Eagle Hill Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Eagle Hill Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.6

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting.

Interview

I applied for the position (found on LinkedIn) and then was sent an email to complete their top grading application. This is an extensive record of your employment history and academic history dating all the way back to high school. If you pass that round then you will be invited to a phone interview with the recruiter. If you pass that round you will be invited onsite in Crystal City for an onsite interview. Unfortunately, before my phone interview began she said it would have to be cut down to only 30 minutes. She seemed rushed, disinterested and unenthusiastic throughout our conversation. She said she would take my interview back to the team to discuss and they would get back to me in a week. I hadn't heard back in over a week and a half so I reached out to her directly for feedback and was almost immediately sent a no reply email stating they were not moving forward and then an email from her stating the same thing a couple hours later. I asked for feedback but she did not respond. Very surprised at my interview experience given other people's interactions with the recruiter but maybe it was just an off day.

Interview Questions

• Referred to a lot of what was recorded in the top grading application.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting (Washington, DC).

Interview

Eagle Hill has a very thorough interview process. I first applied online via their website after attending a graduate school info session they had at my university. I was impressed with how clean their work was and how well thought out their work was. They had a very good culture that I was able to pick up on and I thought it would be a great place to go to as opposed to massive consulting firm where it would be impersonal. As well their client list is impressive and they have been showing constant growth since they started.

After I had submitted my resume and my initial application I was selected to receive the Top Grade questionnaire form where I had 2 weeks to fill it out and return. They ask for everything regarding your work history, your experiences there, items you worked on, takeaways, and career direction all the way back to high school. Its pretty thorough and its a process I have never been thorough with that much detail.

I would then hear back roughly 6 weeks later that I would have my phone screen and then I was moved forward to do my in person interview. My in person interview was onsite at their Crystal City office and it lasted about 3 hours, and I was asked all about my form that I filled out in great detail, it really was in an in-depth interview and it was tough for me since I had to constantly go back and really think out my answer to help guide how them through my history. They are definitely looking to see if you will be a fit for their culture and I am sure for their clients, its through and I am sure there is a well thought out process for it. I would highly recommend reviewing your top grade answers and really knowing your work history and concrete experiences at your various employment locations before your onsite interview.

I also had an awesome recruiter, Chelsea really worked with me to guide me through the process. She was an All-star in making sure I got the information I needed and coordinating. She was very professional and worked to ensure that regardless of outcome there was a quality experience in the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about concrete experiences in where you experienced failure at work and how did you and your supervisor moe forward from that?   Answer Question

Leadership Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Wow! Best. Recruiter. Ever.

I had the great pleasure of working with Amy Fuller. She knows how to deliver a fantastic candidate experience. Her prompt follow-up, very thorough information, and willingness to answer all of my questions make it clear she emulates two of Eagle Hill's values - collaboration and impact.

Sometimes recruiters get a bad reputation. Amy's actions make her stand out as a shining example of what other recruiters should emulate. I can imagine Amy isn't the only Eagle Hill recruiter with these great qualities. When Eagle Hill calls you, I strongly recommend you pick up the phone.

While I didn't get the role, Amy was able to give some very specific feedback as to why I wasn't selected. Most companies will give you the generic - thanks but no thanks. It says a lot that Amy was willing to spend 15 minutes with me.

Thank you again for a fantastic experience!

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting.

Interview

The interview process is long, and the interview itself is long. This is to ensure that employees are a great fit for the firm. Looking at other negative reviews - I think that if you did a little research into Topgrading you would see the extreme benefits of the process. Eagle Hill and its employees are also very willing to discuss the specific ways that the firm tailors it to their needs, and it is one of the things employees like the most about the firm. It is one important thing that has not been compromised as Eagle Hill is growing.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crystal City, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting (Crystal City, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I filled out a short web form and received the very lengthy Topgrading career history form in a subsequent email. After this, I had an hour-long telephone interview with a recruiter followed by a two-hour in-person interview with two consultants.

Certain elements of the Topgrading process seem thoughtful, but due to poor time management my in-person interview was heavily weighted toward high school and college experiences as well as the early years of my career. We skipped over graduate school and had very little time for my current role. My interviewers were very fixated on setbacks and mistakes, asking numerous follow-up questions about them, and they did not seem nearly as interested in my successes and strengths. Many of the questions (e.g., "How did this setback feel?" "What was this experience like?") made me feel like I was in therapy, not applying for a job. On the one hand, I can understand the desire to get to know me and assess what kind of person I am, but this line of questioning reached the point of being excessive and even, I felt, a bit inappropriate.

