DeNA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2017

2.8

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DeNA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Was very laid back but covered a lot of technical ground. From basic sysadmin skills (Grep, bash, network tools, etc), to protocol discussions (smtp, snmp, TLS, tcp/ip, http/s). Mostly discussed previous roles and responsibilities and how experience could fit into the current role. Discussed company culture (wholly owned subsidiary of a Japanese parent company)

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at DeNA (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process from the first call to the first in person interview was very well organized. I met with four members of the team and felt very welcome. The interview started on time and each person spent about 30 minutes. I spoke with a producer, public relations manager, marketing manager and HR manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my past experience in mobile games marketing and what games I played as a kid.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at DeNA (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

This came to me through an agency who introduced me to the internal recruiter of DeNA. After the first 20-25 min talk with the internal recruiter to whom I explained my skills and overall work exp. I was called in for a technical telephonic round. This was more like a discussion where the interviewer took the center stage while at times answering his/her own questions and not leaving much space for me to talk. At one point it seemed like I was hearing complaints on the work-related issues they were facing. Overall the interviewer had good intentions and wanted some immediate help which I showed I was willing and able to provide, and I think she did sense that.

So I was called for an onsite round where I met a a few people from the same Team including the person whom I already interviewed on phone. The first round was some random white-boarding for a scripting problem. The second was more on the processes by a person who was with the company for some 6 years or so. He was really good and demonstrated he knew how those processes work and why. Next and the 4th set was a senior person who did not introduce himself except his name ( I came to know of his title a few days later when he called me for an executive round). I'm not sure what he was looking for and his questions seem to be vague - nothing technical or process oriented but seemed more like behavioral however lacking any sound context. The next came the HR but she had no questions; it was again a discussion on the culture of the company. I was later informed that I would be called in for the executive round. So three days later that same senior person called me and again discussed for half an hour but nothing concrete.

My opinion is that overall the people here are nice and friendly but they seemed to be lacking concrete goal or they either don't know what exactly they are looking for or they are extremely fussy about making a selection. The reason why I'm saying this is I had the exact same work ex that match their documented requirements by over 90% and I demonstrated I have the right skills to resolve their current technical issues they were facing but it didn't catch attention of one or more people I interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• How do you predict the number of concurrent users for a new game launch given the DAU?
      How would you backup 100 databases on 100 different hosts through a single script?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This was a phone screen and take-home question. I solved the question, but declined to go further. I think these sorts of code puzzles are stupid. (Apparently there is a 30-word minimum for this box. I'm just typing this now to hit the silly, arbitrary minimum.)

Interview Questions

• There are 60 people in a restaurant at Narita International Airport. Of these, 42 are Japanese, 46 are male and 15 are children.

- Among the Japanese males, there are 4 children.
      - Among Japanese females, there are 8 adults.
      - There are only 3 non-Japanese females and all of them are children.

How many non-Japanese adult males are there?   1 Answer

Product Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at DeNA (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

3-5 hours interview one by one, and a written exercise after interview. On site interview -Meet people from production, product marketing, creative service. You'd better to play their games and share your feeling.

Interview Questions

• how do you plan to design icon and screenshots for a new game title   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at DeNA.

Interview

3 phone screens, 5 interviews on site, offer came fairly quickly.
    1st interview was with Brad, internal tech recruiter, he was cool.
    everyone was very nice; the process was efficient
    HR is excellent in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• only one whiteboard question and it was very specific to vector math, would have preferred multiple questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had another offer before DeNA's , and they beat it

Game Analytics and Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DeNA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial communications consisted of one interview by phone with not an HR, but with a person from the team directly. It included broad question on analytic methods used at previous job places. Afterwards there was an onsite interview which included speaking one on one with 5-6 persons from the team and an HR in the end. The office is nice and everybody is very friendly. The only drawback of the whole process is that everybody basically did not ask neither specific nor difficult questions, so it is impossible to understand how they differentiate people. It seems also that they do not prepare to the interview at all because not only one person who talked to me by phone asked me if that was she who talked to me by phone, she also wondered during 10 minutes what to ask me. So overall I can say nothing of the process - it was friendly, well planned from the point of view of timing, but did not give any possibility to show my competitive advantages and was poorly planned from the point of view of questions.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions at all. All questions were very broad - from very general discussions of analytic methods to discussion of hobbies   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

Interview

I had a phone screen and two on-site interviews. I felt the first interview went fairly well, all interviewers answered my questions and were nice. I was contacted a few days later to come in for a second interview.

Round two, I interviewed with another person and lastly had a Skype interview while I was at their office (a little strange). Then as I finished up, I was told that they were still going to screen applicants later that week (At my first interview I asked what next steps were and was told they would select their top two candidates from round one and then select one final candidate from round two interviews).

Why would a company have someone come in for round two interviews and waste the candidate's and their own time while they continue looking for more candidates? It made me more irritated since I'm working and taking time off to interview isn't easy. They should know this.

Don't waste your time with this company..

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Application

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me within 48 hours after I submitted my application. A phone screen was set up shortly after, followed my an onsite interview. The onsite interview was on a Friday during lunchtime, and I didn't know who was interviewing me until I arrived onsite. The interviews were pretty conversational. I noticed that none of the interviewers seemed excited about the company, which was disappointing.

Games Analyst and Design Interview

Interview

As a non-local candidate I went through a thorough interview process. It first started off with a phone screen, and then a phone interview. 3 Skype interviews followed all of which were similar in content -> understanding my comfort with mobile game design as well as fit for the company. Each interview was about 30minutes in length. They also send out an Excel test to complete, which takes about 2-3 hours to do. I was flown out to San Francisco for an on-site interview and the process was a day long event, but generally the same questions as in the past interviews. I was told that if I did well enough I would be able to meet C-level execs, which I did, but at the end did not receive the offer. The interviews were set up in a prompt manner, as emails and decisions for returned within days. The entire process took under a month. HR did great in making this a smooth and friendly process - this post is a shoutout to them!

Interview Questions

• Prepare for Game Design questions and understand the relevant data (in-game metrics) behind design for mobile games.   Answer Question