working at Compass Education to a friend and 83% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Compass Education employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Compass Education. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

90% of Compass Education employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Compass Education 4.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Compass Education to be management, culture, career development and the cons to be benefits, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Compass Education Job Seekers