Six business days after my interview, I received a one-paragraph form letter rejection from a "noreply" email address. I likely wasn't a good fit for this role or organization, but this is among the colder and less cordial rejections I've received over the course of my career.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting (Arlington, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

I first applied online and was invited to continue the process via a very comprehensive worksheet, which was invasive and irrelevant. They asked for salary information and contact information for jobs from 10 years ago. For example, would you ask a 34-year-old what disappointments s/he had at a job from 2003 at any other company? Despite the red flags that stack the negotiation in the company's favor, I gamely replied and received a phone interview, where we had a rather nebulous chat about how this position squared with my ideal position and competencies, including asking for specifics that were not applicable in my case. I was vaguely put off. Then, I was invited to the in-person round, which was the coup de grace. The people I spoke with were generally not impressive people. They looked ground down by their work and would rather not be there. They were asking questions like I was in therapy ("How did you feel about the setback in 2005", "Tell me more about your disappointment", "What does your disappointment mean to you?") and relying heavily on pregnant pauses to get more information out of you. When I figured out what they were doing and stopped responding to wait for the next question, they kept saying, "Can you talk more about that?" when there was all there was to say. When I challenged them, they moved on. When I asked about the interviewers' experiences, they seemed pretty blah on the company - not enthusiastic at all - and when I asked about how they found their way to the company, they could not provide the same detail they required of me. I received a rejection a few weeks later, and I didn't care. I was more offended that Eagle Hill set a different standard for itself than for its applicants.

I understand that they are trying to hire the best possible people and to avoid costly mis-hires. At the same time, Eagle Hill's interviewing policy stacks the deck in their favor to a point where it doesn't seem like they trust their employees, and this process is the stage when they are trying to attract people into a company that does not have a big name, have an impressive client list, or record of exceptional engagements, compared to a Booz Allen Hamilton or a Deloitte who are much more prestigious and professional in their recruitment.

Interview Questions

• "What does that disappointment mean to you?"   1 Answer

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting in September 2016.

Interview

I applied to a posting on the Eagle Hill website. A few days later, I received an email requesting that I complete the Topgrading profile so they could learn more. In both of these forms, I was asked for my salary expectations. A recruiter then contacted me to schedule a phone interview. The interview was perfectly reasonable with standard questions; however, when compensation came up, I was told that the position was significantly below my desired number, and noticeably below my existing salary.

I appreciate the Topgrading approach, and I wanted to like EHC going into the call. That said, it is not right to move a candidate through the process when you know from the start that the compensation is so far off from his expectations… especially after he has already given you every detail about his employment history.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why are you leaving your current position if you had success there?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter. Very friendly and quick. She told me that they do TopGrading at Eagle Hill. I was given a link to a website where I had to provide a full job history.... listing every full-time job I've ever had. This meant every salary (starting and finishing), every manager name and contact info and full scope of all positions as well as accomplishments. I was also asked to list every club I did in high school and college including honors, awards and achievements. It took me 2 days to gather everything and call old jobs and ask for salary history. I had a 90 minute behavioral interview. Standard questions. Tell me about a time when,...I walked away with a positive impression of the company and really liked them. I was then brought in for a 4-hour 2-person panel where we went over my Top Grading application. In one morning (with 1 ten minute break), you walk through the sum of one's entire professional accomplishments including mistakes and conflicts with former bosses who may or may not have a favorable impression of you. Ultimately i was told my experience was impressive but I wasn't offered the position since I lacked account experience in a certain area that they wanted to grow. It was disappointing and frankly I wish they had filtered me out at the beginning rather than go through such an intense process. However, I will give two thumbs up to the personable recruiter who told me this over the phone, rather than send an email or just not call back. I consider it neither good or bad - great experience with the recruiter and my first two interviews and the final interview and application were quite intense.

Interview Questions

• What would this former boss say about you? Anything negative? Please know that we may call them to see what they say.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting.

Interview

Overall, it was a very good experience! The recruiter and hiring managers were extremely professional, friendly and helpful throughout the process. I especially appreciate how fast they made decisions and moved me through their process. Eagle Hill uses the Topgrading method to hiring. This means if your resume is selected, you will fill out an extensive career history form that includes every job you've ever had, salary data and a self-evaluation. I subsequently had a phone interview and an in-depth behavioral-style interview that followed the Topgrading formula. They also request writing samples. While it sounds intimidating, I can see why Eagle Hill choses Topgrading for interviewing candidates as it provides objectivity and clear behavioral patterns that help assess fit. The only part that is a bit uncomfortable is that they will ask you for your current manager as a reference.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Eagle Hill Consulting (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for an associate position. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter that lasted over an hour. I then came in for an in person interview and went through the entire top-grading system. The interview was almost 2 hours long and required me to speak about my experiences both positive and negative from high school, college and all of my previous jobs. After the in person interview, I had probably 5-6 follow up calls with the recruiter and managers. Eventually received a verbal offer and was waiting for follow up. When I reconnected with the recruiter after she had been out of the office, she said they were putting my offer on hold. I never heard back from them. It was really a frustrating experience. They really emphasize their position as a top employer but receiving a verbal offer and then having them slowly back away without any explanation was overall a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your former manager. What did they do well and what were their weaknesses?   Answer Question

Eagle Hill Consulting Response

Aug 18, 2016 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our recruiting process. Our goal is to provide a positive experience to all candidates. I am sorry to hear that this was not your experience. I... More