Direct Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Direct Technology Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.2

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Direct Technology.

Interview

Initially had phone interview. Then set up time for that week to go into the office for an interview. went into the office met with the office manager and the rick nelson came in and spoke with me and took time to show me around the office.

Interview Questions

• do i have experience working with high level executives?   Answer Question

.NET Developer Mid-level Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Direct Technology in October 2015.

Interview

They started with FizzBuzz which is easy for someone with a little bit of experience programming. Passed. Then 2 developers come in. They talk briefly, didn't even really introduce themselves and load up an app which I am to debug using VS 2010. I breezed through the initial bugs noticing and correcting them quickly. Then I came across stuff I'd never needed or done in programming before. As a consequence I'm mildly baffled but I'm trying to figure out what they were doing when I get told to move on. The rest I completed. They ask me questions, I ask them questions and we're done.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Direct Technology (Sacramento, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone call from in-house recruiter, phone interview with department manager, final was in-house panel interview with team. Overall the interview process is straight forward. People there are nice and polite.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Direct Technology in January 2015.

Interview

First you speak with a recruiter who works directly on behalf of the company. I thought my recruiter was a nice guy. He gave me a shot despite my relatively low experience, given I am at junior level and this was a more senior-level position.

However, when you arrive onsite, it may be a completely different story. There are several departments within Direct Technology, so your mileage may vary.

After the fizz buzz programming challenge, I was interviewed or *ahem* interrogated by two higher management employees. One was practically shouting at me half the time for my lack of familiarity with X or Y technology, while the other just sheepishly peeked at my resume and didn't say a word. Granted, I see he was looking for someone with a very particular skill set and experience, but there was no need to be so angry! Not a good first impression at all.

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Direct Technology (Roseville, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I'm a self-taught junior guy. Had all of 2 months experience when the recruiter reached out to me (I didn't apply). Said they were offering only $20-25/hr. Very personable guy, moved on to a phone screen with him (he is however non-technical so he just wrote down my answers) and felt I did pretty well. Classes/OOP, what's an abstract class, an override, polymorphism, WCF services, threading, etc. Didn't know everything but got a lot of the questions pretty solidly. Some general programming stuff, some specific domain knowledge.

I read the reviews here on Glassdoor and was VERY wary going in, but hey, I'm just getting started in the industry, why not give it a shot?

Moved on to an interview. Was told I would be doing a "simple test" just printing out some text for the first stage. I laughed when I got there. "We're doing fizzbuzz, aren't we?". Yep, fizzbuzz. Recruiter watched me implement it, literally jotted down the time taken on a piece of paper, then they brought in two guys, one a technical lead type and the other a manager. Did a test where you debug a broken web application; you keep hitting "run" and it keeps breaking and you try to fix it. Breezed through the first parts but stumbled on the later ones. Didn't expect to do great, did have only 2mo .NET at the time. No biggie. Was just kind of feeling this position out, as it's early in my career.

Then I talked to them both. The tech guy described their work, what they did and with what technologies, while the other grilled on personality and work style. This is the part that really rubbed me the wrong way. To be frank, the latter had a nasty personality, and confirmed all the horrible things I read here. Said they use Fizzbuzz because some people "can't code their way out of a paper bag", really badgered me for not giving satisfactory answers to how I would handle coding "Without requirements" (yes, they literally asked that) and similar questions trying to assess how much work they could squeeze out of you. This made them seem like a chopshop, and I'm not surprised they're reaching out to very green juniors when they really want mid to senior people; they probably can't keep good talent with a toxic environment like that.

In the end I got a call a day or too later saying they weren't moving forward. No biggie. Didn't expect to get it given my experience level. The technical guy was a quiet, nice, bearded nerd who I'd probably enjoy learning from, but the other guy was a window into a broken company culture and it's probably best I steer clear.

They said they use regexes heavily for some file format translation they're doing and that sounded interesting to me, but sadly their test didn't address regexes at all. A shame, because that's an area where I'm VERY strong, from my previous self-taught web development experience in Perl, PHP, JS, etc.

Otherwise, I was surprised how very sensible the technical portion of their interview process was. The broken web app thing seemed to apply directly to the kind of work done and give a good feel where a person stands. It's interesting that such a seemly broken company has such a sensible screening process (compared to the algorithmic questions, brain teasers, and whiteboard coding I've heard horror stories of other companies using)

(the reviews here also read as being largely phony and that was a HUGE red flag for me)

Manager Interview

Interview

Multiple interviews

Technical Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Direct Technology (Roseville, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Long, and long. This company shows no consideration for the candidate, red flag from the get go.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non existent

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Direct Technology (Roseville, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

First there was a 30-minute phone screen. When I passed that, I was invited on-site. The first thing they had me do was a simple programming exercise that any CS student could complete. This was to screen out non-developers. When that was completed, I was asked to do a more in-depth and challenging programming exercise to prove my skills.

Interview Questions

• I was first asked to write a function that would display words on the screen based on a simple algorithm. This was a screening activity that any CS student could complete in their sleep. Then they asked me to debug a very broken mess of a web application, finding and fixing all the bugs to get it to compile and run correctly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation. They offered a very low "probationary" wage that was supposed to last three months, at which time I was told I would be given a raise to a living wage, and would be hired on full-time. I should point out that it never happened. I stayed at my "probationary" wage for the duration of my employment. That's typical for Direct Technology. They will say anything to hire employees, but will never keep their promises. Beware!

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Direct Technology (Roseville, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Most of the recruiting was done over the phone, two in person interviews. I had encountered the CEO at a jobs fair, and had gotten a recommendation from military personnel onsite, due to my own military experience. The company is veteran owned.

Interview Questions

• Networking experience, Serial data experience, Linux experience   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Direct Technology.

Interview

Poorly organized interview, only basic programming questions asked.