Daybreak Game Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Daybreak Game Company

2.7

Character Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (New York, NY) in April 2019.

Interview

Interview for DC MMO. Webby in excited because I am a big comic fan and have drawn for DC and Marvel.
    Started with a phone interview with AD. Very nice, and professional but a little odd. Awkward and not enthusiastic. Asked him about recent layoffs and he just shrugged. Seemed like he was ready to quit TBH. He had seen my portfolio and was "impressed" but again not much enthusiasm.
    Was called back for a skype interview with AD, CD and other team members. Had all my comic swag on camera to show that I was a fan.
    CD seemed put off by my swag and spent a LOT of time talking about herself, bragging about her experiences on the game, etc. Seemed very uptight and cocky. Made two comments about personal politics that didn't belong in an interview.
    CD made it seems like they were all comic book experts, but then she and the artists didn't know the answers to pretty simple questions about mainstream characters or backstories beyond a few years ago. CD seemed annoyed by my subject knowledge.
    Artists were very nice but very
    Not a single minority or person of color in any interview but was told by CD "we are a progressive studio".

Interview Questions

• CD pointed at my 70's JLA poster and asked me to name all the team members. CD couldn't tell the difference between Zatanna and Dr. Light. Claimed I was incorrect, but then dropped the subject.   Answer Question
    • Was asked to name the alter egos of 3 of the Flash family members.   1 Answer
    • What is my preferred medium for concept drawing? Did I prefer digital or traditional more?   Answer Question
    • Could I sculpt in Zbrush?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Someone I used to work with recalled my background and felt I would be good in the role they had open. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager as the first step and this lasted about 40 minutes. It was an easy going conversation. Then he said he wanted me to talk by phone with another manager in the Austin studio who used to be in San Diego. So she phoned me a few days later and we had a more question/answer talk regarding the nature of the company and the details of the Austin and San Diego products and operations. She was excellent at answering questions I had for her, which I really liked. Then I was invited in to meet about 5-6 team members in person at the San Diego location. This was a little exhausting however I understood they wanted investment from the parties I would be supporting if I was hired.

Interview Questions

• How have you been successful in similar roles at other companies at which you worked?   1 Answer
    • What other questions can we answer for YOU about our company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was a little back and forth but in the end I felt like they listened and gave me fair consideration.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Emailed recruiter, then exchanged several emails with Senior Director, Global Brand Marketing and then a 30-minute phone screen. No offer made but was encouraged to keep in touch if anything else opened up; usually a brush-off but I felt the sentiment was genuine. Would talk to them again if requested.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Daybreak?   1 Answer

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

First interview started asking about my background and my skills. Then the interviewer talked about the company and position. After that the interviewer was very technical and was looking just to see if you know some of the Design Patterns and when to apply them.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Met with the hiring person, and they explained the process. Got situated in a conference room, and had some time to ask the hiring person general company questions.

Started with a technical test on paper. Mix of short answer language questions, coding questions, and explanation questions.

Afterwards took about an hour with the first group of interviewers to go over the test. Went over your answers and what you got right/wrong, and reasoning. Was nice to actually get feedback on how you did things. Even given a chance to fix your issue if you misunderstood a question.

After that were 2-3 sets of more interviews, mix of behavioral and technical questions.

Finally, met with one of the higher-ups, non-technical part of the interview. Almost all behavioral questions, with some benefits/salary discussion.

A week or so later, heard from my recruiter how I did and what the next steps were.

Interview Questions

• How much space does an empty class take in memory?   1 Answer

Associate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

- Submitted resume + cover letter online
    - Filled out online application
    - Filled out additional application for background check
    - Initial phone interview with HR
    - Technical phone interview
    - Skype interview
    - On-site interview (6 hours): HR interview, written test, whiteboard interview, lunch, interview with management, building tour

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from HR wanting to schedule a phone interview with two people on the team. Was anxiously waiting for the phone call the day of the interview to figure out HR scheduled it the time wrong (had to email to confirm). Luckily, was able to pass the phone interview and was flew to do an in person, multiple 1:1 interview with the rest of the team. Some of the 1:1's were fun, some were strange. One of the employees were realistically honest about where the company was headed and the troubles they had. It soon turned into a rant instead of an interview where they told me to not work here. Another was arrogant and showed signs that he had better things to do. As soon as I was done with the 4 interviews, the last person might've forgotten to tell HR that we were finished and instead headed to lunch. So I waited 20 minutes in a room to finally calling HR that the interviews were done. Overall, the company showed what they were. Very disorganized. Please treat your future candidates with respect as they respect the people interviewing them.

Interview Questions

• Presented a scenario, what would your thought process be to achieve the final product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company.

Interview

Emailed by the recruiter, came into an interview several days later. Very unorganized. Got into the interview and was questioned about skills I did not posess that should've been screened for prior to scheduling the interview.

Engine Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (Austin, TX) in August 2018.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen where we talked about my background and about the company a bit, and they also asked me some technical questions (think short answer response, conversational) on fundamentals.

I somehow got scheduled for this screen 3 times.

Afterwards, because I was applying from outside the area we did a screenshare/online programming test. Along the way I was asked to vocalize my thoughts and was asked about why I did certain things.

Some time later, I actually did receive a rejection which was nice.

Director, QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Daybreak Game Company (San Diego, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then was invited out to speak with several 2-person panels over the course of a day. Overall everyone was extremely friendly and competent. I left with the impression that the leadership group that I spoke with is clearly driven to succeed and improve the quality of the games they develop.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you look for in a tester?   1 Answer