Compass Education Reviews

Updated May 9, 2020

4.5
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, very high hourly wages, team is very friendly(in 7 reviews)

• "Compass is a decent place to work part-time(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "lots of driving(in 5 reviews)

• "Additionally, even with the qualification of employee, there are no benefits associated with the part-time instructor role(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Tutor in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlike many other tutoring companies, Compass takes care of their tutors. They give you free and plenty of resources for your tutoring, offer reimbursement for parking costs and driving mileage. I have worked at 3 different companies and Compass by far is my best experience.

Cons

Depending on where you are willing to drive, you may have more or less opportunities for hours.

"Solid Tutoring Opportunities"

Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive rates, good students, accommodating staff, good curriculum and materials

Cons

You’re going to be dealing with a lot of very demanding and entitled families, expect a lot of rescheduling and placating of concerned parents

Continue reading

3. "Exceptional People Doing Exceptional Work"

Former Employee - Administrative in Larkspur, CA

I worked at Compass Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only place I've ever worked where everyone in the office is respectful and kind and there are NO office politics (I worked in the Larkspur office: President Bruce Reed and Managing Director Lia Lackey). All of the employees at Compass are exceptionally intelligent people. They truly care about the overall business, are exceedingly ethical, and everyone possesses (and uses) critical thinking skills. They also take very good care of the employees. Throughout the entire office, they genuinely care about each other. These are wonderful co-workers. This is a rare environment in which to work. I can't speak highly enough about the company and the people who work there.

Cons

The company's compensation is low, especially compared to the same position at other companies, especially in the Bay Area. If Compass paid market rates, I would still be there.

"Not Good Enough to Stay For Long"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Compass Education part-time

Pros

Compass is a decent place to work part-time. The staff seems nice and mostly solid, and the pay is $40 an hour, also pretty good. I like the kids, learning and doing my own schedule.

Cons

But they are charging $220 an hour for tutoring. Wowza. So we make 20% of what they take in. My pay doesn't sound so good now, it's almost insulting. Then, they pay everyone as an employee but there are no benefits. So I can't deduct my mileage or health insurance from my taxes. That also sucks. I heard Study Smarter offers people real benefits so I might look there. They want people to drive a lot. Driving to Marin and dealing with traffic over there is a lot. They don't seem to really factor in how they're asking people to spend unpaid hours in the car plus all the out of pocket gas money. Sue in the office seems difficult to work with. With the tutors there seems to be high turnover and the job is isolating. I will do this for now, but Compass doesn't treat us good enough to stay for long.

Continue reading
  5. "Overall great, could have much better benefits"

Current Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Flexible hours and geographic preferences 2. Paid prep time 3. Cancellation policy (<24 hours' notice means you'll get paid for 1 hour) 4. Directors/managers are pleasant to work with

Cons

1. No benefits whatsoever, even as a high hour tutor 2. Commute 3. Difficult parents/families (though this is part of any tutoring job) 4. Your cut is barely 20-25% of what the client pays the agency

6. "Solid Side Gig"

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Tutor in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture and admin team, flexible hours,

Cons

Lower rates than other tutoring companies

"Professional, Open, Accessible Administration with Serious Experience"

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Chelsea, NY

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a part time instructor, I get to take on as many or as few clients as I want, and have full control over my own schedule. Although I was quite experienced in private instruction before joining Compass, adapting to the Compass resources and methodologies understandably took time; fortunately, the on-boarding process was both vigorous and thorough, and gave me a sense of completion that felt rewarding. Part-time instructors also come on as Employees and not Contractors, which is great.

Cons

Compass has an exclusivity agreement, so you won't be able to tutor for them if you have ties with another instructional company whose work would suggest a conflict of interests. (However, I think most employees will agree that this is an acceptable condition.) Additionally, even with the qualification of employee, there are no benefits associated with the part-time instructor role.

Continue reading

"Flexible schedule? Keep your mind sharp!"

Current Employee - Private Tutor in Larkspur, CA

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

All resources are provided to you and you receive training beforehand.

Cons

It can be difficult to schedule clients all on the same day/similar days.

"all around amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked as a tutor for Compass since January. Management is extremely supportive and down-to-earth, communication and resources are well organized. Compass takes a holistic approach to nurturing students' progress and genuinely cares about the success of its students and tutors.

Cons

As with most tutoring companies, it takes a while to build up to the amount of hours you'd ideally like to have.

10. "Great people, great pay"

Current Employee - Tutor in Larkspur, CA

I have been working at Compass Education part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very supportive staff, useful training and team building events, excellent students, good curricular materials, excellent website, W2 employment

Cons

The usual tutoring issues--lots of driving, canceled lessons, inconsistent hours--nothing unique to Compass

Found 59 reviews